Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Have you experience this?

AuthorMessage
Explorer
May 09, 2010
In PVP, in an even match- meaning same level, almost same gear. If you are the "second turn team", there is a high possibility of loosing the match. Is there a way around this?

Geographer
Aug 28, 2010
dharpoon wrote:
In PVP, in an even match- meaning same level, almost same gear. If you are the "second turn team", there is a high possibility of loosing the match. Is there a way around this?

dharpoon,

Here's my thought on the first turn advantage.
If both wizards have the same knowledge, gear pack, decks are about the same, and have the same basic stratergy, the person that goes first will always win.
I remember reading over on central (back when I was a member), that some of the Wizards couldn't remember the last time they lost when going first. This in itself says alot, they can't even remember losing once, when they went first.
Now, having said that, I have won many times going second, but it usually because the person going first had a bad strategy, couldn't get the cards when they needed, or it was uneven in the gear setup.

I will say, that when I go second, and I'm playing against a good player, I often lose. Which makes sense, as I am blind to what the other player is casting, but he/she can always see what I have just casted. The only way I can win is to guess at what the other player is going to do, and try to counter it. That's not easy, as you never really know what cards they have in their hand.
It will be interesting to see what other players have to say on this.

Joe.
Joseph LionHunter.

Explorer
Oct 11, 2008
Unfortunately, the only way around it is to predict what move your opponent will make. I know, it can be frustrating when your opponent takes advantage of the first turn and shields quickly, right before you attack as well as other things. But sometimes It doesn't matter. It really depends on what your opponent is like.

Squire
Jan 05, 2010
Fun little fact: your minion can only heal you back to life after you die when going second. I've lost a match close match in a situation like this, from a hidden advantage.

Successfully getting the upper hand from second slot is all about predicting the next move, switching gears from an aggressive style to a more defensive position and patience. You have to wait for an opening and rip it up. I usually wait for my opponent to shield and shield anticipating my attack till their deck gets defensively thin, start pecking off their shields and break then apart with a combo.

You have to understand the different schools at specific levels and learn how they build hits. Ex: ice has low attacks, has to blade up and more than likely uses a support summon ice minion at low and mid levels, just a quick example. Understanding your opponents school is key to developing your specific approach and or defensive build.

Explorer
May 09, 2010
I personally hate it when people dispel or stun me, when I am second turn team. Maybe they can add a new play in pvp especially in 4v4. like alternating. 1st guy from group one, then the first guy from group two, then the second guy from group one, so on and so forth.

Defender
May 29, 2011
dharpoon wrote:
I personally hate it when people dispel or stun me, when I am second turn team. Maybe they can add a new play in pvp especially in 4v4. like alternating. 1st guy from group one, then the first guy from group two, then the second guy from group one, so on and so forth.

I really like that idea, may be we can do same thing in 2v2 and 3v3

Explorer
May 09, 2010
mkt3 wrote:
dharpoon wrote:

I really like that idea, may be we can do same thing in 2v2 and 3v3

Thanks