Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

My Thoughts on the Rank 9 Spells

AuthorMessage
Illuminator
Feb 09, 2009
I thought since I usually critique spell ideas, I might as well critique these too.

Rain of Fire: The spell has its strengths and weaknesses. The stats of Rain of Fire are what make the spell almost too good. Its total damage being well over 1000 irks me ever so slightly. I don't know why; it may be because of Storm's spell, but I'm not exactly sure. When I'm able to get over my strange disdain for the spells damage, I'm okay with it. I only say "okay" because I didn't care for the animation. It came off really slapstick to me with the platypus natives being blown out of the way by this giant volcano. What disappointed me the most was the action of the rain of fire. It just looked so...awful, with the terrible curve in the fumes coming from the volcanic mouth forming the ash cloud that rained the fire at the most awkward angle possible. It was painful to realize that this was a DoT and that I'd have to sit through this animation up to four times. I just feel like you could've taken this beaten to death idea of a volcanic eruption and make it so much more than what I got. I can understand it though; I would've done anything to stop people from submitting Fire spell ideas for volcanic eruptions.

Woolly Mammoth: I'm kinda in a similar situation with Woolly Mammoth as I was with Rain of Fire. The damage and effect was great and I love that Thaumaturges are finally getting powerfully-based, non-DoT spells; however, the concept is what annoyed me. Out of all the ideas people have presented, you decided to go with this frostbitten woolly mammoth? The animation was actually pretty cool, but the beginning made me facedesk. Why?! Why the snowman?! It ruined the entire animation.

Sirens: This...was...a train wreck. The damage and effects were just sad. An A for trying something different, but this did not work. It's not even that the attack is pretty weak and out of place when you compare it to other Storm spells; it's the fact that the effects aren't terribly useful or appropriate for Storm. The animation almost made me cry, it was so bad. Since when was Wizard101 sponsored by Disney? 'Cause all I saw was Ariel and her sisters. Sirens was the biggest disappointment to me out of all the spells in any rank.

Chimera: I liked Chimera for the most part; there are just two small things that grind my gears about this attack. First, why are we getting this now? We should've gotten this attack eons ago. Getting Chimera now is just random and makes Alhazred look senile and terribly disorganized. Also, why is Chimera stronger than Hydra? From my perspective, I see the Elemental schools as stronger, while the Spiritual schools are more durable and versatile, which is why it was quite confusing for me to see that Chimera was 4 ranks stronger than Hydra. Second, I was kinda disappointed that Chimera was this part lion, part ram, part dragon creature instead of part lion, part ram/goat, part serpent. I was picturing something along the lines of the God of War II (or III? I forget) interpretation of Chimeras, but it turned out to be just some weird Spiritual version of Hydra. Anyway, I liked the animation and how each head had a different way of attacking, unlike Hydra.

Gnomes!: I've shared my opinion on this already, but I thought I'd echo it just in case. Most of the Life spells are very non-threatening and somewhat goofy. We did get somewhere with Forest Lord, this ferocious beast that instilled fear in anyone on the dealing end of the spell. Seeing Forest Lord made me anticipate the Rank 9 Life spell...and I was bitterly disappointed. Gnomes? Really? The only thing that saves this attack is its stats. Seeing that Gnomes! is a single attack spell that does more than reasonable damage made me happy; however, seeing the lackluster effect made me sad.

Basilisk: This was the best spell of the entire rank in my opinion. Great monster, love the animation, and the stats are great. I don't even care that it's a DoT; since Myth's medium is bypassing shields, that actually makes some sense. I wish I had more to say, but I don't; this he attack left me speechless (well, compared to the rest of these attacks).

Katzenstein's Monster: I actually thought this attack was awesome. The attack is just what death needs at this point in time and the monster, which I originally thought was a dud, was actually really cool. The only thing that annoyed me was the fact that I thought this was the Storm spell. I feel it would've suited Storm better and would've been a lot more original.

Overall: Honestly, even though there were some quality spells, I have to say this was the worst installment of spells so far. What disappoints me the most is how devastatingly trite the attacks were. Almost all the Rank 9 attacks have been mentioned in The Dorms countless times. It was pure fanservice which annoys me because there's an extensive list of legitimate necessities us educated fans have been asking for, and when you finally decide to listen to us for once y'all have the nerve to choose the ideas that were mentioned more times than there are stars in the universe instead of the well-thought out ones that were molded by the fans and remain popular to this...bitter, party of one? Bitter, party of one. Anyway...I still love the game, and of course this won't make me stop playing, but these attacks as a whole are so weak in every aspect compared to the ranks that came before them.

Squire
Apr 11, 2010
KAtzensteins monster, for its damage, I felt like this should have been the 8 pip spell and Skeletal dragon be the 9 pip. It's so much stronger and is a damage over time spell. But anyway, it's nice to see Death still getting the drain spells.

Isn't baasilisk just the best? That tail slam for the stun is just too cool! Of course, I'm always critical of the camera angles and felt that this one is just slightly too low to the ground, makes me feel like I'm looking up from a ditch, but to see it crawl and turn around toward the enemy, you can almost feel the weight in basilisk as its walking, it's fantastic.

Hero
Jun 08, 2009
I have to disagree with you on Sirens, Hattori. With a Colossal on it, I can easily deal 1715 damage to all enemies, not counting the Accuracy debuff. It saved me many a time in Zafaria, as well as in 4v4.

Illuminator
Feb 09, 2009
bionaknight wrote:
I have to disagree with you on Sirens, Hattori. With a Colossal on it, I can easily deal 1715 damage to all enemies, not counting the Accuracy debuff. It saved me many a time in Zafaria, as well as in 4v4.

The keywords here are "with a Colossal on it". That's all I'm gonna say.

Illuminator
Feb 09, 2009
CorbinW wrote:
KAtzensteins monster, for its damage, I felt like this should have been the 8 pip spell and Skeletal dragon be the 9 pip. It's so much stronger and is a damage over time spell. But anyway, it's nice to see Death still getting the drain spells.

I don't know; in my opinion, sapping health > damage over time. DoTs are very powerful of course, and can render shields and the like useless, but sapping health is stronger because not only are you sucking the life out of your opponent, but you're adding health to yourself. That's why I think it works that Dr. Katzenstein's Monster is a rank higher than Skeletal Dragon.

Isn't baasilisk just the best? That tail slam for the stun is just too cool! Of course, I'm always critical of the camera angles and felt that this one is just slightly too low to the ground, makes me feel like I'm looking up from a ditch, but to see it crawl and turn around toward the enemy, you can almost feel the weight in basilisk as its walking, it's fantastic.

I didn't really over analyze Basilisk because I was just so happy to see this diamond in the row of coal. I'll pay more attention next time I see it.

Adherent
Mar 18, 2009
I actually liked the bonuses from Sirens. It gives my Storm some survivability in group instances. Removing blades, aggro and adding the accuracy debuff helps me against the retailation those monsters are about to commit (or would have committed) against me for the big Sirens hit.

Using this in combination with a Taunting Ice wizard is amazing (PvE of course).

Hero
Jun 08, 2009
AkihiroHattori5 wrote:
bionaknight wrote:

The keywords here are "with a Colossal on it". That's all I'm gonna say.
Fair enough. By my estimate, it does about 1500 sans Colossal. Still great in my opinion. I don't come to the message boards looking to argue, but it doesn't mean I can't have an opinion.

Survivor
Feb 21, 2009
As a Transcended Death Wizard i honestly HATE Katzenstein. I found him too goofy for the death school and above all underpowered.... Sure we absorb health but it gets extremely old nonetheless all of our attacks are below 1000 except with a colossal on Katz which is 1003. I was thinking they would stick with the Death kinda thing if anything i was thinking the next spell would be Anubis or a Devil. As everyone knows as you progress through the game your armor, wands, and spells slowly get less goofy/childish. But when they brought in Katzenstein i just completely lost interest in him and refuse to even put him in my deck. If anything they could have made it a Shade or Demon or some type of shadow monster but this katzenstein ruined it for me... It would be nice to have a spell over 1000 that isnt an absorb... wait scratch that idc if its an absorb just make it over 1000 and stick with the "goth" like theme.

Blaze Stormshade
Master of Death

Mastermind
Jul 25, 2010
As you know the Morganthe arc isn't over, which gives me hope of better spells

Illuminator
Feb 09, 2009
watsupdog111 wrote:
As you know the Morganthe arc isn't over, which gives me hope of better spells

Well, of course. I know that this capital-F fizzle is not the way KI plans on ending the game with, but we probably won't see the Rank 10 spells until next year.

Illuminator
Feb 09, 2009
DarkWolfx wrote:
As a Transcended Death Wizard i honestly HATE Katzenstein. I found him too goofy for the death school and above all underpowered.... Sure we absorb health but it gets extremely old nonetheless all of our attacks are below 1000 except with a colossal on Katz which is 1003. I was thinking they would stick with the Death kinda thing if anything i was thinking the next spell would be Anubis or a Devil. As everyone knows as you progress through the game your armor, wands, and spells slowly get less goofy/childish. But when they brought in Katzenstein i just completely lost interest in him and refuse to even put him in my deck. If anything they could have made it a Shade or Demon or some type of shadow monster but this katzenstein ruined it for me... It would be nice to have a spell over 1000 that isnt an absorb... wait scratch that idc if its an absorb just make it over 1000 and stick with the "goth" like theme.

Blaze Stormshade
Master of Death

I do agree; I originally thought that this attack was a dud because of the childish focus. When I realized that KI did somewhat make it its own by making it Katzenstein's Monster, it annoyed me a little less. I can't really complain right now since the only wizard that's anywhere near the Lvl. 68 is my Sorcerer, but a lot of schools got childish and/or poorly animated attacks, so don't feel alone. Again, I do see what you mean: Scarecrow, then Skeletal Dragon, then this? Wha?!

Armiger
May 10, 2010
This is a Family Game, fun for all ages!

Not some dark sick game that has blood, guts, and gore everywhere.

The animations are great. The spells are cool. Take them in the way they are meant and dont be such a prude and you can find humor and joy in these new spells.

Illuminator
Feb 09, 2009
darthjt wrote:

The animations are great. The spells are cool. Take them in the way they are meant and dont be such a prude and you can find humor and joy in these new spells.

Half of what you just said makes no sense. I know this is a family game (and I don't know why you're patronizing me when I'm the one that usually brings this fact up), but if you haven't noticed the spells and equipment get more mature as we level. My question was why did this maturity incline come to a screeching halt and plummet with the Rank 9 spells? Was that inquiry so wrong? And in what language does that translate to "I want the game to look like Resident Evil"? Are you kidding me? You may think the spells are cool and the animations are great, but I don't. I think KI could've done much, much better. You may be easily impressed, but I'm not, and knowing what they're capable of, I expected more than what I was given. I'm not even gonna address the prude comment because you obviously don't know what 'prude' means (a tip? Stay in school), and lastly, this is Lvl. 68. The humorous spells should've stopped a long time ago.

Illuminator
Feb 09, 2009
bionaknight wrote:
Fair enough. By my estimate, it does about 1500 sans Colossal. Still great in my opinion. I don't come to the message boards looking to argue, but it doesn't mean I can't have an opinion.

Who ever said you didn't? I was just pointing out a pet peeve of mine. If you're gonna argue power, you shouldn't include enchantments, charms, or wards. I'm not too keen on including Storm boost, either.

Armiger
May 10, 2010
AkihiroHattori5 wrote:
darthjt wrote:

Half of what you just said makes no sense. I know this is a family game (and I don't know why you're patronizing me when I'm the one that usually brings this fact up), but if you haven't noticed the spells and equipment get more mature as we level. My question was why did this maturity incline come to a screeching halt and plummet with the Rank 9 spells? Was that inquiry so wrong? And in what language does that translate to "I want the game to look like Resident Evil"? Are you kidding me? You may think the spells are cool and the animations are great, but I don't. I think KI could've done much, much better. You may be easily impressed, but I'm not, and knowing what they're capable of, I expected more than what I was given. I'm not even gonna address the prude comment because you obviously don't know what 'prude' means (a tip? Stay in school), and lastly, this is Lvl. 68. The humorous spells should've stopped a long time ago.

You are saying to stay in school, yet, half of what I said makes no sense? Do you even listen to your own advice?

Now, furthermore, you are entitled to your opinion, as I am entitled to mine. Anyone that knows me, knows I am by far, easily impressed.

However, I do find humor in the Snowman being stampeeded by the Wolly Mammoths. I do like the Kat's Monster Animation. I think Sirens are wickedly cool.

Just because you don't like them, does not mean that millions upon Millions of other players don't.

Hero
Jun 08, 2009
AkihiroHattori5 wrote:
bionaknight wrote:

Who ever said you didn't? I was just pointing out a pet peeve of mine. If you're gonna argue power, you shouldn't include enchantments, charms, or wards. I'm not too keen on including Storm boost, either.
Sorry. I didn't know you were going for terms of unboosted power. A Storm with no Damage Boost or Critical Rating is as good as dead though, so the strength of a spell doesn't matter in that case. Damage Enchantments are also very popular amongst the ranks of Storm Duelists, so I don't consider it out of the norm. That's my logic. Sorry if I misunderstood.

Hero
Jun 08, 2009
darthjt wrote:

I agree. I don't mean to contradict Akihiro, I saw his response. This message goes out to those of us who, instead of enjoying a new spell and designing new strategies around it, decide that the animation looks a little to childish by giving Frankenstein a bow tie and not making the Sirens half bird, half fish, even though it is a family game.

For every update, there are 500 people who sit back and enjoy and 19,999,500 people who criticize every aspect.

Survivor
Dec 19, 2008
OK you people seriously need to settle down! This is a game! If you think its childish dont play it. Sometimes humor is good and you should just laugh at it and move on. Dont make such a big deal about one group of spells. KI works very very hard on this game, dont criticize them on every little thing.

Quinn Wildsword
Level 69 theurgist

Explorer
Sep 03, 2009
Rain of fire: Great Spell! With tc blades, tc traps, a colossal, tc wyldfire, and that could do well over 500,000 damage (it'll be great for a youtube video -), but the animation was not KI's level. For example, a snail could've outrun that lava, also I personally think that when the top of the volcano flew off, it should've hit the enemy dealing say 300 damage? Then the additional effects

Wolly Mammoth: Same thing like Rain Of Fire, but the animation was kind of odd. Because I think there should've been just one Huge mammoth rushing out at one enemy, then the effects.

Sirens: AiAiAi! The damage didn't meet up to storms usual level, the smokescreen was useless (I think they should've had the sirens give the caster a tc stormblade), and the animation wasn't horrible, but the sirens definitely need a makeover!

Basilisk: Holy Moly! This is probably one of the reasons why I see so many myths in the knight and above area, the effects and animation were great, and the stun removes any chance of triage, and if the myth has a couple spare pips, blade up for a colossal humongofrog!

Gnomes: Nothing amazing here, but nothing bad either

Chimera: Good spell and animation, but it just seems like a spirtual hydra

K's Monster: No. The animation was just really weird, and the effects of it really need a change

Thanks for reading my review!

~~~~~~Alex Soulhaven Transcended Pyromancer and PvP Knight~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Illuminator
Feb 09, 2009
darthjt wrote:
You are saying to stay in school, yet, half of what I said makes no sense? Do you even listen to your own advice?

Uh...what were you planning on accomplishing here?

Now, furthermore, you are entitled to your opinion, as I am entitled to mine. Anyone that knows me, knows I am by far, easily impressed.

What truly irks me is the fact that you're the one that tried to come at me, and now all of a sudden everyone's entitled to their own opinion? No.

However, I do find humor in the Snowman being stampeeded by the Wolly Mammoths. I do like the Kat's Monster Animation. I think Sirens are wickedly cool.

Good for you.

Just because you don't like them, does not mean that millions upon Millions of other players don't.

And your point is? I never said they should take these spells out of the game and start from scratch, did I? I just said I was disappointed by the spells. What is so terrible about that?

Armiger
May 10, 2010
AkihiroHattori5 wrote:
darthjt wrote:

Uh...what were you planning on accomplishing here?

Oh, sorry, did not realize that you would need an explanation here.

What truly irks me is the fact that you're the one that tried to come at me, and now all of a sudden everyone's entitled to their own opinion? No.

Actually, if you read the posts, I just made a statement. Yes, this statement was under your rant about this and that, but it was not directed at you. Do you have a guilty conscience?

Good for you.

Yes, it is quite good for me, thank you very much. I am sorry that you are so unhappy that you must find fault with everything, including these spells. Not sure how anyone can't like Van's Monster, or Basilisk, or Sirens, but as I said, you are entitled to your opinion, but I am sure glad you are not making this game.

And your point is? I never said they should take these spells out of the game and start from scratch, did I? I just said I was disappointed by the spells. What is so terrible about that?

Sorry you did not get exactly what you wanted or what you envisioned. We all don't get exactly what we want all of the time. It is a fact of life. The fact that you make this very long rant about the spells and expect nobody to disagree with you, that is what is so terrible about that.

Mastermind
Jul 25, 2010
"Rain of Fire: The spell has its strengths and weaknesses. The stats of Rain of Fire are what make the spell almost too good. Its total damage being well over 1000 irks me ever so slightly. I don't know why; it may be because of Storm's spell, but I'm not exactly sure. When I'm able to get over my strange disdain for the spells damage, I'm okay with it. I only say "okay" because I didn't care for the animation. It came off really slapstick to me with the platypus natives being blown out of the way by this giant volcano. What disappointed me the most was the action of the rain of fire. It just looked so...awful, with the terrible curve in the fumes coming from the volcanic mouth forming the ash cloud that rained the fire at the most awkward angle possible. It was painful to realize that this was a DoT and that I'd have to sit through this animation up to four times. I just feel like you could've taken this beaten to death idea of a volcanic eruption and make it so much more than what I got. I can understand it though; I would've done anything to stop people from submitting Fire spell ideas for volcanic eruptions". Akihiro@ The part about "with the terrible curve in the fumes coming from the volcanic mouth forming the ash cloud that rained the fire at the most awkward angle possible". It's only an online game i would highly doubt Ki would make the graphics better, i do admit the graphics aren't great but the game is only for pc, laptops, etc. Not PS3 or Xbox, so you shouldn't be surprised if it lacks quality.

Survivor
Jan 23, 2011
I agree with you on everything you said except for a few things. One to be all fair to the storm spell, ya it looks kind of silly (wish their song was actual like a sirens call instead of a bunch of wailing) and it's stats are kind of bad, but does storm really need a higher hit spell? I have a friend that can defeat any boss he wants quicker then I can blink. Also, I like the Ice spell, I thought it looked really awesome and also ya the Life one is kind of funny but I think the idea with that spell was making somthing that's not threatening and making it threatening. I mean it's a Life spell and what about "Life" is threatening? I personally wasn't to happy when I heard that the Death school's new spell was Frankenstein, I was like, "You got to be kidding me, lame much?" And it kind of is, but it surprise me with the stats so I kind of like it, I guess. O and yes I thought it was going to be the Storm spell to, I'm so glad to hear I'm not the only one who thought that. Balance spell is great in my opinion, but my Balance friend complains about how short the cutscene is (Actual I like them short, I'd like to see the Death spell's cutscene shorter myself but that's just my opinion...) Now the fire spell ya it was awful. I'm sorry, but really? Kingsisle? I know you guys could have done better then that. I know Fire seems to be the school that Kingsisle likes the least but still, why does it have to be that bad? I hope they have something special plan for the next spell for Fire wizards or they are going to have a lot of unhappy wizards out there.

Illuminator
Feb 09, 2009
watsupdog111 wrote:
@Akihiro: The part about "with the terrible curve in the fumes coming from the volcanic mouth forming the ash cloud that rained the fire at the most awkward angle possible". It's only an online game i would highly doubt Ki would make the graphics better, i do admit the graphics aren't great but the game is only for pc, laptops, etc. Not PS3 or Xbox, so you shouldn't be surprised if it lacks quality.

I'm basing my views on what I've seen from them in the past. I know that this is an MMORPG, but that doesn't really justify Rain of Fire looking like a 5th grade volcano science project. If all the attacks had the same quality as Rain of Fire, Forest Lord would look like a terrier, Fire Dragon would look like a lizard, and Power Nova would look like a sparkler.

Mastermind
Jul 25, 2010
AkihiroHattori5 wrote:
watsupdog111 wrote:
@Akihiro: The part about "with the terrible curve in the fumes coming from the volcanic mouth forming the ash cloud that rained the fire at the most awkward angle possible". It's only an online game i would highly doubt Ki would make the graphics better, i do admit the graphics aren't great but the game is only for pc, laptops, etc. Not PS3 or Xbox, so you shouldn't be surprised if it lacks quality.

I'm basing my views on what I've seen from them in the past. I know that this is an MMORPG, but that doesn't really justify Rain of Fire looking like a 5th grade volcano science project. If all the attacks had the same quality as Rain of Fire, Forest Lord would look like a terrier, Fire Dragon would look like a lizard, and Power Nova would look like a sparkler.
I hope Ki will improve some animations but you gotta see the other side of the story, kids think these spells are awesome and cool. But that saddens me that there trying to appeal to kids more then other groups of ages, not meaning i want guts popping out just a little more action.