Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Why do People Hate Storm?

AuthorMessage
Explorer
Dec 14, 2008
Opening Statement:
Well it is more of a rhetorical question because I know exactly why; they hate Storm wizards because from their point of view we are capable of large amounts of damage and everyone else isn't. But from a Storm wizard's point of view, our offensive is our only defensive because we have no real defense to be our defense.

Disclaimer:
Though before I fully begin this post, let me say that Storm is capable of the most damage, we can do large amounts of damage in a short period, we can do exponentially larger amounts of damage in a larger period, we can even use rank 5 spells that are more powerful than some rank 7 spells from other schools, so in short we are the most powerful school when looking only at damaging capability.

Logical Argument:
Well yes we would be over powered if that's all there was to the game, capable of dealing large amounts of damage that is, but it is not. Storm wizards have various weaknesses that anyone who knows that up is up and down is down can take advantage of and force our face into the dirt! But because we do such large amounts of damage, many people take that for a reason that we should be capable of nothing. I mean we already have the lowest health, defensive capabilities, defensive stats, offensive stats even! The only thing we have is a high base damage with a few blades and traps.

Glass Cannon Argument:
I myself look at other classes and I wish I chose something else because of how brittle I am. Using terminology from another game, Storm wizards are "glass cannons". It speaks for itself, but to those who don't fully understand it means that we can do a lot of damage, but just tap us and we'll crack and shatter. Many people pick storm as their secondary because of the sheer power compliments their defensive capabilities, but what can a storm pick? We fight for scraps of defensive spells from other schools (such as ice tower, satyr and spirit shield, feint, and etcetera) and by doing so we fortify our glass cannon by making it out of multiple layers, but in the end it is still a glass cannon.

Accuracy Argument:
While Ice enjoys 80% and Death cruising along at 90%, we Diviners are struggling at 70%. Capable of summoning large amounts of damage in a short period isn't easy as people give us credit for, our plans are often thwarted and sometimes with a single fizzle they are thwarted beyond any reparable means. While many other classes can focus on building up their base power, Diviners need to focus on building up their base accuracy because it can and is so critical in a fight that you fizzle as little as possible. Before I started focusing on building up my accuracy, there were no rare instances of me fizzling three or four times in a battle, that is the equivalent of being stunned for three to four turns and as everyone knows can be fatal.

Closing Statement:
Ask any humble Storm wizard you know and they will tell you all that is wrong with their class, all the problems, set backs, obstacles, and challenges they face that no other school really ever faces. Being capable of the most power does come with a steep price in the end, and the way everyone treats your class, it really does seem sometimes that it isn't worth the effort, so I ask of everyone who has prejudice against Storm wizards in the unwritten clause in an invisible doctrine that power=success that they amend their doctrine as to allow for insight on the matter before they began to discriminate against others.

Hero
Jun 08, 2009
Bravo, well said! Excellent job Zezick, hopefully a few of the complainers will read this!

Hero
Sep 08, 2008
I like how your post is written. Well done.

I think it is jealousy. It is absolutely human. If there is a human around, that human is bound to be jealous of *something.*

The incredible amount of damage we can dish out in such an incredibly short amount of time simply brings out the jealousy of others. Or envy. So, for most people, saying that Storm is unfair or this and that, it is a defensive mechanism, to attempt to justify it. Anyway, that is what I think.

On the note of accuracy, at 68, if you were willing to invest in a crown shop item, you would be well rewarded.

Waterworks equipment at 60 = 22% accuracy. 92% Storm accuracy.

Waterworks equipment + Sidhe Staff = 35% accuracy. 105% Storm accuracy. You will never fizzle except with Berserk Kraken. I realize levels 1-68 is a very, very long time. But if one is determined, one will reap the rewards.

Explorer
May 09, 2010
Zezick wrote:
Opening Statement:
Well it is more of a rhetorical question because I know exactly why; they hate Storm wizards because from their point of view we are capable of large amounts of damage and everyone else isn't. But from a Storm wizard's point of view, our offensive is our only defensive because we have no real defense to be our defense.

Disclaimer:
Though before I fully begin this post, let me say that Storm is capable of the most damage, we can do large amounts of damage in a short period, we can do exponentially larger amounts of damage in a larger period, we can even use rank 5 spells that are more powerful than some rank 7 spells from other schools, so in short we are the most powerful school when looking only at damaging capability.

Logical Argument:
Well yes we would be over powered if that's all there was to the game, capable of dealing large amounts of damage that is, but it is not. Storm wizards have various weaknesses that anyone who knows that up is up and down is down can take advantage of and force our face into the dirt! But because we do such large amounts of damage, many people take that for a reason that we should be capable of nothing. I mean we already have the lowest health, defensive capabilities, defensive stats, offensive stats even! The only thing we have is a high base damage with a few blades and traps.

Glass Cannon Argument:
I myself look at other classes and I wish I chose something else because of how brittle I am. Using terminology from another game, Storm wizards are "glass cannons". It speaks for itself, but to those who don't fully understand it means that we can do a lot of damage, but just tap us and we'll crack and shatter. Many people pick storm as their secondary because of the sheer power compliments their defensive capabilities, but what can a storm pick? We fight for scraps of defensive spells from other schools (such as ice tower, satyr and spirit shield, feint, and etcetera) and by doing so we fortify our glass cannon by making it out of multiple layers, but in the end it is still a glass cannon.

Accuracy Argument:
While Ice enjoys 80% and Death cruising along at 90%, we Diviners are struggling at 70%. Capable of summoning large amounts of damage in a short period isn't easy as people give us credit for, our plans are often thwarted and sometimes with a single fizzle they are thwarted beyond any reparable means. While many other classes can focus on building up their base power, Diviners need to focus on building up their base accuracy because it can and is so critical in a fight that you fizzle as little as possible. Before I started focusing on building up my accuracy, there were no rare instances of me fizzling three or four times in a battle, that is the equivalent of being stunned for three to four turns and as everyone knows can be fatal.

Closing Statement:
Ask any humble Storm wizard you know and they will tell you all that is wrong with their class, all the problems, set backs, obstacles, and challenges they face that no other school really ever faces. Being capable of the most power does come with a steep price in the end, and the way everyone treats your class, it really does seem sometimes that it isn't worth the effort, so I ask of everyone who has prejudice against Storm wizards in the unwritten clause in an invisible doctrine that power=success that they amend their doctrine as to allow for insight on the matter before they began to discriminate against others.

Hear hear!

Defender
May 29, 2011
No one hates storm. I know where your getting this from but honestly posting on here wont change anything. Come on here to post issues or ideas not things like this.

Mastermind
Jun 10, 2011
mkt3 wrote:
No one hates storm. I know where your getting this from but honestly posting on here wont change anything. Come on here to post issues or ideas not things like this.

He's allowed to post whatever he wants seeing he has as much rights as you do to the message booards. He was pointing out what storm gets; what storm doesnt get. Everybody complains about storm and he was telling them reasons not to
My conclusion to your comment: Spam

Delver
Aug 10, 2010
I wouldn't say that my friends and I actually HATE storm, but we do snicker sometimes.

Because storm wizards CAN do so much damage, some seem to get the idea that it's their job to invade every duel where they don't think the baddie is being defeated fast enough. Storm wizards need to remember that there are other players in the fight, and they need experience points too.

On the other hand they are so weak health-wise that some will find an unsuspecting life wizard and jump into his/her fight already badly damaged, and demand to be healed RIGHT NOW! I hate to burst your bubble but life wizards were not put in the spiral to be an ER for storm wizards with bad planning.

In other words, there are SOME storm wizards who think that the game revolves around them, and they give others a bad rep. When my friends and I are fighting, if a storm wizard jumps into our fight without asking, we all start imitating Wavebringer (we're all on voice chat) and say "I storm, I fix, I do good", or for us older guys; Mongo, from Blazing Saddles - "Mongo like storm"

Survivor
Dec 11, 2008
Well written sir. It takes a lot to be a Diviner because you must deal with a lot. With power comes responsibility but for a Diviner our power comes with the price of learning how to defend ourselves.

But as Diviners we know A lot about how we can work on our wizards and how we can turn our Spark into Lightning. I love my wizard. And I love anything Storm. Let us Diviners continue in our adventure and hope for the best with new updates that may give us something to be excited about again. :D

Mastermind
Jul 25, 2010
I am not sure why they wont make a storm wizard if they hate getting beaten.

Explorer
Dec 14, 2008
mkt3 wrote:

Go to this one for issues:
https://www.wizard101.com/forums/show/3.ftl
Go to this one for ideas:
https://www.wizard101.com/forums/show/5.ftl
Go to this one to talk about the game in general:
https://www.wizard101.com/forums/show/2.ftl
Go to this one to hear some unnamed people mock storm Wizards https://www.wizard101.com/posts/list/46040.ftl

Hope that helps! :-)

Archon
Feb 07, 2011
I don't hate Storm. To be honest, I love my diviner to pieces- Sestiva is only level 25, but she could probably one-hit Malistaire right now, if she wanted to.

My first character was a sorcerer, so prisms are kind of new to me, as are accuracy boosts and doing that much damage. Right now, Sestiva has a pretty sweet damage boost from gear, plus 6% to her accuracy (she still fizzles A LOT, but I hope it will get better as she levels)- she doesn't need many pips to do a whole lot of damage, but it comes at the expense of two things:

HEALTH:

Sestiva is level 25, with 1014 (or thereabouts) health; Tavia, my Life wiz, is 3 levels lower and has 1300. I've heard about Storm getting ripped off in the health department, and I'm wondering if there are some ways to give Sestiva a boost so she doesn't die in 3.2 seconds when she gets to Marleybone.

RESISTANCE:

The poor girl has none- not even to her own school. In order to increase her accuracy, I've had to pass on minor (fine, kinda important) details like this; again, this is my first time playing a Storm wiz, so those more experienced probably know how to fix this, but I suppose I'll have to find her some new gear the next time I'm in Olde Town.

-

The only time I don't like Storm is when I'm questing with my sorcerer and the diviners start asking me to "keep passing and blade me, I have Storm Lord/Leviathan/insert spell here" (Life and Death wizards are the worst for that, but Storm is up there, too).

It's like, keep asking me and I'll make sure that my Spectral Blast breaks every, single trap you've set preparing for your "epic" spell- you may be stronger, but remember who's got all the buffs.

Survivor
Dec 11, 2008
As a Transcended Diviner I can tell you that your health won't get any better then where it is lol. And as for Schools asking Balance to blade them in my opinion I think it's rude. I think everyone should hit monsters with whatever spell they have or load up on their own blades ( hence why we have our own blades ) and if the other wizards wants to help out in blading then so be it I will also help in ( trying to shield or heal being that I got tower shield and satyr in my deck :p ) I've crossed trained my diviner to learn how to play the role of support while hitting bosses hard. Not an easy task mind you. If I wanted to be mean I could have just crossed train in the Fire school but Life & Ice helps not only my wizard but all other wizards in my party. So I went with what was benifical the most to all of us wizards :p

As far as being hated by other schools? I think we're just misunderstood. Make a Diviner character and you'll see what kind of roughness we deal with day to day learning on how to best build our characters. But again that's with any wizard.

Storm rocks. Being that a Diviner was my first character I am biased towards other schools but it's easy to see that we have a lot of Diviners who are low level - high level in saying storm needs a new nitch that our high base damage is no longer cutting it for us. Maybe they'll have new classes of wizards that we can make or a new spell that helps us tremendiously. I can't wait for future updates :P

Jeffery LionCaller Transcended Diviner

Defender
May 29, 2011
stormschool99 wrote:
mkt3 wrote:

He's allowed to post whatever he wants seeing he has as much rights as you do to the message booards. He was pointing out what storm gets; what storm doesnt get. Everybody complains about storm and he was telling them reasons not to
My conclusion to your comment: Spam

Sorry i "offended" you but i was saying that what bugs me is when people complain about other peoples complaints. I mean, i see how people can dislike storm but no ones "hates storm" Yes there are complaints about storm but its not the only school that gets hated on every once in a while. They have been nerfed before but there are logical reasons for that. People dont hate storm there just doing whats best for the rest of us.

Explorer
Dec 14, 2008
mkt3 wrote:

Sorry i "offended" you but i was saying that what bugs me is when people complain about other peoples complaints. I mean, i see how people can dislike storm but no ones "hates storm" Yes there are complaints about storm but its not the only school that gets hated on every once in a while. They have been nerfed before but there are logical reasons for that. People dont hate storm there just doing whats best for the rest of us.

1. You didn't offend me nor anyone else, you simply need to proof read what you write and make sure you are factually and grammatically correct.
2. It is a common literary strategy to over exaggerate the point at hand as to enunciate the given issue and attract a larger audience.
3. I am not here to discuss why people may or may not dislike other schools of magic, I am here only for the sake of Storm wizards.
4. And the stars are giant apples that glow in the dark. Your claim about all changes to Storm wizards are inaccurate as many changes, if not most, come from players overly complaining about an ability for no other reason than they don't like having to compete with equals. This is shown in spells such as Sirens where not only the damage was reduced but its effect of adding two inaccuracies was halved to one. This is illogical because the only reason it was removed was due to that people kept complaining it was unfair and made Storm wizards a more equal opponent in PvP.
5. "They're just doing what's best for the rest of us." So Storm suffers at the expense of everybody else? Rethink that ideology would you please?