Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Secondary Schools

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Nov 06, 2011
So I'm a Ice wizard, and my secondary school is Storm. When I have enough training points, I'm considering learning Life as well.

Is this a terrible combination? I would like to make my character the best he can be.

Delver
Aug 13, 2010
If your level isn't high, buy back your training points. You shouldn't focus on a school for secondary, instead you should have many. Train Death up to feint, train life up to Satyr, or you can just stay with pixie, get Elemental Blade, Get the Sun school spells like Gargantuan, get some Star spells for more critical chance, and get Reshuffle for PvP or long lasting fights. If you have that, you should spend the rest on whatever you like.

Survivor
Nov 28, 2010
Hey MaxDude523,

Personally, I am the opposite of SantaIceBurg, and so are many people in the game. I am not trying to say that his method is not good, but I find my method to be more effective.

As you become a higher level, when you train in many schools, their low powered spells become of no use to you. This is why I thin kyou should focus on one school, then save the rest of the training points for astral spells and the two elemental boosts from Niles in Krokotopia. If I want a card from another school (usually Life, I am 1st Storm 2nd Death), I just buy an amulet with the spell I want, or try to get a pet/clothing item with that spell.

I do see an advantage in SantaIceBurg's method though because you will be able to get all the useful spells from all the schools as he listed, such as Death --> Feint, Life ---> Satyr, Balance ---> Dragonblade, etc... Basically, it all depends on your opinion. If you want to focus on one school and gain their power, focus on one school. If you want advantages/power from all school, use SantaIceBurg's method.

Happy Spell Casting!

Benjamin Frostblood & Lucas Frostblood
Level 56 Diviner & Level 13 Theurgist
Celestia, Wintertusk & Wizard City, Krokotopia

"You try, you fail. You try, you fail. You try, you fail. True failure comes when you stop trying."

Squire
Jan 21, 2010
IBS is mentioning some side trainers. A few trainers, they are not professors, teach additional spells and you do not have to learn in any specific order. Some of the spells they teach are worth learning. The problem with professors is that you end up learning many spells that you will never use. the non professor teachers don't have that limitation.
After that there are the celestian trainers which are different again. Moon and star schools don't need to be learned in a specific order. Mutate spells can also be learned in any order. The sun school has spells that boost accuracy or attack. Each type of boost, accuracy or attack, must be learned in order.

Survivor
May 19, 2009
I agree with the last poster. You should train up to whatever is the best spell for you in each individual school.
I would also recommend the astral schools. They can really help when you're lvl 50+. I trained to satyr in life, and I'm planning to train in death to feint.
-Suri Sandbreeze, lvl 61 sorcerer

Adherent
Jul 03, 2010
On my first wizard I experimented with getting other school spells and decided with the ones I made from then on I would not get any spells from any other school that did not enhance my primary school spells, since she is a Life wizard Death to Feint was not a bad thing because they get their all around kill spell late in the game so I could kill faster using it but the Balance spells I dropped in Mooshu when I got more power pips. Personally I would not train any of my other wizards in Life even to Sprite - everyone gets that spell and can put them in their deck to heal, everyone should become more responsible for this and not look past maybe a Life wizard for healing.

The Balance blades from Niles I get for all my wizards and then the Sun spells mentioned and you can eventually get to Colossus with that but will take 5 training points. Currently with my Death wizard I have the 35% Balance blade from Niles, an Amulet with a 30% Balance blade, a 45% Death Blade with the crafted helmet from Wintertusk and my regular 40% Blades and 30% Traps given from school and 225 Gargantuan, needless to say with this combination of Blades and Traps I can figure just about how much it takes to kill mob fights in one hit with ScareCrow. I will also mention I pretty much run all my wizards shield free because with the right combination of blades, traps and hit spells in deck you will be able to kill be for you are defeated accept maybe in fights with cheating bosses.

Illuminator
Feb 09, 2009
Ha, typical newbie (no offense). Well here's my take on your situation (which is actually very common): Storm is a great primary school; not so great as a secondary unless you're a Conjurer. Also, in my opinion, training in Life is just crass when you're a Thaumaturge. There are so many ways to help out your fellow teammates when you're a Thaumaturge (taunting, distracting, shield casting, shield stealing, etc.) and you don't need to ruin the nature of your school to do it. If I were you, I would've chosen Fire and spent the excess training points on one of the Astral schools when I got the chance. In response to SantaIceBerg's reply, I strongly advise against training in many different schools up to certain spells because all you end up doing is wasting your training points when you might need them later on in the game.