Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

My Thoughts on the Rank 9 Spells

AuthorMessage
Armiger
May 10, 2010
AkihiroHattori5 wrote:
watsupdog111 wrote:
@Akihiro: The part about "with the terrible curve in the fumes coming from the volcanic mouth forming the ash cloud that rained the fire at the most awkward angle possible". It's only an online game i would highly doubt Ki would make the graphics better, i do admit the graphics aren't great but the game is only for pc, laptops, etc. Not PS3 or Xbox, so you shouldn't be surprised if it lacks quality.

I'm basing my views on what I've seen from them in the past. I know that this is an MMORPG, but that doesn't really justify Rain of Fire looking like a 5th grade volcano science project. If all the attacks had the same quality as Rain of Fire, Forest Lord would look like a terrier, Fire Dragon would look like a lizard, and Power Nova would look like a sparkler.

Did you know that when Mt. St. Helens Blew, it erupted on one side? It blew off one side of the volcano and did massive amounts of damage.

Now, your basis for not liking this spell is on the fact that it arcs and is directed at the opponent. Would you like it better if it blew up and hit everyone including yourself? lol

KI has done an excellent job, with the spells in the past and the current spells. Just because YOU want thinks to get darker and more mature the further we progress in the game, does not mean the whole community does.

Some have agreed with you about a few of the spells and many have disagreed with you about your point of view on the spells.

Which is exactly what it is, it is a point of view and an opinion.

You have stated yours, now, let others state theirs.

Illuminator
Feb 09, 2009
darthjt wrote:
Did you know that when Mt. St. Helens Blew, it erupted on one side? It blew off one side of the volcano and did massive amounts of damage.

And that's relevant because...?

Now, your basis for not liking this spell is on the fact that it arcs and is directed at the opponent. Would you like it better if it blew up and hit everyone including yourself? lol

No. My basis for not liking the spell is that the concept for the rain of fire is weird and unrealistic looking. It should've been about the volcano, not about the awkwardly positioned smoke and ash cloud that somehow rained fire upon the target.

KI has done an excellent job, with the spells in the past and the current spells. Just because YOU want thinks to get darker and more mature the further we progress in the game, does not mean the whole community does.

I'm not the one that set up the concept that as we level our spells and equipment become more mature; KI did that all on their own. I'm just confused as to why they didn't continue with this theme because I liked it. It gave the game a sense of reality. I can appreciate humor in attacks, but I felt KI had established that the corny attacks had stopped.

Some have agreed with you about a few of the spells and many have disagreed with you about your point of view on the spells.

Which is exactly what it is, it is a point of view and an opinion.

You have stated yours, now, let others state theirs.

The only person I see wholeheartedly disagreeing with me on every count is you. Last time I checked, there is no way to disallow replies. Everyone who's read this thread has had full right to reply, so I don't get why you're accusing me of not letting others state their opinion. And for the third time, you keep bringing up this whole "everyone is entitled to their opinion" ideal, yet if you haven't realized you're the only one adamantly trying to change my views, or are you just being argumentative for no good reason? At this point, I don't if you're trolling or just being obtuse.

Delver
Aug 15, 2009
I totally agree 100% with this post... Storm Sirens is one of the weakest high ranking spell, Storm has gained.

Armiger
May 10, 2010
AkihiroHattori5 wrote:
The only person I see wholeheartedly disagreeing with me on every count is you. Last time I checked, there is no way to disallow replies. Everyone who's read this thread has had full right to reply, so I don't get why you're accusing me of not letting others state their opinion. And for the third time, you keep bringing up this whole "everyone is entitled to their opinion" ideal, yet if you haven't realized you're the only one adamantly trying to change my views, or are you just being argumentative for no good reason? At this point, I don't if you're trolling or just being obtuse.

Wow dude, you need to get your fact straight. First of all, I just commented on this post and gave my opinion, as others have. You are the one attacking people, like myself, that have disagreed with your unrealistic point of view.

If you don't like the spells and the graphics, go play another game. KI is doing an excellent job and this is A family game, not an AkihiroHattori5 game.

Hero
Jun 08, 2009
Daviato wrote:
I totally agree 100% with this post... Storm Sirens is one of the weakest high ranking spell, Storm has gained.

With 880 base damage, removing one blade, and adding a 50% accuracy debuff to not 1, but ALL enemies, I really don't see your point.......

Illuminator
Feb 09, 2009
bionaknight wrote:
With 880 base damage, removing one blade, and adding a 50% accuracy debuff to not 1, but ALL enemies, I really don't see your point.......

I think he meant what I meant: it's not strong in terms of damage. The Storm school draws their power from raw strength. The fact that this spell is pretty weak in terms of damage is strange, and the fact that it has not one, but two effects makes the attack even stranger and out of place for the Storm school.

Defender
Jul 12, 2009
I did expect sirens to be well... prettier. And their singing should be like angels. These are supposed to lure weary sailors to crash on rocks. It should also be a little... stormier, a sailor can clearly see the rocks that would kill him. Sirens aren't pretty mermaids on a sunny day.

Defender
Jul 12, 2009
and try designing a better spell yourself, with the animation designed on the computer, send it to ki to put in the game.
They put a lot of work into this.
Oh, and in case you are a game designer, a spell everyone likes.
Next time thank them before critisizing.

Illuminator
Feb 09, 2009
magicintheair wrote:
and try designing a better spell yourself, with the animation designed on the computer, send it to ki to put in the game.
They put a lot of work into this.
Oh, and in case you are a game designer, a spell everyone likes.
Next time thank them before critisizing.

I hate when people say things like this because it's just obnoxious and unnecessary. I have not been through the proper training and practice that the people at KI have been through, so obviously whatever I come up with will pale in comparison to their work. However, that does not completely nullify my critique. What annoys me is that you're so quick to assume that they put so much effort into this that you're willing to chastise me for simply expressing my cool feedback towards their recent expansion. First, it's KI's policy that people can't just create things and send them directly to the company for copyright reasons. Second, how do you know they put as much if not more work into the Zafaria expansion when you compare it to its predecessors? I'm not saying they didn't, but unless you can show me your degree in game design, you're just speculating. Lastly, I do love the game, I love Zafaria, and I won't dispute that they did work hard on this expansion. I just feel they didn't put as much work into this expansion as they did the previous ones. I was left disappointed by these Rank 9 spells. So sue me. By the way, I think letting them take my money every year is thanks enough for the game.

Hero
Jun 08, 2009
AkihiroHattori5 wrote:
bionaknight wrote:

I think he meant what I meant: it's not strong in terms of damage. The Storm school draws their power from raw strength. The fact that this spell is pretty weak in terms of damage is strange, and the fact that it has not one, but two effects makes the attack even stranger and out of place for the Storm school.
Well, 880 works fine for me. The effects (actually, there are three) are there to give Storm a shot at survival while they're building their pips back up. I know there are a lot of people complaining about damage per pip, but at the end of the day it all comes down to how well the Diviner planned out their attack. It can be many times deadly then Storm Lord, but I agree it isn't as powerful as a buffed Tempest, but that's just because of it's damage per pip stat.

Hero
Sep 08, 2008
Hmm, considering the new spells....

I also think the Sirens could have used a make over. Their faces are horribly ugly lol. I did not necessarily think "The Little Mermaid," but thought more along the lines of "Pirates of the Carribean, on stranger tides." Whatever that movie is called.

I like the Basilisk. I don't like the fact that it is a dot though. I DO like how it stuns, all stunnable mobs will automatically get hit by the first dot the next round. I was hoping that it would be a solid one hit spell without special bells and whistles that would be just straight up damage.

The gnome, hmm, I have mixed feelings, and almost really don't know what to say. The gnome is exotic, but, childish. But, it does say "Hey, I am from the life school."

Overall, I like the new spells.

Illuminator
Feb 09, 2009
Shiningfantasia wrote:
I also think the Sirens could have used a make over. Their faces are horribly ugly lol. I did not necessarily think "The Little Mermaid," but thought more along the lines of "Pirates of the Carribean, on stranger tides." Whatever that movie is called.

It's not even the fact that they look "ugly" for me; it's the fact that they look ugly by mermaid standards when they're not supposed to be mermaids. They're supposed to look more like banshees if anything. Also, sorry! I have no idea what you mean by the Pirates of the Caribbean reference. I stopped watching after The Curse of the Black Pearl.

I like the Basilisk. I don't like the fact that it is a dot though. I DO like how it stuns, all stunnable mobs will automatically get hit by the first dot the next round. I was hoping that it would be a solid one hit spell without special bells and whistles that would be just straight up damage.

The DoT effect does annoy me a bit, but I like the fact that it does stay true to Myth's medium. I wouldn't have saddled Conjurers with yet another one target single-hit and I'm starting to wonder what happened to Myth's double attack ability.

The gnome, hmm, I have mixed feelings, and almost really don't know what to say. The gnome is exotic, but, childish. But, it does say "Hey, I am from the life school."

"Exotic"? They're on almost every lawn here in suburbia, so please explain. As for its obvious Life quality...eh, I'll give you that. Still, I can't stand it. The only reason my Theurgist would ever use it is for the fact that it's a great single-hitter, and I don't even think that's necessary. All my Sorcerer has been using in Zafaria is Ra and Power Nova. I've hardly used Hydra, and Judgment might as well not even be in my deck.

Squire
Dec 21, 2008
Wooly Mammoth: What's wrong with the snowman being there? How does it ruin EVERYTHING? And it does stun for one round, so that should be good.

Sirens: I didn't know that they MEANT to make it look like Ariel and her sisters (Unless they did o:). You kinda scared me with the part, "Since when was Wizard101 sponsored by Disney?". Well it's more like, "Since when did Ariel and her sisters sing to lure people?". But if it is supposed to be like Disney, then uh-oh D: D: D:.

Chimera: Well it is a higher ranked spell, so of course it's stronger than Hydra. A long time ago (Probably roughly early 2010), my friend told me that they were coming out with a spiritual hydra so maybe this is the one. But maybe he was just lying to get me excited...

Gnomes!: This is my main wizard's spell and I personally like it. It's like a life wizard's friend and enemy at the same time because how it's your friend is because it's your strongest spell if you're life, but how it's your enemy is that it puts a life dispel on you. Not only one, worse than that, two. I'm not complaining, just pointing that out.

Those were my responses to your thoughts on your spells.

Caroline Sunbright level 70 life

Illuminator
Feb 09, 2009
Rihanna12 wrote:
Wooly Mammoth: What's wrong with the snowman being there? How does it ruin EVERYTHING? And it does stun for one round, so that should be good.

I thought Woolly Mammoth was a truly epic spell, but I felt they ruined it by trying to make it funny with the herd running over an Evil Snowman. It turned a great Rank 9 spell into Ice Age, a movie I didn't care for.

Sirens: I didn't know that they MEANT to make it look like Ariel and her sisters (Unless they did o:). You kinda scared me with the part, "Since when was Wizard101 sponsored by Disney?". Well it's more like, "Since when did Ariel and her sisters sing to lure people?". But if it is supposed to be like Disney, then uh-oh D: D: D:.

Well technically Ariel's voice did have a part in Eric's infatuation (even if her voice isn't in her body for a good portion of the movie), so...yeah. Anyway, part of me wonders how on earth KI couldn't have seen how similar Sirens looks to The Little Mermaid. Have they ever seen the movie? Do they watch TV? Do they have children? Oh well; accident or not, I think it's the worst spell in the bunch.

Chimera: Well it is a higher ranked spell, so of course it's stronger than Hydra. A long time ago (Probably roughly early 2010), my friend told me that they were coming out with a spiritual hydra so maybe this is the one. But maybe he was just lying to get me excited...

I doubt this was planned all the way back in 2010 and only just incorporated into the game, but I could be wrong. Anyway, it just annoys me that it's so different from Hydra. I feel they should've been on the same level and that we should've had to do some crazy quest to get them both. Instead, they're four whole ranks apart. It also doesn't make sense to me why we even have Chimera in the first place. I know Balance draws its power from of all the schools (hence our many minions, healing spells, and donating power); however, Krokotopia only has the three Orders, so it seems strange that Balance would have the power to attack with Spiritual schools. You can argue that magic evolves, and that even though the Balance school is located in a giant hole in the ground, Alhazred does travel the Spiral when we're not looking, but I still miss the idea of Balance only having Elemental attacks. I'd rather have gotten a stronger Elemental attack if anything. I hope we get that next time.

Gnomes!: This is my main wizard's spell and I personally like it. It's like a life wizard's friend and enemy at the same time because how it's your friend is because it's your strongest spell if you're life, but how it's your enemy is that it puts a life dispel on you. Not only one, worse than that, two. I'm not complaining, just pointing that out.

It puts a dispel on the caster?! That is just all kinds of wrong. I don't care how strong the spell is; there's no way I'm using it.

Armiger
May 10, 2010
Gnome spell does not put a life dispel on the caster, it puts 2 life dispels on whom ever is on the receiving end of the spell.

For some odd reason, don't know why, but I feel that some of you need a cookie... I am out of cheese! Will a whambulance do?

Mastermind
Jul 25, 2010
Honestly on my opinion some of the level 58 spells looked cooler then the level 68 spells

Squire
Dec 21, 2008
AkihiroHattori5 wrote:
Rihanna12 wrote:

I thought Woolly Mammoth was a truly epic spell, but I felt they ruined it by trying to make it funny with the herd running over an Evil Snowman. It turned a great Rank 9 spell into Ice Age, a movie I didn't care for.

Well technically Ariel's voice did have a part in Eric's infatuation (even if her voice isn't in her body for a good portion of the movie), so...yeah. Anyway, part of me wonders how on earth KI couldn't have seen how similar Sirens looks to The Little Mermaid. Have they ever seen the movie? Do they watch TV? Do they have children? Oh well; accident or not, I think it's the worst spell in the bunch.

I doubt this was planned all the way back in 2010 and only just incorporated into the game, but I could be wrong. Anyway, it just annoys me that it's so different from Hydra. I feel they should've been on the same level and that we should've had to do some crazy quest to get them both. Instead, they're four whole ranks apart. It also doesn't make sense to me why we even have Chimera in the first place. I know Balance draws its power from of all the schools (hence our many minions, healing spells, and donating power); however, Krokotopia only has the three Orders, so it seems strange that Balance would have the power to attack with Spiritual schools. You can argue that magic evolves, and that even though the Balance school is located in a giant hole in the ground, Alhazred does travel the Spiral when we're not looking, but I still miss the idea of Balance only having Elemental attacks. I'd rather have gotten a stronger Elemental attack if anything. I hope we get that next time.

It puts a dispel on the caster?! That is just all kinds of wrong. I don't care how strong the spell is; there's no way I'm using it.

I wasn't saying it put a dispel on the caster. I was saying it put it on the enemy

Survivor
Oct 24, 2010
Hi AkihiroHattori5- Just wanted to say I agree with & really enjoyed reading your well-thought out, mature view and description of these spells! Bravo!
To the complainers- Nothing in life is BLACK & WHITE! A movie isnt just AWESOME or BAD that's why many watch critique/review shows like Ebert & the other guy.
Totally agree the goofy spells should remain at low levels. I'm no gore lover and dont think kids need to see Resident Evil type stuff either. All points and numbers aside-looking at design alone i agree & find it bizarre if others dont "get it" about the Disney looking sirens. I get impatient at times with everyone saving up pips just to cast a silly looking Volcano or the Disney Band (lol)! I have Level 70 storm & fire & i rarely use either of those spells when Tempest(or Lord) with Gargantuan is huge hit even with blade & half the pips. And dragon with Gargantuan & blade is always enough.

Again- Bravo! I appreciate a well written critique!
Autumn

Illuminator
Feb 09, 2009
shael1999 wrote:
Hi AkihiroHattori5- Just wanted to say I agree with & really enjoyed reading your well-thought out, mature view and description of these spells! Bravo!
To the complainers- Nothing in life is BLACK & WHITE! A movie isnt just AWESOME or BAD that's why many watch critique/review shows like Ebert & the other guy.
Totally agree the goofy spells should remain at low levels. I'm no gore lover and dont think kids need to see Resident Evil type stuff either. All points and numbers aside-looking at design alone i agree & find it bizarre if others dont "get it" about the Disney looking sirens. I get impatient at times with everyone saving up pips just to cast a silly looking Volcano or the Disney Band (lol)! I have Level 70 storm & fire & i rarely use either of those spells when Tempest(or Lord) with Gargantuan is huge hit even with blade & half the pips. And dragon with Gargantuan & blade is always enough.

Again- Bravo! I appreciate a well written critique!
Autumn

I was starting to wonder, with all the negativity this thread has garnered, if it was even worth giving KI my honest, unbiased opinion. Thank you so much for this.

Hero
Sep 08, 2008
AkihiroHattori5 wrote:
Shiningfantasia wrote:

"Exotic"? They're on almost every lawn here in suburbia, so please explain. As for its obvious Life quality...eh, I'll give you that. Still, I can't stand it. The only reason my Theurgist would ever use it is for the fact that it's a great single-hitter, and I don't even think that's necessary. All my Sorcerer has been using in Zafaria is Ra and Power Nova. I've hardly used Hydra, and Judgment might as well not even be in my deck.

By "exotic" I meant more along the lines of a unique life spell. No other life spell looks like a garden gnome except Gnomes! XD