Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Should there be a spell that absorbs mana?

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Feb 21, 2009
should there be a spell that makes a person lose mana or absorbs it and gives some to you?

Adherent
Mar 18, 2009
DarkWolfx wrote:
should there be a spell that makes a person lose mana or absorbs it and gives some to you?

Very interesting!!!!!

Could also open up the possiblity of restoring mana in a duel (like a life wizard does with health).

You could probably even design a new school around this concept.

Squire
Jan 21, 2010
I had thought about that.
problems to overcome:
PvP doesn't use mana.
Monsters have unlimited mana.

Death may get away with a mana restore spell, Pay life to restore some mana to target player.
I wonder if that is what sacrifice did during concept development...
I guess balance could if it were a direct transfer, like donate pips.

If this happens expect blue wisps to become even more rare in combat areas. or even to disappear from those zones altogether.

Every time they add a feature, they have to tweak other existing features to keep the game balanced... well as balanced as they can manage.

Archon
Oct 24, 2010
Adherent
Mar 18, 2009
zebulous wrote:
I had thought about that.
problems to overcome:
PvP doesn't use mana.

This would be the hardest part to implement. A simple fix. Just treat mana the same way health is currently treated. Getting refilled to full, no matter how much you had prior to the match. The only problem with this concept is when there is an uneven match up in levels, since a higher level will have access to more spell casts. But to me that's not a problem with the spell concept, but rather PvP matching in general (they already have higher access to health).

zebulous wrote:
Monsters have unlimited mana.

If the spell is simply to drain and fill you up it isn't a problem, because your goal is to refill mana (or possibly group members). If the enemy has unlimited mana, well fire away until full. The problem lies in if the spell was designed to actually drain their mana to 0, but I don't think KI would move to that (at least for PvE).

zebulous wrote:
If this happens expect blue wisps to become even more rare in combat areas. or even to disappear from those zones altogether.

Not necessarily. Life wizards can heal an entire group to full health at the end of a duel, but health wisps are still seen floating around combat zones.

I think this is a good spell idea, but the main problem I see is the usefulness. It's easier to port to the commons, refill mana, and then port back to your "saved" point to get your mana back. So if this spell was introduced as say an astral school, how many people would purchase it? However, if the concept was toyed with, it might actually end up with a whole new dimension to Wizard101.

Mastermind
Jul 25, 2010
Defender
Oct 15, 2009
No I dont think mana would be an attractive absorb.

However, a spell that steals pips . . . .

Explorer
Jan 22, 2011
kingurz wrote:
DarkWolfx wrote:

Very interesting!!!!!

Could also open up the possiblity of restoring mana in a duel (like a life wizard does with health).

Let's not go to far!Maybe a teeny-weeny chance of good idea to get mana in duel as a secondray effect of a draining spell or something...But not a school for real now.

Defender
Feb 12, 2011
Nice idea - maybe make it a steal pip from enemy spell instead? Get's around the issue of players running out of mana and being forced to flee.

Archon
Oct 24, 2010
watsupdog111 wrote:
RavenLady777 wrote:
No.
Very descriptive critique

We weren't asked to critique.
We were asked a question. I answered.
thank you

Adherent
Mar 18, 2009
Mythknowledge655 wrote:
kingurz wrote:
DarkWolfx wrote:

Very interesting!!!!!

Let's not go to far!Maybe a teeny-weeny chance of good idea to get mana in duel as a secondray effect of a draining spell or something...But not a school for real now.

Why not, many other MMO's have done it.

Enchanters, Mentalists, Bards and others have usually been tied to affecting their opponents mana in some fashion. Some would "heal" their teammates mana, some would regenerate mana more quickly over time, others would "sap" it, and of course some would "drain" it and give it to yourself like the original poster described.

Remember, while a new school might center around that concept, it doesn't have to only do something with mana. Just like life wizards can do more than just heal (increase accuracy, remove DoTs and cast absorb).

Mastermind
Jul 25, 2010
RavenLady777 wrote:
watsupdog111 wrote:
RavenLady777 wrote:
No.
Very descriptive critique

We weren't asked to critique.
We were asked a question. I answered.
thank you
That's not my point, i was being sarcastic.

Survivor
Feb 21, 2009
perhaps we should bring this to Professor Falmea or the Ice teacher's attention... this could be the start of something... I'd like to see more of the ideas coming to life

Survivor
May 28, 2009
kingurz wrote:
DarkWolfx wrote:

Very interesting!!!!!

Sounds alot like a move for the balance school to me. Or maybe death. I think that if a new school is invented, it would have to be introduced as an optional secondary school later on in the game.