Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Mugged in the Spiral

AuthorMessage
Champion
May 03, 2011
It was one of those events that makes me wish I had menu chat. I was in GH, minding my own business--chatting with a friend--and someone comes up to me and asks if I can "gift her a permanent mount and a pet." As a begging request, it was pretty extreme--usually people only ask for packs. But anyway, I said no, I can't. So this total stranger lets loose with a stream of foul language and slurs. I reported her, and thought that was it. I didn't reply. She keeps at it. I reported her again--momentarily forgetting the existence of the Ignore button, since I had never used it before. I leave the area, and send back this message "I hope you get muted." Well, she was prepared, and said that she hoped I got killed. What the...? I finally remembered Ignore (trust me, I'll remember it sooner next time), and logged out. The next morning, I thought I was over this. The next night--last night--I logged in for my usual evening of gameplay, and realized I didn't feel good about it anymore. The fun had left. I was also worried about my son and other kids his age, running into people like this. I mean, she could still be out there...yeah, mom instincts on overdrive. :? Anyway, I know there is little KI can do about this, and the game is safe in a Real World way--she's gone in that sense. But seriously, this gifting thing is getting out of hand. And if this happened to my son, I really might reconsider letting him have text chat. Well, anyway, that's my little adventure. Peace out.

A+ Student
Dec 11, 2010
tabby714 wrote:
It was one of those events that makes me wish I had menu chat. I was in GH, minding my own business--chatting with a friend--and someone comes up to me and asks if I can "gift her a permanent mount and a pet." As a begging request, it was pretty extreme--usually people only ask for packs. But anyway, I said no, I can't. So this total stranger lets loose with a stream of foul language and slurs. I reported her, and thought that was it. I didn't reply. She keeps at it. I reported her again--momentarily forgetting the existence of the Ignore button, since I had never used it before. I leave the area, and send back this message "I hope you get muted." Well, she was prepared, and said that she hoped I got killed. What the...? I finally remembered Ignore (trust me, I'll remember it sooner next time), and logged out. The next morning, I thought I was over this. The next night--last night--I logged in for my usual evening of gameplay, and realized I didn't feel good about it anymore. The fun had left. I was also worried about my son and other kids his age, running into people like this. I mean, she could still be out there...yeah, mom instincts on overdrive. :? Anyway, I know there is little KI can do about this, and the game is safe in a Real World way--she's gone in that sense. But seriously, this gifting thing is getting out of hand. And if this happened to my son, I really might reconsider letting him have text chat. Well, anyway, that's my little adventure. Peace out.

yes the gift begging gets outta hand and when that player gets mad remember two important steps that will solve the problem completely
1. dont let what they said bother you and mention there on your ignore list
2. press your friend the ignore button and it will block that persons words from reaching you

these steps alone can make sure your spiral adventures go smooth

if there in the dungeon with you and this happens there is another few steps ya can do to leave the bully
1. break every trap that ya can
2. tell any friends with ya via private chat that your gonna leave these bullies and they should do the same
3. leave with friends if there in dungeon with ya
then follow the first few steps for the 4th and 5th step

good luck in your adventures and always reach for the stars

Hero
Sep 08, 2008
I believe there is only one solution to this. Get rid of gifting. Permanently. Period.

Defender
Dec 25, 2008
Shiningfantasia wrote:
I believe there is only one solution to this. Get rid of gifting. Permanently. Period.

See you cant do that with all of the birth day gifts ,from family. It wold be nice if you can only gift someone if they have been a friend for a certain amount of time. Thus making it still a possible for gifting, but more challenging for the beggers to get that gift. Or they have your true friend code, which could be exploited because open chat people would still ask. Eh maybe gifting should be removed

Sean Fireblood lvl 70 fire

See you in the spiral!

Geographer
Dec 14, 2009
Shiningfantasia wrote:

I agree with you since KI refuses to do anything about the problem with incessant beggars.

Hero
Jun 08, 2009
Well that's a horrible incident. I agree, begging is out of hand. One day in the Arena someone begged me for a permanent mount. "just a little one i begging you plz" he said, word for word. I did my standard protocol for this: I put him on ignore and changed realms. There have been other incidents like this too. The only way I can see this ending is if everyone uses Ignore button against them.

Mastermind
Jul 25, 2010
tabby714 wrote:
99.99% chance that was a kid you were arguing with, even if it was an adult who cares there bluffing.

Hero
Jul 27, 2009
when they ask or beg for a gift i ask them if they would spend real life money on a thing that is not touchable for a stranger? i usually get a" yes"
then i say go ask your mother or father for the money.
response then is they wont give it to me
then i say why should I?
usual response is cause i asked you for it.
my response: If your mother and father say no.
they why should i go against their wishes and do it?
usually no response but they run away.
if they continue i tell them to go out and get a job or jobs and earn the money them selves so they can buy gift cards...
but i dont wanna spend my money. i am saving it. i say i am saving mine too.\
but some dont learn and some are bellicose and truculent and they need to be reported and either muted for the language or ban for such behavior.
but Mr Lincoln has the last say.

Defender
Feb 12, 2011
Pyrsik wrote:
Shiningfantasia wrote:

I agree with you since KI refuses to do anything about the problem with incessant beggars.

Seriously? KI should get rid of gifting because some people abuse it?

Based on that statement KI should also remove sigils to enter dungeons, right? After all - I get annoyed by muted players who join me when I'm trying to go in alone or text players who just want to be "funny" by joining me at the last second so I can't get back to my firends in the dungeon.

So like banning gifts, please ban entering dungeons - that way we can all be "happy."

Delver
Aug 15, 2009
Yes is ridicules that everywhere I go, always end up with someone asking for gifting.

Is very sad we have to ignore every living thing just to have a good game experience.

Maybe remove gifting from the game will fix that problem, but bullying will always go on and on.

The only thing I can say if they ask for gifting, don't reply. Just move on and play the game.

Survivor
Nov 14, 2010
Shiningfantasia wrote:

NO! I like the gifting option and use it often between my two accounts. I dont mind if they get rid of it for all other accounts but I want to be able to gift between my own accounts. And yes the idiots running around demanding to be gifted is horribly annoying and rude!!!

Explorer
Aug 10, 2009
I'm a kid, k? And I know what ya adults mean. Once my "friend" asked for gifting. I said I have no crowns whatsoever. And he said yes you do. I said no, I really dont. And i really didnt. I had 3. Thats it. Not enought for anything. But anyway, he kept asking and asking and asking some more. I kept sying I cant. For some reason, He deleted me for not using real life money on a game. So, on that day I was offended and sorta happy. Beggers need to get a life. Btw, I really am only a kid :D and these words came from a kid. Cya in the spiral! Nicholas DragonFlame level 70 theurgist

Survivor
Dec 25, 2011
I have friends outside the game and they ahve text chat and there parents get them crowns all the time. I have friends who ask them for packs all the time. My friend (not saying name) found him cursing at him for saying NO to him, he is my friend and in the next month hes was chatless. I don't have text chat but my friend tells me about this all the time then I deleat them from my list and they run off yelling in text chat (I know from my friend) and hes cursing and geting all mad at me just because I was level 35.

Hero
Jun 08, 2009
Daviato wrote:
Yes is ridicules that everywhere I go, always end up with someone asking for gifting.

Is very sad we have to ignore every living thing just to have a good game experience.

Maybe remove gifting from the game will fix that problem, but bullying will always go on and on.

The only thing I can say if they ask for gifting, don't reply. Just move on and play the game.
Well said! Yes, we could get rid of gifting, but then there would still be bullies and Treasure Card beggars, and we would not be able to give friends gifts on holidays or birthdays. Stopping this would be like trying to seal a wall of cracks with one finger.

Survivor
Dec 25, 2011
Why would KI ban sigels (i dont know how to spell it) I know that the hardest boss is in the Waterworks with over 21,000 heath, I know level 60 Wizards going in there and coming out with no treasure cards and no heath. These are some of the dungeons you need help with, same with Zafaria Mirror Lake is almost impossable alone unless you have all rank 7,8 and 9 spells for treasure cards and the max ammount of cards you can have for the highest spell in yuor school.

Geographer
Dec 14, 2009
AmericanHappy wrote:
Seriously? KI should get rid of gifting because some people abuse it?
Based on that statement KI should also remove sigils to enter dungeons, right? After all - I get annoyed by muted players who join me when I'm trying to go in alone or text players who just want to be "funny" by joining me at the last second so I can't get back to my firends in the dungeon.
So like banning gifts, please ban entering dungeons - that way we can all be "happy."

A problem with your example. You are comparing the proverbial apples and oranges. Most of the dungeons you are referring to,are needed to advance further in the game. Gifting is in no way needed to complete the game. The benefits of gifting someone are far-outweighed by the nuisance caused by it.

Historian
May 01, 2010
mariogabriele3 wrote:
Why would KI ban sigels (i dont know how to spell it) I know that the hardest boss is in the Waterworks with over 21,000 heath, I know level 60 Wizards going in there and coming out with no treasure cards and no heath. These are some of the dungeons you need help with, same with Zafaria Mirror Lake is almost impossable alone unless you have all rank 7,8 and 9 spells for treasure cards and the max ammount of cards you can have for the highest spell in yuor school.

Sarcasm to help prove a point...... You think we cant go without sigils, that is what he was trying to accomplish, comparing thatimportance, to what he says gifting's importance is, As Pyrsik was saying (sorry no offense intended, best way I could explain).

Explorer
Jan 17, 2012
The thing we forget is that children can be VERY cruel to each other.

I think Tabby handled it quite well. Some of these kids need to LEARN that that kind of behavior will not be tolerated. We are so afraid of dishing it out to kids who behave like this, because, "Oh, they're just children..." but these children are causing other children to have a horrible experience, and these children need to be told to STOP in no uncertain terms, even if it means hurting their itty bitty feelings, because frankly, they could not care less about anyone else's feelings but their own.

Someone has to teach them otherwise. It might as well be you.

Hero
Jan 24, 2010
MaxDeGroot wrote:
The thing we forget is that children can be VERY cruel to each other.

I think Tabby handled it quite well. Some of these kids need to LEARN that that kind of behavior will not be tolerated. We are so afraid of dishing it out to kids who behave like this, because, "Oh, they're just children..." but these children are causing other children to have a horrible experience, and these children need to be told to STOP in no uncertain terms, even if it means hurting their itty bitty feelings, because frankly, they could not care less about anyone else's feelings but their own.

Someone has to teach them otherwise. It might as well be you.

@Max,

I agree with you. I know that children can be very unkind to one another if left unsupervised. That includes my own children.

Speaking for myself, as an adult wizard, I feel it's my responsibility to model good in-game behavior. Part of that is reporting wizards who refuse to abide by the code of conduct and established community etiquette. I am not shy about stepping into a conversation or argument that is getting out of hand, because bullying and other coercive behavior is unacceptable on my playground When a wizard begs me for a gift, I say "no", and then tell the wizard why I won't gift him or her an item. I try to treat younger wizards the same way I would treat my sons or their guests who visit. I see a lot of kids in and out of my home on a daily basis, and we have strict rules of comportment. It seems to me that the same rules apply when I'm in-game, surrounded by children who are raised with varying degrees of civility and self-respect. LOLZ, I guess I'm a neighborhood mom IRL and in the Great Spiral.

The number of free-to-play wizards who inhabit the Commons and other busy areas are likely the most egregious offenders in terms of begging behavior. It must be frustrating for them to see fancy mounts, outfits, pets, and other gear their member-friends possess. I can see where the impulse to beg comes from, and I doubt it can ever be fully rooted out.

However, there is the choice to enable gifting and chat levels via parental controls in the master account. Perhaps KI could tighten up the sign-up requirements to enforce the set up of parental controls and teach parents how to use them. It's not that difficult:

1) Log in to the master account
2) Log into the parental controls
3) Enable or disable the gifting option

For example, both of my sons have their own wizard subscription accounts. One is limited to menu chat and the other has filtered chat, but neither of them are allowed to gift. Since they know they cannot send and/or receive gifts from other wizards, they don't even bother to ask.

Of course, this partial solution will only work if parents are vigilant about their children's online security. That's the sticky bit. I know too many kids who have willy-nilly access to the interwebs, and their parents haven't a clue what they are seeing, hearing, and doing in cyberspace. Sadly, too many parents are not aware of the necessity to teach their high tech kids how to act in the real world OR in cyberspace.

I wonder if we could have a moderator system similar to the one Club Penguin uses. Members apply to become moderators via a questionnaire that quizzes them on their interpersonal ethics. If a penguin passes the quiz with high ethical standards, s/he is awarded a moderator tool that give him/her special reporting abilities. Moderators also get paid a weekly salary of in-game currency for their services to the community.

I know several parents who chose to:

1) Become moderators and monitor the community while they play with their kids.
2) Teach their kids the rules and etiquette of the community so that THEY can pass the moderator application quiz and become responsible for keeping the game friendly and happy.

I'd love to see this option in the Great Spiral, maybe with some form of leveling up for good work in the community and some small in-game treats for salary.

Anyway, @Tabby,

I'm sorry you were mugged in the Spiral. Please don't think that the majority of wizards are rude and unkind. There are many wizards who are gracious and friendly.

Warmest Regards,

Queenlybluebean/Iridian, Playground Monitor :D

Survivor
Sep 27, 2009
Max, I completely agree with you on what you said.

We shouldn't coddle these people just because they might be children and have them thinking they'll get away with it next time but, at the same time, we shouldn't go to their level via insults like the one Tabby recieved.

Also, Tabby, Im glad you took the mature way in handling the situation from what I read. :) Very wise of you not to fan the flames.

As far as gifting totally removed....While I see the benefit of that to get rid of this problem one way, what about those who gift to good friends in game? Or those who are kind enough to gift for no reason/a specific reason (Perhaps that person was someone who's helped them out multiple times across worlds or helped them with an extremely difficult boss?)

Thats just my two cents though.

Explorer
Jan 17, 2012
Gifting is not the problem. Behavior is the problem. It is, in my opinion, horribly unfair to the vast majority who use gifting for the intent it was made because a few harass other players because of it. Quite likely, those players will simply harass other players over something else if gifting were not available.

I don't expect KI to police every situation of harassment, but if someone ignores someone AND reports them, maybe it should be looked into.

Survivor
Mar 22, 2009
I wish that there was some way to put a Beggers sign over people that want to run up to you and beg for stuff. It really torques me off. I have paid my own way through this game. Why should i give stuff to others that are getting paid for?