Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Astral Spells........Train ALL of them?

AuthorMessage
Armiger
Feb 25, 2009
I know this has come up in the past, but I think it needs to be revisited.

If you go to any of the trainers, you find that in order to get the ONE Astral Spell you want, which is usually at the bottom of the list, you have to train all of the ones above it.

Now why would I want to CLUTTER my spell book with a lot of spells or Enhancements I won't use. To me this is senseless and a total waste of training points.

I have taken 3 of my wizards to Floating Land to the Star Trainer mainly for Unstoppable and possibly Gargantuan. If you are High enough in level, all of those should be open to you to choose only the ones you want. The first 2 on the list are for level 51. You can actually pick which you want. But if you are any higher level, you have to take them all in order to get those last 2. Almost all of my wizards have so many Keen Eyes, Toughs, Giants and what have you in my treasure cards that it would be a definite waste of pips to train them. And most of them I don't even use to begin with. Just to get TO the last 2 costs 8 training points.

KI, I don't know what the purpose for this kind of restriction is, but it STINKS.

Adherent
Mar 18, 2009
goldendragon18 wrote:

If you go to any of the trainers, you find that in order to get the ONE Astral Spell you want, which is usually at the bottom of the list, you have to train all of the ones above it.

Now why would I want to CLUTTER my spell book with a lot of spells or Enhancements I won't use. To me this is senseless and a total waste of training points.

I have taken 3 of my wizards to Floating Land to the Star Trainer mainly for Unstoppable and possibly Gargantuan. If you are High enough in level, all of those should be open to you to choose only the ones you want. The first 2 on the list are for level 51. You can actually pick which you want. But if you are any higher level, you have to take them all in order to get those last 2. Almost all of my wizards have so many Keen Eyes, Toughs, Giants and what have you in my treasure cards that it would be a definite waste of pips to train them. And most of them I don't even use to begin with. Just to get TO the last 2 costs 8 training points.

KI, I don't know what the purpose for this kind of restriction is, but it STINKS.

I disagree when talking about the Sun spells. Those work just like the spells you received in Ravenwood. You couldn't train Sandstorm before Scorpion no matter what level you were. Same thing here.

Now polymorphs are a different story. I can understand having to have Draconian before Fire Elemental (or vice versa), but needing Treant to get the Elementals doesn't make sense.

Hero
May 02, 2009
For moon and sun, its just like with a normal teacher, meaning you have to train all the spells in order in order to get the higher spell. Also, you don't have to train the accuracy boosting spells to get gargantuan, and also you can train the star spells in any order you want provided your the right level.

Armiger
Feb 25, 2009
kingurz wrote:
goldendragon18 wrote:

I disagree when talking about the Sun spells. Those work just like the spells you received in Ravenwood. You couldn't train Sandstorm before Scorpion no matter what level you were. Same thing here.

Now polymorphs are a different story. I can understand having to have Draconian before Fire Elemental (or vice versa), but needing Treant to get the Elementals doesn't make sense.

The Sun Spells, don't interest me at all. As for Polymorphs, the only one I will train on any of my wizards and have on 2 is Treant.

But when it comes to the Star Spells, that is a totally different story. I have more Keen Eyes, Toughs, Giants, Monstrous, and Snipers on my 7 wizards than I will ever use in TCs. The only one of those I do use occasionally is Sniper. The rest are just clutter. The only ones I would like to train without all the rest is Unstoppable and Gargantuan.

IMO, if your wizard is the right level for the Star Spell you want, you should not have to train all the rest just to get it.

Champion
Jul 30, 2010
kingurz wrote:
goldendragon18 wrote:

exactly. what is the point of having some one just skipping to all the good spells and ignoring all the other spells but only train your schools best spell. untill lvl 48 that is.

Armiger
Feb 25, 2009
flash33 wrote:
For moon and sun, its just like with a normal teacher, meaning you have to train all the spells in order in order to get the higher spell. Also, you don't have to train the accuracy boosting spells to get gargantuan, and also you can train the star spells in any order you want provided your the right level.

I am not interested in either of the Sun or Moon spells. As far as those go, I agree they should be trained in order and the only one I will train and have on 2 wizards is Treant. As for the rest of them, I have more in TC's than I care for and have started trashing some of those.

Flash33, when is the last time you went to a Star Trainer? I went to the one in Floating Land within the last week with 3 different wizards, 2 of them legendaries and the 3rd one level 59. Those spells only go to level 58. The only ones that it will let me train are Keen Eyes and Tough, both of which are level 51 spell enhancements. That says you have to train them in order to get the last 2.

Maybe, the way I should have posted this is "Astral Spells....Train All Star Spells?" These are the only ones I am interested in but I am not going to train them all just to get the last 2.

Adherent
Mar 18, 2009
goldendragon18 wrote:
kingurz wrote:
goldendragon18 wrote:

The Sun Spells, don't interest me at all. As for Polymorphs, the only one I will train on any of my wizards and have on 2 is Treant.

But when it comes to the Star Spells, that is a totally different story. I have more Keen Eyes, Toughs, Giants, Monstrous, and Snipers on my 7 wizards than I will ever use in TCs. The only one of those I do use occasionally is Sniper. The rest are just clutter. The only ones I would like to train without all the rest is Unstoppable and Gargantuan.

IMO, if your wizard is the right level for the Star Spell you want, you should not have to train all the rest just to get it.

The spells you listed are the Sun School not Star school. And if worked like you intended, no one would ever purchase the spells you mentioned (they would have to take them out of the game or only leave as treasure cards). Since a training point is so precious it wouldn't merit spending it on a spell you will only use for two levels. I'm not disagreeing that it isn't aggravating to have unused spells in your deck, but at least you are upgrading your spell just like a Vampire upgrades the abilities of a ghoul, that's how the Sun School works too. The Polymorph is different, because the Treant is completely different from the Elementals. But in that case, you have to put spells in your deck you will automatically not use (like a life wizard wanting Fire Elemental) no matter what level you decide to train at. You can at least use the Sun spells for two levels until they are obsolete.

If your suggestion was applied to the Ravenwood schools no one would ever spend six training points to get Feint. They would simply use one point for Feint at level 26. Part of that steep training point price is factored into the cost of Feint. Same thing with the Sun School spells. The cost of Colossal is five training points, not one. Since the power allows you to cast Wild Bolt at 2 pips but do at least 285 damage, instead of 10.

I also have to believe that these restrictions are in place to limit the amount of secondary spells you can choose from. Just like how other games don't allow you to acquire every single Alternate Advancement ability or Talent tree for your class. It keeps the player's decks somewhat diverse, so, for example, most life wizard's decks don't all look the same.

Armiger
Feb 25, 2009
kingurz wrote:
goldendragon18 wrote:
kingurz wrote:
goldendragon18 wrote:

The spells you listed are the Sun School not Star school. And if worked like you intended, no one would ever purchase the spells you mentioned (they would have to take them out of the game or only leave as treasure cards). Since a training point is so precious it wouldn't merit spending it on a spell you will only use for two levels. I'm not disagreeing that it isn't aggravating to have unused spells in your deck, but at least you are upgrading your spell just like a Vampire upgrades the abilities of a ghoul, that's how the Sun School works too. The Polymorph is different, because the Treant is completely different from the Elementals. But in that case, you have to put spells in your deck you will automatically not use (like a life wizard wanting Fire Elemental) no matter what level you decide to train at. You can at least use the Sun spells for two levels until they are obsolete.

If your suggestion was applied to the Ravenwood schools no one would ever spend six training points to get Feint. They would simply use one point for Feint at level 26. Part of that steep training point price is factored into the cost of Feint. Same thing with the Sun School spells. The cost of Colossal is five training points, not one. Since the power allows you to cast Wild Bolt at 2 pips but do at least 285 damage, instead of 10.

I also have to believe that these restrictions are in place to limit the amount of secondary spells you can choose from. Just like how other games don't allow you to acquire every single Alternate Advancement ability or Talent tree for your class. It keeps the player's decks somewhat diverse, so, for example, most life wizard's decks don't all look the same.

My mistake if I stated the wrong Astral School. I am old and with a few distractions everytime I try to type. ( 27 month old great grand son I am currently raising.) I am not saying that everything else should be changed as to the order of obtaining spells. I am just saying it is senseless wasting a lot of pips for spell enhancements that I already have more of than I will ever use. I have trained most of my wizards in Death as secondary mainly for the feint. As for training any other school as a third? No. I rarely use anything out of my primary school other than Feint. It would just be nice to be able to train Unstoppable and Gargantuan without having to add more clutter to my spell book.

The only thing I even keep those TCs is in the event I want to go to Unicorn Way and make a few TCs of my regular spells instead of buying them.

Archon
Oct 24, 2010
These spells are no different than the 'regulars' school spells. You have to work your way up to the higher levels. I disagree that it should change. At level 50 and higher, I have a lot of spells that I don't use, but it matters not. I have the higher level spells I need.

Mastermind
Jul 25, 2010
Yea i got so angry when i had to train giant to gargantuan just to get colossal

Armiger
Feb 25, 2009
watsupdog111 wrote:
Yea i got so angry when i had to train giant to gargantuan just to get colossal

That is what I am getting at. It seems senseless to have to train enhancements that have been around all this time.

I actually stopped using most of them long before Unstoppable, Gargantuan and Colossal were added to the game. The only time I did use any of them was to got to Unicorn Way and make a few TC's from my primary school. I don't even load those anymore and keep getting them from battles. On a couple of my wizards I have 9 pages of Keen Eyes, Toughs, Giants, Monsterous and that is after trading some of them to a wizard on second account. So I am certainly not going to train them.