Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Players that only practice forever, why?

AuthorMessage
Geographer
Aug 28, 2010
A little while ago, I decided to switch over from my Balance to my Level 70 Death, to see if I could get him to Warlord. I set up my deck, no treasure cards to start with, and joined a PvP 1v1 practice match (Level 68 or above). Hey, it's practice, why waste any Treasure cards on the first few matches...

I ended up getting a player that had been playing Practice matches only, for the past two years (not to mention I was stuck going second). He was good, with a solid stratergy, and was using plenty of treasure cards. Finally, after I knew I had no chance of winning with my deck as it was, I decided to flee. It's practice, why waste my time with the deck I had, when I knew it was set up wrong.

Anyway, why, I mean why, would anyone just play practice matches for over two years and never do a ranked match. What does it prove, if anything, you only fight beginners most of the time. If you fight a person of rank, it's only when they are trying out a new deck setup. I just don't see any reason to do this, it doesn't make any sense to me.

Does anyone do this, and if so, why do you do it?

Joe.

Hero
Jun 08, 2009
Well, as a solid Practice PvPer, I think I can answer your question. My number one reason is that I am scared of Ice Wizards. I need to keep practicing until I can finally win more then I lose against them. Also, I think I do better with nothing at stake. I mainly PvP for fun, in particular, and enjoy the free amusement of watching a Warlord act confused after a Sergeant beats him, lol.

Cya in the Spiral,

Paul Stormglade, Transcended Diviner

Go Sparks!

Astrologist
Jun 04, 2010
Lion359 wrote:
A little while ago, I decided to switch over from my Balance to my Level 70 Death, to see if I could get him to Warlord. I set up my deck, no treasure cards to start with, and joined a PvP 1v1 practice match (Level 68 or above). Hey, it's practice, why waste any Treasure cards on the first few matches...

I ended up getting a player that had been playing Practice matches only, for the past two years (not to mention I was stuck going second). He was good, with a solid stratergy, and was using plenty of treasure cards. Finally, after I knew I had no chance of winning with my deck as it was, I decided to flee. It's practice, why waste my time with the deck I had, when I knew it was set up wrong.

Anyway, why, I mean why, would anyone just play practice matches for over two years and never do a ranked match. What does it prove, if anything, you only fight beginners most of the time. If you fight a person of rank, it's only when they are trying out a new deck setup. I just don't see any reason to do this, it doesn't make any sense to me.

Joe.

I play mostly practice. Unlike the wizard you fought, I generally play it with my PvE deck (unless I'm testing a theory for ranked) and rarely use treasure cards. I play practice vs. ranked for a couple of reasons. First and foremost, people are generally more friendly and relaxed in practice. Second, I can win with just a simple PvE deck setup and therefore I can sneak in a match or two and not have to switch out equipment. Finally, I'm often just too lazy to go do all the prep work (treasure cards, farming for gold for treasure cards, pet training, etc.) necessary for a highly competitive ranked match.

Personality-wise, I am fiercely competitive with myself, but I don't like being so with others. I don't enjoy smack talk and I feel bad when I crush the unprepared as doing so causes them to lose rank. Don't get me wrong... I enjoy ranked occasionally, but all the waiting and going through opponents just to get to one that feels like a good enjoyable match is annoying. At the end of the day, I play this game as a leisure activity, not as a competitive sport. I would much prefer to play casually and meet people I can chat with than beat down twelve year olds.

Champion
May 03, 2011
More relaxing? Friendlier atmosphere? Maybe people just want to have fun and are worried that ranked matches will take the enjoyment out of it. By way of analogy, I enjoy playing tennis matches in real life with friends, but am not really interested in competing in tournaments and so on--because then you are playing against people who are ultra-competitive and have the best equipment, take lessons, and so on (they also grunt more--thankfully that's not an issue in ranked PvP :-) ) Similarly, to be really good at PvP requires a significant investment of time (hatching and training the perfect pet, making treasure cards, etc. etc.), studying strategies--and many of us just don't have or want to devote that much time to it.

Or maybe they are just scared. :?

Geographer
Aug 28, 2010
bionaknight wrote:
Well, as a solid Practice PvPer, I think I can answer your question. My number one reason is that I am scared of Ice Wizards. I need to keep practicing until I can finally win more then I lose against them. Also, I think I do better with nothing at stake. I mainly PvP for fun, in particular, and enjoy the free amusement of watching a Warlord act confused after a Sergeant beats him, lol.

Cya in the Spiral,

Go Sparks!

Paul,

I will say this, from a Storm point of view, I can understand completely.
I have never Ranked pvp'ed my Strom at all, mainly because of how easy I have beat most of them. I can one hit most storm, but I can't do that to any other wizard the way I play. My Storm's health is just too low to stay alive, even with the life amulet, and close to 40 % resist.
So while I like my Storm in the game, I don't like to use him in PvP.
Plus, I don't like the idea of using a stratergy like spamming wild bolts.
I agree on Ice, at over 4000 health now, and solid resist to Storm, I would be concerned about them too.

Thanks for the reply,
Joe.

Squire
Jan 05, 2010
gtarhannon wrote:
Lion359 wrote:

Joe.

I play mostly practice. Unlike the wizard you fought, I generally play it with my PvE deck (unless I'm testing a theory for ranked) and rarely use treasure cards. I play practice vs. ranked for a couple of reasons. First and foremost, people are generally more friendly and relaxed in practice. Second, I can win with just a simple PvE deck setup and therefore I can sneak in a match or two and not have to switch out equipment. Finally, I'm often just too lazy to go do all the prep work (treasure cards, farming for gold for treasure cards, pet training, etc.) necessary for a highly competitive ranked match.

Personality-wise, I am fiercely competitive with myself, but I don't like being so with others. I don't enjoy smack talk and I feel bad when I crush the unprepared as doing so causes them to lose rank. Don't get me wrong... I enjoy ranked occasionally, but all the waiting and going through opponents just to get to one that feels like a good enjoyable match is annoying. At the end of the day, I play this game as a leisure activity, not as a competitive sport. I would much prefer to play casually and meet people I can chat with than beat down twelve year olds.
Be careful, there are certainly some 12 year olds in ranked that from second can make your head spin faster than you can cast a frost beetle, I've ran into a few. There are master pianists and chess champions at the age of twelve. Dedication breeds expierience and I'm sure there is a volume of adults in ranked that don't have a clue what they are doing in pvp. On topic: I would encourage everyone to jump into ranked once in awhile, a good way to learn someone is to play against good tactical players, observe strategy and learn from defeat.

Hero
Jun 08, 2009
Lion359 wrote:
bionaknight wrote:

Cya in the Spiral,

Go Sparks!

Paul,

I will say this, from a Storm point of view, I can understand completely.
I have never Ranked pvp'ed my Strom at all, mainly because of how easy I have beat most of them. I can one hit most storm, but I can't do that to any other wizard the way I play. My Storm's health is just too low to stay alive, even with the life amulet, and close to 40 % resist.
So while I like my Storm in the game, I don't like to use him in PvP.
Plus, I don't like the idea of using a stratergy like spamming wild bolts.
I agree on Ice, at over 4000 health now, and solid resist to Storm, I would be concerned about them too.

Thanks for the reply,
Joe.
Sorry if I wasn't clear, or if this isn't what you meant:
I do not use the Bolting strategy. My main Strategy against Ice is to use Leviathan and Triton since htey hit more powerfully then most of my spells, and Shield when they are about to attack. This wins me about 1 quarter of my duels versus Ices, which is not enough. I am basically biding my time until I finally make a strategic breakthrough, and of course the other reasons I mentioned. Thinking of requesting strategies for beating Ice in different guides, though I fear all I will find is "Spam Bolt".

Astrologist
Jun 04, 2010
travisAk wrote:
Be careful, there are certainly some 12 year olds in ranked that from second can make your head spin faster than you can cast a frost beetle, I've ran into a few. There are master pianists and chess champions at the age of twelve. Dedication breeds expierience and I'm sure there is a volume of adults in ranked that don't have a clue what they are doing in pvp. On topic: I would encourage everyone to jump into ranked once in awhile, a good way to learn someone is to play against good tactical players, observe strategy and learn from defeat.

Very true. I wasn't trying to imply that all 12 year old players are bad at PvP (were that true, you would move past them quickly as you climb in rank), just that I feel bad when I beat one. Prodigy or not, they still only have the emotional development of a 12 year old. That feeling, combined with generally disliking myself when I get overly competitive and the fact that I'm disinclined to spend money or time prepping for high level matches is why I play mostly practice.

Champion
May 03, 2011
Be careful, there are certainly some 12 year olds in ranked that from second can make your head spin faster than you can cast a frost beetle, I've ran into a few. There are master pianists and chess champions at the age of twelve.

This is absolutely true. I have run into a few also--not just in PvP. It's humbling. :?

Survivor
Aug 10, 2009
wouldn't the #1 reason be that only subscribers can play rank and non subscribers are limited to practice?

A lot of people play subscribed for a while to do the spirals and then stop paying until the world is created. A lot of others just pay there way into zones for advancements.

Champion
Feb 03, 2012
For me it's simple, it's because there are too many people who are mean to me in ranked pvp. I mean seriously when i win they trash talk me, and when i lose lose they call me a noob. This almost never happens in practice.

A+ Student
Mar 02, 2010
Lion359 wrote:

Joe.

I do ranked pvp from time to time, but in practice, al I've been facing lately is warlords, and I win against them, so if I can already beat treasure spammers, then what's the point of boosting up my rank if it proves nothing?

Explorer
Nov 06, 2010
I prefer the ranked matches, but I considering quitting it until level 70 because my rewards for playing smart and getting some luck end up with me facing level 60's and 70's, at level 40?

Therefore, unranked matches are a bliss. You play against people of like level. I believe level is the ultimate equalizer: armor, resists, power pips, damage bonuses, spells, and even hit points are in a range where everyone has a chance! Woot!

Compared to ranked fighting, I can see why people would stick with unranked. I just don't know why K.I. hasn't moved the same options to ranked matches. Why not let people play against their levels?