Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

The "Second Project"?

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Oct 23, 2009
On the KI website it says they're making a new game. This saddens me because I love Wizard101, but honestly, I don't think they're going to do more, as the game has 70 levels, 9 worlds, already 9 pip spells, like what else could they do? So W101 is maybe coming to an end after Zafaria has settled in and been around for a while, and everyone has completed the game once again. So if there's a new game, which to play? I've already invested a lot of money in this game with membership and crowns, as I just spent $80 for the 90,000 crowns deal. I don't know if I want to pick between the games because I, with many other potential players of a second game, don't want to pay for both. It's they're company, so they can obviously do what they want, but I still disagree with making a second game because it just takes away from an award winning game that's still super popular after about 3 years (or however long?). I don't want to see the "downfall" of this game. So finally, as I want them to keep adding to W101, there's really not much more they can do, but I don't want it to just come to a stop. I have mixed feelings about this "second project."

Post your opinions please.

~~Brian IceBreeze, Level 52 Grandmaster Thaumaturge~~

Mastermind
Jul 25, 2010
Archon
Oct 24, 2010
Brian0524 wrote:
On the KI website it says they're making a new game. This saddens me because I love Wizard101, but honestly, I don't think they're going to do more, as the game has 70 levels, 9 worlds, already 9 pip spells, like what else could they do? So W101 is maybe coming to an end after Zafaria has settled in and been around for a while, and everyone has completed the game once again. So if there's a new game, which to play? I've already invested a lot of money in this game with membership and crowns, as I just spent $80 for the 90,000 crowns deal. I don't know if I want to pick between the games because I, with many other potential players of a second game, don't want to pay for both. It's they're company, so they can obviously do what they want, but I still disagree with making a second game because it just takes away from an award winning game that's still super popular after about 3 years (or however long?). I don't want to see the "downfall" of this game. So finally, as I want them to keep adding to W101, there's really not much more they can do, but I don't want it to just come to a stop. I have mixed feelings about this "second project."

You may want to check out the latest Feedback Friday. Wizard101 isn't going anywhere. There's nothing that says a company can't produce more than one game. Relax and enjoy. :-)

Mastermind
Sep 11, 2010
Well, that "second project" has been in the works without any update for a year now.

Also, just because they release another game, doesn't mean that Wizard101 will stop being updated. What'll happen is most likely just that Kingsisle will hire a lot of new people to help work on the new game, so they can manage both without a loss of quality.

It's quite common, really. Lots and lots and LOTS of game developers run two, three or more MMOs at the same time.

Defender
Jun 14, 2010
There's no need to be worried.
First of all, Wizard101 is far from over. If anything its just begining.
Remember, in Zafaria we didnt actually defeat Morganthe. We just delayed her, that's all.
She is still out there.. still plotting.
Believe me, Zafaria is NOT the end of W101.
There will be more worlds, more spells.
Why would KI stop this game and hurt their revenue? Not gonna happen.

As far as this so-called '2nd project' goes, in all honestly it likely doesnt even exist!
That second project announcement has been on their website since like 2009. Not once has their ever been any mention of it, or even the slightest reference.

I've never seen a game company be so silent about an upcoming tittle.
I feel like I might need to check WikiLeaks soon since KI is treating it like a top secret military project.

Adherent
Mar 18, 2009
All major MMO companies have more than one game. It's provides insurance for income when MMO's begin to "expire." Both Blizzard and SOE have multiple titles, KI is one of the newest companies out there and the only reason they don't have more titles to date.

The "second project" will likely have very little impact to Wizard101, since making a game just like it only "reallocates" the same paying customers. It is more likely that the second project is not a fantasy MMO, but rather a Sci-Fi, Learning, etc. Doubtful KI would create a first person shooter or similar game given their dedication to family friendly content.

The second project would be to attract players from other genres that are currently playing with other companies, not from their own.

Archon
Feb 07, 2011
Brian0524 wrote:

Just because there might be a second game doesn't mean that this one is over- if you think about it, the companies that created SWTOR and WoW have several successful games under their belts, so why can't the same be true for KI?

Like you, I have put a lot of time and money into this game (I have bought crowns a number of times and have 1-year subs on 2 of my 3 accounts) and don't want to see it end. But game-makers know that, in order to be successful, their games need to keep evolving... if this game ended, then KI would probably lose a lot of their paying members. So, I don't think that's the case at all.

L.S.
Master of Balance

Survivor
Oct 23, 2009
It's not that it can't produce more than one, it's just like as there's not much more they can add to W101, unless they do keep going going up, people would finish the game. Then more and more people would get bored and stop playing because they are no more updates and nothing left to do.

Adherent
Mar 18, 2009
Brian0524 wrote:
It's not that it can't produce more than one, it's just like as there's not much more they can add to W101, unless they do keep going going up, people would finish the game. Then more and more people would get bored and stop playing because they are no more updates and nothing left to do.

A second project means they hire an entire new team to work the development and maintainence. They might shift personnel between the two teams, but the Wizard101 folks would not work on both at the same time.

Hero
Jun 08, 2009
watsupdog111 wrote:
I would wonder how they will manage two online games at the same time.
A ton of other games manage it, it can't be too hard if they have seperate teams. And to the original poster, since they left us on a storyline cliffhanger, I think Wizard101 will be around for a very, veeeeery long time. :-D

Squire
Jun 19, 2009
My geuss is KI already has a second team working on the second game considering that's been up since 2009. Wizard101 was in developement years before notice because it takes so long to start it off.

Defender
Apr 24, 2011
Bookshelvings wrote:
Well, that "second project" has been in the works without any update for a year now.

Also, just because they release another game, doesn't mean that Wizard101 will stop being updated. What'll happen is most likely just that Kingsisle will hire a lot of new people to help work on the new game, so they can manage both without a loss of quality.

It's quite common, really. Lots and lots and LOTS of game developers run two, three or more MMOs at the same time.

Just look Disneys games they have club penguin, toontown, and pirates of the caribbean and all of those games are being updated just fine

Survivor
Dec 18, 2011
Hero
Jun 08, 2009
mahill2 wrote:
I just hope this does not turn into the EQ I vs. EQ II debacle. :?
I doubt it will happen, unless it turns out to be W101 2: The Enchanted College lol.

Defender
Jul 12, 2009
animal kingdom type game? instead of a school you have an animal? I'm not good at guessing lol or more of a paranormal rather than wizards like you have more specific powers idol i just was thinking id like to be a fairy rather than summon one to do the magic...
i just really want them to release what its about... i think dedicated wizards should get a discount on whatever their form of crowns is lol

Defender
Jul 12, 2009
bionaknight wrote:
mahill2 wrote:
I doubt it will happen, unless it turns out to be W101 2: The Enchanted College lol.

wouldn't it be wizard102?

Defender
Feb 12, 2011
magicintheair wrote:
bionaknight wrote:
mahill2 wrote:

Very good, young wizard!

Hero
Jun 08, 2009
AmericanHappy wrote:
magicintheair wrote:
bionaknight wrote:
mahill2 wrote:

Very good, young wizard!
Lol, yeah, point taken. I wasn't sure what the right number was, so I made up a name with magic and college lol.

Explorer
Jan 22, 2011
Are you kiddin' wizzy101 is barely at start!ICalculated and the max lvl will be 140 with 14 rank spells and it can't end since Morganthe(duuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuh,lol)barely at her first start of the prophecy.

Survivor
Dec 25, 2011
I think that they should make a level max of 150 and like at least 8 more worlds more spells more astral spells and finnaly defeat Morganthe in battle at the final world. P.S. One new world for every ten levels. One more thing they should make Krokotopia open for free players and the rest of Wizard City open too. Balance wizards are wizards too they need to see all there spells without having to watch videos on Youtube.

Steven Pearlgem level 34 Death

Hero
Jun 08, 2009
mariogabriele3 wrote:
I think that they should make a level max of 150 and like at least 8 more worlds more spells more astral spells and finnaly defeat Morganthe in battle at the final world. P.S. One new world for every ten levels. One more thing they should make Krokotopia open for free players and the rest of Wizard City open too. Balance wizards are wizards too they need to see all there spells without having to watch videos on Youtube.

Steven Pearlgem level 34 Death
Um, kind of unrelated. You might want to make a seperate thread. Also, I find it reasonable that the first world is the only one free, they can drag in more subscribers that way :-D

Hero
Jan 24, 2010
kingurz wrote:
Brian0524 wrote:

A second project means they hire an entire new team to work the development and maintainence. They might shift personnel between the two teams, but the Wizard101 folks would not work on both at the same time.

Yes, and they have been hiring frequently as of late. Check the Wizard 101 page on FB for those postings. I see them every month or so. Looks like they're busy with building a good team for something or other.

LOL, too bad my profession led me to master text rather than code I wanna work for KI when I "grow up" ;)

Regards,

Queenlybluebean

Defender
Dec 25, 2008
This has been on the website for a long time now. I am hoping that they can at least gt a beta for it. Who knows, KI has a lit on there hands

Sean Fireblood lvl 70 fire

See you In the spiral!

Armiger
Feb 25, 2009
The "Second Project" has nothing to do with the ending of Wizard101.
Wizard101 is still in it's Infancy. It is conceivable that there will be MANY, MANY more worlds added with new bosses to have to travel the Spiral to find and defeat. Worry not young wizard, the end is a long way off in my opinion. KI has done an awesome job with this game and I don't think they are going to just dump it. This game is expanding around the world like a wildfire and has exceeded 25 million players.

If you will check out KingsIsle facebook page, you will see that they have been hiring for the new Family oriented game for the past few months. It takes time to get the ideas into play and having the right staff to put it to work.

Just don't get upset, just slow down and enjoy the game. It will be here for a long time.

Defender
Dec 25, 2008
goldendragon18 wrote:
The "Second Project" has nothing to do with the ending of Wizard101.
Wizard101 is still in it's Infancy. It is conceivable that there will be MANY, MANY more worlds added with new bosses to have to travel the Spiral to find and defeat. Worry not young wizard, the end is a long way off in my opinion. KI has done an awesome job with this game and I don't think they are going to just dump it. This game is expanding around the world like a wildfire and has exceeded 25 million players.

If you will check out KingsIsle facebook page, you will see that they have been hiring for the new Family oriented game for the past few months. It takes time to get the ideas into play and having the right staff to put it to work.

Just don't get upset, just slow down and enjoy the game. It will be here for a long time.

Very much agreed. Although I do think less people will play wiz because of this new game this by no means will result in an end to w101. I look forward to switching between the games depending on which I like more.

Sean Fireblood lvl 70 fire

See you in the spiral!