Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Reporting for safety or for your own needs?

AuthorMessage
Mastermind
Jul 25, 2010
It has come to a point that i had to post this message, people are reporting each other left and right, and i don't think they do it for the safety of the game. I think they do it because they know a certain amount of reports can get someone banned or muted, it angers me most that people take advantage of the reporting button because of there own selfish needs of banning other people. Am i the only one who seems most offended?.

Administrator
It may come as a surprise to them too that false reporting can result in sanctions against their accounts.

As we've said again and again, when you report someone, or you are reported, a message is sent directly to Mr Lincoln that includes the chat logs of everything that was said before and after that report.

Mr Lincoln then reads the log and assesses the situation. He determines how bad the offense was, looks up prior offenses for the reported individual, and based on that assessment he issues sanctions (such as muting or banning) and sends an email to the offending account explaining the violation and the sanctions.

If the report was falsely made, that is determined as well, and the player who made the false report is investigated as to whether or not they have made previous false reports. False reports are just as egregious as valid ones, and similar sanctions can be levied against repeat offenders of false reporting.

Everything that a player enters into the chat window is logged. These larger chat logs are also routinely checked for those infractions that are not reported.

community@wizard101.com
Defender
Feb 12, 2011
I've been reported at least twice with no bad results.

Once was because another person wanted to go on a sigil with a group that I was a part of and they were upset that I wouldn't give up my spot.

Another was because I was on the same mission as they were and they did not want me joining the boss battle.

At the end of the day I think KI does a great job of weeding out those reports that are legitimate and those that are just players that are frustrated and simply want to vent.

I have also reported players - all for swearing by getting around the chat filters or using racist or sexually explicit language. At the end of the day this is a game for families - there are plenty of games out there when you can go and do whatever you want - no need to come to Wizard101 and do it here.

Anyway - my point to all this is that you should relax. You don't work at KI so it's not your job to get upset about reporting. If you are falsely reported just ignore it and move on - don't report them back - that just wastes KI's time.

And if you see swearing, sex chat, and racist text - please do report them - this game would be better off without those kinds of players.

Archon
Oct 24, 2010
AmericanHappy wrote:
I've been reported at least twice with no bad results.

Once was because another person wanted to go on a sigil with a group that I was a part of and they were upset that I wouldn't give up my spot.

Another was because I was on the same mission as they were and they did not want me joining the boss battle.

At the end of the day I think KI does a great job of weeding out those reports that are legitimate and those that are just players that are frustrated and simply want to vent.

I have also reported players - all for swearing by getting around the chat filters or using racist or sexually explicit language. At the end of the day this is a game for families - there are plenty of games out there when you can go and do whatever you want - no need to come to Wizard101 and do it here.

Anyway - my point to all this is that you should relax. You don't work at KI so it's not your job to get upset about reporting. If you are falsely reported just ignore it and move on - don't report them back - that just wastes KI's time.

And if you see swearing, sex chat, and racist text - please do report them - this game would be better off without those kinds of players.

Well said! *applauds*

Archon
Feb 07, 2011
AmericanHappy wrote:
I have also reported players - all for swearing by getting around the chat filters or using racist or sexually explicit language. At the end of the day this is a game for families - there are plenty of games out there when you can go and do whatever you want - no need to come to Wizard101 and do it here...

Sound advice. When my low-level characters are running around in the Commons, I often catch people swearing around the filter... and I use my report button freely.

One time, I was questing with my baby Death wiz when I ran across a particularly foul-mouthed group of kids in front of the Headmaster's Tower. By this point, a crowd had gathered- I suggested that they tone it down, but one kid laughed at me and said, "we'll just port away"... As soon as he ported, I pulled up my chat log and reported EVERY, SINGLE ONE of them.

This game is supposed to be fun and safe for EVERYONE; we should all be responsible and keep our game clean.

L.S.
Transcended Sorceress

A+ Student
Mar 02, 2010
Professor Greyrose wrote:
It may come as a surprise to them too that false reporting can result in sanctions against their accounts.

As we've said again and again, when you report someone, or you are reported, a message is sent directly to Mr Lincoln that includes the chat logs of everything that was said before and after that report.

Mr Lincoln then reads the log and assesses the situation. He determines how bad the offense was, looks up prior offenses for the reported individual, and based on that assessment he issues sanctions (such as muting or banning) and sends an email to the offending account explaining the violation and the sanctions.

If the report was falsely made, that is determined as well, and the player who made the false report is investigated as to whether or not they have made previous false reports. False reports are just as egregious as valid ones, and similar sanctions can be levied against repeat offenders of false reporting.

Everything that a player enters into the chat window is logged. These larger chat logs are also routinely checked for those infractions that are not reported.

What happens if you report someone for spamming in pvp? I have been reported for spamming Smoke Screen in ranked 3v3's and 2v2's.

Delver
Apr 12, 2011
reporting has gotten out of hand someone has reported me for winning a pvp match against their friend on my death wiz someone reported me for using a beguile and they killed their teammates people report me for random things i move on about sometimes idk why i am reported but since i did nothing wrong or a mutable or bannable offense i dont worry about it i could get reported 12 times in a row but if i did nothing i dont worry

but people do abuse the report feature that keeps this game kid friendly

Archon
Feb 07, 2011
joujou11cool wrote:
What happens if you report someone for spamming in pvp? I have been reported for spamming Smoke Screen in ranked 3v3's and 2v2's.

I've had Smokescreen spammed at me during a battle- like chain-stunning, it's frustrating and not very nice... but not reportable. If someone threatened to report me for spamming dispels or casting Judge every other turn (I'm a Balance wiz), I'd laugh in his/her face and keep right on doing it.

In a similar vein, some kid in the Commons once asked me if I "needed a boy"; I told him no, because I'm married and an adult, and he threatened to report me.

As Professor Greyrose already mentioned, false reports are not allowed and *will* result in action being taken against people who do it, especially if someone is a repeat offender.

The best part about online games is the Ignore feature- I love it, and use it liberally. :)

Defender
Feb 12, 2011
joujou11cool wrote:

If I might respond - I don't believe anything will happen to you at all.

Let me ask you this - you have the spells available to you, why would you not cast them? I'm storm, if I join a pvp match with three other storms, you can bet the very first thing all of us will do is cast tempest.

The only rule in the fight is to win - using the tools that KI have provided you with may not let the other player feeling great because they lost, but why on earth would you be punished for using the spells that you have?

Relax! Enjoy the game and remember, if I meet you in the game in a pvp match, my water works gear, rings, wand, and other accuracy buffs will ensure that you could smoke screen me all day long with few negative results :)

Mastermind
May 02, 2009
vonawesome1 wrote:
joujou11cool wrote:

I've had Smokescreen spammed at me during a battle- like chain-stunning, it's frustrating and not very nice... but not reportable. If someone threatened to report me for spamming dispels or casting Judge every other turn (I'm a Balance wiz), I'd laugh in his/her face and keep right on doing it.

In a similar vein, some kid in the Commons once asked me if I "needed a boy"; I told him no, because I'm married and an adult, and he threatened to report me.

As Professor Greyrose already mentioned, false reports are not allowed and *will* result in action being taken against people who do it, especially if someone is a repeat offender.

The best part about online games is the Ignore feature- I love it, and use it liberally. :)
how do you know if you've reported(and how can you judgement every other turn(i have a low lvl balnce wizard that never use)

Survivor
Nov 07, 2010

No offense or nothing but the commons needs a more closer eye kept on it. Cause I see people in there all the time, differently at night when I play, being rude to other people and finding ways to go around your chat block of bad words.

Archon
Feb 07, 2011
darkjohns wrote:
how do you know if you've reported(and how can you judgement every other turn(i have a low lvl balnce wizard that never use)

Hi!

First of all, I don't think it's possible to know if you've been reported- you (or your parents) would only receive an email notification if said report was legit and resulted in a warning or mute/ban (we'll have to ask Prof. Greyrose about that, just to be sure).

As for #2, you *can* use Judge every other turn. My Balance wizard is level 70- she gets a 55% damage boost from gear and a 95% power pip chance. It won't be as effective as a full-pip one, but can still do 1000 damage every 3 turns (more with critical and/or buffs) at the higher levels.

PS: show your sorcerer some love and get leveling! :P

L.S.
Transcended Sorceress

Survivor
Dec 30, 2009
in my opinion, those who swear around the filters should have their text chat taken away from them for a certain amount of time which will increase with every report they have. Several problems with swearing around the filters that i have found include the words "she it", meaning the 's' word. Then, when kingsisle banned this combination, i simply came across people saying "she a it" meaning the same thing but with an 'a' inbetween to get around the filter, i believe that the more you swear around the filter, the longer you should get banned for, and after a certain number of these "warnings", you should be kicked off the game completely. THat is just my opinion.

Administrator
We already do this, in fact we do it early and often. Taking away a player's text chat is our first step in sanctioning a player.

We also can and do remove the ability to report others, for those who abuse the system.

AlienMutant1 wrote:
in my opinion, those who swear around the filters should have their text chat taken away from them for a certain amount of time which will increase with every report they have. Several problems with swearing around the filters that i have found include the words "she it", meaning the 's' word. Then, when kingsisle banned this combination, i simply came across people saying "she a it" meaning the same thing but with an 'a' inbetween to get around the filter, i believe that the more you swear around the filter, the longer you should get banned for, and after a certain number of these "warnings", you should be kicked off the game completely. THat is just my opinion.

community@wizard101.com
Mastermind
May 02, 2009
We already do this, in fact we do it early and often. Taking away a player's text chat is our first step in sanctioning a player.

We also can and do remove the ability to report others, for those who abuse the system.

can you muted if their is no one else is around to heir you?

Administrator
darkjohns wrote:
can you muted if their is no one else is around to heir you?

Yes. Everything that a player enters into the chat window is logged. These larger chat logs are also routinely checked for those infractions that are not reported.

community@wizard101.com
Armiger
Feb 25, 2009
vonawesome1 wrote:
darkjohns wrote:

Hi!

First of all, I don't think it's possible to know if you've been reported- you (or your parents) would only receive an email notification if said report was legit and resulted in a warning or mute/ban (we'll have to ask Prof. Greyrose about that, just to be sure).

As for #2, you *can* use Judge every other turn. My Balance wizard is level 70- she gets a 55% damage boost from gear and a 95% power pip chance. It won't be as effective as a full-pip one, but can still do 1000 damage every 3 turns (more with critical and/or buffs) at the higher levels.

PS: show your sorcerer some love and get leveling! :P

L.S.
Transcended Sorceress

I have been notified in game when I was reported for reporting another player for swearing at a young player. My guess is that the person, I reported was an adult as I am. I had asked her to stop a couple of times before reporting her, and she chose to turn on me instead. I don't approve of swearing in real life and that is one of the reasons I like playing this game. There are steps to take care of it. I don't know if being an adult has anything to do with being notified in game or if KI even still does this.

Although the commons in Wizard City is one of the worst places to find swearing and bullying, there are other areas such as the Pet Pavilion, Old Town, and rarely the commons of other worlds.