Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Will be ending membership and game soon!

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Aug 09, 2009
For starters I am extremely dissappointed in this game. I have played many multi-media online games and have found this one to be less then average. In less then 2 months and a lot of money I have taken a character from level 1 to a level 64 Thaumaturge, only to realize that it is pointless. I have discovered that once you get past say level 50....ready for this....EVERY DUNGEON AND EVERY BOSS CHEATS. I mean I understand that cheating bosses in a game are a necessary feature to some degree. However, my problem lies in the amount of cheating that goes on in this game. The bosses in this game will cheat on every turn, not just once or twice during a dual as is with most every other epic tale online game. Everything from random pip increases to literally skipping my turn 3 times in consecutive order, and having the boss hit you 6 times in those three turns. Really software engineers and developers, can we not find a happy medium. Is it just too difficult for you folks to figure out how to make the game extremely difficult without resorting to the ultra high level of cheating that you have programmed into the game. In closing, I would like to say it is very disheartening when you have invested any amount of time and any amount of money on a game only to realize after several months of playing that you have been had. I really enjoyed palying for the first 50 levels but i just am really turned off by the amount of cheating in the higher levels. I have played other games and never have I seen this level of cheating.

Defender
Feb 12, 2011
It's interesting to see your position - and you are entitled to it!

Most of the posts on here seem to indicate that the majority would rather have tougher boss battles and quests as we progress through the game.

Anyway - hope you enjoy the rest of your membership and if I may suggest it, perhaps you might consider tackling those quests that are too difficult alone, with some other players?

Adherent
Mar 18, 2009
Many other games have "cheating" bosses, but they call them "raid enchancements" instead.

Wizard101 is not for everyone.

I hear WoW is getting even easier these days.....might be an alternative.

Armiger
May 10, 2010
Okay, first of all, don't over exaggerate!

Every dungeon does not have a cheating boss.

Cheating bosses actually don't even begin until Wysteria, and they are very brief there. Then you don't see them again until Wintertusk or Celestia.

If you find these battles too difficult, this is a Multiplayer game, which I hope you have noticed, so get some people together, not everything has to be done alone.

A+ Student
Mar 02, 2010
Not every boss cheats, only in the important side dungeons is where you'll see the most cheating.

Hero
Jun 08, 2009
pearson03 wrote:
For starters I am extremely dissappointed in this game. I have played many multi-media online games and have found this one to be less then average. In less then 2 months and a lot of money I have taken a character from level 1 to a level 64 Thaumaturge, only to realize that it is pointless. I have discovered that once you get past say level 50....ready for this....EVERY DUNGEON AND EVERY BOSS CHEATS. I mean I understand that cheating bosses in a game are a necessary feature to some degree. However, my problem lies in the amount of cheating that goes on in this game. The bosses in this game will cheat on every turn, not just once or twice during a dual as is with most every other epic tale online game. Everything from random pip increases to literally skipping my turn 3 times in consecutive order, and having the boss hit you 6 times in those three turns. Really software engineers and developers, can we not find a happy medium. Is it just too difficult for you folks to figure out how to make the game extremely difficult without resorting to the ultra high level of cheating that you have programmed into the game. In closing, I would like to say it is very disheartening when you have invested any amount of time and any amount of money on a game only to realize after several months of playing that you have been had. I really enjoyed palying for the first 50 levels but i just am really turned off by the amount of cheating in the higher levels. I have played other games and never have I seen this level of cheating.
The game is designed to increase in difficulty as time goes on, as are most games. Thus the cheating bosses. When players get more powerful spells, it becomes easier just to blade, trap, and one-shot-kill a boss that should have been deadly. The only way to make it more challenging is to restrict the spells the players can use, and when they can use them. If PvE, isn't your thing, feel free to sample PvP before you leave, it's what keeps that level-capped players going for the most part! But, it's not my place to change your mind, nor is it anyones.

Good luck in your future gaming endeavours,

Paul Stormglade, Transcended Diviner

Go Sparks!

Mastermind
Jun 23, 2010
joujou11cool wrote:
Not every boss cheats, only in the important side dungeons is where you'll see the most cheating.

In Zafaria main quests have boss cheats too.

My objection to them is the total utter lack of menu chat options to explain cheats. I see post after post on Central where people will not do dungeons that have cheats with menu chatters. This is horribly unfair and wrong. (I rarely if ever say something is unfair. I realize life is not fair.) I have trouble understanding why cheats were introduced, but, KI did not add phrases in Menu Chat to deal with them at the same time. Not all people pick up on the visual clues.

Also there seems to be an assumption everyone goes to or should go to fan sites and forums. Well not everyone does or wants too. I am dismayed at how many of my friends are leaving the game. They are expressing their has been a huge change in game dynamics. It has gone from fun and enjoyable to a second stress filled job. They dislike having to "study up" on cheaters. They say the first arc they could come play and socialize and have fun. Yes, I know nobody is forced to progress but, that attitude and statement is rather silly. Who starts a game and does not want to finish it? I certainly don't know anyone like that.

Megan

Hero
Jun 11, 2010
Yow! You got that far in two months! I've been playing for two whole years and my main character is only in MooShu!!!! (man I wish there were more emotes for surprised)

My only advise is that the Wizard 101 wiki has information on how all bosses cheat, but other than that, you're going to have to team up with someone who knows how the boss cheats ( Gasp!!! ). Man, I feel like I'm in school. In my class, everytime the teacher says something obvious, everyone will gasp dramatically and go "I never would have guessed!" or "Wow! That's amazing!!" or something along those lines.

Champion
May 03, 2011
It is certainly an exaggeration to say that every boss over level 50 or so cheats. In the main questline (excluding optional towers such as Briskbreeze, Waterworks, etc.), cheating begins with the Trial of the Spheres, the final Celestia dungeon. This is pretty late in the game--you are usually past level 60 when you get to this. Zafaria does have more cheating bosses. Fortunately, KI made some changes so that now you can use minions in these dungeons--except for Belloq, and in that one you can get any low-level person with a bunch of 1-2 pip spells to help you.

But on the larger subject of cheating dungeons, I have to say it's not my favorite part of the game. I have two wizards with the Mirror Lake quest, and probably won't do it for awhile because, well, cheating dungeons just aren't fun. They're stressful and annoying. They require research. And you can't do them with menu chat people, which I think is unfair to those kids. And even if the menu chatters know the cheat, there's no way they can tell you, so it's too risky to try.

I have no idea why KI doesn't address this problem. It's really become an ethical issue, in my opinion.

But why cheating? I think there are limited ways to make turn-based battle games more challenging at higher levels. You can increase hit points exponentially, or you can create strategic challenges, e.g., cheating. I am not a game expert, so maybe there are other options...but I can't think of any offhand.

I understand your frustration. I find that the other aspects of the game--housing, pets, crafting--are more fun for me just now. Mirror Lake can wait. And to be honest, the thought of a level 70+ world with even more cheating isn't something I look forward to...

Armiger
Feb 25, 2009
WOW!!!

You need to slow down and smell the roses so to speak.....

I have been playing for almost 3 years and have 7 wizards between 2 accounts......... My highest wizard is level 67, but I chose not to stack my wizards so I always have one or two running.

Not every boss or dungeon cheats, BUT, I do think it imitates some of the things that go on in the real world. You just have to figure out how to beat it and not get into "Trouble" lol.

As for skipping your turn for 3 rounds, sometimes that depends on what you do. Some spells will trigger that kind of response from the boss. Go to Wizard101 Central and search the guides on the boss you are getting ready to battle. Those guides can be very useful for all kinds of info.

Explorer
May 25, 2009
This isnt exactly a problem, its a OPINION. I wouldnt show that you "hate" or dislike this game, just quit and dont come back. This is a kids game, remember that. We all don't need dislikers clogging up the toilet here :? , no meaning to be mean, but, people have opinions, just quit. And about cheating bosses, you need to know what they do for their cheats and other things by going to Wizard Central, slow down here! You can have help. This isn't a solo game. Just quit if you dont like it, nothing else. Its THAT simple.

Again, no meanings to hurt feelings here or be mean.

Taylor Daisystone
Legendary Pyromancer

Defender
Apr 27, 2009
Survivor
Jul 11, 2011
I've found maybe 2 or 3 bosses in celestia and zafaria actually cheat every turn. What's going on is that your just activating the trigger. All bosses have an out for their cheats, such as the lvl 58 spell quest bosses only cheat if you use traps or blades. Some bosses will attack you if you use certain types of spells on them, like spells that attack all enemies, or spells that only attack the boss. There's one boss in zf that's notorious for attacking every turn that it's not attacked or if someone heals. So you just have to know how the boss cheats before you start the battle.

I this helps!

Defender
Oct 15, 2009
the new 5-6 hit ogami musatuit whatever spell is the game killer for me. Since I only like to pvp, they have destroyed what was a masterpiece. I dont get it.

Hero
Jun 08, 2009
Temperest wrote:
the new 5-6 hit ogami musatuit whatever spell is the game killer for me. Since I only like to pvp, they have destroyed what was a masterpiece. I dont get it.

1. It was a glitch that they are in the process of repairing.

2. That was sort of off-topic.

Survivor
Nov 08, 2010
pearson03 wrote:

I am with you..I am doing Swimming with the Stars quest This is insane the amount of cheating. I am all for difficult bosses but when your turn is skipped 3 times and you only get one turn to their 3 that is just crazy. I thought maybe it was just a few times they cheat but noooooo . If I heal myself not just one enemy heals , they all get to heal. I spent over 30 minutes getting no hit pts off the enemy. When I finally managed to kill two of the enemy out of 4 all of a sudden the two I killed came back to life. I have to say I have played many games and it is just not worth 3-4 hours in a dungeon to just die from cheating and have to do it all over again. I liked this game but I just dont think that some of these dungeons are matched evenly to players levels.

Hero
Sep 08, 2008
kingurz wrote:
Many other games have "cheating" bosses, but they call them "raid enchancements" instead.

It is so easy to say, "wizard101 is not for you" or "just play with other players." So easy to say these things.

Why can things not be challenging, yet casual? Why so downright challenging, that it no longer becomes fun? Yes, some people like that kind of thing. But the OP and I obviously don't. That does not mean that Wizard101 is not for the likes of us.

I would say, as a 'happy medium,' all plot battles and progression is somewhat casual, or what others would call EASY. Bonus dungeons and battles for good items, mega snacks, equipment, etc, can be those ever so frustrating cheating challenges. Something along those lines, yes?

Adherent
Mar 18, 2009
Shiningfantasia wrote:
kingurz wrote:

It is so easy to say, "wizard101 is not for you" or "just play with other players." So easy to say these things.

Why can things not be challenging, yet casual? Why so downright challenging, that it no longer becomes fun? Yes, some people like that kind of thing. But the OP and I obviously don't. That does not mean that Wizard101 is not for the likes of us.

I would say, as a 'happy medium,' all plot battles and progression is somewhat casual, or what others would call EASY. Bonus dungeons and battles for good items, mega snacks, equipment, etc, can be those ever so frustrating cheating challenges. Something along those lines, yes?

One type does not fit all. Skill, challenge, etc are not easy to standardize across the board for everyone. So while your comment has merit, you can not please everyone. Your casual is different from mine and from everyone elses. Like the original poster said, "Really software engineers and developers, can we not find a happy medium." I believe that is a difficult thing to achieve given the disparate skill level among players, especially a family game that encorporates children and adults.

I would normally agree with your solution, as that was the case before the Trial of the Spheres (and I would be perfectly okay if the format went back to that). However, for reasons beyond me, KI decided to implement cheating bosses in the normal quest line. Maybe wizards were burning through content so quickly they were leaving after the story ended and not staying for the optional stuff. Or wizards were complaining about how monotonous the boss battles were becoming. I don't know. It personally wouldn't matter to me, since I do hang around after the content expires to farm the optional dungeons. I just have to assume KI had a reason to change their format.

Remember, they will and have changed encounters that were too hard for players. The "enhancement" bosses are a great example of KI understanding player limits.

Additionally, my response was to a player that, while claimed to have played many MMOs, didn't seem to get very far in those MMOs either, since every major MMO has cheating bosses (worse ones than Wizard101, like death touches or requires 72 players to defeat).

I believe the underlying issue is that KI makes Wizard101 a medium challenge for a group of four wizards, yet some wizards insist on going through the entire game solo and demanding KI change the difficulty to that of a solo player. I've personally left other MMOs because they were too difficult in solo or even group situations (that's how I ended up finding Wizard101). So suggesting to the original poster to look for a different game (like me) might actually find them success. It sure beats waiting around hoping KI removes all the cheats from bosses and being miserable in the meantime.

Finally, the original poster has only been playing Wizard101 for two months, so the "casualness" really doesn't apply to someone who goes from level one to 64 during that timeframe. I would be willing to bet the cheating bosses were slowing said player down in getting to level 70 even quicker (which resulted in the venting), which only confirms my theory of players burning through content too quickly for KI.

Hero
Sep 08, 2008
That is exactly right. That is why I also play Wizard101. xD

In games like FFXI, and WoW, as beautiful as they are, one has to get incredibly lucky or be incredibly popular, to find massive guilds/groups that accept them for how they play and who they are so they can get all the major equipment and have their character reach their full potential.

Needless to say, after years and years, I never ended up being that lucky, nor that popular. With wizard101, I can enjoy all the game content, and know full well, no matter what expansions may come, that my character can always reach his/her full potential.

And I will say this. I do my share of complaining, and ranting, and ramble on and on about what I think about this and that, but in the end, I still play this game, and I have a lot of fun doing it. And I'll let this be some advice for our OP. Try to play to have fun. I hate cheating bosses like no one else, but once you get past the cheating bosses and little frustrations, you'll never have to fight them again, EVER. Unless you want to.

Adherent
Jul 03, 2010
mip77 wrote:
This isnt exactly a problem, its a OPINION. I wouldnt show that you "hate" or dislike this game, just quit and dont come back. This is a kids game, remember that. We all don't need dislikers clogging up the toilet here :? , no meaning to be mean, but, people have opinions, just quit. And about cheating bosses, you need to know what they do for their cheats and other things by going to Wizard Central, slow down here! You can have help. This isn't a solo game. Just quit if you dont like it, nothing else. Its THAT simple.

Taylor Daisystone
Legendary Pyromancer

Unfortunately in my experience with the game some where around mid Mooshu it stops being a kids game - at least that is when most all of my younger friends dropped out of the game, my menu chat friends struggle so badly it's just sad, of the group of them I have one left and have really tried to help him though BriskBreeze and the MarleyBone Warehouse with out success due to the lack of communication.

Adherent
Jul 03, 2010
tabby714 wrote:
It is certainly an exaggeration to say that every boss over level 50 or so cheats. In the main questline (excluding optional towers such as Briskbreeze, Waterworks, etc.), cheating begins with the Trial of the Spheres, the final Celestia dungeon. This is pretty late in the game--you are usually past level 60 when you get to this. Zafaria does have more cheating bosses. Fortunately, KI made some changes so that now you can use minions in these dungeons--except for Belloq, and in that one you can get any low-level person with a bunch of 1-2 pip spells to help you.

But on the larger subject of cheating dungeons, I have to say it's not my favorite part of the game. I have two wizards with the Mirror Lake quest, and probably won't do it for awhile because, well, cheating dungeons just aren't fun. They're stressful and annoying. They require research. And you can't do them with menu chat people, which I think is unfair to those kids. And even if the menu chatters know the cheat, there's no way they can tell you, so it's too risky to try.

I have no idea why KI doesn't address this problem. It's really become an ethical issue, in my opinion.

But why cheating? I think there are limited ways to make turn-based battle games more challenging at higher levels. You can increase hit points exponentially, or you can create strategic challenges, e.g., cheating. I am not a game expert, so maybe there are other options...but I can't think of any offhand.

I understand your frustration. I find that the other aspects of the game--housing, pets, crafting--are more fun for me just now. Mirror Lake can wait. And to be honest, the thought of a level 70+ world with even more cheating isn't something I look forward to...

I agree with your post totally. I think the game does have a sort of divide where it does become more stress then fun for a lot of us. Currently I am considering limiting my future wizards to the end of DragonSprye, nothing says I need to forge on and complete anything more and that is an area where it gets as stressful as I like and not taking BriskBreeze or the Marleybone Warehouse. It will gear my wizards to being more temporary but since I have taken a few wizards all the way though there are quite a few areas I really dread repeating. Maybe I will be able to put more time into pets, gardening and crafting.

Defender
Dec 25, 2008
brwac wrote:
mip77 wrote:

Taylor Daisystone
Legendary Pyromancer

Unfortunately in my experience with the game some where around mid Mooshu it stops being a kids game - at least that is when most all of my younger friends dropped out of the game, my menu chat friends struggle so badly it's just sad, of the group of them I have one left and have really tried to help him though BriskBreeze and the MarleyBone Warehouse with out success due to the lack of communication.

I had menu until mid ds but I couldn't beat the warehouse in mb so I got chat. I did. This because no one thought I knew what I was doing, I am lucky my dad agreed to letting me because he was shaky on it. Cheating needs to be neared attest or maybe the chat needs to be changed a little because muted players deserve to do cheating dungeons too lol.

Survivor
Apr 25, 2011
pearson03 wrote:
For starters I am extremely dissappointed in this game. I have played many multi-media online games and have found this one to be less then average. In less then 2 months and a lot of money I have taken a character from level 1 to a level 64 Thaumaturge, only to realize that it is pointless. I have discovered that once you get past say level 50....ready for this....EVERY DUNGEON AND EVERY BOSS CHEATS. I mean I understand that cheating bosses in a game are a necessary feature to some degree. However, my problem lies in the amount of cheating that goes on in this game. The bosses in this game will cheat on every turn, not just once or twice during a dual as is with most every other epic tale online game. Everything from random pip increases to literally skipping my turn 3 times in consecutive order, and having the boss hit you 6 times in those three turns. Really software engineers and developers, can we not find a happy medium. Is it just too difficult for you folks to figure out how to make the game extremely difficult without resorting to these ultra high level of cheating that you have programmed into the game. In closing, I would like to say it is very disheartening when you have invested any amount of time and any amount of money on a game only to realize after several months of playing that you have been had. I really enjoyed palying for the first 50 levels but i just am reallly turned off by the amount of cheating in the higher levels. I have played other games and never have I seen this level of cheating.

It's what makes the game a challenge!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1 :D You don't just quit because it's hard, DUDE, just beat the bosses!!!! :l Are you just going to let bosses get away with it??? HUH????? You got to teach them a lesson!!

Anyways I don't know why you would post this on the forums without putting your character info. If you don't, nobody but people who actually know who you are are going to know who is quitting.

Bye!

Tiffany Wildrider Adept Pyromancer

Survivor
Aug 29, 2011
Even though I am at Level 29 I have figured out by now that this isn't a one player game. Yes it might not be for everyone but you could try to buddy up with someone the same level as you to defeat these bosses. You probably haven't gotten to the highest level yet so back to what I was saying buddy up with someone who is willing to help you.

Hope this helps,
A Fire Wizard

p.s. It's good to have some spells to heal you too!

Survivor
Aug 29, 2011
To say this quick and sum it up, I think you should pair up with a buddy the same level as you and defeat those bosses. If you prefer doing it by yourself it will be much harder for you. I also think you should have a lot of life spells in your deck. Please consider my davice.

Hopes this helps,
A Fire Wizard