Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Elemental/Spirit Blades and Traps - a rip off?

AuthorMessage
Explorer
Feb 21, 2009
I have to say, the Elemental/Spirit blades and traps would be much better if they didn't cost a pip.

I use blades and things all the time, but they lose a lot of their value when it costs you to use them.

May I suggest that these cards lose their pip cost, but maybe they would be slightly weaker? Like make the Elem./Spirit Trap do +25% instead of +35%?

Please note that this is only my opinion. If you don't agree, please post.

Survivor
Mar 08, 2009
They are actually a fairly good deal for higher level damage spells currently, and for maximum damage casts they are invaluable.

Also, that change would impact the elemental damage of balance wizards. Making those free could increase their elemental damage/turn to the point where they were competing with fire wizards in some instances (the elemental blades/traps let you put up 3 buffs yet spectral blast will only take down 1 at a time).

Survivor
Feb 17, 2009
Right now I am in Dragonspyre and I have to say the Elemental blades/traps costing 1 pip is annoying but since I start with 2 pips and have a 50% power pip chance the blades use my regular pips (if I have any) and the next turn I am likely to get a power pip. Seeing as it only costs 3 power pips (6 regular pips) to cast a Helephant the cost of one pip is justified by the damage. I personally would not like to see the damage increase reduced.

Explorer
Feb 21, 2009
auric wrote:
They are actually a fairly good deal for higher level damage spells currently, and for maximum damage casts they are invaluable.

Also, that change would impact the elemental damage of balance wizards. Making those free could increase their elemental damage/turn to the point where they were competing with fire wizards in some instances (the elemental blades/traps let you put up 3 buffs yet spectral blast will only take down 1 at a time).

You have a very good point. As a balance wizard myself, I really only use one of the blades that they have to offer, which is death. But when combo'd with Hydra or Spec Blast, I guess the Elem Blade/Trap would really add to the damage.

A+ Student
Jan 05, 2009
I find that those of my characters that have spells from two schools covered by one boosting spell (such as a death/ife or storm/ice) wizard benefit as you waste only one casting round to put up two shields, etc. Again, at the higher levels, rounds last a bit longer due to multiple stronger enemies.

As a note, I happily pay the 1 pip cost for feint (even with the damage boost to myself...)

Explorer
Feb 21, 2009
Thanks for all of your opinions. You have made good points, and now I have pretty much changed my mind. It's funny, I don't really mind paying a pip for Feint, but it seems a lot more useful than Elem/Spirit. They are are probably more useful than I realize though.

Explorer
Jan 18, 2009
As a death student, I couldn't stress enought he importance of damage-increasing charms and wards. One pip isn't anything to me. I generally have a pip surplus. The damage increase, however, is important to me; it greatly helps, especially since the death blade/trap I use in them only affect death, and won't be taken down from a weakness (since weaknesses are removable without using up the blade(s) I want).

I, personally, find these spells amazingly valauble to my combat and to reduce their power would be something I would dearly regret.

Defender
Aug 19, 2008
I did not see it specifically mentioned.

IF you use the 3-set charm with the charm from your school both will work in the same round. Same for the 3-set trap and the trap from your school, they go off the same round.

Trust me when you get to Dragonspyre...you will happily pay the 1-pip requirement!

Mastermind
Sep 20, 2008
The hydra and blast are good with elemental traps and blades. They are mean't for all schools.