Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

New Item: Shields

AuthorMessage
Defender
Aug 03, 2011
I thought it might be cool to be able to carry a shield on your arm. It will be centered around defensive strategies and will give resist, stun block, ETC. It can still give damage, critical, and more but a bit less than boots. We can put the 60 shields in the waterworks because it would be cool that way. Depending on the world it is in is what it would look like. As in Zafaria, you could carry a zebra shield. Also, if pets could start using small wands automatically but they wont use your blades. the auto-pet attacks can do 10 damage.

Explorer
Oct 11, 2008
It wouldn't really work that well due to the 2h wands and their 1h stats. But I could see how it could still work out. Then maybe you could wear the shield on you back?

Armiger
May 10, 2010
Love the idea, it has been requested many times in the past. We are all still anxiously awaiting KI to implement this idea. Who knows.

Champion
Apr 18, 2010
This would only work if:

1. You can either have a wand or a shield equipped (not both!)

2. Change all wands to be offensive oriented.

So an example of a shield would be:

+40 block
+2% resist
+2% accuracy
Gives 1: Storm shield, Ice shield, Fire Shield

Wand:
+40 critical
+2% damage
+2% power pips
Gives 3 0 pip attack cards.

Basically, wands would be redesigned to only give offensive stats, and shield would be made with only defensive stats. I think that may benefit wizard101 as it would allow players to make important decisions when choosing gear.

Armiger
May 10, 2010
Solstice64 wrote:
This would only work if:

+40 block
+2% resist
+2% accuracy

Wand:
+40 critical
+2% damage
+2% power pips

Basically, wands would be redesigned to only give offensive stats, and shield would be made with only defensive stats. I think that may benefit wizard101 as it would allow players to make important decisions when choosing gear.

Really? That is the only way this will work? A wand or most swords in this game are 1 handed. Do you not have 2 hands?

Now, if you are using a bow or a 2 handed sword, could the shield not be attached to your side or on your back?

I do like the idea of shields being defense and wands/swords being offense, but no reason you can't have both, now is there? I do seem to recall 2 hands in wizards, not 1.

Illuminator
Feb 09, 2009
We're wizards, not knights. Just because KI decided to implement wands that look like swords (why, I'll never know) doesn't mean they're used exactly like swords. Also, we already have shielding spells.

Armiger
May 10, 2010
AkihiroHattori5 wrote:
We're wizards, not knights. Just because KI decided to implement wands that look like swords (why, I'll never know) doesn't mean they're used exactly like swords. Also, we already have shielding spells.

I know we are Wizards, however, KI did implement swords. If you are going to go for a look, you might as well go all the way.

Don't think we are talking about shielding spells, I think we are talking about the Shield being in an Equipment slot, for shields, or gauntlets, to where you can use these for an increase in defensive stats.

Yes, this might make our wizards even more overpowered than they already are, but it would still be cool.

Can blame him for posting his Idea, now can you?

Champion
Nov 22, 2008
Solstice64 wrote:
This would only work if:

+40 block
+2% resist
+2% accuracy

Wand:
+40 critical
+2% damage
+2% power pips

So there! Indeed we would have to redisgn wands. I had a other thought too. what if they allowed wands to look like swords? Then they would be great with the shields. also i know there are some sword wands but we need more. sword wands are aso fun at parties.

Defender
Jun 14, 2010
This is a really great idea!
Even if they didnt have stats, it's still a cool idea just for the appearence factor alone.

I do think Darthjt is correct when he says:

darthjt wrote:
Yes, this might make our wizards even more overpowered than they already are, but it would still be cool.

Maybe having an item with Critical block, stun block, and universal resist is a tad OP.

What I would suggest instead, is to give the shields a 20% chance to reduce imcoming damage by half.

So if someone is coming at you with a 1000 hit points Wraith, the shield MIGHT reduce that damage to 500.

Just a thought.

Mastermind
Jul 25, 2010
dodgeballking wrote:
I thought it might be cool to be able to carry a shield on your arm. It will be centered around defensive strategies and will give resist, stun block, ETC. It can still give damage, critical, and more but a bit less than boots. We can put the 60 shields in the waterworks because it would be cool that way. Depending on the world it is in is what it would look like. As in Zafaria, you could carry a zebra shield. Also, if pets could start using small wands automatically but they wont use your blades. the auto-pet attacks can do 10 damage.
Well if the bears in Wintertusk can do it so can we.

Archon
Oct 24, 2010
Once again, I do not like this idea (it's been posted many times before). We have shields in our spell deck. I don't want to be carrying around more gear. Sorry

Illuminator
Feb 09, 2009
darthjt wrote:
I know we are Wizards, however, KI did implement swords. If you are going to go for a look, you might as well go all the way.

Don't think we are talking about shielding spells, I think we are talking about the Shield being in an Equipment slot, for shields, or gauntlets, to where you can use these for an increase in defensive stats.

Can blame him for posting his Idea, now can you?

Going "all the way" is easier said than done, and of all people to outright ignore how overpowered this may make wizards (especially your beloved Sorcerers) I'd figure you to be the last one. I just like the idea of Wizard101 staying somewhat true to the whole idea of wizards. And even though we're not talking about shielding spells, the redundancy does need to be taken into account.

Defender
Jun 06, 2009
dodgeballking wrote:

I think this is a good idea, but as another player mentioned, there are two-haneded weapons so we should do them on our back. I think shields should be lvl 60+, give stun block ratings and resists, NO OFFENSE, and diferent randomized ward spells o_0? I think this would make the game interest increase tenthfold, and would be super awesome.

-WilliamDeathhead, Transcended Necromancer. See you in the spiral!