Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Rune writing in Grizzleheim

AuthorMessage
Survivor
May 07, 2011
I had noticed before that someone had inquired about the runic writing in the various places of Grizzlehiem. My friend, Saffron MoonThistle, is adept at reading them (at least the Elder Furthark) and between the two of us, she and I managed to figure out what some of the writing says.

In the first area, the large stones read "Big Bear Fort," which is totally appropriate because Grizzleheim is filled with big bears.

The room with Grumlik, with the tree and the runes around the border, took a bit more to decode as some of the characters there aren't from the Elder Futhark and those that are are used incorrectly or simply missing (but kudos to W101 for using them at all!) Anyway, this is what we think it says:
"Lo, there do I see the line of my people calling to me. They bid me to take my place among among [yes, it was repeated] them in the halls of Valhalla. There, the brave shall rest forver in time."

I don't know if anyone else had noticed and/or cared, but I thought I would share this with anyone who had. Saffron's pretty amazing (and scary) in that she can look at the runic alphabet and know what each character is supposed to be without having to reference anything.
Also, I hope I'm not reposting something that everyone else already knows about, but I couldn't find anything else related to this on this HUGE forum.

Anyway, W101 is a great game and the two of us certainly appreciate such small touches like this.

~Conner StormBringer

Survivor
May 24, 2009
Champion
May 03, 2011
Hey, that's really cool. I studied runes when I did Old English and Old Norse in grad school, but it never occurred to me that the GH/WT runes would be more than decoration. I shall get out my books (I do not have them memorized, tell your friend I am totally impressed by her accomplishment :-) ) and have another look!

Thanks for posting this--it's always fun to discover another hidden treasure in this game.

Adherent
Mar 18, 2009
Not to derail the topic, but I thought someone else mentioned that Celestia's symbols/words could be decoded as well?

So that's Grizzleheim and Celestia, I wonder if there are any others?