Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

ninja lore spells and pvp

AuthorMessage
A+ Student
Dec 11, 2010
as ya all know a new pack with permanent spells got released
these high pip attacks that come are the following
ninja pigs
goat monk
samoorai

these spells may seem over powered when i lvl 1 uses them but this isnt game breaking since ya can easily tower shield there attack right before it comes so they cant go wand and then hit

i hope for no complaints from these spells on the pvp message boards

tell me what ya think of these new rare attacks

Adherent
Mar 18, 2009
grvy123 wrote:
as ya all know a new pack with permanent spells got released
these high pip attacks that come are the following
ninja pigs
goat monk
samoorai

these spells may seem over powered when i lvl 1 uses them but this isnt game breaking since ya can easily tower shield there attack right before it comes so they cant go wand and then hit

i hope for no complaints from these spells on the pvp message boards

tell me what ya think of these new rare attacks

I agree. Some people are complaining that these spells can be used by a level 1 wizard just for some crowns. However, these spells are no different that the pets with item cards that you get from Best Buy etc. Yes, that is unfair to someone who didn't spend crowns, but these spells are no different or game changing to PvP than back in 2009!

Astrologist
Jun 04, 2010
kingurz wrote:
I agree. Some people are complaining that these spells can be used by a level 1 wizard just for some crowns. However, these spells are no different that the pets with item cards that you get from Best Buy etc. Yes, that is unfair to someone who didn't spend crowns, but these spells are no different or game changing to PvP than back in 2009!

While I don't think that these spells are going to dramatically alter low level PvP, saying that they are no different than pet item cards isn't exactly accurate either. A pet item card gives you one use (until reshuffle) at a fixed amount of damage and accuracy. These new trained spells, on the other hand, can have enchantments such as monstrous, sniper, and simplify applied to them. Is it enough to completely unbalance PvP? No, i don't think it is. However, it is clearly not the same thing as a pet item card either.

A+ Student
Mar 02, 2010
gtarhannon wrote:
kingurz wrote:

While I don't think that these spells are going to dramatically alter low level PvP, saying that they are no different than pet item cards isn't exactly accurate either. A pet item card gives you one use (until reshuffle) at a fixed amount of damage and accuracy. These new trained spells, on the other hand, can have enchantments such as monstrous, sniper, and simplify applied to them. Is it enough to completely unbalance PvP? No, i don't think it is. However, it is clearly not the same thing as a pet item card either.

Actually, the Nice Dragon pet gives 2 Guiding Lights.

Adherent
Mar 18, 2009
gtarhannon wrote:
kingurz wrote:

Clearly they are not the same, however, you understand what I'm saying about the impact to PvP.

The spells themselves are no different than the mechanics behind the pet cards. (high damage available to a low level, the damage amount really doesn't matter if a one shot kills you).

If folks are disappointed that these spells can be enchanted with Sun spells, well so can Rank 2, 3, and 4s which are usually available to low levels too. So is the issue really the new spells???? Or the fact people don't like low levels enchanting cards with level 50+ Sun spells? To me, a rank 2 spell with any critical chance is more dangerous to me than these spells (and yes, it is possible to critical at low levels).

In both cases (2009 and Present), using Crowns has given that player a slight advantage, but it hasn't been game changing for PvP. Strategy is still king in the arena. If these were level 70 spells were talking about and a match up between two evenly ranked level 70s, then yes the slight advantage would be a problem. But let's face it, KI's PvP system has never been fair to anyone under level 68. So what's different now?

A+ Student
Dec 11, 2010
gtarhannon wrote:
kingurz wrote:

now if ya can go to dragonspire marva flamewing has a few things to teach ya and it will help in lower lvl pvp
even if ya use treasure shields always shield to prevent a huge hit
yes they can get enchanted but a lvl 1 can only use tc enchants mostly just tough which is lame

Hero
Jun 08, 2009
I concur. It isn't much more dramatically different then Treasure Cards. However, nothing anyone can do will stem the cries of unfairness emanating from the low leveled PvP community. They'll view it as favoritism, and it could have severe repercussions in the forums.

Astrologist
Jun 04, 2010
joujou11cool wrote:
Actually, the Nice Dragon pet gives 2 Guiding Lights.

I was referring to pets with attack item cards, not ones with utility item cards. I should have been more specific.

grvy123 wrote:
now if ya can go to dragonspire marva flamewing has a few things to teach ya and it will help in lower lvl pvp
even if ya use treasure shields always shield to prevent a huge hit
yes they can get enchanted but a lvl 1 can only use tc enchants mostly just tough which is lame

I understand that you can keep shields in your side deck, however, it is dramatically different to try to defend against someone with one large attack spell (such as a pet item card) and someone with multiple copies, particularly in the case of a pet because you can often know by sight what spell it has. When it comes to enchantments for low levels, you can go up to monstrous in damage, sniper in accuracy, and elucidate in pip reduction.

kingurz wrote:
Clearly they are not the same, however, you understand what I'm saying about the impact to PvP.

I do, and I thought I acknowledged that in my opening statement with "I don't think that these spells are going to dramatically alter low level PvP".

kingurz wrote:
The spells themselves are no different than the mechanics behind the pet cards. (high damage available to a low level, the damage amount really doesn't matter if a one shot kills you).

Here's where I begin to disagree. I would agree that the underlying idea is the same, but the mechanics differ because trained spells can be put in either the main deck or enchanted for the side deck making them much more versatile strategy-wise. While it is true that it doesn't matter if one shot kills you, in low level combat a 175 point difference (monstrous treasure card) in base damage (at the same pip cost and accuracy) can easily be the difference between killing you and not killing you.

kingurz wrote:
If folks are disappointed that these spells can be enchanted with Sun spells, well so can Rank 2, 3, and 4s which are usually available to low levels too.

You specifically said "these spells can be used by a level 1 wizard just for some crowns" which is why I felt the need to bother replying at all. Even if we expand that to level 10, we're still only at rank 3 spells and so being able to have 3 copies of a rank 5 spell in your main deck (particularly because the decks are so tiny at that level) is a big deal strategically.

kingurz wrote:
So is the issue really the new spells???? Or the fact people don't like low levels enchanting cards with level 50+ Sun spells? To me, a rank 2 spell with any critical chance is more dangerous to me than these spells (and yes, it is possible to critical at low levels).

Yes, the issue is with these spells if only for the reason that they can either be put in the main deck or a much better (either stronger, more accurate, or lower pip cost) version in the side deck. Low levels can't really enchant with sun spells (unless they bought a lot before the new restrictions) because they are now marked "no trade" cards and you have to be (I believe) level 58 to buy them at the archivist. While its true a lot of people have issues with the enchanting of low rank spells, I can assure that I'm not one of them.

kingurz wrote:
In both cases (2009 and Present), using Crowns has given that player a slight advantage, but it hasn't been game changing for PvP. Strategy is still king in the arena. If these were level 70 spells were talking about and a match up between two evenly ranked level 70s, then yes the slight advantage would be a problem. But let's face it, KI's PvP system has never been fair to anyone under level 68. So what's different now?

The fundamental difference I see here is that in the past, everyone could use the same amount of crowns to buy one discrete advantage. Now, however, there is a distinct strategic advantage available only to those with a combination of crowns (maybe a little, maybe a lot, maybe no amount is enough) and luck. I personally have issues with the spells that really have nothing at all to do with PvP (I outlined them in a different thread). Perhaps I'm too persnickety, but while this change is similar in concept to previous cases, its execution sets it apart in my eyes.

Please don't misunderstand me, I do agree that strategy is king in the arena and that ultimately these specific spells will not unhinge PvP. What concerns me is the precedent that is being set and what that could mean for the future. That is why I took exception to what I perceived as a "sweeping under the rug" of these spells by comparing them to treasure cards and item cards, particularly when you framed it from a level 1 wizard's perspective. I hope this helps to clarify where I'm coming from.