Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Your Social Rules

AuthorMessage
Explorer
Dec 14, 2008
I'm curious as to know what everyone's take on the social rules of the game are...?

For example, I myself believe in the following as the social rules:

1. Do not randomly add anyone above your level; if you need help simply ask them directly (this is beneficial to both parties as one the higher level does not feel so "creeped" upon and the lower level player may attract the attention of others who can help them and are willing to). Also do not repeatedly try to add someone, press the "add friend" button once and wait fifteen seconds. If by then they have not accepted move on with your life.

2. (overruled by rule 5) You are welcome to join in any battle in progress or pull some mobs with a stranger, but there are certain rules implied:
a. do not remove and traps or converters that the original people have placed without permission.
b. if the mob you pulled in blades another mob, traps the stranger, and/or shields a mob and the end resultant is the death of the stranger, you are responsible for their death and should heal them even if it results in your death.
c. and never leave the game unattended at any point of time unless "ok"ed from the other person(s) so that you do not force your share of the burden on them.

3. All chests, materials, and wisps are fair play.

4. Do not ignore simple requests from others such as helping them kill one more mob or giving them advice unless you absolutely cannot spare a second to do so.

5. If you are too low a level to be in a zone (by teleporting to a friend who is currently in the zone) do not join any battles unless your friend directly asks for your help. In that case, follow rule 2. until the battle is ended.

6. If you and another begin questing together, do use the other person to do everything for you and then leave them behind, assist each other with everything.

7. And finally, do not use treasure cards in duels.

Hero
Sep 08, 2008
It is usually an unspoken agreement of all (that are grown up and understand such) about this common etiquette, which should be common etiquette.

However, as long as people here remain to be of the human species, which has yet to evolve and grow up in general, they will never be followed by all players. There will always be some people who simply do not care.

One thing about rule #2, I see nothing wrong utilizing other player's traps in random encounters, if it ends up killing the monster(s). However, in a boss fight, where people generally have fun setting up large attacks and dps'ing away at large amounts of health, that is when I ask.

However, given the sensitivity of the general public concerning their traps, I generally end up asking, especially if it involves a Feint.

Mastermind
Jul 25, 2010
Hero
Jun 08, 2009
My "code of honor" basically states that I don't swear/speak inappropriately, I don't gloat or taunt in a PvP match, and that I remove any friends who break the rules of Wizard101.

Defender
Jun 03, 2009
Here are just a couple more to add but I feel important to game-play and manners in the game First and foremost we all know Please and Thank you are the magic words IN every aspect of life in game and out in real life lets not forget them.
Personally I coinsider begging in the commons or anywhere in game to be Extremly rude and annoying to all I have asked about that. If you do not have crowns do not beg for gifts from strangers would you be allowed to do that in real life? I think not. anyway Thank you for the thread enjoy the game we all love :-)

Archon
Feb 07, 2011
My social rules:

1. Don't add me- I'll add you, if I like you/you are useful.

2. If you join my fight, you are your own responsibility. DO NOT beg me for blades, shields, or healing- a Balance wizard is NOT your one-stop utility shop, so please don't treat me like one, thanks.

3. Don't tell me to "keep passing and let me kill the monsters". The answer to that is NO, and I will probably cast something epic just to annoy you.

4. DO NOT use my traps. If you do this, I'll find out where your feints are... and break every, single one with my Justice Slash; in the event that you did it by mistake, just say you're sorry and don't do it again.

5. My own quests take priority over me helping you. I have no problem coming to the rescue if you are polite and/or have already tried to complete the task yourself... but spam me with requests and I'll let you get defeated, then (if you're a "friend") delete you.

6. You are all my slaves, and will do as I.... *cough cough* I mean, here- have a cookie!

L.S.
Transcended Sorceress

Champion
May 03, 2011
When I first started playing, I had little experience with online games, and thus, no real "rules." I added anyone who asked, came to the rescue of anyone who needed it, and endured "dating" requests with some regularity. I never reported anyone for anything. Now, of necessity, I have rules.

1. If I am available, I will help anyone who asks nicely. If people order me to port somewhere without the requisite politeness, I will ignore them. If they keep doing it, I will delete them.

2. I never have my port on unless I want someone to port to me. Never. Tired of people coming into my battles, running around my houses, and the like.

3. I do not trade treasure cards except by prior arrangement.

4. If I help you in a battle, or through a dungeon, I expect at least a "ty." If, as has happened on several occasions, I help you through, say, the Labyrinth, and you part without saying thanks, I will delete you. (Sigh. this should be obvious--someone gives you an hour of their time, you say thanks.)

5. If you hit on me, I will explain that I am an adult and not interested in virtual romance. At this point, you will probably delete me, and that's fine.

6. Needless to say, I do not gift people stuff on request.

7. I won't add people who are more than 10 levels below me, unless they are already friends with another character, or I know them from somewhere else.

I am not worried about people using my traps and so on. This is a game, and when you play with others you play as a team. I expect, on the other hand, if you ask for my help and I kill the bad guys using Earthquake--knocking off your traps in the process--you will not say "no!" or something similar. If you ask for my help, be aware that I come to play, not to be your audience or your minion.

I am just now starting to PvP, so I expect this list to get longer soon! But for now, that's mostly it.

That said, I find most people to be fairly polite and good sports. Then again, I've weeded my friend list considerably in the last months!

Squire
Apr 11, 2010
If you port to me constantly just to use me as quick access to a different location and just ignore me when I say hi, I will remove you. I am not a Marleybone train car.

Please don't complain to me about another person, bad mouthing them to me. I don't engage in such activities and will not support harassing other players.

Those are really my only rules :/,

Adherent
Mar 18, 2009
I agree with those social rules except items 3 and 7.

3.) I believe wisps should go to the wizard most in need.

7.) Treasures have become an integral part of diversity within spell selection. I would agree that some treasures should be level capped, but overall treasures accomplish what other games consider talent trees or similar concepts designed to keep same school wizards from being forced into using the same strategy continously (which would only be a problem in PvP, not PvE).

Delver
Apr 10, 2010
My rules (and I have many that I probably can't think of) are as follows.

1. I try my best to treat everyone as I want to be treated. No matter what level they are.

2. I don't befriend those who hit me as I go through on my way to the bazaar. Or anywhere. Nor do I trade treasure cards/hatch pets in such a way.

3. Please don't jump into my fights and proceed to tell me how to fight. and don't tell me that "you have the boss". Don't ask/demand I heal you if you jump into my fight either.

4. I don't gift. Period. I don't gift my own son or sister; so why should I gift a stranger in the commons or where ever I may be.

The list goes on, but my memory fails me. lol I'll probably think of more rules in the wee hours of the morning.

Explorer
Dec 14, 2008
kingurz wrote:
I agree with those social rules except items 3 and 7.

3.) I believe wisps should go to the wizard most in need.

7.) Treasures have become an integral part of diversity within spell selection. I would agree that some treasures should be level capped, but overall treasures accomplish what other games consider talent trees or similar concepts designed to keep same school wizards from being forced into using the same strategy continously (which would only be a problem in PvP, not PvE).

I understand the validity of the argument that you present against my rule #3, however I only uphold this idea as it is a waste of time to become overbearingly upset at someone else for taking "your" wisp when neither party is clearly aware of whose need is more dire.

My argument against yours against my rule #7 is simply I am ok with treasure card usage in PvE, but not PvP. The only exception that I think would be ok is if the treasure card was of your school and you are of level to use the regular version (with the exception of reshuffle in which case anyone can use it at any level). So in a way we're half-agreed on #7 but I still maintain that treasure cards generally should not be allowed because the game is already unpredictable and unfair enough. I'd go as far as to say that as much as 30% of the game is nothing but luck on your part and misfortune on the other person(s) part.

Hero
Sep 08, 2008
I agree with the treasure card rule. No treasure cards, except of your own school, or with your own enchantments that you have learned from the astral schools with your talent points.

My reasoning for that is, well, if a certain school PvPs, then that school would only be allowed to use their respective school's spells, and any spells learned with their talent points.

Otherwise, you'll have any random school able to cast Tempest, Sanctuary, Storm Lords, or whatever some of the more popular treasure cards are, such as Ifrit, etc.

Survivor
Dec 18, 2009
Shiningfantasia wrote:
I agree with the treasure card rule. No treasure cards, except of your own school, or with your own enchantments that you have learned from the astral schools with your talent points.

My reasoning for that is, well, if a certain school PvPs, then that school would only be allowed to use their respective school's spells, and any spells learned with their talent points.

Otherwise, you'll have any random school able to cast Tempest, Sanctuary, Storm Lords, or whatever some of the more popular treasure cards are, such as Ifrit, etc.

WHAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1 That is a bunch of baloney (as my teacher would say XD)
Everybody, and I mean EVERYBODY, of every school, is allowed to get treasure cards of other schools that they have nothing to do with....for example: I am fire, my secondary life, and a school bought with training points....

I am allowed to buy storm, myth, death, or any other school treasure cards and use them as I please.

Brianna Wildrider Transcended Pyromancer

Hero
Sep 08, 2008
I suppose anyone could use whatever treasure cards they want. I am in no position to be making PvP rules anyway.

But, I would think that simply defeats the purpose of different schools being different schools. No?

Adherent
Mar 18, 2009
Shiningfantasia wrote:
I suppose anyone could use whatever treasure cards they want. I am in no position to be making PvP rules anyway.

But, I would think that simply defeats the purpose of different schools being different schools. No?

Sorta, but if they removed treasure cards, how would certain classes defeat the high level dungeon? Some of those dungeons almost require certain dispells or other types of spells. So unless you have that exact wizard you can't complete it. And those types of wizards will always get an invite leaving certain other schools with the non-invite. There is the alternative of using item cards instead, but you are likely to sacrifice much in the department of stats.

Defender
Jul 12, 2009
Mine are simple-
Don't you dare ask me to gift you. If I wanted to gift you I would, bit only if you helped me countless times and were always there for me.
Don't ask for cards without a good reason Good reason- mandatory solo battle to get a spell.
Don't take my traps without apologies. Like oops, forgot it was there Then you must feint to repay.
Don't do I got the boss, or blade me, don't hit unless...
a. boss is my school
b. boss hoists to your school
c. you got a new spell and want to try it out
or d. I polymorph into a lander to blade you

If i heal you, I want a thank you.
and never ask me to be your "girl". I don't know who you are, I don't know how old you are, (although probably twelve if you act like that) Its creepy!

Hero
Sep 08, 2008
kingurz wrote:
Shiningfantasia wrote:

Sorta, but if they removed treasure cards, how would certain classes defeat the high level dungeon? Some of those dungeons almost require certain dispells or other types of spells. So unless you have that exact wizard you can't complete it. And those types of wizards will always get an invite leaving certain other schools with the non-invite. There is the alternative of using item cards instead, but you are likely to sacrifice much in the department of stats.

Oh, I was under the impression that this was about treasure cards regarding PvP combat, not the PvE.

Defender
Nov 18, 2011
Adherent
Mar 18, 2009
Shiningfantasia wrote:
kingurz wrote:
Shiningfantasia wrote:

Oh, I was under the impression that this was about treasure cards regarding PvP combat, not the PvE.

The original poster left the comment at "do not use treasure cards in duels." Duels exist in both PvP and PvE, but the original poster also indicated PvE was fine for TC use. So it took a PvP removal only side turn there.