Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

KSing in low-level areas=not cool.

AuthorMessage
Defender
Oct 15, 2009
queenlybluebean wrote:
If you don't play well with others, Wizard 101 is likely not the ideal game for you. It is an MMORPG, a social environment. Did you notice that there are always 4 spots in the battle sigil? Ever wonder why?

Man, all these "I wanna play alone!" posts are making me grumpy.

Qbb

Um. . . what is the "please may i join this duel" chat phrase all about then? why was it added?

Adherent
Mar 18, 2009
Temperest wrote:
queenlybluebean wrote:
If you don't play well with others, Wizard 101 is likely not the ideal game for you. It is an MMORPG, a social environment. Did you notice that there are always 4 spots in the battle sigil? Ever wonder why?

Qbb

Um. . . what is the "please may i join this duel" chat phrase all about then? why was it added?

Because the polite players wanted a way for menu chatters to ask to join duels. However, that still doesn't disolve the fact that this game is designed for players to group up. If KI didn't want others to join the battle, they would have made their game just like most of the other MMOs out there, where your duel is "locked" with the enemy after you engage them to prevent kill stealing and enemy contesting.

No one is saying you can't play the game solo (I've done it many times myself), but this game was clearly intended for social grouping given the fact it wasn't designed as a 1 player game for the Wii, PS3, Xbox 360 or sold on the shelves as a 1 Player PC game.

Hero
Jan 24, 2010
kingurz wrote:
Temperest wrote:
queenlybluebean wrote:

Qbb

Because the polite players wanted a way for menu chatters to ask to join duels. However, that still doesn't disolve the fact that this game is designed for players to group up. If KI didn't want others to join the battle, they would have made their game just like most of the other MMOs out there, where your duel is "locked" with the enemy after you engage them to prevent kill stealing and enemy contesting.

No one is saying you can't play the game solo (I've done it many times myself), but this game was clearly intended for social grouping given the fact it wasn't designed as a 1 player game for the Wii, PS3, Xbox 360 or sold on the shelves as a 1 Player PC game.

Agreed, @kingurz.

I, too, often prefer to solo, so I play on perfect realms at odd times of the day or night to get some quiet space. However, I also understand that others are playing Wizard for the same pleasure and relaxation I receive, and I don't harsh their mellows by being rude when I get an unexpected battle companion. Heck, even when I'm close to finishing a battle, I still try to enjoy the extra bit of challenge of revving back up to take on another monster. It's just extra practice :)

Honestly, it seems more stressful to get upset over someone joining my battle than to say "hi" and carry on. I've met some great friends that way.

Hope to see you in Unicorn Way!

Noobishly yours,

Queenlybluebean
Iridian Shadowweaver, Transcended Theurgist
Scarlet Ravensong, Transcended Pyromancer

Explorer
Feb 25, 2010
No, you don't earn as much experience if others join your duels or you use a minion because the duel is usually over faster and experience depends on the spells that you cast and the rank of those spells.

But for the purposes of completing quests by defeating a certain number of creatures or collecting items from those creatures it really doesn't matter who casts the killing blow, all get equal credit. I used to get annoyed with my husband because even though he stood in the number 2 spot and I would generally finish the fight he would still get cooler drops.

Explorer
Sep 17, 2008
Kill stealing can and does happen, though the loss due to the theft is relatively minimal. As I've observed, the experience that you gain from a battle is relative to the number of pips that you use + a base experience rate for killing a monster. Obviously, this means that someone else can join your duel, kill the monster (which messes with the base experience rate for killing the monster), and lower the overall amount of pips that you get to spend defeating your foe and winning the engagement single-handedly.

If you're doing a quest that involves killing a certain number of monsters for the kill itself or for a quest item that the monster has, then kill stealing does not have any effect and you will still receive your quest item and/or kill quota.

This is based on my observation.

Kill a dark fairy with a humongofrog (4 pips) and then kill another dark fairy with a living puppet (0 pips) and you will see what I mean. Kill the fairy with the living puppet first, count how many rounds it takes him to win, then kill another fairy with a humongofrog after passing your turn as many rounds as it took your living puppet to defeat the foe previously. I'm not terribly intelligent or prideful, but this method seems fairly conclusive.

The original poster was venting, I think. She was upset, she ranted. Whether or not I'm right about the math on kill stealing, those of you that mistreated her for getting frustrated were clearly wrong. That isn't cool. And what is "qbb"? Is that "Quit being a baby"? Really, name calling via acronyms? I'm pretty sure that sort of thing isn't in keeping with the spirit that KI tries to foster in their game and on their forums and I think, though you're not technically breaking any rules, you should try and be a bit more compassionate towards your fellow wizards.

Explorer
Sep 17, 2008
I tried to figure out what "QBB" could mean and it suddenly dawned on me: queenlybluebean. That's it, right? If so, my mistake and I apologize.

But still, I hold fast to my thoughts about compassion towards each other - we all get frustrated once in a while, don't we?

Hero
Jun 08, 2009
angelmage wrote:
Kill stealing can and does happen, though the loss due to the theft is relatively minimal. As I've observed, the experience that you gain from a battle is relative to the number of pips that you use + a base experience rate for killing a monster. Obviously, this means that someone else can join your duel, kill the monster (which messes with the base experience rate for killing the monster), and lower the overall amount of pips that you get to spend defeating your foe and winning the engagement single-handedly.

If you're doing a quest that involves killing a certain number of monsters for the kill itself or for a quest item that the monster has, then kill stealing does not have any effect and you will still receive your quest item and/or kill quota.

This is based on my observation.

Kill a dark fairy with a humongofrog (4 pips) and then kill another dark fairy with a living puppet (0 pips) and you will see what I mean. Kill the fairy with the living puppet first, count how many rounds it takes him to win, then kill another fairy with a humongofrog after passing your turn as many rounds as it took your living puppet to defeat the foe previously. I'm not terribly intelligent or prideful, but this method seems fairly conclusive.

The original poster was venting, I think. She was upset, she ranted.
This is all very interesting. True, a kill can be "stolen" but to no affect. I believe that what the original poster was saying, however, that it was affecting her quest, which would be impossible.

Explorer
Jan 06, 2009
Angelmage, the devs included far more XP than is necessary to level. There's no need to rely on battle XP to level unless you are F2P. I think most of us reach max XP (I know I have) before we even finish the quests. I've lost a lot of XP just finishing Celestia or Zafaria so I can run the final dungeon or whatever perk you get for finishing a world.

To the OP: there is no kill-stealing in W101. Everyone present in a round gets credit for the battle whether you do anything or not. As for the Fairies, the only quest I can think of is collecting fairy dust for the main storyline. There is a side quest that asks you to defeat fairies, but isn't offered until after you finish WC. The fairy dut quest is based on luck. You either collect it or you don't. But you don't have to defeat anything to get them.

Hero
Jan 24, 2010
angelmage wrote:
I tried to figure out what "QBB" could mean and it suddenly dawned on me: queenlybluebean. That's it, right? If so, my mistake and I apologize.

But still, I hold fast to my thoughts about compassion towards each other - we all get frustrated once in a while, don't we?

Erm, thanks.

I think if you will review some of my 450'ish posts, you will see a great deal of compassion mixed with a dash of sarcasm

I also stand by my thoughts regarding grousing about solo play in Wizard 101. It's silly and futile.

Warmest Regards,

Queenlybluebean