Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Dye Shop

AuthorMessage
Explorer
Dec 22, 2008
Hello Wizards and KI Staff:

I am posting in regards to the dye shop and the amount of gold it costs to change the colors of an item.

With the new shared bank feature I saved several of my crown items to hand down to my lower level wizards. I have several wizards, each of different schools and like to dye their clothes to match their school colors. Originally the robe in question was dyed green/silver. Upon changing the colors I discovered it would cost a staggering 7000 gold to change the robe to black/silver, and that was only changing one of the colors, I left the silver in their hoping it would make a difference, but it didn't.

I played around with the colors and found that if I chose black/gold, it would only cost approx 4500 to dye the robe. I really don't understand the system for how colors are priced, but I would have settled for this (even though it wasn't really what I wanted) if I had the gold.

This is irritating since by the time I save up enough gold for this, I probably won't need the robe any longer. I know this is just a cosmetic feature and not a big deal, but I see my daughter, who is 7 and really loves to change her clothes around, get frustrated with the fact that it costs so much to just change the colors (not to mention myself, as an adult). I guess I would understand the pricing if I was changing stats or gaining something other than a cosmetic effect, but I'm not.

Could someone at KI take a look at this and please explain to me the importance of charging so much just to change the way your wizard looks?

I do understand the idea of saving for something, but there is nothing gained in this but a cosmetic effect.

Thank you for any and all replies.

Survivor
Feb 14, 2009
Dad here...

We are in complete agreement. Both my son and I are totally frustrated by this. The pricing seems to be demand based - more popular colors cost more. This makes no sense.

Pricing should be tied to the cost of the garment - sell-back is about 5% of retail. Re-dying should be half that.

Explorer
Mar 03, 2009
Imagine the frustration of a Necromancer that loves having black/black clothes. The prices for it are a little bit ridiculous, in my opinion, especially considering they are school colors for me. I could understand if I was dying clothes green and blue on my necromancer being really expensive, as they aren't school colors, but they would actually be CHEAPER!!!

I understand the demand-based argument, but if it's the color of your school, can't you get a break?

Survivor
Mar 18, 2009
Explorer
Dec 22, 2008
Defender
Feb 18, 2009
I too agree. The "Dad here" above made a very good suggestion to have it based on a 5% increase on purchase and a 5% decrease upon selling of such item. I think that would be a great idea. I didn't know it was based off of popularity but if that truly is the case, I honestly feel that is not a very good reason to have the prices so high. So what if people want to all look like Slim Shady, let em'. .....lol.

Thanks,
Hunter SilverHeart

Explorer
Feb 09, 2009
Just made a praise post in another section, but have to agree with this color thing. These prices are ridiculous. 5000 gold to change the color on a level 10-15 item you've got to be kidding me. By that level you haven't even got that much gold yet.

Sure I could drop another $20 bucks or so on the game but I'm not going to do that for an item I'm going to wear for maybe another 3-4 levels. I've already dropped a good $120-$150 on our family plan I think you've sucked about as much real money out of me as you can.

This cost is just ridiculous.

Explorer
Feb 07, 2009
I also agree that the prices are amazingly inflated for just cosmetic changes. I hope the prices are made more reasonable.

Explorer
Dec 22, 2008
Just wondering if someone from KI could please address this? At least an explanation of the prices?

Please, pretty please with sugar on top?

And BTW Gamma, did I tell you how great a job you've been doing lately? And Professor Greyrose, did you do something with your hair? I mean, wow!

:D

Survivor
Dec 31, 2008
I agree 100 percent! A suggestion I have would be to have those colors that represent each class be least expensive. So fire Students could dye Red or pink for less cost, and Ice students could dye blue for less cost and so on. Right now the most inexpensive for girls is White and Gold and then for boys it is Gold and gold and that starts to get really boring.

Survivor
Apr 15, 2009
I am assuming that the difference in cost is to promote variety among players. If something like black/black is extremely expensive, it is because that is obviously a choice that a good majority of players will choose, regardless of school.

I am also going to guess that the price scales high with level/gear, because they want it to remain something special (having an entire outfit decked out in matching colors) even though it is purely cosmetic.

I wouldn't mind the price if we only had to do it a few times, but it does get ridiculous when you consider that some items only last for a few levels.

Perhaps if the price scaled in a way where say items in the level 1-30 range remains cheap, 31-40 a decent amount more expensive, and the good stuff at 41-50 is very expensive. So to get both the high end good gear and the matching colors, it would take money.

Survivor
Apr 15, 2009
I made a post about this yesterday. I 100% agree that the cost of a small cosmetic change is WAY to much. I suggested A base cost like $1000 for main part and $500 for trim. That way with a base cost you always know how much you need to dye and the price even though still high to just dye it is far more reasonable then what they have now. I would understand the pricing if color some how changed the stats of the item but they do not.

If they truly made this game targeting Kids then they would know this needs to be changed. My niece is 10 all she cares about in game is looking pretty so she runs around in armor WAY to low level for her because it looks pretty.

Mastermind
Sep 20, 2008
:(

I've argued about this point a very long time;.... but nobody is interested in the basic fact that not only are Dye Shop prices purposefully inflated but unfair between Boys and Girl.

I did a test : A Male Wizard, pricing a Robe at White and Brown (lowest possible cost, BTW). I wrote the price down as well as took a Screenshot.
I then priced the same Robe, being force to choose White and Silver since Brown in not a female-color option; and the same Robe costed me a lot more! A few percentages more in fact.

I personally live with, since complainning about it gets your Posts erased and E-Mails from staff pointedly stated that such Posts constitute "Vulgar language"...

Live with or leave ... That's the only options they're giving you...

Scarlet SkullHammer (Death 38, Black Cat Pet, "Shadow")

:(

Survivor
Sep 21, 2008
i actully have a lvl 8 friend who has all black/black clothing and it cost him around 79 gold to get

Survivor
Mar 14, 2009
ShadowTwisted wrote:
Imagine the frustration of a Necromancer that loves having black/black clothes. The prices for it are a little bit ridiculous, in my opinion, especially considering they are school colors for me. I could understand if I was dying clothes green and blue on my necromancer being really expensive, as they aren't school colors, but they would actually be CHEAPER!!!

I understand the demand-based argument, but if it's the color of your school, can't you get a break?

Reading your post gave me an idea! (you may want to duck and cover)

Each school has there colors. (Ex. Death - Black and White)

So if your going to die something your school colors it should cost around 75% less of what it does now.

If you are dying something one of your school colors and a second non-school color it would cost 50% of what it does now. :)

If you are being completely random and dye something comepletely different then you school colors it should cost 25% of what it does now. Cause come on dye should not be that expensive. :D