Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

A very disappointed (and rather annoyed) Diviner.

AuthorMessage
Explorer
Dec 13, 2008
I am a level 35 storm wizard, as such it is very difficult to solo, and I can hardly ever find help in Marlybone. But this is not my point. When trying to find help I came across a master ice wizard, when I asked for help he simply said "um" and teleported away. Not even a simple "sorry, I am very busy."I am very disappointed in how players treat each other in the game. I strongly think that players NEED to be more helpful to each other and at least be polite when they say no when you ask for help.

I apologize if there is a thread like this, but this needs to be said.

Survivor
Dec 21, 2008
Not sure who you ran into, and sorry for your misfortune. Though not all wizards are this way. I have been known to stand in wizard city near the lake and offer aid to anyone who needs it.

I have even taken the liberty to create a thread on the forums here stating that I am willing to aid people if they just tell me when and where. However, this thread must still be awaiting aproval by the staff.

There are friendly wizards out there that go out of their way to aid others, so dont give up. Another possibility you might want to check out is go to the fan sites and ask for help on the forums. Wizard 101 central has an area for quest help and meet ups.

Survivor
Feb 27, 2009
I'm a life/death wizard and am a pretty good friend in a pinch.

Oran Mistbringer... feel free to add me or message for help.

Squire
Dec 02, 2008
Some players will stand in some spot begging anyone who comes by for help. Ask what they want, and they want you to come kill some easy non-boss mobs for them. That's the sort of thing that, if a player can't do it himself, then I wouldn't want to group with him. If he can do it himself, then grouping with him only wastes my time and doesn't help him any.

In some other games where people do this, the reason is that they're way too low level for what they want to do. Someone standing in Mooshu begging for help might be level 10 for all I know, and wanting someone to powerlevel him. In that case, if he can't clear something, it's his own fault, and he should go back to areas his own level. That the game doesn't display player levels makes it harder to pick them out.

The problem with this is that if you're asking for help, you can easily blend in with people like the above cases. It's one thing to ask for help with an area that is genuinely hard. Expecting someone else to drop what they're doing to run you through something that you should have been able to do yourself is wholly unreasonable. Running people through such things only "helps" them avoid learning how to play the game properly, which isn't really that helpful.

One thing I'd advise is that if you're going to ask for help, say what you want help with. I'd be willing to help someone who has cleared to Bellows, died, and wants help finishing Counterweight West. I wouldn't be willing to help clear some easy non-boss mobs where even the naive approach of only using direct damage cards will work.

Defender
Sep 22, 2008
It all depends on who your friends are or who you run into. I was lucky to get some good friends that helped me.

Defender
Aug 19, 2008
I can understand how this could be a problem...

Makes me wonder sometimes though. I started playing wizard alone and have brought many wizards through most of the way to Dragonspyre before getting my family to join me. I still enjoy the challenge of playing alone....

Through Wizard City I used the theory that the boss battle had to be possible for me to do...and guess what...even though I might have died once or twice...I always won eventually.

For me it was gravy to get there and find someone else waiting.

I have run long roads in Mooshu and Dragonspyre to get to the next part of my quest...to have someone I befriended in Wizard City or Krokotopia.... (I hate to say no)....ask me to please come help them cause they had a big battle.

I don't go as often as I used to. I have teleported back to find them standing at the door with friends and not all could go in! Hello! They just wanted a "big wizard" there to make sure they made it through.

So before you ask for help, you should at least try it first. Try it a few times.

Then, if you can't win, tell me you really did try and you can't and I will come help.

Also: slightly off topic: I had a wizard ask me yesterday to help with the Ironworks. Understand if you are doing an instance level that you need to find others who need it. I didn't have the time to invest in a task I have helped tons of others through. Its not that hard!

My point in the rambling? Work with people in your area. Find others that have the same task. Friend people in the area you are working. Develop friendships with those moving at your pace.

Defender
Feb 18, 2009
I would have to agree with all the comments made here. I too find myself helping others for the benefit to them and for myself. By helping them they finish the task they are stuck on and by helping them I get more experience to level up, not to mention the extra "drops" for money and such. Shoot, I found just yesterday I helped someone in the Vault of Ice and I FINALLY got the pet drop (Krokomummy). I worked on that by myself for over 20 tries before I gave up and the first time I help someone else ...>BAMMM....there's the drop.

I am very sorry to hear that someone was the rude to you but please don't feel that all wizards are that way. I even gave out my unwanted treasure cards to people yesterday as a gift from one wizard to another. I did this because there were many that I would never use because it would not benefit my fighting skills. I plan on doing it again once the pile is up again ;)

See ya in the Spiral,
Hunter SilverHeart

Survivor
Dec 31, 2008
It's also worth pointing out that high level wizards get asked for help a lot, and surprisingly few times are other players terribly understanding of that. I originally made a lot of friends with my first wizard (which, sadly, I now view as something of a mistake), and before long she was being bombarded with texts begging her to help with all kinds of low-level bosses and instances. It got to the point where I would log on, and by the time my screen loaded there would already be a cry for help sitting there on the side!

Also, few wizards simply take "no, thank you" for an answer. Admittedly simply jumping away is rude; but that ice wizard probably has had the same experiences I have had, where turning a request down is not regarded as an answer, but rather as an invitation to argue the point ad naseum.

Cynical wrote:
I have run long roads in Mooshu and Dragonspyre to get to the next part of my quest...to have someone I befriended in Wizard City or Krokotopia.... (I hate to say no)....ask me to please come help them cause they had a big battle.

I don't go as often as I used to. I have teleported back to find them standing at the door with friends and not all could go in! Hello! They just wanted a "big wizard" there to make sure they made it through.

Two more excellent points. A lot of wizards have a pretty broad definition of exactly what an "emergency" is.

And some places in Mooshu (especially) and Dragonspyre (to a somewhat lesser extent) take a loooooooong time just to get to, once you've ported away from it. If I have already made the ten-minute run just to get to a boss in Mooshu that I need to fight, and then I get a request for help from somebody having a problem in an entirely different part of the Spiral, please understand that I have now spent twenty minutes out of my day (almost a half-hour!) just literally running from one spot to the next!

Explorer
Sep 11, 2008
Cynical wrote:

Makes me wonder sometimes though. I started playing wizard alone and have brought many wizards through most of the way to Dragonspyre before getting my family to join me. I still enjoy the challenge of playing alone....

Through Wizard City I used the theory that the boss battle had to be possible for me to do...and guess what...even though I might have died once or twice...I always won eventually.

So before you ask for help, you should at least try it first. Try it a few times.

Then, if you can't win, tell me you really did try and you can't and I will come help.

Also: slightly off topic: I had a wizard ask me yesterday to help with the Ironworks. Understand if you are doing an instance level that you need to find others who need it. I didn't have the time to invest in a task I have helped tons of others through. Its not that hard!

My point in the rambling? Work with people in your area. Find others that have the same task. Friend people in the area you are working. Develop friendships with those moving at your pace.

Ironworks is not hard. I agree. I am still working on it, but you will NEVER win if you are really busy in work. I soloed through the hole thing i almost defeated Pops O'Leary, but time was late and I had to work. I can tell you that. Since you always have to restart the lvl when you log off. So you shouldn't just say "NO!" if someone asks you to help them in Ironworks all the time. I mean it isn't hard, but its really rude to do that
people. Players should be nice and they shouldn't even play if they are being rude to other players. You might as well get reported and then get banned.

Survivor
Jul 15, 2008
Dorrisa wrote:
So you shouldn't just say "NO!" if someone asks you to help them in Ironworks all the time. I mean it isn't hard, but its really rude to do that
people. Players should be nice and they shouldn't even play if they are being rude to other players. You might as well get reported and then get banned.

I agree that you shouldn't just say no all the time if someone asks for your help. But I disagree that you'd want people to get banned just because they were rude to you.

You said so yourself that you are busy and don't have time to do your quests or instances. It's possible also that the same people that you consider rude for refusing to help are also busy and don't have time to help.

Even if this is a game, it's still people behind all the avatars you see running around. And you can't force people to help you whenever you want. That's just not right.

A lot of people have managed to almost solo the game and reach dragonspyre. So forgive me if I refuse to believe that you can't make it on your own if no one helps you. Storm could pretty much one-hit anything so I suggest that you concentrate on getting gears that increase your accuracy to minimize fizzles.

Us Ice school students like to collect gears that increase HP or defenses. Cause our battles tend to last longer due to the fact that we usually have to hit our opponents twice to take them down.

Survivor
Mar 29, 2009
Elessar wrote:
I am a level 35 storm wizard, as such it is very difficult to solo, and I can hardly ever find help in Marlybone.

Out of curiosity, at what level did you first start finding it hard to solo as a Storm wizard? I just started playing a week ago, and wound up as a Storm wizard because of the answers I gave to the questions it asked when I first logged on, not even knowing even what choices were available. I'm level 28 now, and have not yet had any difficulties soloing, except for the Tomb of the Beguiler, which I needed to completely re-tool my deck for after failing on my first 2 tries.

I just hit Marlybone last night, and so far Hyde Park is very easy. I'm guessing there must be instances coming up soon that aren't solo-friendly?

Explorer
Dec 13, 2008
Thanks guys, I guess I was being pretty over dramatic, but I do want to see people being more helpful, as lupan said, people are behind those avatars, you can't force them to do something, but the people who really need help who are turned down have feelings so don't treat others like they aren't real people.

Plus, I took your advice and found somebody with the same quest, and have just finished crimson fields in mooshu woot! and andrewgr maybe I just have serious strategy issues with my deck, but you might want help on some instances.

Squire
Dec 02, 2008
I can understand being unable to solo Counterweight West or Tomb of the Beguiler as soon as you get access to them. But if you're unable to solo Crimson Fields, you're doing something seriously wrong, and you'd best figure it out soon. Everything in Mooshu is easily soloable, with perhaps the exception of Youkai (which is an optional fight) for some classes.

Survivor
Dec 21, 2008
I understand where you are coming from. I used to help everyone, but then I stopped. People would text me things like port now, and if I responded in battle atm, I would get back I died thanks for nothing. Or when I did show up they would put in all caps "GO" to try to make me go in first even if I was lower level. So those people were removed. I now try to choose my friends wisely. I have had people use me as a portal, and I have had someone port to me while I was in the tree of life doing the oakheart quest, and go kill the oni without me. The other day my little girl was playing (she doesnt read very well), her character is level 15 life, and someone asked her to help in big ben and she came and died and there were 2 people there who knew she couldnt read and they were saying dont heal her, just let her die. Well the nice one who asked her didnt listen to his friend and healed her, but still the one who told him not to heal her was a high level character. I loved the game and the people on the game until I became higher level where I was introduced to the "elite" of wizard 101 and found quite evil people who not only practice these behaviors but insist that you be like them or they say bad things about you like your stupid and such. This needs to be turned around and rewarding the highest level in pvp isnt right at this time because these people have terrible behaviors and some of them are big names on the forum. I think the forum should encourage good sportsmanship and treating others nice.

Defender
Aug 19, 2008
Firefly555 wrote:
I understand where you are coming from. I used to help everyone, but then I stopped. People would text me things like port now, and if I responded in battle atm, I would get back I died thanks for nothing. Or when I did show up they would put in all caps "GO" to try to make me go in first even if I was lower level. So those people were removed. I now try to choose my friends wisely. I have had people use me as a portal, and I have had someone port to me while I was in the tree of life doing the oakheart quest, and go kill the oni without me.

The other day my little girl was playing (she doesnt read very well), her character is level 15 life, and someone asked her to help in big ben and she came and died and there were 2 people there who knew she couldnt read and they were saying dont heal her, just let her die. Well the nice one who asked her didnt listen to his friend and healed her, but still the one who told him not to heal her was a high level character.

I loved the game and the people on the game until I became higher level where I was introduced to the "elite" of wizard 101 and found quite evil people who not only practice these behaviors but insist that you be like them or they say bad things about you like your stupid and such. This needs to be turned around and rewarding the highest level in pvp isnt right at this time because these people have terrible behaviors and some of them are big names on the forum. I think the forum should encourage good sportsmanship and treating others nice.

Oh that makes me so sad about your little girl!

It is even sadder that we need to have this conversation.

I spend a lot of my time on Wizard 101 helping others, the few times I don't it probably doesn't sit well with others. Generally I don't ask others for help. I either join someone or wait until I am strong enough to do the battle myself.

Not all "big" wizards are bad. I don't pvp so I don't know about that.

Let's all make a point of being considerate of others.

Survivor
Mar 22, 2009
Some players are just like that, but there isn't alot to complain about. I've noticed out of all the online interactive games i've played this is probably the nices and most fun i've played. There are alot of games and people in life who could be ALOT worse than what this person recently did to you.

Survivor
Mar 16, 2009
Beauxarts wrote:
Some players are just like that, but there isn't alot to complain about. I've noticed out of all the online interactive games i've played this is probably the nices and most fun i've played. There are alot of games and people in life who could be ALOT worse than what this person recently did to you.

I have to concur, in major ways on this. As a female who has gamed quite a bit throughout her teenage and early adult years, I've learned the hard way to choose a male character until I find out what everyone is like on here. I feel comfortable playing a female on this game, which is much changed from what I usually feel in an MMO.

This being said, I tend to never turn down a call for help unless I'm questing myself and absolutely can't leave. If this is the case, I let whoever is asking know that I'm in the middle of a quest myself, and they usually let it go at that. If they press the point, or get rude, they'll get removed.

And to the question of when it becomes somewhat difficult to solo as a Diviner...I'm at Level 26 now trying to work my way through the Tomb of Storms, and I'm having more difficulty than normal. The princes, in particular, are currently burrs under my saddle. But I personally think that's less of a 'I can't Solo this as a Diviner' thing and more of a 'Time to temporarily redo the deck' thing, which I'm currently in the process of doing. I actually got on to find the lists of 'opposite' powers so that I could use up all of those training points I've saved and take the element I'm weak against, in the event that I come up against this problem again in the future.

Cheers!~

Sydney NightRiver

Defender
Dec 09, 2008
Elessar wrote:
I am a level 35 storm wizard, as such it is very difficult to solo, and I can hardly ever find help in Marlybone. But this is not my point. When trying to find help I came across a master ice wizard, when I asked for help he simply said "um" and teleported away. Not even a simple "sorry, I am very busy."I am very disappointed in how players treat each other in the game. I strongly think that players NEED to be more helpful to each other and at least be polite when they say no when you ask for help.

Was the wizard John IceBlade?

Survivor
Mar 17, 2009

I know what you mean. I hate to say ''no'' too. I'm an ice student level 42 and trying to beat Mooshu
Sometimes I can't even finish my quests because friends call for help all the time. I always go and most of the times I find them with a low level boss that they could easily handle by themselves.
All I'm saying is that when you call for help it should be for something serious and after you have tried first by yourself.
I think I should stop help others all the time...

Survivor
Sep 27, 2008
Elessar wrote:

Yes, this is a very sad thing to do, one thing I hate about those kinds of wizards :(. Like our teachers mentioned, always help a wizard in need........

Secondly, why not change to another realm? It's a beautiful feature in WIzard101! YOu should try Ambrose, Area 1 sometimes, it's very helpful. There is your friend's list too! Your friends are there to help( hopefully)