Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

I don't get Earthquake

AuthorMessage
Defender
Jun 14, 2010
Hi everyone,
Just have a quick question about Myth's Earthquake.
I realize this game is about fantasy, and things shouldn't be taken too seriously - but one thing I do not understand is, what do earthquakes have to do with myths? If anything, Earthquake is the most realistic spell in the game.. So why is it considered mythical? :p

PS - this post is not a complaint about Earthquake. I have nothing against it. I often use it on my Balance wizard. Just wondering, that's all.

Thx

Mastermind
Aug 01, 2009
very good question, i am curious to see the response and the logic behind that as well. sounds like it should be more of a storm spell huh?

Defender
May 31, 2011
Well you got me curious on that so I did a little bit of researching. What I have concluded comes from Greek mythology. One of the Titans was Atlas who was believed to hold the earth on his shoulders. It was believed that if the earth quaked it was because Atlas shrugged.

Armiger
Feb 25, 2009
I have to agree with Jakehjk3. That is a very good question.

Maybe earthquake should have been a balance spell. It certainly does not fit Myth.

Defender
Jun 14, 2010
safyrmoon wrote:
One of the Titans was Atlas who was believed to hold the earth on his shoulders. It was believed that if the earth quaked it was because Atlas shrugged.

Thx for the info Safyrmoon. That's a great possible explanation. I completely forgot about Atlas :p

Now where's Cyrus Drake with a snide, yet witty response when you need him..?

Defender
May 31, 2011
loki1201 wrote:
safyrmoon wrote:
One of the Titans was Atlas who was believed to hold the earth on his shoulders. It was believed that if the earth quaked it was because Atlas shrugged.

Thx for the info Safyrmoon. That's a great possible explanation. I completely forgot about Atlas :p

Now where's Cyrus Drake with a snide, yet witty response when you need him..?

You are very welcome.

LOL It would be interesting to here what he would have to say. I wonder if he may be about somewhere and see this thread ;)

Hero
Sep 08, 2008
I think of it this way. Myth is "Earth."

So, earthquake makes sense to me.

However, I hate how pathetically weak Earthquake is.

Yes, yes, don't even tell me. "Well, earthquake effect is the best thing you can ask for in PvP." But I just don't think so in PvE. And I don't PvP. And I don't think earthquake was designed exclusively for PvP combat. Was it?

I don't think there even was PvP in 2008 when I first started.

Survivor
Dec 31, 2010
Well according to ancient myth, some major (but mythical events) were caused by earth quakes. Like atlantis was believed to be sunk by an earth quake and the walls of troy were beleived to have been knocked down by an earthquake. With the troy one, the paticular greek God for earthquakes had a ancient symbol. What's that symbol? A horse! So earthquakes have been the ground shaking breakthrough in explaining myth (pun intended )

Sincerely Jeffrey Spirithunter
lvl 70 Necromancer
"To control the future, one must look to the past..."

Defender
May 15, 2010
Myth 'shatters' spells. This is why it is Myth. It does not really matter much in higher level spells what they appear as. Just the effects.

Archon
Oct 24, 2010
safyrmoon wrote:
Well you got me curious on that so I did a little bit of researching. What I have concluded comes from Greek mythology. One of the Titans was Atlas who was believed to hold the earth on his shoulders. It was believed that if the earth quaked it was because Atlas shrugged.

Exactly! :D

Survivor
Feb 28, 2009
I believe it was Poseidon of Greek mythology who not only was the god of the sea but also the god of earthquakes. Therefore, this makes "earthquake" a Myth spell. Hope this helps!

--Sabrina Goldendust
Lvl 45 Conjurer

Survivor
Jan 11, 2012
Defender
Apr 24, 2009
Well, here is my theory on the earthquake spell, and why its on the game.

If you have ever learned about greek mythology, i think remember the greeks thought hades ( i think thats his name) would cause earthquakes when he was furious.

so, like when he is mad, earthquakes cause, but thats in greek myth, i dont know for actual fact, so DONT take my word for it!

Defender
Apr 24, 2009
Disregard my previous statement, it was poseidon who had the ability to cause earthquakes.

Explorer
May 22, 2011
I agree with goldendragon18, earthquake should have been balance, and hydra should have been myth.