Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

lost power pips

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Mar 16, 2009
Was in Firecat alley battling a fire elf and a magma man teammate cast at magma amn and eliminated it . I had cast a Meteor strike but it never was cast but the power pips disappeared as if I had. Do not know if it also took Mana points

Survivor
Mar 02, 2009
This has been brought up before in this thread: Lost power pips

No one from KI has said anything in regard to it though and i keep looking back to see if they will.

Defender
Dec 31, 2008
Mana points are taken when you select the spell, even if it later fizzles or is not cast, so your mana did go down. When you cast a multi-target spell and the foe you cast it on is killed by another spell before your cast comes, your spell does not get cast but your pips still get consumed. This is a known issue, but I don't know if KI is planning to change it or not.

Survivor
Jul 12, 2008
This happened to me as well! I was rather irrate since I cast a 6 pip spell!I ended up going all the way down to one pip. It did take my mana!

Heather Ravenblood
Level 50 - Death/Life

Survivor
Mar 16, 2009
This has happened 3 more times since i first posted and nothing happens just the power pips disappear. I have had the meteor spell fizzle and when that happens the pips remain. But when the other problem occurs I just get bypassed and the pips go away.

Defender
Feb 18, 2009
I too have had this problem many times, especially since I'm a fire student and like using that meteor strike spell. If it fizzles, the pips stay but the card disappears. If a fellow player kills the initial target then all the pips go down and you get to start all over again to try to build your pips up....isn't that just so very nice of the creators?? It's aggravating and I have lost many battles over it.

I too hope this FLAW is changed VERY soon.

Hunter SilverHeart

Explorer
Feb 14, 2009
I got the feeling that this was by design to force players to watch what their teammates were casting and on what as an added level of complexity to the game.

Survivor
Mar 28, 2009
Yeah nothing worse than a teammate who blindly casts stuff. You can also change your selection after you already picked a spell if you notice them targeting the mob with something that would kill them.

Explorer
Feb 07, 2009
BlindingShade wrote:
I got the feeling that this was by design to force players to watch what their teammates were casting and on what as an added level of complexity to the game.

I think it was just a mistake.

I hope they fix it.

Explorer
Mar 03, 2009
I had this happen a few times early on with my necromancer, but if you watch what other people are casting, it's easily avoidable. If you go after another person, you should ALWAYS keep an eye on their spell before you select yours. Not only does it help avoid the problem, but it can also help with strategy.

Explorer
Feb 14, 2009
ShadowTwisted wrote:
I had this happen a few times early on with my necromancer, but if you watch what other people are casting, it's easily avoidable. If you go after another person, you should ALWAYS keep an eye on their spell before you select yours. Not only does it help avoid the problem, but it can also help with strategy.

I try to use a general rule of waiting for the players to choose their spells in order of turns. If I am first up then I should be choosing my targets first and so on.

Explorer
Feb 07, 2009
Waiting for others to cast first is a good defense against this flaw, unless the others are waiting to see as well. :)

Spells can be cast because pips power them in the game universe. If the spell is not cast, the pips should not be consumed. It is a bug in the game and should be fixed.

Explorer
Feb 14, 2009
It looks like it has been changed/corrected!

I confirmed last night that when I attacked and killed 2 of 3 monsters my Wife's character (who was targeting one of the now dead ones) did not loose any pips because the target was already gone. She got to kill the last one though.

Maybe there should be an animation or sound when this happens such as the character gets annoyed and stomps her feet saying "humph" under her breath.

Defender
Jan 07, 2009
BlindingShade wrote:

I confirmed last night that when I attacked and killed 2 of 3 monsters my Wife's character (who was targeting one of the now dead ones) did not loose any pips because the target was already gone. She got to kill the last one though.

Maybe there should be an animation or sound when this happens such as the character gets annoyed and stomps her feet saying "humph" under her breath.

it was a fluke, I had it happen to me today, lost all my pips but never casted a spell.

it has NOT been fixed or corrected, still acting the same way it always has.

Explorer
Feb 14, 2009
Whiterose2 wrote:
BlindingShade wrote:

it was a fluke, I had it happen to me today, lost all my pips but never casted a spell.

it has NOT been fixed or corrected, still acting the same way it always has.

It does seem to be happening sometimes and not other times since I posted the original quote. As of a few nights ago I was in 2v2 PvP with my wife and she went first killing an opponent. I had also targeted the same guy to make sure that if either of us hit him he would die that round. She hit him first and he died. My character then appeared to "pass" and did not loose the 3 of 4 power pips I would have case with my selected spell.

There may be a difference in behavior between PvE and PvP. Can any of the Devs. comment on this behavior and clear it up once and for all please?