Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Why does everyone hate Steampunk?

AuthorMessage
Defender
Sep 29, 2010
I have noticed a few posts mentioning Steampunk. I know allot of people aren't too fond of the art and I'm quite fine with that. But if you don't like the art there is no reason to explain every little detail as to why you don't like it. Almost every Steampunk topic I have seen have been shot down with words. I have seen some people say "Yea, thats cool, I'd like that." Then most others say "This is wizard101, not a science fiction fair.", or "This is wizard101 not the year 1750 in London." I personally am a huge fan of Steampunk and I know allot of people may not be into it, but if you don't like it simply say "No" or "Sorry that doesn't seem like a good idea."

P.S. If you look further back into the message boards be sure to check the topic "Machinist's and Monarch's hoard pack". It contains my ideas of a Steampunk type pack with clothes, wands, pets and mounts.

Wolf Nightbreeze, Transcended Theurgist

Hero
Jul 27, 2009
people do not understand what steam punk is and are thrown off by the word "punk"

per the wikipedia:

" " Steampunk is a sub-genre of science fiction, fantasy, alternate history, and speculative fiction that came into prominence during the 1980s and early 1990s.[1] Steampunk involves a setting where steam power is still widely used—usually Victorian era Britain or "Wild West"-era United States—that incorporates elements of either science fiction or fantasy. Works of steampunk often feature anachronistic technology, or futuristic innovations as Victorians might have envisioned them, based on a Victorian perspective on fashion, culture, architectural style, and art. This technology includes such fictional machines as those found in the works of H. G. Wells and Jules Verne, or the contemporary authors Philip Pullman, Scott Westerfeld and China Mieville.
Other examples of steampunk contain alternative history-style presentations of such technology as lighter-than-air airships, analog computers, or such digital mechanical computers as Charles Babbage and Ada Lovelace's Analytical Engine. " "

before anyone down talks anything they should do a little research first.

i personally like the style enough that i am going to add element of steam punk to my homes decor.... and yes they will fit right in.

Defender
Sep 29, 2010
hobi wrote:
people do not understand what steam punk is and are thrown off by the word "punk"

per the wikipedia:

" " Steampunk is a sub-genre of science fiction, fantasy, alternate history, and speculative fiction that came into prominence during the 1980s and early 1990s.[1] Steampunk involves a setting where steam power is still widely used—usually Victorian era Britain or "Wild West"-era United States—that incorporates elements of either science fiction or fantasy. Works of steampunk often feature anachronistic technology, or futuristic innovations as Victorians might have envisioned them, based on a Victorian perspective on fashion, culture, architectural style, and art. This technology includes such fictional machines as those found in the works of H. G. Wells and Jules Verne, or the contemporary authors Philip Pullman, Scott Westerfeld and China Mieville.
Other examples of steampunk contain alternative history-style presentations of such technology as lighter-than-air airships, analog computers, or such digital mechanical computers as Charles Babbage and Ada Lovelace's Analytical Engine. " "

before anyone down talks anything they should do a little research first.

i personally like the style enough that i am going to add element of steam punk to my homes decor.... and yes they will fit right in.

Finally, a person who knows exactly what steampunk is and who took the time to describe it to everyone else.

Hero
Sep 08, 2008
Well explained Hobi.

I am too, one of the people always turned off by the word or vision of "punk."

The pet pavillion's hatchery could be considered a multi-colored steam punk theme. No? Or do I have it wrong also? xD

Defender
Jan 25, 2012
love steam punk song around the world. also panic at the disco did a steam punk vid for the song Mona Lisa's smile. was just awesome!

Champion
May 03, 2011
I'm also a fan. I love the animation of Marleybone precisely because of its steampunk look. I wish they'd give us more clothes with that look, too! Top hats for girls, etc. I guess I read a lot of sci-fi--old and new--and that's why I appreciate it. I don't have a problem with the word "punk" either--it's a nice germanic-origin word that used to have a negative connotation when applied to a person, but has now been re-appropriated as an aesthetic. I love when people take a word that's negative and give it a new, more positive spin. That's a living language! Anyway, yeah--steampunk is cool. The W101 designers obviously thought so too--it's a clear influence on the design of both MB and CL.

Defender
Sep 29, 2010
Shiningfantasia wrote:
Well explained Hobi.

I am too, one of the people always turned off by the word or vision of "punk."

The pet pavillion's hatchery could be considered a multi-colored steam punk theme. No? Or do I have it wrong also? xD

Hmmmm, I would look it up on Google, just so you can get a full view of what the art is. Its pretty interesting.