Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Is there an experience cap?

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Aug 04, 2011
I was playing in Zafaria the other day and noticed that, when I defeated an enemy, I wasn't getting any experience points! I checked my character's page and under the heading EXPERIENCE it said MAX. Does this mean that I've not only reached the highest level possible, I've also gained as much experience as is allowed? :?

Adherent
May 20, 2010
Currently, the level cap is 70. When you reach that, you won't get any more experience. When another world comes out which raises the level cap to (supposedly) 80, you'll start getting experience again.

Adherent
Mar 18, 2009
Mahnomenite wrote:
I was playing in Zafaria the other day and noticed that, when I defeated an enemy, I wasn't getting any experience points! I checked my character's page and under the heading EXPERIENCE it said MAX. Does this mean that I've not only reached the highest level possible, I've also gained as much experience as is allowed? :?

Yes, the experience cap is level 70. You will no longer accumulate any more experience points from enemies or quests. There are more experience points in the game than there are total to reach the cap.

Survivor
Aug 04, 2011
So is there any point in playing anymore? If I can't accumulate experience points and I can't redo the main quests for Zafaria, should I wait until they come out with a new world?

Geographer
Nov 26, 2011
At the moment, Level 70 is the max level. When you reach that level, No more experience can be earned until the level cap is increased.

Adherent
Mar 18, 2009
Mahnomenite wrote:
So is there any point in playing anymore? If I can't accumulate experience points and I can't redo the main quests for Zafaria, should I wait until they come out with a new world?

If your sole playing purpose is the experience then yes. However, there are plenty of side quests with interesting storylines and good drops out there. Plus, completing all the main quests (even though you aren't getting xp) ensures you are flagged for the world that does introduce the raised level cap. Finally, gardening, crafting, housing, PvP, pet training (with its own xp) and pet hatching offer plenty of alternatives in playing Wizard101.

Survivor
Jul 01, 2011
Saturday morning I made level 70 with my Balance Wizard. I'm curious to know, since I am no longer gaining XP, why should I bother completing anymore quests? Seems kind of moot since some of the quests reward some really high XP that can go towards leveling. Please don't say that the rewards from the drops are substantial and it will put me closer to moving on towards the next world introduced in the future; I can farm areas already done with the same results and I would much rather work on leveling to get to the new world. (Sorry to sound greedy, but I want the whole enchilada for my efforts!)

Now, if those experience points were to rollover when the cap is raised, then I would have no problem with that. In the meantime, I am shelving anymore quests (the majority of ZF and WT) with my newly Transcended wizard.

Fear not, I will still be logging on with her to keep in touch with and help friends, keep up with my gardening, etc. but, I will now have no excuse to not work with my (recently) level 16 Fire Wizard. I haven't played her in so long, I can't even remember what areas I haven't touched other than KT and Crab Alley that are in my Quest Book.

Survivor
Aug 26, 2011
The game gives too much exp to take that approach, even if you don't do any farming. My Death wizard is level 67, and is just about to do Trial of the Spheres. I haven't been farming at all with her, just completeing all quests in the worlds, so really she's got close to bare minimum of exp you can get by completing all quests. She'll prolly hit level 70 in the Savannah, or shortly thereafter. Once she hits Level 70, if was to stop doing quests, I'd have a very long wait to see any new worlds with her -- and this is why.

My Ice Wizard (currently Level 70) was able to do Zafaria shortly after it opened up. He did finish up Wintertusk, and started Zafaria at level 61 or 62, but he still maxed out at level 70 in Stone Town -- which is only about halfway through Zafaria.

Since my Death Wizard is very likey to hit the current level cap very early in Zafaria. If she waits for the next world (and the next level cap) to come out before continuing, she will very likely hit the new lap (most likely level 80) before reaching Mirror Lake, which means she wont be able to play the new world when it comes out, but will have to wait until the next world and the next level cap (more than likely 90) are released.

Bottom line, you're better off if you keep questing, even if you don't get exp any more.

Adherent
Jul 03, 2010
The experience thing will always be an issue, if you hold off on quests here you will level shortly after you are in a new world, if they raise the cap that is. So if you decide not to quest any more and store all these quests for when the cap was raised you will have the same problem again. Once you have brought a wizard though the game it is expected that at some time you will reach Max and the rest of the quests will just not count.

I have run across wizards that do the quests but keep them in their book to hand in when the cap is raised, this is really going to cause problems because they may reach the new cap before they even leave Zafaria that way.