Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

To PvP or Not to PvP...

AuthorMessage
Champion
May 03, 2011
This is my first time posting in this section. I have been playing this game for about 7 months, but have never yet played PvP. Not once. Here is my question--and I'm just looking for perspectives, not answers. I have two level 70 wizards, and will soon finish the game (again) with them. I am wondering, while waiting for more content, if PvP might be something to try. I like challenges, and would like to find new ways to enjoy the game.

My trepidations are based on the fact that I hate rude behavior, and wonder if PvP is so dominated by rude people so as to make it not fun. I am an adult, and place a high value on civility. Another question: is it stupid/inadvisable to begin to try PvP with level 70 wizards (Myth and Death)? Should I try it with my 36 (Storm) or 56 (Life) first?

Can experienced players offer some advice for neophytes like me (even if the advice is don't try it)?

I am, I think, a pretty good PvE player. Not awesome, but good. I have pretty decent, but not amazing pets (they have Proof and Spritely).

Any advice or observations/perspectives will be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Adherent
Mar 18, 2009
tabby714 wrote:
My trepidations are based on the fact that I hate rude behavior, and wonder if PvP is so dominated by rude people so as to make it not fun. I am an adult, and place a high value on civility.

"You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villany."

I wouldn't characterize PvP as dominated by rude people, but if you've never had the displeasure before, you will eventually in PvP.

Mastermind
Jul 25, 2010
Well first off you wanna go to the basics of practice pvp. Secondly you should stick with your myth because they have decent one on one attacks. Lastly if someone is rude just use the ignore button.

Geographer
Aug 28, 2010
tabby714,

Just my opionion, if you don't like rude players, then PvP may not enchant you. On the other hand, you can block pvp chat, and enjoy the complex thought process that goes with PvP.

If you decide to do PvP, I would at least suggest the following.

1. Start out with a level 10, and get crown gear and wand.
(this will at least give you a fighting chance). Level 58 and above gets very complex very quickly.
2. Go to central and read as many PvP guides that you can, or until you eyes automatically close on you. It is possible that you will be asleep at this point.
3. Get the best deck you can, and I would suggest you also fill the Treasure side of it full.
4. Work out a basic strategy before you start your first battle.
5. If the other player starts to get rude, close the window.
6. Turn off the chat Bubbles, as they can block you trying to play a card, etc.
7. Try to get at least 15% resist if you can.
8. You will need giant Treasure cards and Tower shields are required.
9. Don't run out of cards first, or add a reshuffle in the sidedeck.
10. This last one is an absolute must, when you hit Warlord, stop and come and help me :D (thanks).

Joe.

Explorer
Feb 25, 2010
I love to PvP, so I'm a little biased.

There is a fair amount of rudeness, but most often silence as people have enemy chat blocked to avoid giving away their stats. (If you talk, your name can be clicked in the text box and then the sideways arrow gives away your gear/stats/pet etc).

Mid-level PvP is a special skill. You are often matched against wizards of a higher level, if you are any good, a much higher level. Starting out at level 70 you will likely face a mix of new level 70s like you and then higher ranked low levels (down to even 40 or below based on their rating). These warlords are generally high skill players with training points spent to maximize their strategy and regular use of specialized pets (double resist, pain-giver, spritely, etc), gear and treasure cards. However, because you can critical and dish out big damage, you may still beat them, especially from first. As a mid-level pvper I admit that situations like that, a new high level winning because of sheer force rather than strategy, make me annoyed because point loss/gain is based on rank alone, never level. Losing to a transcended private = major loss of points where winning the match would only give 1. I think starting as a 70 would be easier and give you the widest range of available spells and strategies to try. Eventually the rank/level imbalance works its way out (sort of) and you will start to face wizards closer to your rank and level (assuming you rank up).

Think about your characters and how many training points they have left to spend. If you haven't already, you will likely want to train most of the following: reshuffle, infection, tower shield, weakness, an effective healing spell, sun school spells (gargantuan), other spells to aide your strategy. There are many guides on wizard101central for different schools and levels deck construction and strategy.

Some would also recommend starting on practive pvp with friends or friendly people so you can get the mechanics down.

Treasure cards are also frequently used, especially tower shield (338 gold at the bazaar, 500 at the library), weakness (often 200+ at the bazaar), monstrous to boost attacks (188), etc. Gold can get tight if you aren't questing anymore and don't garden...Evil Magma Peas drop too many tower shields for me to handle!

As intimidating as it may seem, just starting and winning or losing a few matches based on your best guess of a "good deck" will start to help you figure out how you want to play, what others are doing and where you want to spend your attention to change up your strategy (training spells, buying cards, different gear/pet or simply a different deck setup).

Good luck! I'll meet up with you in game sometime if you want to practice. I'm not the best but I know a few tricks.

Defender
Feb 06, 2010
Try pvp, but if you don't like rude comments, keep enemy chat off, and use the Ignore button frequently.

Champion
Jul 30, 2010
try practice first then do rank if you are extremely good at a specific kind of pvp.

A+ Student
Dec 11, 2010
tabby714 wrote:
This is my first time posting in this section. I have been playing this game for about 7 months, but have never yet played PvP. Not once. Here is my question--and I'm just looking for perspectives, not answers. I have two level 70 wizards, and will soon finish the game (again) with them. I am wondering, while waiting for more content, if PvP might be something to try. I like challenges, and would like to find new ways to enjoy the game.

My trepidations are based on the fact that I hate rude behavior, and wonder if PvP is so dominated by rude people so as to make it not fun. I am an adult, and place a high value on civility. Another question: is it stupid/inadvisable to begin to try PvP with level 70 wizards (Myth and Death)? Should I try it with my 36 (Storm) or 56 (Life) first?

Can experienced players offer some advice for neophytes like me (even if the advice is don't try it)?

I am, I think, a pretty good PvE player. Not awesome, but good. I have pretty decent, but not amazing pets (they have Proof and Spritely).

Any advice or observations/perspectives will be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

its a very and even if there are a handfull of rude players remember what ya do if its irl

ignore

here is a example of a pvp match that a opponent is rude
grand ice vs grand balance

x ice uses a 0 pip shield until he/she runs out

the grand balances says
" hey quit being a shielding noob"

the ice says

" dont use judgement its overpowered "

both players in this case are being mean to one another here is a different response from the ice that could be used

" silly boy/girl i am ice the defensive school shielding is my job along with staying alive"

now ya may notice that response is nicer and doesnt involve any come back that is mean

if someone says dont use a spell or calls ya a ___ noob ( space can be filled with words including shield, treasure, judgement)

then keep doing it and come with a nice comeback like that ice in the example above

and dont be mean to others because then your the balance in the example above

hope this help have fun with pvp

P.S. no ice or balance wizard reading this be hurt i am a ice wizard and have a low level balance char so this isnt to hurt anyone

Survivor
Oct 10, 2010
There will always be the rude player.

There will always be the bully.

There will always be the player that feels better himself by putting everyone else around him down.

There will always be those that think ridicule is proper mental war fare to help them win.

People who are poor losers, but there is the poor winner too.

People who will try to shame you in stop using a valid tactic by calling you some flavor of noob.

People who will try to con you into forfeiting the match in exchange for something.

I leave my chat on personally. I might make a friend. If they are rude I can always turn it off. If they call me a noob then I know what I am doing is preventing them from doing what they want to do and they are calling me that out of frustration. Well, then, I am sure to do it more.

Be aware, but do try it out. If it just isn't any fun for you, then try something else.

Armiger
May 10, 2010
kingurz wrote:
tabby714 wrote:
My trepidations are based on the fact that I hate rude behavior, and wonder if PvP is so dominated by rude people so as to make it not fun. I am an adult, and place a high value on civility.

"You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villany."

I wouldn't characterize PvP as dominated by rude people, but if you've never had the displeasure before, you will eventually in PvP.

Oh, I love that quote, well said Obi Wan, I mean Kingurz!

Survivor
Sep 20, 2008
Champion
May 03, 2011
Thanks, everyone, for the advice and observations. I think I will give it a shot, and hope to find at least a few friends among the villainous scum. :? At the very least I'll get a thicker skin, I imagine.

I will follow the advice of both Joe and crzydaisy, and start with my level 70 Myth and my baby Ice, when she gets to level 10 (currently 7). Thank you both for your detailed suggestions, too. On my Myth, I have trained most of the spells recommended, except Infection and Reshuffle. I'm sitting on 8 training points after getting Colossal, so I should be fine. The rest is just figuring out how to play against a person instead of a computer. I'll expect to lose a fair number of times, and try not to get all pitiful about it. :-)

crzydaisy: I would love to have someone to practice with who might be able to give in-game advice. I'm usually on at night, Eastern time, but sometimes late afternoons as well. If any of those times are convenient, maybe we could meet up.

Thanks again, all. I expect I'll have more questions later...

Adherent
Mar 18, 2009
tabby714 wrote:
The rest is just figuring out how to play against a person instead of a computer. I'll expect to lose a fair number of times, and try not to get all pitiful about it. :-)

This is the best part of PvP. If you get the right opponent, it is more challenging than any cheating boss. However, those that go in trying to attain and keep a great win-loss record are the ones that usually complain the most (on the heels of a Warlord downrank).

KI still has a decent system involving arena tickets. The more you accumulate the better stuff you can use or show off. Even those that constantly lose in the arena can still win (although much slower rate). The main problem with this system is that the arena ticket items haven't been updated in a long time, so the tickets haven't been the focus.