Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Very Upset Parent

AuthorMessage
Survivor
May 25, 2009
This is my first post, I usually just read the message boards for game info. I dont know why i feel the need to chime in...

I searched high and low for over a year to find a game that I could play with all of my kids and my wife. I have a 14, 11, 9 and 7 year old that all play the game with us. Cursing is inappropriate for children, but they are going to do it when they aren't being watched... especially when in social situations with other kids that do not have the same restrictions. My children know there are unpleasant repercussions for swearing and insulting.

When you put a child in a situation where he/she is completely anonymous and give him a 'captive audience', a large portion of the time, he or she will behave VERY badly as they have no fear of consequences.

This is the nature of children... to push limits, or break them when they know they can get away with it. Parents aren't to blame for most of these actions but they have to take responsibility for it when they are informed. Do you honestly think that your child always behaves his best when out cavorting with his friends without adult supervision? If so, you're fooling yourself. The only thing that parents could POSSIBLY do, is gain an understanding of what thier kids are doing online... When a non-informed parent sees thier kids playing a game thinking it looks like a cute wizard game with no possible problems, do they realize that all the brightly dressed wizards running around on the screen are REAL PEOPLE? Not likely, or if they do realize, it's unlikely that they understand the possible problems that can be caused by thier kids, or others with less than moral intents.

For this reason, my children (including my 14 year old) are limited to the menu chat. There is NO reason that they need to have the text chat enabled. If they want to play the game with real life friends and chat with them... get a true friend code!

In my opinion, for children, this is a fun game to play, not a game to create a social network. In fact, I would like to see the parental control to automatically deny any friend request.

I play the game with them, my wife plays the game with them, even though she abhors the fact that anyone can just JUMP in or ACCIDENTALLY join thier combat duels and prolong a battle by causing more bad guys to come in.

In conclusion, to the original poster... I understand that you don't want your children exposed to that language and behavior, yet you don't want to filter it out either. The statement is contradictory, you cannot and never will be able to control others actions, except maybe your own children (for a few more years at least). Because you cannot control the bad behavior, and Kings Isle cannot catch each and every instance of this bad behavior, and you don't want your kids or yourself exposed to this bad behavior... USE the tools provided to filter this bad behavior.

I understand your plight, and frustration... but the sooner you can accept the fact that you are unfortunately powerless to do anything about it and KI is not responsible for the issues anymore than you are (Blaming someone will not resolve the issue) the less frustrated you will become and the more likely you will to use your tools and protect your children. (and stress level)

Survivor
Nov 02, 2008
I think why everyone is so pasionate on this topic is because we like the idea of this game being for the family and we like this game, YEA!

I'm not here to raise your kids but I'll tell them when they are out of line with me by report.

I will not engage with anyone that is upsetting, that usually is upsetting and will lead to you/me being reported.

meganaroni wrote:
there is a thing called filtered chat which allows text chat and prevention from seeing any non-suitable words.It will also stop your own child from typeing anything that is mispelled or innapropriate i have it and i can tell when some one is saying something innapropiate but it wont show the word. you can change it on the "my account page"

Do you consider meganaroni's statement a "hide your head in the sand" idea?
I don't, it's solid advise if you let this topic upset you while playing.
Know that the most areas for this type of behavior is Ravenwood and WC commons and don't go looking for it.

I do think that if KI could (by legal contract), take text privilages away for a period of time this to be the best action and 3 strikes you are out.

I think there are dedicated parents here, to parenting and to having having great fun with their kids and everyone else.
I think there are terrific kids here, polite and just plain fun, mine too!

You want to stop this bad word texting, how about showing some real praise for some great players in these two areas. Good words and dialouge for bad.

Just a thought, oh, have fun and be able to forget the creeps.

Thanks,
Oran Jade Hunter

Survivor
Jun 04, 2009
Don't even talk to them. If you see it just "Report" them as soon as your see them fighting (unless they are in PvP or in a battle against monsters). Or just don't even go to them. If they run away or teleport don't chase them down and waste weeks or days trying to find them. Just let other people reoprt them to. Some parents have diffrent opinions on what their kid(s) should say, do, or watch. But yes "Wizard 101" should do it. I have even seen them do capitals with other worlds to make a word. like "What Hat At That" to make words (but not WHAT like curse and cussing words).

- Matthew IceShield

Survivor
Dec 07, 2008
parents shouldn't be upset, they should be very loving, caring, and considerate of the fact that kids need coddling, love, admiration, and support.

remember they are kids, maybe not your own children, but kids, nontheless

Survivor
Jun 06, 2009
LaadyX wrote:
I understand your frustration and your not wanting to have to change the way your children play since they aren't the ones breaking the rules but honestly, I think this game is already extremely censored so I hope it doesn't go a whole lot further unless the word in question isn't totally necessary to begin with.

I've played all sorts of games and have had all sorts of problems, usually with dirty and dishonest players and a lack of moderation from the greedy company behind it so I know the flip side of things -- a totally chaotic environment. In fact, that's why I'm here. I got so fed up with being called filthy names and stalked and KSed and treated like dirt, even by higher levels and older players (as old as 31 believe it or not; not all adults are mature...), that I quit playing to find something else.

As much as I like the peace here (compared to there), it's extremely difficult to talk in-game sometimes. Earlier, a new player asked me how you get training points and I tried to explain to him that I think you get one every four levels (correct me if I'm wrong, I'm still new myself) but I couldn't say 4 or four and was at a loss for how to explain myself. I couldn't even make any of my usual in-game faces.

There will always be people who enjoy breaking the rules. At least KI seems to care which isn't always the case so it'd probably suffice just to keep reporting everyone you see behaving inappropriately.

Watch it, I'm some of that greedy company. I'm not dirty or dishonest. Just greedy :D .

I don't really mind it myself. I just ignore them and just go on about my business. Honestly, the only time I really use chat is when I'm looking for a group for a boss battle, or asking if a team mate can heal me.

Survivor
Sep 29, 2008
Okay I have NEVER seen cursing on the game and never touched the report button. :-)

Survivor
Mar 07, 2009
I understand how you can be upset at this..The game isn't even supposed to be this way! I'd advise everyone to report anyone who's language isn't appropriate. There are smaller kids on the website, and If I were a parent, I'd be very upset to see my kids getting cursed at, or even cursing. Very rude.

Survivor
Oct 25, 2008
I know how you feel. One time, there was a guy who teleported to me. Then, both my friends start calling him a noob. I try to tell him nicely to go, he goes. Then, he comes back. I tried to tell him to go again, but he said, "PIPE DOWN!". I was forced to remove him :(

Survivor
Jun 22, 2009
WillowDawn wrote:
I am just about fed up with the things some Kids are doing while online
in the Wizard City Commons or Ravenwood. My family is on a Text Chat, and so my Kids can see all being said. I don't feel I need to restrict them
because there are those that choose to violate the rules.

I don't appreciate the kids being online that do nothing but curse and use
filthy vulgar language! I witnessed several Kids, and I know they were kids, judging by the ridiculous fighting and things being said by them.

When I told them to Stop cursing and fighting, one replied and cursed at me, and I will not repeat what was said other then "PIPE DOWN LADY".
Something needs to be done with these kids, and Parents need to be notified that these Kids have been reported, because there are some of us Parents that don't want our kids around that type of filthy language!

I will report anyone I See cursing and fighting because it is getting really old to listen to.

Survivor
Jun 22, 2009
WillowDawn wrote:
I am just about fed up with the things some Kids are doing while online
in the Wizard City Commons or Ravenwood. My family is on a Text Chat, and so my Kids can see all being said. I don't feel I need to restrict them
because there are those that choose to violate the rules.

I don't appreciate the kids being online that do nothing but curse and use
filthy vulgar language! I witnessed several Kids, and I know they were kids, judging by the ridiculous fighting and things being said by them.

When I told them to Stop cursing and fighting, one replied and cursed at me, and I will not repeat what was said other then "PIPE DOWN LADY".
Something needs to be done with these kids, and Parents need to be notified that these Kids have been reported, because there are some of us Parents that don't want our kids around that type of filthy language!

I will report anyone I See cursing and fighting because it is getting really old to listen to.

take then name of the person down and post it for all to see maybe the parents will see their kids names and have a talk with them another things is just keep reporting the names.. is the staff has names they can watch for these players and do something faster. this is all that anyone can do. The staff is a small number of peoole covering a very large area and very large number of players. It is impossible to cober all areas they need all our help in weeding these players out. some of these players are in their early twentys down to just kids with no control or respect for ohers around them. Keep up the great work Staff ..... :) :)

Explorer
May 22, 2009
Survivor
May 02, 2009
I would like to make a suggestion to KI in regards to this ongoing problem.

A few months ago, my son, age 12, was able to create his own account. With no parental control from me at all. Granted, he was limited to strictly menu chat only, and I feel menu chat is very adequate, and quite limiting at the same time.

However, if you require parents to approve a childrens account, you get the parents email address. And no, this is not fool proof, and probably only works on those that are honest about their age, and email address.

But, then if a person using an account that had to have parental approval gets in trouble of any kind, KI could send out an email to the parent, letting the parent know what happened.

Sadly, many kids get away with a lot online because the parents either don't care, or worse, they think their child would never say or do this or that.

I realize it's not a fool proof solution, and there probably isn't one out there. But it may be helpful.

Another thing I would love is the ability to report a player while you are in battle, or they are in battle. I was in battle one day, and a person stood there in the center (there were 4 wizards, so no room for another one) saying things that shouldn't have been said. Then he disappeared right before the fight was finished. So here we had to put up with it for the duration of the battle, and couldn't even report him.

Likewise, I stumbled upon a person doing battle, and I actually waited over 5 minutes just to report him for his comments.

I do like the idea about telling them to tone down their talk though. I'll practice that a bit more :)[/quotE

You can report if someone is in a fight you can click on their name in the chat box and it will bring up their name. I hope this helps you :)

Defender
Jun 19, 2009
ccourter wrote:
I would like to make a suggestion to KI in regards to this ongoing problem.

A few months ago, my son, age 12, was able to create his own account. With no parental control from me at all. Granted, he was limited to strictly menu chat only, and I feel menu chat is very adequate, and quite limiting at the same time.

However, if you require parents to approve a childrens account, you get the parents email address. And no, this is not fool proof, and probably only works on those that are honest about their age, and email address.

But, then if a person using an account that had to have parental approval gets in trouble of any kind, KI could send out an email to the parent, letting the parent know what happened.

Sadly, many kids get away with a lot online because the parents either don't care, or worse, they think their child would never say or do this or that.

I realize it's not a fool proof solution, and there probably isn't one out there. But it may be helpful.

Another thing I would love is the ability to report a player while you are in battle, or they are in battle. I was in battle one day, and a person stood there in the center (there were 4 wizards, so no room for another one) saying things that shouldn't have been said. Then he disappeared right before the fight was finished. So here we had to put up with it for the duration of the battle, and couldn't even report him.

Likewise, I stumbled upon a person doing battle, and I actually waited over 5 minutes just to report him for his comments.

I do like the idea about telling them to tone down their talk though. I'll practice that a bit more :)

I agree. There's oftentimes, I see questionable stuff when in battle myself, or maybe, I just want to add a fellow duelist to my list because he or she was friendly and reliable in the fight. And we can't.

A way, tho', to still be able to report in battle might be to hit the Print Screen button and make screenies (which are saved in the install directory), then send the screenies to the Help Desk via file attachment.

I hope this helps. And sorry if this suggestion is made here already. I haven't reached the end of this thread. ^_^

Geographer
Feb 14, 2009
koolkid12 wrote:
Uhh, Kids cant help the fact they can't use Filthy Language, It's they're nature.

um no its not, they choose to say stuff like that cause they dont really care or have any manners, dont curse at all instead of bad words i say subs for them, like my friend would always say frek, instead of any bad words, due to it not having a meaning it isnt really "bad" like i say sheep, why i dont know but it seems better then other words. i alseo say creep but not to anyone just instead of other bad words ^-^

Survivor
Jun 22, 2009
i am a parent with a teen son and younger family members playing this game. it upsets me that i had to lock all our chats to only emotes, but what gets me upset the most is seeing people asking others to be their sweetheart, or boy looking for a girl type stuff going on. this is a game and i dont believe it is right for people asking those type things to others not knowing how old they are.

i would like to know why there hasnt been a filter on that type stuff along with cursing when a person types in any form of chat? that would stop most of our problems but not all..

Defender
Jun 19, 2009
jayde74 wrote:
i am a parent with a teen son and younger family members playing this game. it upsets me that i had to lock all our chats to only emotes, but what gets me upset the most is seeing people asking others to be their sweetheart, or boy looking for a girl type stuff going on. this is a game and i dont believe it is right for people asking those type things to others not knowing how old they are.

i would like to know why there hasnt been a filter on that type stuff along with cursing when a person types in any form of chat? that would stop most of our problems but not all..

I hear that. I often run into guys, coming on to me, and have to turn them does, since I am already spoke for. The first person that did it ported right into my dorm, then was so annoyed when I turned him down politely, he took me off his Friends List.

Go figure.

Defender
Aug 19, 2008
jayde74 wrote:

Really, how on earth could ki police that? It is sad that teens in our world would act this way...try having fun with it! A guy in Dragonspyre ran up to me...will you be my date? You are beautiful. I told him sure...lets go to O'Charleys. "HUH?" lol he went on about how wonderful he was. I let him go on for awhile...then asked him did he know he was talking to a grandma?

He disappeared...

Survivor
Oct 19, 2008
well i am just saying that kids just speak that way it is like in their words they speak. like i use to be affended by the way people would talk to me but i told them to stop and that you are being rude and they would stop. i know it is ignoint but that is just what kids do. i'm not saying that kids are bad or anything because i use to be one of them and i use to make wrong choicis but i grew out of it. some day they will all learn. :) this message is to willow dawn.

name is isaac dragon dreamer
lvl 45

Survivor
Dec 09, 2008
Us kids just can't resist.

Of course, no matter what you do, there are always ways that kids will be able to bypass chat filters to say rude things, like replacing bad words with words that sound alike, look alike, etc. The only solution would be for the wizard 101 team to take text chat right out of the game, but that would be unfair to people who are not using text chat inappropriately.

Defender
Aug 19, 2008
dreadskull wrote:
Us kids just can't resist.

Of course, no matter what you do, there are always ways that kids will be able to bypass chat filters to say rude things, like replacing bad words with words that sound alike, look alike, etc. The only solution would be for the wizard 101 team to take text chat right out of the game, but that would be unfair to people who are not using text chat inappropriately.

Wait...maybe we could film them and send the film to their moms!
(Personally my child would be banned from the computer if I saw him acting this way...but he is sitting next to me and I see exactly what he is doing.)

We cannot expect KI to police our children.

Teach your children to immediately leave an area where this type of behavior is going on.

Survivor
Jun 10, 2009
Hello Form,

After reading the board I thought I would post. I have seen many fights and have been harassed myself for no more a reason then I play the game with my kids.
I can ignore a lot of language the kids use and arguments they have. I figure its a right of passage for many children.

However what they have been doing to people is very disturbing. I don't know if any of you have really had this happen to you yet, but I would like to get the word out anyhow.
They have begun to form "clans" to hunt down adults, what they do is pass a name around then kids when they find that adult will wait until said adult is in a fight and jump in spawning more monsters to come, then flee. Also they might be friend you, then Call for Help and when you show up flee. Wait until you go to the Arena and have characters more powerful join in. In addition to this, they also have told people if you talk to said person, you will be put on the list with said person.
They also have been known to talk foul about the parent to the child to get the child mad and upset, then Report the child for trying to protect the parent.
One of the boys in the group claims to be the son of one of the people who made the game and says he is going to get my child's account closed.
I personally have placed them all on Ignore and made my child do the same.

I hope this helps parents to know the darker side of the social setting of the game.

Explorer
Nov 02, 2008
To be honest, sometimes I'm GLAD that I don't have Text Chat anymore. When I used to, you wouldn't believe how many times I reported people. I reported what, 6 people, maybe? They cursed at not only people, but ME as well. Kids (including myself) shouldn't be reading this kind of trash. It's ridiculous! And now with BORING old Menu Chat, my friend sometimes tells me what other people are saying, and mostly tells me when someone curses. You have know idea how much I wanted to report those people, but I can't. If I could, I would have reported 11 people total. Can you believe that? Those who are reported for a good reason should go back to Menu Chat. They don't deserve Text Chat anymore. As for me, I wanted my Text Chat off so I wouldn't have to read smart-Alec 7 year old's immature language. People shouldn't be talking like this, and moderators, go on Wizard101 with 18+ Chat on so you can see EVERYTHING that EVERYONE is saying. As soon as you see cursing with someone using 13-18 Text Chat, report them. Maybe those people would be taught a lesson when they find out they've been reported by a moderator. Does anyone agree with me?

~Michael ThunderSpear
Grandmaster Pyromancer

Defender
Jun 19, 2009
mommymonster wrote:
Hello Form,

After reading the board I thought I would post. I have seen many fights and have been harassed myself for no more a reason then I play the game with my kids.
I can ignore a lot of language the kids use and arguments they have. I figure its a right of passage for many children.

However what they have been doing to people is very disturbing. I don't know if any of you have really had this happen to you yet, but I would like to get the word out anyhow.
They have begun to form "clans" to hunt down adults, what they do is pass a name around then kids when they find that adult will wait until said adult is in a fight and jump in spawning more monsters to come, then flee. Also they might be friend you, then Call for Help and when you show up flee. Wait until you go to the Arena and have characters more powerful join in. In addition to this, they also have told people if you talk to said person, you will be put on the list with said person.
They also have been known to talk foul about the parent to the child to get the child mad and upset, then Report the child for trying to protect the parent.
One of the boys in the group claims to be the son of one of the people who made the game and says he is going to get my child's account closed.
I personally have placed them all on Ignore and made my child do the same.

I hope this helps parents to know the darker side of the social setting of the game.

Thanks for the warning. I had no idea. Do you have any idea, tho', how kids in the game would know an adult? I guess the Chat-type balloons are one, way. but that's assuming that all minors don't have Text privileges, and that a Text Chat balloon automatically flags you.

BTW, I heard of something just like this the other day, in this thread:
https://www.wizard101.com/site/posts/list/7834.ftl

I hate to say it, but it is a tread I have observe at a lot of internet sites. And that is, trolls are taking over the web. :(

Defender
Jun 19, 2009
LucarioAura45 wrote:
To be honest, sometimes I'm GLAD that I don't have Text Chat anymore. When I used to, you wouldn't believe how many times I reported people. I reported what, 6 people, maybe? They cursed at not only people, but ME as well. Kids (including myself) shouldn't be reading this kind of trash. It's ridiculous! And now with BORING old Menu Chat, my friend sometimes tells me what other people are saying, and mostly tells me when someone curses. You have know idea how much I wanted to report those people, but I can't. If I could, I would have reported 11 people total. Can you believe that? Those who are reported for a good reason should go back to Menu Chat. They don't deserve Text Chat anymore. As for me, I wanted my Text Chat off so I wouldn't have to read smart-Alec 7 year old's immature language. People shouldn't be talking like this, and moderators, go on Wizard101 with 18+ Chat on so you can see EVERYTHING that EVERYONE is saying. As soon as you see cursing with someone using 13-18 Text Chat, report them. Maybe those people would be taught a lesson when they find out they've been reported by a moderator. Does anyone agree with me?

~Michael ThunderSpear
Grandmaster Pyromancer

Maybe a Police Force of responsible adult players can be appointed. People whose main job is to patrol and report any misconduct that they see.

Thank goodness that I'm lucky nothing like that has happened to me. I have no doubt that it can and reading the Forums, I know to beware.

So far, the worse thing I get is guys asking me out. XD

I hear that some kids even even others for marriage. LOL! How would that even work anyway? Is Ambrose performing ceremonies and giving out marriage certificates now? Sorry, but what are some of these little boys thinking with that?

Survivor
Feb 22, 2009
Also, I can't believe people want someone to marry or even date them or kiss them 'cause Wizard101 is NOT an online dating service!!!!!! It's just a game where people can meet friends, help out each other, and have fun!!!!! Not asking someone out randomly or saying " Will you marry me" like this guy said on youtube to this girl who was trying to focus on doing her quests.
HE WOULDN'T STOP ASKING TILL SHE REPLIED TO HIS QUESTION!!!! I was like OMG.