Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

So much downloading!

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Aug 01, 2009
Is there a reason why I have to download a bunch of things every time I log into the game? It gets very annoying.'

Is there a way the game could download completely and not have to download something unless it is something new? Would be much easier.

It could be useful if the game could be fully downloaded and might make the game perform better on some computers.

What is your view on this?

Adherent
Jul 03, 2010
UWECEO wrote:
Is there a reason why I have to download a bunch of things every time I log into the game? It gets very annoying.'

Is there a way the game could download completely and not have to download something unless it is something new? Would be much easier.

It could be useful if the game could be fully downloaded and might make the game perform better on some computers.

Since the game is always on going with updates and patches some downloading may occur during sign on. How long this takes may have to do with your online provider. Usually I have less then a minute of updates prior to getting the the main sign in screen, more if a major update has been done.

Armiger
Feb 25, 2009
brwac wrote:
UWECEO wrote:

Since the game is always on going with updates and patches some downloading may occur during sign on. How long this takes may have to do with your online provider. Usually I have less then a minute of updates prior to getting the the main sign in screen, more if a major update has been done.

Brwac, Uweceo is right. I have been dealing with this for the past couple of weeks and it is getting very annoying. It doesn't even matter which wizard I am running but it seems there is always something downloading in game. If it were only during log in it would not be so bad, but every few seconds in game is causing a lot of lag for me.

Adherent
Mar 18, 2009
Patching or downloading?

Every time you log into Wizard101 the client scans your files for any missing files you are suppose to have from the server. So the login screen bars you see are usually not downloading most times, they are simply checking to see if any new files have been sent from the server.

Survivor
Aug 01, 2009
brwac wrote:
UWECEO wrote:

Not entirely true,

I have logged in, download for about two to three minutes minimum (had I have cable internet) - logged out and logged back in to download the same exact files and same exact amount of time,

I understand that there are upgrades and new patches but if the files are the same, it would just be simpler to download it once onto the computer as a perm file than re-download it each time. Believe me, I love this game and have encouraged so many to play it so I do not want to dis it but the downloading has to become a bit easier. ( like goldendragon18 said "If it were only during log in it would not be so bad, but every few seconds in game is causing a lot of lag for me." it happens in the game for me as well = lag lag lag and monster become invisible = unwanted or unneeded battles.)

Like I said, please do not get me wrong - KI is doin a fine job with the game, just try to make it easier to load the game and play it without the constant annoying downloads.....my other computer games do not do it and I would rather play W101.

Armiger
Feb 25, 2009
kingurz wrote:
Patching or downloading?

Every time you log into Wizard101 the client scans your files for any missing files you are suppose to have from the server. So the login screen bars you see are usually not downloading most times, they are simply checking to see if any new files have been sent from the server.

This is happening in game. It appears in the upper left like it does when new content has been added to the game and you have to wait for it to download before you can proceed. I have been dealing with it now for about 2 weeks and is getting annoying and causing lag. It really lags if it is downloading during a duel.

Adherent
Mar 18, 2009
goldendragon18 wrote:
kingurz wrote:
Patching or downloading?

This is happening in game. It appears in the upper left like it does when new content has been added to the game and you have to wait for it to download before you can proceed. I have been dealing with it now for about 2 weeks and is getting annoying and causing lag. It really lags if it is downloading during a duel.

Yes, that is different. And that should not be happening. Awhile back, the client was continously trying to download Argus Hollowsoul (the Halloween NPC). KI fixed that, but I still see random clothing items being downloaded (even after I downloaded them before). Now, there might be small changes occurring (there have been a lot of maintenance lately), requiring additional downloads, but I too believe the Argus issue is back.

Mastermind
Sep 19, 2009
UWECEO wrote:

KI just constanly has new and fun updates for us :-D

Delver
Sep 22, 2010
I have noticed this to....but the downloads doesn't slow me down it takes but a few seconds here and there.... but then again my computer can handle it....(no pun intended).... I believe it's KI simply just adding content as you go along.... so that not to over load your computer with content at one time....it loads it as your game calls for it....Don't think that will ever change....

Thanks For Reading....

Hero
Jul 27, 2009
oh gee i have cable as well and well on the old system it took a few minutes but the new system has a ton more ram and faster cpu so the download time is less than a minute now...
its a combination of things i find
type of isp...
and how much bandwidth you pay for...
and how your system is build and configured ...
and how large is your swap file...
and how much patience you have

Armiger
Feb 25, 2009
dragonpower333 wrote:
I have noticed this to....but the downloads doesn't slow me down it takes but a few seconds here and there.... but then again my computer can handle it....(no pun intended).... I believe it's KI simply just adding content as you go along.... so that not to over load your computer with content at one time....it loads it as your game calls for it....Don't think that will ever change....

Thanks For Reading....

No Dragonpower333. It is not new content. The downloads keep repeating the same ones over and over. This is the same as Kingurz already stated of the same kind of issue we had a while back.

Administrator
Have you installed Wizard101 in a directory other than C:/Program Files/KingsIsle Entertainment/Wizard101?

If so, let us know please.

community@wizard101.com
Armiger
Feb 25, 2009
Professor Greyrose wrote:
Have you installed Wizard101 in a directory other than C:/Program Files/KingsIsle Entertainment/Wizard101?

If so, let us know please.

Professor Greyrose, I never use any other directory for Wizard101.

Last night I was running both of my accounts at the same time and the downloads were going on both of them.

Hero
Jun 11, 2010
UWECEO wrote:
brwac wrote:
UWECEO wrote:

Not entirely true,

I have logged in, download for about two to three minutes minimum (had I have cable internet) - logged out and logged back in to download the same exact files and same exact amount of time,

I understand that there are upgrades and new patches but if the files are the same, it would just be simpler to download it once onto the computer as a perm file than re-download it each time. Believe me, I love this game and have encouraged so many to play it so I do not want to dis it but the downloading has to become a bit easier. ( like goldendragon18 said "If it were only during log in it would not be so bad, but every few seconds in game is causing a lot of lag for me." it happens in the game for me as well = lag lag lag and monster become invisible = unwanted or unneeded battles.)

Like I said, please do not get me wrong - KI is doin a fine job with the game, just try to make it easier to load the game and play it without the constant annoying downloads.....my other computer games do not do it and I would rather play W101.

The more commonly you play, the shorter this time period gets. If I play today and then again tomorrow, then the time will be shorter. If I play today and then next week, then the time to download is kind of long.

Armiger
Feb 25, 2009
Hobi and Eggywig, you are both of track on this one. This has nothing to do with my computer or what ever Eggywig is trying to get at.

These are files that have already downloaded and are repeating just like it did with the "Argus Hollowsoul" that Kingurz mentioned in another post. Last night it started downloading a quest giver that I had already taken my wizards too a few times in the Crucible. This was repeated several times until I finally logged out. It has nothing to do with new content or updates.

Hero
Jan 24, 2010
I have noticed a similar problem in-game after I start playing. The little icon in the upper left corner will sometimes cycle for 10-15 minutes. When that happens, I get lag like I'm in a full realm, even if I'm on a perfect realm. Sometimes changing realms helps, sometimes it doesn't help.

I have also become increasingly aware of longer and longer download/patching time when I log in. The other night I waited for 10 minutes for the game to load. It took 5% of my battery charge!

Is the problem that the game is getting so large that it challenges the processing ability of my 4 year old laptop? Dang, 2 gigs of RAM should do the trick, yes? I don't notice the problem so much on my brand new desktop machine.

This reminds me of the issues my son had with LotR on his mini, which were so bad we deleted the game and never reloaded it. In fact, my son said the other day that he has a hard time loading and running W101 on his mini. It's so frustrating to him that I can't convince him to play often, which is a drag since he has a new 1-year sub. (Yes, we did maintenance, removed unnecessary programs, etc., with no notable improvement in game performance.)

Anyone have suggestions? I'd hate to have to buy a gamer's laptop just to run and play W101.

Queenlybluebean

Armiger
Feb 25, 2009
queenlybluebean wrote:
I have noticed a similar problem in-game after I start playing. The little icon in the upper left corner will sometimes cycle for 10-15 minutes. When that happens, I get lag like I'm in a full realm, even if I'm on a perfect realm. Sometimes changing realms helps, sometimes it doesn't help.

I have also become increasingly aware of longer and longer download/patching time when I log in. The other night I waited for 10 minutes for the game to load. It took 5% of my battery charge!

Is the problem that the game is getting so large that it challenges the processing ability of my 4 year old laptop? Dang, 2 gigs of RAM should do the trick, yes? I don't notice the problem so much on my brand new desktop machine.

This reminds me of the issues my son had with LotR on his mini, which were so bad we deleted the game and never reloaded it. In fact, my son said the other day that he has a hard time loading and running W101 on his mini. It's so frustrating to him that I can't convince him to play often, which is a drag since he has a new 1-year sub. (Yes, we did maintenance, removed unnecessary programs, etc., with no notable improvement in game performance.)

Anyone have suggestions? I'd hate to have to buy a gamer's laptop just to run and play W101.

Queenlybluebean

Queenlybluebean, hopefully we will get some kind of answer from KI soon.

As for your son's mini, can't help you there, but, before I went out and bought a gamer's laptop, trying taking the mini to a repair shop and let them do a diagnostic on it. Most will run the diagnostic for free. It may just need a good defrag or a registry cleaner. I have never tried to run this game on a laptop, although I am sure it would run better.

It seems that KI has all of their brains working somewhere else and not paying attention to what is really going on with the game.

Survivor
Aug 01, 2009
This game is not that high tech by all means so why are such high perimeters needed?? I have a laptop that is only 2 years old 2.4GHZ processor and 4GB of ram.... it can run any game I install into it with no troubles of lag ..... why only W101?

Some of the possible remedies that others are saying does not make sense.....a disc sent to customers (players) to provide a base of the game and possibly be sold in stores could boost their profits and provide customers (players) without having to re-download the whole thing. Once the base is established, KI could send updates every two or three months to the customers or provide a link to download them. The constant downloading is just plainly annoying. *especially when I exit a dungeon or portal or whatever and I see no monster and end up running into one that is invisible to me. So annoying!

Delver
Sep 22, 2010
It sounds like to me either KI requirements needs to be reassess.... as to what people need to run thier game Smoothly.... Because i have no problem nor do i see anything that slows me down i don't know why but my guess would be Some computers just can't handle KI Programming ie....Your graphic card....

Thanks For Reading....

Armiger
Feb 25, 2009
dragonpower333 wrote:
It sounds like to me either KI requirements needs to be reassess.... as to what people need to run thier game Smoothly.... Because i have no problem nor do i see anything that slows me down i don't know why but my guess would be Some computers just can't handle KI Programming ie....Your graphic card....

Thanks For Reading....

It is a glitch. We have had a similar one in the past. This has nothing to do with graphics card.

The same things are repeatedly being downloaded.

Hero
Jan 24, 2010
dragonpower333 wrote:

Thanks For Reading....

Hi,

That's what the W101 diagnostic tool might find, if a player sends the report to KI support. It is not, however, my problem. I have already been through the support ticket route, and have updated all relevant drivers.

This is a newer problem that many of us have noticed since the Zafaria release.

Please, KI, respond to our queries on this matter.

Regards,

Queenlybluebean

Hero
Jan 24, 2010
goldendragon18 wrote:
queenlybluebean wrote:

Queenlybluebean

Queenlybluebean, hopefully we will get some kind of answer from KI soon.

As for your son's mini, can't help you there, but, before I went out and bought a gamer's laptop, trying taking the mini to a repair shop and let them do a diagnostic on it. Most will run the diagnostic for free. It may just need a good defrag or a registry cleaner. I have never tried to run this game on a laptop, although I am sure it would run better.

It seems that KI has all of their brains working somewhere else and not paying attention to what is really going on with the game.

I agree with you there. They seem preoccupied with whatever mysterious project is causing such a hiring frenzy at KI.

The problems with my son's mini running the game correspond to the Zafaria release. He used to spend hours on Wizard101, on his mini, with absolutely no problem. In fact, he had better performance with the mini than I did with the laptop, even before Celestia. Now both of our laptops have trouble with loading and running the game.

It can't be the lack of maintenance, because we tend to those tasks on a routine basis. It can't be my internet connection, because it's amazingly fast and reliable,. and the same service I've had for the past 2 years. Personally, I think a major factor is the size of the game now. I looked into my Wizard101 files in the hard disk on my laptop, and it takes up over 2 gigs of space. Add the huge download at sign in and it becomes enormous.

Anyway, here's hoping we get a reply.

Warmest Regards,

Qbb