Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

A Wysteria Compromise

AuthorMessage
Hero
Jun 08, 2009
Hey, Paul Stormglade here. There's been a lot of talk about the ability to study Wysterian magic. Some of us would like to do things like make Pigswick Wizards, study Wysterian Magic, and there's a thread now about a Wysterian college! The others would like things to stay as the status quo they are. I am proposing a compromise. I propose the ability to acquire Wysterian Utility Spells! These would be school restricted, and available for training from the appropriate professor. These would not be crucial to gameplay, and no damage/healing spells would be learned there. I don't have any ideas for these just yet, but if my fellow wizards would come up with a few and post them in this thread, i'll gladly review them, and maybe post a few of my own. Remember, the schools are Tempest, Ember, Earth, Spirit, (Forgot name of myth equivalent XD), Frost, and Equilibrium. Please make sure all schools get the same amount of strength from these new spells, no playing favorites. Feedback and ideas welcome!

Cya in the Spiral,

Paul Stormglade, Transcended Diviner

Go Sparks!

A+ Student
Mar 02, 2010
Hero
Jul 27, 2009
why would you want to attend a non accredited wizarding "college"?

if you listened to those "professors" the first time they don't really know the material to teach... and Burble is the norm.

and the sub text of that world point to cheating in order to keep the trophy in the game...

the DragonSpyre Academy is a bonified school thought tragedy has struck.
it a school of fire as well.

i would like to go beyond that portal in to the world that invaded Wysteria as a new world. i sense a tingle of Danger in the Air there.

Squire
Jan 21, 2010
lol chaos should be myth, it has the same colors... Except that the book in the death school states that necromancy magic focus on manipulating chaos, which is why the magic of death is located between ice and storm. Go into Nightside and read the book beside Dwargen. Then there is the fact that myth studies history, according to Professor Drake, studying the epics of our ancestors. On the other hand a corpse flying up out of the ground and hitting someone may be rather unexpected, dead things don't usually do that, without a necromancer nearby.
The school of spirit focuses on the ethereal world... Most of the death spells summon rather solid undead. The spirit school sounds like the astral schools to me.
The earth school almost sounds like life. Except Chester Drawers ends his introductory lecture with: All things come from the earth and all things return to it in the end. Sounds like a little bit of death school in there. I am not imagining any fairy creatures in the earth school. Elementals, colossus, and stone/plant based magic? It feels like a tanking school to me, like our ice school.

speaking of ice: The frost school is fleeting, quick, fragile, and complex. Nothing like our ice wizards who sit there and resist all kinds of punishment. Boosted spells that would knock out other schools in one shot, don't quite manage to knock out an ice wizard. So what is frost? Temporary effects, maybe buffing and debuffing? Fragile means it can't tank like ice. How does complexity fit in? Quick... maybe frost wizards can hit multiple targets faster than other wizards? more area effect spells, but less damage, than other schools? The frost symbol is also a bit complex for our wizards to stand there and draw it in the air during battle...

Equilibrium: Looks like balance, except... Equilibrium is trying to force equality. Balance is tilting things in your favor, you are changing the balance, hence the buffs and debuffs. Equilibrium favors no one the net result must be the same. People who like death's double edged spells may like equilibrium. I hit myself to hit you. I heal us both. If I blade myself, I trap myself for the same amount. Or, maybe I blade my party, but have to blade or shield all of the monsters as well. Maybe my damage spells give you a shield after I damage you.
Lots of strategy is required when all of your magic is trying to keep things equal.
Ember: the sun school? The professor says that they are focused on crafting and creating not fighting. It sounds like boosting other spells, it may even have a few healing spells... idk.
Tempest: I am not sure about the professor's, "hidden depths comment." It really looks and sounds like storm. The professor's comments suggest more durability. You can't really improve storms attack power.

The pigswick schools sound like twists on our own schools. Things our schools could have done, paths not taken. I would love to have some pigwick spells, but I don't think the pigwick schools are just our schools with different names.

Hero
Jun 08, 2009
zebulous wrote:
The pigswick schools sound like twists on our own schools. Things our schools could have done, paths not taken. I would love to have some pigwick spells, but I don't think the pigwick schools are just our schools with different names.
Well said. But to everyone who may have taken the wrong idea, I wasn't suggesting much more then some learnable utility spells via the Pigswick professors. Like, Fire could get a special blade, Ice, a new shield, etc. Hobi, if you took it the wrong way, I wasn't suggesting a college, it was another post in the forums I had commented on.

Hero
Jun 08, 2009
Sorry I forgot to include this in other post, but very interesting ideas, Zebulous. However, unless these became another set of schools ( which I would prefer not to happen) I don't see a logical way to implement it.

Defender
Oct 24, 2009
Mastermind
Sep 19, 2009
In the pigswick papers, it says that no magic is taught there; just magical theroies. Also, it said that most pigswick students never even became real wizards and I would never attend a school that had a reputation like that.

Illuminator
Feb 09, 2009
I did originally come up with a list of spells for people to be able to learn from Wysteria. I know you said "no damage/healing spells", but my original idea was that it would be cool to add attacks that are presently only available as treasure cards or with the purchase of equipment. I also am not fond of the fact that one must complete Grizzleheim and Wintertusk to get the next utility spell and revamped spell, which is why I added those in too. I'd put a link to its thread, but it's locked. Anyway, here they are:

Ember

1. Ember Bats (3 pips; 75% accuracy; 315-355)
2. Fuel (2 pips; 100% accuracy; 25% to next 3 Fire damage spells)
3. Magma Serpent (4 pips; 75% accuracy; 425 over 3 rounds)
4. Power Link (4 pips; 75% accuracy; deals 55 + 345 Fire damage over 3 rounds and gives 40 + 240 heal to self over 3 rounds)
5. Inferno Kraken (5 pips; 75% accuracy; deals 520-580)

Frost

1. Cool Cat (1 pip; 80% accuracy; deals 80-120 and +35% next Ice spell)
2. Legion Shield (1 pips; 100% accuracy; -30% to next incoming spell for all allies)
3. Polar Swarm (3 pips; 80% accuracy; deals 35+420 Ice Damage over 3 rounds)
4. Frozen Armor (X pips; 100% accuracy; Absorb 175 per pip. For self only)
5. Frost Hound (X pips; 80% accuracy; deals 105 per pip)

Tempest

1. Mist Elf (2 pips; 70% accuracy; deals 30+275 over 3 rounds)
2.Supercharge (X pips; 100% accuracy; 10% per pip to next Storm damage spell. For self only)
3. Tornado* (3 pips; 70% accuracy; deals 395-415 to all enemies)
4. Insane Bolt (2 pips; 70% accuracy; deals 1000 Moon damage to opponent or 10000 Moon Damage to caster)
5. Thunderbird (5 pips; 70% accuracy; deals 610 and +30% to next 3 damage spells)

Equilibrium

1. Sandman (3 pips; 85% accuracy; deals 230-295 and -25% to next spell)
2. Elemental/Spiritual Defuse (3 pips; 100% accuracy; dispels next Elemental spell or Spiritual spell respectively)
3. Basilisk (4 pips; 85% accuracy; deals 145 Life, Myth, and Death damage)
4. Availing Hands (3 pips; 100% accuracy; gives 70 + 780 health over 3 rounds)
5. Jade Oni (5 pips; 85% accuracy; deals 430-510)

Earth

1. Friendly Bat (2 pips; 90% accuracy; gives 15+90 health over 3 rounds)
2. Triage (0 pips; 100% accuracy; removes one DoT marker)
3. LifeClops (3 pips; 90% accuracy; deals 240-300)
4. Brilliant Light (2 pips; 100% accuracy; +30% to next healing spells to all allies)
5. Earthwalker (4 pips; 90% accuracy; deals 420-500)

Chaos

1. Chaos Banshee (2 pips; 80% accuracy; deals 190 and stuns for 1 round)
2. Talos (5 pips; 100% accuracy; summons Talos minion)
3. Lindorm** (4 pips; 80% accuracy; deals 235-295 and Stuns for one turn)
4. Shatter (3 pips; 100% accuracy; removes all wards from target)
5. Aged Imp (5 pips; 80% accuracy; deals 325 and dispels next Life and Death spell)

Spirit

1. Death Scarab (2 pips; 85% accuracy; deals 140 and +30% to next Death spell)
2. Dark Pact (1 pip; 100% accuracy; 300 Death damage to self for +30% to next damage spell)
3. Dark Crow (3 pips; 85% accuracy; 250 and -20% to next spell)
4. Virulent Plague (3 pips; 100% accuracy; -40% to next damage spell for all enemies)
5. Deadly Minotaur (5 pips; 85% accuracy; deals 65 and 600)

*Tornado = Storm version of Sandstorm.
**Lindorm = Myth version of Ice Wyvern.

Hero
Jun 08, 2009
AkihiroHattori5 wrote:
I did originally come up with a list of spells for people to be able to learn from Wysteria. I know you said "no damage/healing spells", but my original idea was that it would be cool to add attacks that are presently only available as treasure cards or with the purchase of equipment. I also am not fond of the fact that one must complete Grizzleheim and Wintertusk to get the next utility spell and revamped spell, which is why I added those in too. I'd put a link to its thread, but it's locked. Anyway, here they are:

Ember

1. Ember Bats (3 pips; 75% accuracy; 315-355)
2. Fuel (2 pips; 100% accuracy; 25% to next 3 Fire damage spells)
3. Magma Serpent (4 pips; 75% accuracy; 425 over 3 rounds)
4. Power Link (4 pips; 75% accuracy; deals 55 + 345 Fire damage over 3 rounds and gives 40 + 240 heal to self over 3 rounds)
5. Inferno Kraken (5 pips; 75% accuracy; deals 520-580)

Frost

1. Cool Cat (1 pip; 80% accuracy; deals 80-120 and +35% next Ice spell)
2. Legion Shield (1 pips; 100% accuracy; -30% to next incoming spell for all allies)
3. Polar Swarm (3 pips; 80% accuracy; deals 35+420 Ice Damage over 3 rounds)
4. Frozen Armor (X pips; 100% accuracy; Absorb 175 per pip. For self only)
5. Frost Hound (X pips; 80% accuracy; deals 105 per pip)

Tempest

1. Mist Elf (2 pips; 70% accuracy; deals 30+275 over 3 rounds)
2.Supercharge (X pips; 100% accuracy; 10% per pip to next Storm damage spell. For self only)
3. Tornado* (3 pips; 70% accuracy; deals 395-415 to all enemies)
4. Insane Bolt (2 pips; 70% accuracy; deals 1000 Moon damage to opponent or 10000 Moon Damage to caster)
5. Thunderbird (5 pips; 70% accuracy; deals 610 and +30% to next 3 damage spells)

Equilibrium

1. Sandman (3 pips; 85% accuracy; deals 230-295 and -25% to next spell)
2. Elemental/Spiritual Defuse (3 pips; 100% accuracy; dispels next Elemental spell or Spiritual spell respectively)
3. Basilisk (4 pips; 85% accuracy; deals 145 Life, Myth, and Death damage)
4. Availing Hands (3 pips; 100% accuracy; gives 70 + 780 health over 3 rounds)
5. Jade Oni (5 pips; 85% accuracy; deals 430-510)

Earth

1. Friendly Bat (2 pips; 90% accuracy; gives 15+90 health over 3 rounds)
2. Triage (0 pips; 100% accuracy; removes one DoT marker)
3. LifeClops (3 pips; 90% accuracy; deals 240-300)
4. Brilliant Light (2 pips; 100% accuracy; +30% to next healing spells to all allies)
5. Earthwalker (4 pips; 90% accuracy; deals 420-500)

Chaos

1. Chaos Banshee (2 pips; 80% accuracy; deals 190 and stuns for 1 round)
2. Talos (5 pips; 100% accuracy; summons Talos minion)
3. Lindorm** (4 pips; 80% accuracy; deals 235-295 and Stuns for one turn)
4. Shatter (3 pips; 100% accuracy; removes all wards from target)
5. Aged Imp (5 pips; 80% accuracy; deals 325 and dispels next Life and Death spell)

Spirit

1. Death Scarab (2 pips; 85% accuracy; deals 140 and +30% to next Death spell)
2. Dark Pact (1 pip; 100% accuracy; 300 Death damage to self for +30% to next damage spell)
3. Dark Crow (3 pips; 85% accuracy; 250 and -20% to next spell)
4. Virulent Plague (3 pips; 100% accuracy; -40% to next damage spell for all enemies)
5. Deadly Minotaur (5 pips; 85% accuracy; deals 65 and 600)

*Tornado = Storm version of Sandstorm.
**Lindorm = Myth version of Ice Wyvern.
Hmm, that would be quite interesting. A few are already available to certain schools, though. This could work, perhaps they would have learnable Mutate Spells in addition to Utilities. Mutates available via quests in school/level appropriate instances, Utilities would be School Restricted trainables. That could work!