Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Very Upset Parent

AuthorMessage
Explorer
Nov 23, 2008
I am just about fed up with the things some Kids are doing while online
in the Wizard City Commons or Ravenwood. My family is on a Text Chat, and so my Kids can see all being said. I don't feel I need to restrict them
because there are those that choose to violate the rules.

I don't appreciate the kids being online that do nothing but curse and use
filthy vulgar language! I witnessed several Kids, and I know they were kids, judging by the ridiculous fighting and things being said by them.

When I told them to Stop cursing and fighting, one replied and cursed at me, and I will not repeat what was said other then "PIPE DOWN LADY".
Something needs to be done with these kids, and Parents need to be notified that these Kids have been reported, because there are some of us Parents that don't want our kids around that type of filthy language!

I will report anyone I See cursing and fighting because it is getting really old to listen to.

Survivor
Feb 05, 2009
i KNow what you mean last 3/30/09 Night at ambrose in the commons there was a big fight and i know who you are on wizard101 connor or thats something like your name i saw you watching them last night i think that the text chat is good for some reasons but some people use it for saying bad things and fighting .

Survivor
Feb 17, 2009
Defender
Dec 31, 2008
I always ask players to stop when I see cursing or abusive speech in the game, and I report them if they continue. Some stop or go elsewhere as soon as they realize an adult is watching them, which encourages me to continue calling out bad behavior. I hope others reading this will also remind players using bad language that they are being watched (not only by adults but also by younger kids) and report them if they continue.

Some of the specific words people have been using recently to sound like bad words have now been removed and can't be said any more. People may think of new ways to sound like bad words, but it does show that the KI staff are looking at the chat logs, and listening to the emails complaining about language, and making changes based on that information.

Survivor
Sep 21, 2008
I agree with all of you. I think that those who abuse their text chat privileges should have them taken away. I have seen kids use words that are so innocent and use them to make horrible statements, I wouldn't even like to give an example. Parents believe that this game is wonderful for kids and it's safe but those people who are abusing their chat text privileges are ruining the game for all of the innocent people who are playing. Something needs to be done!

Explorer
Nov 23, 2008
MagicMuffin wrote:
I agree with all of you. I think that those who abuse their text chat privileges should have them taken away. I have seen kids use words that are so innocent and use them to make horrible statements, I wouldn't even like to give an example. Parents believe that this game is wonderful for kids and it's safe but those people who are abusing their chat text privileges are ruining the game for all of the innocent people who are playing. Something needs to be done!

Its STILL going on! KI's when are you all going to do something about these
kids using vulgar language?

Survivor
Feb 21, 2009
I think the word "marry" needs to be removed from the text chat.
I reported numerous people a few nights back because they were running around Ravenwood asking people to marry them.
I've been tempted to turn off my text chat because I'm tired of listening to these obnoxious little kids that are wanting to date someone via an online computer came.

Tasha RainbowBlood (21yr old ADULT)

Survivor
Jan 01, 2009
Willow, KI catches them as they can, but there are an awful lot of people online, and only so many staffers.

The best thing you can do is select the character(s) using the language and select the "report" option. That flags them and the staffers will look at the logs for the time period of your report. The will get warned or banned as needed.

Survivor
Mar 03, 2009
hey,
I agree with the parents on this page. I witness alot of vulgar words myself. So now I get on when the kids are at school.
I do believe that somethings shouldent be censored such as numbers. I dont understand the relevence of this. if someone asks how many frogs i have i have to say "for", or in a battle and ask how many myth traps are in hand. I do believe that the creaters are doing a great job with the filter program. I believe also there should be harsh punishments for it. Some words should be tagged if possible. Like "mother" . I have witnessed that several times. The texting for it shows "mother ... " It is good in all but i believe in this case anything after mother should tag mother.
Punishments could consist of week of frozen account, loss of wizards (not stuff) etc. I agree with kids will be kids, however in a family oriented game these should not be a issue.
Thank you for doing a great job on keeping this game fun and safe for all ages.
james wyrmcatcher

Defender
Apr 24, 2009
Well you cant just blame the kids for the cussing. Parents are the role models and if a parent cant control their kid's language especially on a family game like this than they need to go elsewhere where stuff like that is permitted. I being a parent want my kids to be able to play this game without having to see filthy language in it from other kids. It is bad enough that they listen to that stuff in movies and they dont need to be seeing it in a game like this.

Explorer
Feb 18, 2009
I would like to make a suggestion to KI in regards to this ongoing problem.

A few months ago, my son, age 12, was able to create his own account. With no parental control from me at all. Granted, he was limited to strictly menu chat only, and I feel menu chat is very adequate, and quite limiting at the same time.

However, if you require parents to approve a childrens account, you get the parents email address. And no, this is not fool proof, and probably only works on those that are honest about their age, and email address.

But, then if a person using an account that had to have parental approval gets in trouble of any kind, KI could send out an email to the parent, letting the parent know what happened.

Sadly, many kids get away with a lot online because the parents either don't care, or worse, they think their child would never say or do this or that.

I realize it's not a fool proof solution, and there probably isn't one out there. But it may be helpful.

Another thing I would love is the ability to report a player while you are in battle, or they are in battle. I was in battle one day, and a person stood there in the center (there were 4 wizards, so no room for another one) saying things that shouldn't have been said. Then he disappeared right before the fight was finished. So here we had to put up with it for the duration of the battle, and couldn't even report him.

Likewise, I stumbled upon a person doing battle, and I actually waited over 5 minutes just to report him for his comments.

I do like the idea about telling them to tone down their talk though. I'll practice that a bit more :)

Survivor
Mar 21, 2009
I agree, BUT i sort of dissagree. I am a kid, so that clears things up.
Only a couple of kids "curse" on W101, and those who do use subs for words. W101 would be a lot duller with words like bench, fun, sit, and witch removed. A person who used those words innapropriatly should be reported and converted to dull dull dull menu chat.
By the way, you can't report someone in a battle or pvp, and in a pvp match, you usually can't find a person afterwards, and pvps are where most cursing occurs.

Scarlet Ironflame, Death
Pet= Krok

Survivor
Jan 01, 2009
JCSandals,

I believe numbers were filtered to prevent passing telephone numbers and addresses to protect the kids from predators. Yes, I know it is frustrating, but it is one of the costs.

Survivor
Jun 11, 2008
I agree, BUT i sort of dissagree. I am a kid, so that clears things up.
Only a couple of kids "curse" on W101, and those who do use subs for words. W101 would be a lot duller with words like bench, fun, sit, and witch removed. A person who used those words innapropriatly should be reported and converted to dull dull dull menu chat.
By the way, you can't report someone in a battle or pvp, and in a pvp match, you usually can't find a person afterwards, and pvps are where most cursing occurs.

Scarlet Ironflame, Death
Pet= Krok

Attempted Javascript Attack With COLOR

Survivor
Mar 03, 2009
darkwater, and creators,
Thank you for the clarification. I understand a little bit better. Now I am glad for this.
If it could be possible in the future to be able to limit the amont of numbers used would be better. numbers are specially good for the short time to comunicate with the other players in a battle. Possiblly limiting the numbers to be used just in battle, and be limit to the hundreths place. just something to think about.
Thanks again.
jcsandals

Administrator
Hello Students!

Please check out the related forum thread titled “Wizardly Chatting” in the Ravenwood Commons. There’s a lot of great & useful comments from several posters on both threads.

I would like to take a moment and reiterate a few things (as they tend to get buried in the flurry of sentiments):

1.KingsIsle reads EVERY report and ticket submitted. Contrary to popular belief, each ticket is handled by a real person and all reports of inappropriate behavior are reviewed, including the chat logs. If you witness bad language, or most especially exchanges of personal information, submit a report.
a. We are aware of the limitations in reporting in PVP and are working on coming up with a logistical solution.

2. Sanctions are issued to ALL email addresses on the account (presumably an Under 13 account would have the correct parental email address entered).
a. Warnings, muting, suspending and banning are all employed based on the severity (&/or frequency) of the offense.

3. There is NO regard as to subscription status when issuing a sanction – period. If an account is found to have violated the Terms of Use, it will be sanctioned.

4. While we diligently try to keep the white/black list current and comprehensive, there is a very small percentage of the game’s students that believe part of the fun is to thwart the filter. No matter how much we lock down, filter, sanction, there will be instances of folks coming up with very creative means to treat each other badly – this is why we rely on the community at large to assist by using the report feature appropriately. This allows us to better capture trends and new phrases (btw: Noob is not a swear word – it’s not a nice word, but neither is dirt clod or Malistaire – others reactions frequently dictate how much impact a word may/not have).
a. The Ignore button is commonly overlooked, as is the changing of realms, to extricate from unpleasant interactions – remember, it’s ok to report, ignore and change realms. Parents can use those as tools to coach their kids too, when faced with rude players rather than engaging in verbal battles that get both parties sanctioned.

5. True Friend Code – if you only enable this feature and disable Filtered Text, you can effectively limit your interactions with and visibility to other conversations to the community at large by only having conversation with people you know in real life.
a. Make friends with the Options tab of the spellbook in game and with the My Accounts screen on this website. You can set a host of settings from chat balloons to overhead names to chat type.

6. Yes, numbers and most proper nouns are blacklisted to help ensure the safety of our younger players. That’s not to say these can’t be gotten around, we’re aware of the tricks too, but we’re sure not going to make it easy for anyone to give/get any personal information. Understand, most of what we implement for this type of thing is going to have been given consideration on the impact to our youngest population.

7. KingsIsle works very hard to maintain a supportive relationship with those parents that are involved with their children’s gaming experience and we are most willing to communicate with anyone that is seeking information on how to establish &/or apply the parental controls.

To all true students that know how to conduct themselves in a fashion the professors of the Spiral would be proud of, we give you our heartfelt thanks and wish you years of happy questing!

Please, send me a ticket if you have a concern or question you’d like addressed!

As always,

Survivor
Sep 11, 2008
susume wrote:
I always ask players to stop when I see cursing or abusive speech in the game, and I report them if they continue. Some stop or go elsewhere as soon as they realize an adult is watching them, which encourages me to continue calling out bad behavior. I hope others reading this will also remind players using bad language that they are being watched (not only by adults but also by younger kids) and report them if they continue.

Some of the specific words people have been using recently to sound like bad words have now been removed and can't be said any more. People may think of new ways to sound like bad words, but it does show that the KI staff are looking at the chat logs, and listening to the emails complaining about language, and making changes based on that information.

I think that text chat should be completely open. But that the chat logs should be moderated by Moderators in-game and offline. Like In Club Penguin, a game me and brothers enjoy, they have mods in game and off.They ban anyone who uses a bad word, for a day to forever. Even though their chat is already limited.

But seriously, think about it. These are games. Never were games intended for adults. Now an Online game is not only about the playing together but about the social. I play with my brothers and friends, and we cant even tell each other a simple sentence without three dots in the middle of it.
I cant spell Im, because you guys think it means Instant message, you have to think of this game for what it is... for the youth... parents can try to control it but you guys never will. Kids are forever trying to be defiant and a parent's influence over their little release of daily stress, being this game or any other game, just makes them mad.

I am 15 , I play this game without cursing.
But i do have a problem with parents including my own, trying to control every little thing that is related to me.
If your child's 5 and knows curses... i think you should be pointing the finger at yourself.

Explorer
Feb 07, 2009
Shadowtribal wrote:
<snip>
But seriously, think about it. These are games. Never were games intended for adults.
<snip>
But i do have a problem with parents including my own, trying to control every little thing that is related to me.
If your child's 5 and knows curses... i think you should be pointing the finger at yourself.

This made me burst out laughing! Do you think that when you become an adult, you will not want to play games? Especially with Wizard 101, it is evident that the creators intended this "children's game" to also be for adults as much as children, or there wouldn't be so many clever references in the dialogs (many of which only older adults would understand). They know very well that if they make a game for both kids and adults, their profit will be greater.

And yes, the filter is very often extremely annoying, since it allows very few variations of spellings. (Oh no! I have to spell correctly!) But I can live with that. You can socialize and have fun with regular language, can't you? Adults aren't trying to "control" you so that you won't have any fun. They just want you to behave in a manner that is appropriate around younger children.

Survivor
Mar 15, 2009
Shadowtribal wrote:
susume wrote:

I think that text chat should be completely open. But that the chat logs should be moderated by Moderators in-game and offline. Like In Club Penguin, a game me and brothers enjoy, they have mods in game and off.They ban anyone who uses a bad word, for a day to forever. Even though their chat is already limited.

But seriously, think about it. These are games. Never were games intended for adults. Now an Online game is not only about the playing together but about the social. I play with my brothers and friends, and we cant even tell each other a simple sentence without three dots in the middle of it.
I cant spell Im, because you guys think it means Instant message, you have to think of this game for what it is... for the youth... parents can try to control it but you guys never will. Kids are forever trying to be defiant and a parent's influence over their little release of daily stress, being this game or any other game, just makes them mad.

Thank you!

Survivor
Apr 08, 2009
I think you over-sensitive parents that would rather spend your time spanking kids you don't know just because they find clever ways to use the chat filter in ways not intended and want to show off their cleverness in crowded areas, need to take a step back and look at the big picture. Yes your kids may read it, but your kids already hear worse things in school from other kids. Real life talking isn't filtered at all, right? Be happy there is a chat filter at all.

You also have to keep in mind that with the number of kids playing, there is no way staff at KI can watch what everyone says. They can set the limitations and hope that helps. And, it probably does do a lot of filtering.

I personally think the chat is too filtered. I find myself rewriting my comments more then I'd like because a common word is red. I've actually turned off my chat because I didn't feel like dealing with the filter. Perhaps you want everyone to do that. Who needs talking? We can just nod, shake and point. Oh wait, no emotes either.

Believe it or not, but kids are smart, and they will find a way to say what they want. My biggest problem with this game is the chat filter. There should be a way to remove it in the parent controls, if you wish.

Censor censorship!

I ... with your ... while you were ... !!! - It's like madlibs!

I'm 31 and a parent of a 4 year old who loves her firecat and banshees, dueling skeleton pirates and especially Burnie.

Survivor
Apr 26, 2009
i have a question about subscribing. i used my $25 visa gift card to subscribe this month and $5 for crowns and i tried to subscribe for someone else but it didn't work and then i was charged one dollar every time i tried again does anyone know why? i have a sad kid here wanted to be a member but can't now.

Administrator
Hi There!

While it's a bit off topic for this string, I do get a lot of questions about that $1 "charge". It's not a charge, it's an authorization and will be deleted from your bank within 1-5 business days (just depends on the individual bank). It's the same process like when you use your debit card at the gas station, it's just a call to your bank to ensure that everything's matching up appropriately (name, address, card#, cvv, etc.). Multiple attempts to complete a transaction result in multiple authorizations, so you see the $1 for each attempt.

Don't worry, they are NOT charges - the dollar authorizations never leave your bank account.

Please contact me directly if you have further questions!

Survivor
Apr 26, 2009
well i'm glad was cleared up but i still don' t know why i cant subscribe for my friend i must have put the right information because that one dollar charge was on my card history.

Survivor
May 08, 2009
I just now started playing because my 8 stepdaughter started playing and got her daddy into it, who in turn got me into it! Now we just bought a full subscription today for the three of us and I have not yet seen or played enough of the game to see these things occur.

What I do know is this, I have played neopets for about 6 years, and they have come a LONG way on controlling the language and immaturity on that site. My humble advice to any other parent would be to be patient with the moderators and programmers of this website because it seems in the younger stages, and yet is still a very advanced game. Just continue to report, and try to play with your child if possible.

And also what we will do with our 8 year old is tell her if she sees those kinds of things to walk away from it and NEVER get involved or talk to those people that say those kinds of things. She is a very smart girl, and has heard curse words. (She even gets on her dad and I when we slip up!) We take opportunities like that to teach her what kind of behaviour is unacceptable on the internet, and what kind of people to stay away from.

That being said, I know the mods are working hard to solve these issues (if for nothing else but legal reasons!) they do not want to be liable for anything, so rest assured these kinds of things will not continue and they will find ways to put a stop to it.

And please no one take offense to this, I am in NO WAY what-so-ever telling anyone else how to raise their child or what to be okay with or not to be okay with, so please don't take it as that. All I meant by saying this is letting others know what has worked for us, and that a resolution I'm sure will come quickly.

:)

Explorer
Sep 11, 2008
Not every child can be like that. Some are calmer and they don't curse too much. I mean I also am a kid like moonfactored is and I don't curse.
For the kids that do curse, you can't expect them to be good immediately. You have to take care of them and they will stop cursing eventually when they are older because they learned how to behave. So if you meet a kid, don't expect him/her to be cursing because they might not like to curse.

But... I do think you should report whoever cursed and put some more things to say on the Menu Chat. Like I used to be Text Chat and now I am on Menu Chat so we really need better things to say so players can get more help. I mean, almost every text chat player is high lvl, but not the menu chat. It's not just because their kids, it's because they don't have Text Chat to make friends so that they can help you.

Thanks,

Destiny

Oh and DearXBongo is right! Just wanted to say that!