Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Ability to not let people join a fight

AuthorMessage
Survivor
May 07, 2009
There has been many times where I am trying to get in and out of a zone, only to have 2 or 3 other wizards run in to my battle, some flee, and I'm stuck righting 2 or 3 mobs by myself.

I would like the option to have a flag that can be accessed at a corner of the screen that would have several options.

Option 1: Allow help in all battles.
Option 2: Do not allow help in any battles.
Option 3: Allow help when health is below 50% only.
Option 4: Request help (comes up as an SOS flag above your head to other players).

Even if we can't have the ability to block other wizards from joining, maybe just put an icon above our heads that shows that we are not looking for help in this battle, perhaps just an X or a circle with a dash through it. I know some people will use this just to upset people but I think the majority would like this sort of feature.

Geographer
Dec 14, 2009
Jallen02 wrote:
There has been many times where I am trying to get in and out of a zone, only to have 2 or 3 other wizards run in to my battle, some flee, and I'm stuck righting 2 or 3 mobs by myself.

I would like the option to have a flag that can be accessed at a corner of the screen that would have several options.

Option 4: Request help (comes up as an SOS flag above your head to other players).

Even if we can't have the ability to block other wizards from joining, maybe just put an icon above our heads that shows that we are not looking for help in this battle, perhaps just an X or a circle with a dash through it. I know some people will use this just to upset people but I think the majority would like this sort of feature.

A valid problem that exists,though I see no easy solution without infuriating one side or the other. I would like to see some form of combat lock, but the ones who abuse it now, will also abuse the lock and stall battle areas just to be mean to others.

Survivor
Jul 04, 2010
I kinda see what you are saying, but having someone join or port and the consequences of that is kind of simulating real life don't you think? If you were a real wizard and there was all this stuff going on, people would be dragged into your fight by monsters, and some would be cowards and run and some would die etc... Also, I love having a team of four because I kill more monsters more quickly. True, sometimes personalities don't mesh and I get annoyed, but I just change realms after the fight if that happens. Finally, this is a social game - engineered to be that way. I don't want that taken away.

Survivor
Dec 17, 2009
Very good idea. People seem to always join my battles.
Dylan LifeDreamer Balance Lvl.70

Armiger
Feb 25, 2009
Spring72 wrote:
I kinda see what you are saying, but having someone join or port and the consequences of that is kind of simulating real life don't you think? If you were a real wizard and there was all this stuff going on, people would be dragged into your fight by monsters, and some would be cowards and run and some would die etc... Also, I love having a team of four because I kill more monsters more quickly. True, sometimes personalities don't mesh and I get annoyed, but I just change realms after the fight if that happens. Finally, this is a social game - engineered to be that way. I don't want that taken away.

I have to agree with Spring72. I have had this happen a few times, but not enough to complain.

Also, I make it a point to play in relatively empty realms. If the area I am in gets busy, I change realms and continue.

Illuminator
May 22, 2009
Although it is frustrating when someone enters your fight, I do not think there should be a combat lock.

When Zafaria was first released, it was difficult for anyone to find a battle that was not already full. Even now, there are still some areas like that especially during busy times of the day. Now, imagine how hard it would be to do your quests if you see a battle with 3 empty spots and you can't join because someone has locked the combat. I am sure there would be hundreds of complaints to KI about that.

One solution to the problem of people joining and fleeing, is to make it where they CANNOT flee unless they are dead. As for people porting to your fight...simply turn off ports.

Hannah Lifebringer Level 70 Life

Defender
May 31, 2011
I understand where you are coming from. There was a time I really found others joining a battle a real problem, but some others helped me to understand that in this game street battles are open battles and joiners welcomed or not is part of this game. This suggestion and many similar ones have been made many many times. KI has added to the menu chat "Please, may I join" and Zeke no longer bids new players to go ahead and jump into a battle, but I really do not think blocking street battles will ever be an option. One problem I see with that is that in some areas the number of enemies needed for a quest is VERY limited and excluding others to join would really be unfair to other players.

When I do not want to contend with too many people around, I select a realm at the end of the list realms. I have learned to adjust my cards and battle style to be prepared for unexpected joiners ( ie: sufficient healing card in deck and treasure cards, attack the second enemy first so if someone joins the new enemy does not end up in the first position). As I played further into the game I came to appreciate joiners more. As you get further into the game the drop rate from the enemies gets less and less so there is a big advantage to having 3-4 enemies/battle.

I do tend to solo a lot. I am a bit on the shy side with new people plus I like to play at my own pace, but I have worked at relaxing a bit more and opening up more to other people and found the fun part of playing with others. Granted, there are some weird, rude, rotten apples out there as there is anywhere, but I just try to let those go and enjoy the mostly nice people around.

Illuminator
Feb 09, 2009
Explorer
Sep 04, 2008
it does take away from the game, even if it is a good idea,

Survivor
Jun 02, 2011
Jallen02 wrote:

I have to give you a solid no, because it would cause bugs, people who "hog" areas, and make some people very angry. I do see what you are implying but you just got to deal with it, I got used to it after i beat celestia

Wolf Shadowstalker
level 69

Survivor
May 07, 2009
Ok, I see what you guys are saying. All have made valid points, and I must say that I agree now that the combat "lock" idea isn't a great one. But what if KI implemented optional flags that you can put over your head while in street battles? Players could always join anyway, but one flag could mean "help wanted" another could mean "Help not needed" and it would help those polite people wondering if they could join the ability to know right off the bat if they would be welcomed or not.

There have been plenty of times where I would've liked some help (being a storm wizard with low health) and I see someone run by during a spell animation and I can't type out help to them. If an "SOS" flag is over my head for example, anyone running by would know I need help and any help would be appreciated.

On the other side, a flag that shows that help isn't needed would take away the need for some people to ask if someone needs help and if they want to be polite they need to ask if they can join the battle. However, in either situation there is no combat lock so anyone can join at anytime. I personally like the SOS idea because it can get players in to help quicker.

Adherent
Mar 18, 2009
Jallen02 wrote:
Ok, I see what you guys are saying. All have made valid points, and I must say that I agree now that the combat "lock" idea isn't a great one. But what if KI implemented optional flags that you can put over your head while in street battles? Players could always join anyway, but one flag could mean "help wanted" another could mean "Help not needed" and it would help those polite people wondering if they could join the ability to know right off the bat if they would be welcomed or not.

There have been plenty of times where I would've liked some help (being a storm wizard with low health) and I see someone run by during a spell animation and I can't type out help to them. If an "SOS" flag is over my head for example, anyone running by would know I need help and any help would be appreciated.

On the other side, a flag that shows that help isn't needed would take away the need for some people to ask if someone needs help and if they want to be polite they need to ask if they can join the battle. However, in either situation there is no combat lock so anyone can join at anytime. I personally like the SOS idea because it can get players in to help quicker.

This.

One thing lacking in this game compared to other MMOs is a Looking For Group (LFG) option.

I've previously suggested a system very similar to PvP and the bazaar, but instead this matches up players who want/need to do the same dungeon. Could be expanded to include what your talking about, just general grouping for street mobs (like how menu chat let's others know what quest your on). Let's face it, standing outside a dungeon or in the commons waiting on the right person to come by or continously shouting for help over and over, doesn't always work.

Other ideas...

https://www.wizard101.com/posts/list/21018.ftl#109344

Armiger
May 10, 2010
What would be interesting to see, is a way to play this game offline.

Where you could play alone, without anyone. Of course, you would not gain anything in the online version, the solo version would be for offline use only and have no bearing to the live realm.

Illuminator
Feb 09, 2009
Jallen02 wrote:

Much better, thank you.

Illuminator
Feb 24, 2009
No, then the low-life bullies will come and stay at the kraken making the menu chatters and non-subscribers miserable and think he/she is all "cool". We dont need any of this. Get an empty realm or something.

Adherent
May 20, 2010
One solution would be to have a solo-only realm, and have it labeled that way. On that realm, nobody could join anybody's battles. The problem is that it would be hard to program.

Survivor
Sep 25, 2010
I like the idea but I don't.Some bullies play on this game and will use this as an advantage to help bully people.Like everybody else said,they might use it to annoy other players.But if people did use it correctly,it would be great!

Hero
Jun 08, 2009
Jallen02 wrote:

This could be easily abused, sorry.

Survivor
Jun 16, 2010
it seems like a great idea, that has happened to me a ton. i also have a great idea: when sometimes you only want certain people to port people should be able to send a request,, and you can click yes or no if you want them to port, if you dont want a ton of requests you can have to option to turn of requests and it will tell the person wanting to port that porting is off. to make sure peoples feelings arent hurt, when you deny someone to port, maybe it could just say ports are off. what do u think of my idea? ive been wanting something like it for awhile :D

Defender
May 17, 2011
superluther wrote:
Although it is frustrating when someone enters your fight, I do not think there should be a combat lock.

When Zafaria was first released, it was difficult for anyone to find a battle that was not already full. Even now, there are still some areas like that especially during busy times of the day. Now, imagine how hard it would be to do your quests if you see a battle with 3 empty spots and you can't join because someone has locked the combat. I am sure there would be hundreds of complaints to KI about that.

One solution to the problem of people joining and fleeing, is to make it where they CANNOT flee unless they are dead. As for people porting to your fight...simply turn off ports.

Hannah Lifebringer Level 70 Life

There is a problem with that fleeing only if you are dead rule: some people, like myself, can be very busy and often have important things pop up when they least expect it (i take fencing, piano, tiger style kung fu, and acting, to name a few). Therefore, I need to often flee from battles to log off. If i log off without leaving the battle, I could be met with a surprise battle when I log back in later (my face when that happens: ) . I think that the curent battle rules should be left alone for a while.

A+ Student
Mar 02, 2010
"Can you please let me join?"
"No."
"But all of the other spots are blocked!"
"No"
"Come on! I need to finish my quest!"
"No."
"Fine..."
"Darn! I fizzled and I'm about to die! Help me!"
"No."