Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

My opinion on spamming attacks and shields

AuthorMessage
Champion
Feb 03, 2012
Now in pvp we all know people that spam attacks, those who spam shields, and those who complain about it. I'll be giving my personal opinion on the subject here in this post. Now my main school as of right now is storm, and having high damage for such little pips, how can you not try spamming at least once? Even i've tried it before, and there's really nothing to complain about. Note these examples are based on storm alone. So if your a storm wizard in pvp you know pretty much everyone somehow magicly carries around dozens of storm shields. This roles out the possiblities of ever using a one shot win with a leviathan or even a triton, this leads to us, and other schools with the same problem to spam, preventing shields and giving us a chance at victory. Also for storm, unlike most other schools, we have no dot spell, so we can only attack with 2-4 pip spells at a time. See the relationships here? By spamming shields your actually encouraging the use of spamming, funny isn't it? For most people, or all of them, that shield continuously, they're probably seen some hard times in pvp with some pretty hard defeats, i know i have for sure, and we shouldn't be complaining about shielding either. It's a function put into the game, and personally for me. it's just a sign that they fear and somewhat respect our power.

In my final words here, i think it's OK for people to spam attacks since others keep spamming shields, and as long as your spamming attacks why not let the other person spam shields? I hope this changes some of your thoughts on this subject.

Historian
May 01, 2010
My definition of spamming must be different from a lot of people's, going by what you are saying. I realize that wild bolt is one of the best spells for storm, saying it can be used as a finisher, a shield breaker, good spell to get weaknesses off...... and I dont think spamming is just doing those things. What I DO call spamming though, is using it over and over. No debuffs, no shields, and all the storm is doing is casting it over and over. For example, poison without any shields.... from second.... eh, good play, keeps me not knowing whether you are attacking or not, and if i shield and am wrong, wasted shield. 2 poisons..... hmm.... 3rd one..... ok, this starting to seem like spamming..... doom: (saying each poison does 800 base...), -_- spammer. If I shield, I always expect these spells, but if they are used at the drop of a hat, I start thinking spammer....
Off topic a bit, can KI make wildbolt favor 100 in pvp? It seems MUCH more reliable than the old 10% accuracy one....

EDIT: Wow, should proofread..... sorry on the poison offtopic thing.... But anyway, it may just be my luck, but wild bolts seem to ALWAYS hit for 1600 a pop (through resist), and rarly ever do the other values..... I also get storms doing wildbolt to get rid of minions, and dont consider that spamming.... (but other than that, what I said above still goes, just basically replace poison and doom with bolt)...

Champion
Feb 03, 2012
slammer111 wrote:
My definition of spamming must be different from a lot of people's, going by what you are saying. I realize that wild bolt is one of the best spells for storm, saying it can be used as a finisher, a shield breaker, good spell to get weaknesses off...... and I dont think spamming is just doing those things. What I DO call spamming though, is using it over and over. No debuffs, no shields, and all the storm is doing is casting it over and over. For example, poison without any shields.... from second.... eh, good play, keeps me not knowing whether you are attacking or not, and if i shield and am wrong, wasted shield. 2 poisons..... hmm.... 3rd one..... ok, this starting to seem like spamming..... doom: (saying each poison does 800 base...), -_- spammer. If I shield, I always expect these spells, but if they are used at the drop of a hat, I start thinking spammer....
Off topic a bit, can KI make wildbolt favor 100 in pvp? It seems MUCH more reliable than the old 10% accuracy one....

EDIT: Wow, should proofread..... sorry on the poison offtopic thing.... But anyway, it may just be my luck, but wild bolts seem to ALWAYS hit for 1600 a pop (through resist), and rarly ever do the other values..... I also get storms doing wildbolt to get rid of minions, and dont consider that spamming.... (but other than that, what I said above still goes, just basically replace poison and doom with bolt)...

Well one reason why people, including myself, would spam wild bolt without any reason as you mentioned would be out of fear. After you use it once to clear away any debuffs, you know the enemy will shield or weakness or any other debuff to slow you down. Constently spamming little attacks are a great way to prevent any further debuffing. I admit it's not the smartest, not the greatest, and not the one that everybody loves, but it's affective and useful and thats all that matters in pvp.

Historian
May 01, 2010
AstroStorm wrote:
slammer111 wrote:

Well one reason why people, including myself, would spam wild bolt without any reason as you mentioned would be out of fear. After you use it once to clear away any debuffs, you know the enemy will shield or weakness or any other debuff to slow you down. Constently spamming little attacks are a great way to prevent any further debuffing. I admit it's not the smartest, not the greatest, and not the one that everybody loves, but it's affective and useful and thats all that matters in pvp.

I see where you are coming from..... but I always like to count shields, I know very few schools have shields to life, death, and myth and balanceare only ones (minus people who train lifesheild). So I think, how into pvp is this wizard? Has he trained quake for multipvp? What about feint for mobs/bosses.... and in your case, almost everyone has a stormshield, saying most if not everyone has tower shield, and thus, the fire/storm double shield. But at that, they can only have a max of 12 real shields (6 tower, 6 volcanic), and maybe some real storm shields, so my advise, is be patient, carefully count and note each value of the shields (difference between tc and regular), try and get them to relax with storm shields, by leaving them on, invest 2 training points into firelf, and buy some storm elf mutates (for reasons stated in my previous post about the poisons).

One final word, efficenciency and usefulness isnt all that matters in pvp, I pvp for fun, win or lose, the strategy I use, doesnt matter. Heck, I would go into a match with the deck build of an old post in these forums about you only having 10 cards, 1 copy of each card, and would still beniefet as long as it was fun.

Champion
Feb 03, 2012
slammer111 wrote:
AstroStorm wrote:
slammer111 wrote:

I see where you are coming from..... but I always like to count shields, I know very few schools have shields to life, death, and myth and balanceare only ones (minus people who train lifesheild). So I think, how into pvp is this wizard? Has he trained quake for multipvp? What about feint for mobs/bosses.... and in your case, almost everyone has a stormshield, saying most if not everyone has tower shield, and thus, the fire/storm double shield. But at that, they can only have a max of 12 real shields (6 tower, 6 volcanic), and maybe some real storm shields, so my advise, is be patient, carefully count and note each value of the shields (difference between tc and regular), try and get them to relax with storm shields, by leaving them on, invest 2 training points into firelf, and buy some storm elf mutates (for reasons stated in my previous post about the poisons).

One final word, efficenciency and usefulness isnt all that matters in pvp, I pvp for fun, win or lose, the strategy I use, doesnt matter. Heck, I would go into a match with the deck build of an old post in these forums about you only having 10 cards, 1 copy of each card, and would still beniefet as long as it was fun.

Are my ears decieving me? A wizard that plays pvp for fun? Finally i meet someone like me. I really don't care about winning or losing either, the only problem everyone else does which kinda ruins the fun for me. Also i do wait sometimes however if you've ever played as storm, which i hope you have it's really fun, giving your opponent even the slightest of time or hesitation will get you defeated in a matter of rounds. My storm motto is to be quick, effective, and deadly like lightning.

Survivor
Feb 20, 2011
slammer111 wrote:
AstroStorm wrote:
slammer111 wrote:

I think PvP is great fun, I usually lose as I have just started.
I agree it is frustrating when shields are put up constantly or when poison does 800 damage & two turns later I am looking at death.
BUT I am learning from all this & will come back from the dead to win.

I agree game is great fun all round, if I die too often I just change the way I do it.
Enjoy