Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

PvP Etiquette, a Private's Questions

AuthorMessage
Hero
Jan 24, 2010
Hi All,

I am really excited about training and setting up my level 38 Myth girl for ranked PvP. Could some of you warlords and other seasoned duelists help me with a little perspective, please?

Last night, I spent a great evening in the arena in various 2v2, 3v3, and 4v4 matches. Alexandria held her own in every match, contributed to the team effort with shields, heals, and the occasional frog or minotaur, and a bubble change or two. She did very, very well 8) I was surprised that Alex is so strong, resilient, and resourceful in battles against Legendary and Transcended wizards. Our success rate was 5 for 5 :) I think she's going to make a great 2v2-4v4 duelista.

Here are my question:

1) Is it considered poor etiquette for Alex to use treasure shields to augment her trained shields in PvP? (She is an avid gardener of laugh-o-dils.)

2) Is there anything unseemly about teaming up with my Transcended Ice PvP Captain friend in 2v2? How about teaming with Transcended and Legendary wizards in 3v3 or 4v4?

I want to become active in PvP, and I want to rank up to Warlord one day, but I don't want to do so by using less-than-ethical strategies. I like to work for my rewards.

Any and all guidance is gratefully accepted!

Regards,

Qbb/Alexandria Dreamwalker, Conjuress

A+ Student
Mar 02, 2010
Well, if you want to be a warlord and recognize yourself as one, then here's my saying. First, you must do 1v1, because that's where the true skill within only 1 person (you) fights another (the opponent). To get to be a warlord, treasure cards help very much. Any treasure card, really, could help you a lot. I'm not a warlord, much less even trying to be one on my Balance, but on other accounts, this is what I get for being a warlord: Warlord is just a plain old title that everyone gets.

I have to agree now, ranked pvp is getting a little unfair within the matches. Lower level wizards tend to use their level 58 spells with a comboed vengeance and a blade. Really? What kind of level 1-39 could survive that without full on shields?

I'll get to the point now, and I'll tell you some great strategies that got me to warlord very quickly:
First off, always enchant your spells.
Second, you must ALWAYS carry around shields, treasure or normal are good!
Third you must always expect a fine challenge from your opponent and never expect an easy slide, especially with those low healthed ones because they're the ones who pack the high resist.
Fourth: Always use treasure blades to combo up with normal ones
Fifth: If you want, spam some Weaknesses and/or Plagues.
Sixth: Always have your deck relating to your gear, strategy, confidence within attacking against shields, health, damage boost, resist, accuracy, critical, critical block, healing boost, power pip chance armor piercing, stun block, deck size, and with the variety of spells you choose to use at times.

Getting to warlord isn't too hard if you have your deck perfectly set up to your needs, but remember, expect a challenge!

Defender
Dec 25, 2008
The answer to your first question is yes that is completely fine. Some of course may get mad, but will get over it.

The answer to number 2 is yes it would help you, but I feel that is a little dirty. I tried it, I got to warlord, but thought it was wrong so ranked back down. You could do it, but I'm telling you most are not a fan of it.mdo what you think is right.

Sean Fireblood lvl 70 Fire

See you in the spiral!

Geographer
Aug 28, 2010
Queenbluebean,

1) Is it considered poor etiquette for Alex to use treasure shields to augment her trained shields in PvP? (She is an avid gardener of laugh-o-dils.)

Ans: Absolutely not poor etiquettes at all, everyone I have ever played against in pvp uses Treasrure shields. I know of no one that does not, and that is over the past two years. I have never heard anyone complain,
except some storms, about storm shields. But then, who's not going to
shield against storm and the bolt?

2) Is there anything unseemly about teaming up with my Transcended Ice PvP Captain friend in 2v2? How about teaming with Transcended and Legendary wizards in 3v3 or 4v4?

Ans: It's puppet teams that everyone is crying about, not teams like you
are setting up. It's when a Level 70 teams with a level 1 or level 5 in 2v2, 3v3, or 4v4. Most Puppet teams are really looked down upon by many players. A Transcended and Captain are close enough, that is not an issue at all. Same with a Leg and Trans, they close enough. Some may not be too
supportive if one is a Warlord and the the other has a rank of 300 to
400, due to downranking.

I have heard a lot of complaints on this, but what about the Private that
has three or four Warlords that goes up against another private that is
just starting. Or a group that can buy what they want, versus a group that doesn have any crowns. There are so many unfair situations, I have gotten to the point where I am concerned about them less and less as time goes along.

Joe.

Champion
Apr 18, 2010
Comment to other posters:

1v1 isn't the most skillful way to play, it is simply different from group play (though group play does have much more variables.)

1. No, treasure shields are perfectly fine.

2. Yes. PvPers will look at you as a desperate, bad at pvp, and a greifer if you puppet team. Puppet teams are for people who can't win in a balanced scenario, so they exploit the matching system so they don't have to try very hard to win. My advice to you, don't puppet team unless you don't care how people look at you.

Defender
May 17, 2011
i always bow before the duel and that often makes up for any poor manners i have during the duel. try it, it is very nice.

Hero
Jun 08, 2009
Hello. Congratulations on your victories in the Arena. In answer to your questions:

1. No, using any type of Treasure Card is perfectly fine in the Arena, despite what you hear from those who lose matches due to them.

2. If you were a level 5 or 10, yes, it could be frowned upon. As a Magus, you should be fine though.
Hope this helped, enjoy your PvP, and may you forever get Power Pips :D

Hero
Jan 24, 2010
Many thanks for all of the informative replies.

I think the issue of "puppet teams" is confusing me. Please help me to clarify:

I want to make a 2v2 team with my level 40 (now) Myth girl and my Transcended Ice/Pvp Captain friend. Alexandria's current rank is private (533 points). Her power pip chance is 50%. She has over 2100 health with mid-level crowns robe, hat, and boots. Her accuracy boost is 8% for Myth. Her damage boost is around 8%. Resist is 12%. Alexandria is a Grandmaster Gardener who specializes in shield and heal-yielding plants. She is more than capable of withstanding Legendary and Transcended attacks on her own. She contributes to battles with a strategy that emphasizes team defense, including weakening the opposing team's offensive attack.

I have constructed this wizard very carefully in terms of secondary school(s), gear, defense spells, pet training, and gardening. It has taken planning, patience, and effort (and the experience of 4 other wizards at Transcended and Legendary) to make a level 40 wizard with Alexandria's stats and skills. I am very proud of her 8)

With this description in mind, why would our 2v2 team be a "puppet team"?

Please continue this conversation and help me to clarify the essential etiquette of team-building in ranked PvP.

Warmest Regards,

Qbb/Alexandria

Champion
May 03, 2011
Queenly: I have recently started to PvP (1v1 only), but have been talking to people and reading up on this recent "puppet team" controversy, and it's my understanding that this term refers only to teams consisting of level 70's and wizards who are like level 1-5. The object here, I guess, is to rank up fast, and it's considered a form of cheating--or at least playing fast and loose with the rules. I don't believe your helpful Magus/Master wizard, teamed with a higher-level and more experienced player, would count as a puppet team. Not at all.

Hero
Jun 08, 2009
queenlybluebean wrote:
Many thanks for all of the informative replies.

I think the issue of "puppet teams" is confusing me. Please help me to clarify:

I want to make a 2v2 team with my level 40 (now) Myth girl and my Transcended Ice/Pvp Captain friend. Alexandria's current rank is private (533 points). Her power pip chance is 50%. She has over 2100 health with mid-level crowns robe, hat, and boots. Her accuracy boost is 8% for Myth. Her damage boost is around 8%. Resist is 12%. Alexandria is a Grandmaster Gardener who specializes in shield and heal-yielding plants. She is more than capable of withstanding Legendary and Transcended attacks on her own. She contributes to battles with a strategy that emphasizes team defense, including weakening the opposing team's offensive attack.

I have constructed this wizard very carefully in terms of secondary school(s), gear, defense spells, pet training, and gardening. It has taken planning, patience, and effort (and the experience of 4 other wizards at Transcended and Legendary) to make a level 40 wizard with Alexandria's stats and skills. I am very proud of her

With this description in mind, why would our 2v2 team be a "puppet team"?

Please continue this conversation and help me to clarify the essential etiquette of team-building in ranked PvP.

Warmest Regards,

Qbb/Alexandria

Puppet team is a negative term about a team consisting of a max level wizard and a novice wizard. The novice attracts lower leveled wizards, while the level 70 steps in and obliterates them. It's an exploit, but your being a medium level shouldn't affect anything.

Geographer
Aug 28, 2010
Queenlybluebean,

Imo, a Transcended and a level 40 is not a puppet team. Others may or may not disagree with this, depending on their point of view.
The normal puppet team is a Transcended and a Level 1 to 5.

Others consider a Team that has a Warlord and a private, even if they are the same level. The problem lies in the ability to create a wizard, level it some and then delete it and starting a new one at level 1.

The other problems lies in downrankning and a host of other items, to many to list.
Anyway, the bottom line is that your team should not offend anyone.
If it does, it will be because you won the battle, not because there is a different in levels.

jmo,
Joe.