Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

losing about 25 rank for a loss in pvp

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Jun 09, 2010
ever lose to a higher level private and rank down 20 rank? i have, recently i fought av storm grand and a myth grand with my level 38 ice captain i won against the myth was then (681) i lost to the grand and lost 24 rank (657) has this ever happened to you?, most likely. i'm talking directly to kingsisle right now, i live for pvp, but its impossible to get even commander with this pvp rank losing and gaining system i mean a grand beats a magus and gets 20 ranking that is an outrage!, this is why i'm thinking about quitting w101, if anyone has any ideas on how not to lose so much rank please say so.

Squire
Jan 05, 2010
The point system is set up to give a challenge to people who choose "the challenge" of fighting with a low level character, more important than that it directly affects match ups in the arena, Let me explain. If you were getting big points at lvl 38 for beating inexperienced grandmasters there would be two effects 1) you would be flying up in rank and fighting lvl 70 privates in just a few days and 2) the grandmaster you beat up new to the arena will become a sub private (under 500) now getting paired with people ten levels lower than you. Now take this scenario and repeat it with 100 like people and what you have is a fragile matching system collapsing. Kingsisle changed the system to reflect your and others cries fir easier rank points at low levels and it did just that... Collapse. My initiate fire went from hovering at 1030 fighting at a manageable fights to fighting nothing but lvl 60 sub privates, some as low as 60 rank. The message boards were flooded with complaints about uneven matching, I and others fought hard to reverse the changes so be careful what you ask for.

*Rank not level is a true reflection of experience in the arena, a lvl 70 can walk in and not have a clue about pvp mechanics, RANK is the only true way to tell how well someone is doing and a fair point system demonstrates that*

You know low level pvp isn't for everyone, point balance can be found fighting at the level cap. I suggest leveling up or focusing on strategy. People make warlord at lvl 1 with no cards gear ect, it's not supposed to be easy.

Now that being said there is an imbalance between high levels with critical fighting low levels without block incorporated in gear, I do believe they should add critical block to arena gear to lvl out the playing field.

Squire
Apr 18, 2010
You dont like fighting people higher lvl??? well then lvl up. its so simple

Champion
Jul 30, 2010
if a higher ranked person looses to a lower ranked one they loose more rank, usually regardless of lvl.

Squire
Mar 07, 2011
Yes, my level 40 ice went from warlord to captain in 4 games, losing 25-32 points per game. There simply is no good way to block critical when you are a mid level wizard. Yes, a sideboard with some Convictions is helpful, but still not reliable enough.

I don't know how to fix this dilemma. I love PvP and can't help but want to play 1v1 PvP as I quest and slowly level up my wizard.

But from what I've read in other posts, KI doesn't really want wizards to be able to succeed at middle levels. I guess they want all participants to be level 70 before really enjoying 1v1 PvP on some kind of equal playing field. Don't get me wrong. Until I started facing wizards who can critical, I had plenty of enjoyable matches, even though getting 0-3 points for a hard won battle is annoying.

The worst is when you spend 40 minutes carefully taking down a wizard 20-25 levels higher than you, and be rewarded with exactly zero points.

P.S. Waiting a short time in line for a match, then leaving, and rejoining to wait a short time, etc, supposedly helps get an equal ranked opponent, but I had 3 matches recently where my warlord wizard was matched up within 3 seconds against a wizard with rating 350 or lower.