Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

What excatly is Critical?

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Jul 07, 2010
I just turned level 50 and Diego gave me a viscious helm with a 15 critical rating. What excatly is Critical, and is it worth buying gear that increses it?

Administrator
The information you seek is here:
https://www.wizard101.com/game/update-notes/october2010#Crit

The Critical and Block system is an addition to the existing dueling system that allows players to perform Critical Hits on opponents and avoid incoming Critical Hits. This will give players new strategies and defenses in combat and new ways to further build up their Wizard!

You'll notice your character sheet has changed a little. Press C to see your character sheet.

The two new stats being added to the game are called Critical Hit Rating and Block Rating

Critical Hit Rating increase the player's chance of getting a critical hit. A critical hit will do twice the damage or twice the healing depending on the spell.
Block Rating increases the player's chance of avoiding incoming critical hits.
Players will gain Critical Hit and Block bonuses from equipment.

The chance for a critical hit or a block is calculated AFTER fizzle and accuracy. When a spell fizzles no calculation for critical hit or block is made.
Charms, Enchantments, Wards, Manipulations and Globals are not subject to the Block / Critical system. Heals cannot be Blocked, but they can Critical!

You will also notice with these Critical and Block Statistics, that the Combat Rating System displays as a numeric value and not a percentage.
Equipment will have values of "+14 Block Rating" as opposed to the "+1% Block" style of statistic you are accustomed to seeing.

community@wizard101.com
Mastermind
Jul 25, 2010
To make it simple critical increases your spell's damage 2x, so it will hit double the amount of its regular damage ( depending on your stats and blades will affect the damage).

Survivor
May 17, 2011
I"m not too sure,but I think it depends on what your gear is and if it gives anything other than critical rating like damage or reasistance.

Squire
Mar 07, 2011
Professor Greyrose,

You lay out a page of information about critical, but never really say what critical does. You can't say it gives double damage? I thought professors were suppose to teach students tangible things, not give us some vague idea about how something works in this game.

Vengeance and Pierce Armor are other concepts that have never been adequately explained.

Vengeance claims to give you a percentage boost to your critical. But someone with zero critical CAN actually get a critical with Vengeance on. Last time I checked, ANY number multiplied by zero is going to still be zero. Vengeance is obviously not a percentage boost. So what is it exactly?

Pierce Armor says it is a percentage decrease to shields and resistance, yet the update notes say it is an actual subtraction factor. So is it a percentage or a subtraction?

Maybe this is how KI wants it. Give wizards a vague idea of how combat works, and hope you can actually figure out what is going on. I know that the best teachers in my life have been ones who clearly explain things in detail, and in a way that makes sense.

I'm simply not a big fan of combat mechanics being vague and unclear.

Squire
Mar 07, 2011
Professor Greyrose,

I truly wish I understood why you don't want wizards to understand combat mechanics.