Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Low level PVP

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Dec 05, 2009
K, so I have a level 5 myth PVP Knight, now most of my battles are easy with my hybrid stormzilla pet, and the occasional treasure card. So most of my ranking up is easy, BUT it seems that as soon as i am close to getting to the next rank i have to face some level 16 private. so not only do i have to beat some one 3X my level my rank drops like 22 points. i understand its a bit much for me to try and get to a commander rank at level 5. But i do think that either their should be a cap in the level of someone you have to face, example a level fifth should at the most have to face a level 9. This way players do not have to end up in some next to imposable battle with someone that has spells twice as strong as yours. I know i am going to get a bunch of people saying that it is possable, and tell stories about theirs. BUT just because it is possable it DOES NOT make it fair.
Also ranking could be based on level so that level 5 PVPers dont have to do like 4 more battles to get back their rank because they had to face some lucky private guy who is twice the knights level.

Squire
Jan 05, 2010
So you accept the challenge of fighting at lvl 5 but you don't accept the challenge of a fair and balanced point and matching system? The system is designed to match you with higher levels as your rank goes up, this way you won't be waiting 2 hours to fight another lvl 5 of equal rank. You know low level pvp isn't for everyone, most people just quit or come here complaining about how hard it is... Yes I play low and yes most if my initiates are 1000+, this is a result of training, card preparation and strategy. Complaining is not a winning strategy. Try playing at lvl 70 where all fights are equal level and rank and let me know how it works out for you.

Adherent
Mar 18, 2009
Mageazelf wrote:
K, so I have a level 5 myth PVP Knight, now most of my battles are easy with my hybrid stormzilla pet, and the occasional treasure card. So most of my ranking up is easy, BUT it seems that as soon as i am close to getting to the next rank i have to face some level 16 private. so not only do i have to beat some one 3X my level my rank drops like 22 points. i understand its a bit much for me to try and get to a commander rank at level 5. But i do think that either their should be a cap in the level of someone you have to face, example a level fifth should at the most have to face a level 9. This way players do not have to end up in some next to imposable battle with someone that has spells twice as strong as yours. I know i am going to get a bunch of people saying that it is possable, and tell stories about theirs. BUT just because it is possable it DOES NOT make it fair.
Also ranking could be based on level so that level 5 PVPers dont have to do like 4 more battles to get back their rank because they had to face some lucky private guy who is twice the knights level.

So you want to keep fighting level 10 and below so you can keep using a level 42 spell on them? Just remember, there are just as many players out there complaining about the players that use item card and treasure spells four times their level and call that "no fair" too.

Besides increasing the total number of available PvP players, KI's PvP system also ensures that players who dominate at their own level range are bumped up occasionally to fight players who have access to more base health and larger spell selection.

Let's face it, KI's PvP system strongly encourages players to reach max level.

I'm all about fairness, but putting a level cap just so other players can use spells above that level cap via pets or treasures doesn't seem right. Yes, I've heard the arguments that all players have access to treasure cards and awesome pets. However, all players also have access to all the levels too (so only complaining about one aspect to suit your play style doesn't make it right for everyone). So if your current level isn't cutting it, maybe some more leveling is in store?

A level cap should be a total level cap, both in terms of gear and spells (item and treasure).

Champion
Jul 30, 2010
travisAk wrote:
So you accept the challenge of fighting at lvl 5 but you don't accept the challenge of a fair and balanced point and matching system? The system is designed to match you with higher levels as your rank goes up, this way you won't be waiting 2 hours to fight another lvl 5 of equal rank. You know low level pvp isn't for everyone, most people just quit or come here complaining about how hard it is... Yes I play low and yes most if my initiates are 1000+, this is a result of training, card preparation and strategy. Complaining is not a winning strategy. Try playing at lvl 70 where all fights are equal level and rank and let me know how it works out for you.
exactly.

Survivor
Dec 05, 2009
You all raise a valid point, AND i have been pwning people 3 times my level, But if what you say is true will i be facing like adepts once i become my next rank?(Commander)

Survivor
Dec 28, 2010
Hello there i am lvl 5 Warlord ;). Well wait till get to Warlord talk about unfair try face life wizard lvl 24. This is Unfair play by far lose 25 ,22 points.
So i just stop pvp wizard will never fix pvp i dont pvp any more have 2 overlords. They just dont care about pvp wizard will never put lvl cap on it.
Dont worry more more poeple leave this game do to the unfair play.

Kelly NightEyes LVL5 Warlord 87-6 ;)

Explorer
Jan 07, 2010
travisAk wrote:

The match up system is by NO means fair at all, regardless of what people say. I have a level 9 commander who does pretty well, but cannot seem to keep commander, I will rank up then down many many points and take days/weeks to rank up again. The system constantly and continuously matches me up against wizards level 25+ whose rank are equal or exceed my own. How is that fair? It may be fair to them but not to me as even my rank 9 who may be commander has am impossible task at beating a level 26-33 commander/warlord with full gear with my regular gear, smaller deck size, with useless spells in regular deck and a very limited side deck compared to theirs. It is NOT a fair match in anyway, and those who say it is are the ones playing on the other side who get these matches.

I do not understand why KI matches this way, when I know for a fact that there are at least 2 other wizards if not more waiting for matches who are within my level and appropriate rank! Those should be my matches which would be fair and more even in the matches. But instead we each get matched up against those who levels and ranks far outstrip ours.

We wizards who agree with what I am saying are not asking for 'easy' matches, just FAIR ones, especially when there are friends in the queue who are more equal in the match and would make a better opponent and a much more fun and fair battle.

Adherent
Mar 18, 2009
EvilDroid wrote:
I do not understand why KI matches this way, when I know for a fact that there are at least 2 other wizards if not more waiting for matches who are within my level and appropriate rank! Those should be my matches which would be fair and more even in the matches. But instead we each get matched up against those who levels and ranks far outstrip ours.

If those two other wizards happen to be a match with themselves, then that means you draw the short stick and have to face the higher level opponent. Especially if they are privates and you are commander (as they are more likely to get matched up). The PvP arena works just like the Bazaar, it draws from all servers. And just like buying an item in the Bazaar if your one click too slow (all the other level 10 wizards are in a duel or not on), you don't get the preferred match. You get whatever is left. KI's system chooses the ability to have a PvP match over the fairness in levels.

While the system creates imbalances in levels it also provides good things like:

Preventing the same level 10 Warlord from dominating the seven other level 10 privates, continously getting a rank up from beating them over and over because they are all level capped with the same player. Or prevents the same two level 5 players from facing each other in consecutive duels during the late hours when the total population is lower.

It also prevents a level 30 player from sitting in queue for hours waiting on another level 30 player to join, if there are no other level 30s on at that time. If you don't believe me, try Pet Derby with an Epic pet sometimes. Most would love just to have a chance at losing, rather than sitting in queue all day.

Remember, you can't accumlate arena tickets if you don't get a match. Level capping creates the possibility you might not get a match.

The only fairness you will find in KI's current system is at level 68+.

Explorer
Jan 07, 2010
kingurz wrote:
EvilDroid wrote:

If those two other wizards happen to be a match with themselves, then that means you draw the short stick and have to face the higher level opponent. Especially if they are privates and you are commander (as they are more likely to get matched up). The PvP arena works just like the Bazaar, it draws from all servers. And just like buying an item in the Bazaar if your one click too slow (all the other level 10 wizards are in a duel or not on), you don't get the preferred match. You get whatever is left. KI's system chooses the ability to have a PvP match over the fairness in levels.

While the system creates imbalances in levels it also provides good things like:

Preventing the same level 10 Warlord from dominating the seven other level 10 privates, continously getting a rank up from beating them over and over because they are all level capped with the same player. Or prevents the same two level 5 players from facing each other in consecutive duels during the late hours when the total population is lower.

It also prevents a level 30 player from sitting in queue for hours waiting on another level 30 player to join, if there are no other level 30s on at that time. If you don't believe me, try Pet Derby with an Epic pet sometimes. Most would love just to have a chance at losing, rather than sitting in queue all day.

Remember, you can't accumlate arena tickets if you don't get a match. Level capping creates the possibility you might not get a match.

The only fairness you will find in KI's current system is at level 68+.

There were 6 of us who regularly play ranked pvp all between levels 9 and 22, with ranks of vet, captain, & commander. We were all in the queue at the same time, but none of us had fair matches and that is what I am stateing. KI system should have tried to match some of us together as our ranks were comparable, the levels where within an acceptable range and the matches would have been fun and fair, but instead we all get matched with the heavily geared warlords who were levels 25 to 33. That is what I am saying is wrong with the system. I know for a fact the system had available and appropriate players for my match. Why does the system favor making the matches in the higher ranks favor? Why would they not match up the warlords and match us friends up together? Again, that is the problem. I am no saying that on low volume days that bad matches wouldn't happen, but that should be the exception not the rule.

Explorer
Jan 07, 2010
Mageazelf wrote:
You all raise a valid point, AND i have been pwning people 3 times my level, But if what you say is true will i be facing like adepts once i become my next rank?(Commander)

Yes, you most likely will get matched up with adepts and higher. My level 25 warlord consistantly was matched up against legendary's and grandmasters. Which is why she doesn't pvp anymore and is in the process of leveling up to transcended.

Adherent
Mar 18, 2009
EvilDroid wrote:
There were 6 of us who regularly play ranked pvp all between levels 9 and 22, with ranks of vet, captain, & commander. We were all in the queue at the same time, but none of us had fair matches and that is what I am stateing. KI system should have tried to match some of us together as our ranks were comparable, the levels where within an acceptable range and the matches would have been fun and fair, but instead we all get matched with the heavily geared warlords who were levels 25 to 33. That is what I am saying is wrong with the system. I know for a fact the system had available and appropriate players for my match. Why does the system favor making the matches in the higher ranks favor? Why would they not match up the warlords and match us friends up together? Again, that is the problem. I am no saying that on low volume days that bad matches wouldn't happen, but that should be the exception not the rule.

Yeah, I too don't know the metric or magic number to get more evenly matched duels, but from simply the volume of forum complaints, it seems that low to mid level Commanders/Warlords are the ones that get matched up with higher level players more often.

Survivor
Mar 13, 2011
hanable33 wrote:
travisAk wrote:
exactly.

I agree but there really is nothing fair about pvp. I have a level 68 storm and started a new life wizard to see if I could rank up in pvp. And guess what?! Those kids are using spells that I couldn't get a hold of until I was level 50+ and I don't even know how they could buy them at such a low level. Bottom line is that obviously people who have $ have higher pvp rating b/c there is no way of doing it other than to buy your way up.

Squire
Jan 05, 2010
jrlmessenger wrote:
hanable33 wrote:
travisAk wrote:
exactly.

I agree but there really is nothing fair about pvp. I have a level 68 storm and started a new life wizard to see if I could rank up in pvp. And guess what?! Those kids are using spells that I couldn't get a hold of until I was level 50+ and I don't even know how they could buy them at such a low level. Bottom line is that obviously people who have $ have higher pvp rating b/c there is no way of doing it other than to buy your way up.
Treasure cards can be bought with gold, farmed, grown from plants or crafted. Any wizard of any level can obtain these cards you speak of making it equal and fair. it's all about preparation, doing everything you can before a match to give you a better chance to win. Pet Training, deck preparation, gear selection and training point distribution beforehand usually separates the winners from the losers? How bad do you want it?

Survivor
Jun 10, 2010
Mageazelf wrote:
hi my name is jeffrey stormrider 70 storm jeffrey frogbreath 70 myth and jeffrey ice blade 50 ice and jeffrey sand storm 70 balance their is a possible way to be a 16 at lvl 5 cause if your good enough to get that high you can beat a lvl 16

Survivor
Dec 22, 2008
This is a bit of an old post. But I decided to conduct a little experiment. I bought crown gear for my lvl 5 ice, and spent about 5 straight hours pvp'ing on him. I am currently 25 Win 3 Lose, at 737 PvP Ranking (Captain). I have fought a level 30, 23, 22 and 17, and won against them. Friended them all and looked at their stats. They all had better stats than me and they were all above sergeant.

My point is, it's fairly hard and sometimes even easy to win against a higher level, but possable and possible.