Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

What is all the gifting people talk about?

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Mar 18, 2012
Been playing several days now, and even got the wife to play. We are both Subs, but people talk about being gifted packs and such. A: What is gifting stuff? and, if it costs $$$ why do people even do it?. Also, one other ? Wife and I hated when the 1 day broom ran out, but it is either 1500ish coin to buy a daily mount or 10 REAL dollars to buy a permanent broom. Is their any mobs that at lest have a chance of a perm mount? It hard out there in the Obama years, and we are playing this because it is AWESOME and it is also a LOT less expensive than DCUO, WoW, or any of the other games I have played in the last 12 years. Any answers are welcome and appreciated.

Survivor
Feb 13, 2012
1. Other players will ask you to gift them crown bought items, especially the card packs. In my experience it is generally kids asking for them because they have no way to buy them and I guess children (like mine) are more than happy to ask for what they want :)
2. You can buy mounts for gold in the crown shop (look for the gold tab on the right hand side). The cost is around 50k. As soon as you hit lvl 2 in gardening whip up a big batch of stinkweed and they will pop out treasure cards you can sell at the bazaar along with gold. 50K will come sooner than you think.
3. I usually set aside $15 a month for any MMO, even if it's free to play. Times are hard, but as I've found out too, Wizard101 has quite a bit more to it than other MMOs I've payed more for, such as WoW, SWTOR, etc. As a gamer dad, I'm more than happy to pay for a casual friendly MMO with a wide array of things to do in game.

Archon
Oct 24, 2010
pathelas69 wrote:
Been playing several days now, and even got the wife to play. We are both Subs, but people talk about being gifted packs and such. A: What is gifting stuff? and, if it costs $$$ why do people even do it?. Also, one other ? Wife and I hated when the 1 day broom ran out, but it is either 1500ish coin to buy a daily mount or 10 REAL dollars to buy a permanent broom. Is their any mobs that at lest have a chance of a perm mount? It hard out there in the Obama years, and we are playing this because it is AWESOME and it is also a LOT less expensive than DCUO, WoW, or any of the other games I have played in the last 12 years. Any answers are welcome and appreciated.

Kids ask for gifts all the time. Yes you can do it...items in the crown shop can be gifted. No I do not do it. Ever.
The broom is the least expensive mount, at approximately 5,000 crowns, of $5. You don't need a mount to get around, although it does make things move quicker.
No boss in the game drops a permanent mount.
The choices are yours as to buy crowns/crown items or not. They are not necessary at all to move ahead in the game.

Adherent
Mar 12, 2010
pathelas69 wrote:

Hi. And welcome to the game and the Message Boards.

Since you're new, you might want to check out some of the fansites too. They have tons of information and help. You can click on "Community News" on the left side of this page to find some of them.

Here is a link to the one of the fansites that I like the most:

http://www.wizard101central.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=81&order=desc&page=2

You can do a search on there for "dropped permanent mounts" just to give you an idea of what's out there.

Hope this helps, and enjoy the game!

*Edited: the first link I posted did not work. Entered a new link.*

Archon
Feb 07, 2011
pathelas69 wrote:

Welcome, to both of you!

1. Gifting requests from complete strangers are annoying, not to mention rude. That said, some people have real-life friends and family in-game, and will give them gifts for their birthdays and stuff.

(Note: You can turn your gifting off by clicking My Accounts>the Disable button beside "gifting". My gifting button is off, and will stay that way).

2. I've gotten perm mounts as drops before- Kraken (I once got Bat Wings from him), and a couple of the other bosses in Wizard City drop them as well. Nothing else that I remember offhand, but I'm level 70 and it's been a long time since I hung around those parts.

3. Agreed- it's much cheaper. My man plays SWTOR, and 2 months of membership there costs what I pay here for an entire year... At $60/year, it works out to $5/month. So I have no problem supporting the game, when I'm able.

Once again, welcome to the game and have fun!

L.S.