Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

easier way to get level 60 waterworks gear

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Jun 10, 2009
hi fellow wizards and KI,

i think there should be an easier way to earn the level 60 gear.
i've gone through this dungeon 4 times and have only gotten the boots.
i don't always feel like doing a hard dungeon for about 2 hours for the slight chance that i will earn them and i'm sure you don't either.

so please respond fellow wizards and KI :-o

Administrator
A+ Student
Mar 02, 2010
fastgold202 wrote:

i don't always feel like doing a hard dungeon for about 2 hours for the slight chance that i will earn them and i'm sure you don't either.

Waterworks I found really easy and I got all my gear in the 2nd/3rd run, I forget.

Adherent
Jul 03, 2010
fastgold202 wrote:

I agree with this fully, so many people can not devote this amount of time to get gear their wizard should get as a reward for turning level 60, unfortunately KI feels you either have the time and do this or go with out it. I feel sorriest for menu chat wizards, barely none will ever get this gear ever, they are totally shunned by text chat wizards. I have found by the 10th time going though this it's not fun, certainly not in it for the challenge at this point, it's a chore you need to trudge though and it only serves to separate the I am better then you crowd from those who can not do the dungeon. Better gear for you wizard should not be held for ransom by a 1-4 hour dungeon fight, depending on who you enter with and how many have to leave while you are in there and more times then not wizards will have to leave, sadly sometimes right during the end of the last fight.

Worse of all I have made other wizards and they will face the same monotony to get their gear or I may just make do and hope the Zafaria gear gets better.

Survivor
Jun 10, 2009
thanks prof. greyrose and fellow students but can anyone give me some tips to get the robe and the hat?
(i have the boots) :-)

Mastermind
Jun 23, 2010
Professor Greyrose wrote:
"Nothing worth having comes without some kind of fight."

I agree but disagree. You are overlooking obstacles players face.

I farmed very actively for my Level 50 gear. The way it was set up I could pick and choose who to fight depending on the amount of time I had available. I could solo some fights but needed a team for Malistaire.

WW on the other hand not only needs at least one hour+, but, it also requires a team. Many players now how two significant obstacles to getting their gear, a team and time. Menu chatters have a third, people don't want to go in with menu chatters since there is no effective way to communicate cheats. I find this situation disgruntling. I don't have time so I am doing without. I choose to craft WT gear instead.

My feeling is top gear should be available to all players not stuck away in a dungeon with cheats. That locks out many and is IMO unfair. :-(

Megan

Survivor
Jun 10, 2009
i'm not asking for KI to make sure every wizard gets this gear just because they completed the dungeon.

this is what i'm asking,
KI can you make the chances of getting the gear larger
we're still fighting for it but its just a little easier to get :-)

I know this would make many wizards happy

your awesome KI

Survivor
Aug 26, 2011
Waterworks gear is overated -- seriously.

I guess I was really lucky, but my ice wizard got both the hat and robe in the first attempt. Rather than blindly equiping them though, I compared them to the gear I was currently using (the crafted gear from wintertusk). Comparing the numbers, I came up with this:

Health: 50 pts more with WW (3.2% increase over the current gear)
Critical(ice): 3% more with WW (3.4% increase)
Block(all): 7% more with WW (8.3% increase)
Incoming Health: 10% more with WW (45.5% increase)
Mana, Power Pip%, Outgoing Health and Energy are unchanged

None of those increases to me are worth farming the waterworks over and over again. Especally when you consider damage, accuracy, and resist

Resist(all): 15% more with WW (78.9% increase)
Accuracy(ice): 3% LESS with WW (16.7% decrease)
Damage(ice): 3% more with WW (6.5% increase)

But wait, my current gear has a blade and trap, which the WW gear does not have. If I factor those in it becomes:

Damage(ice): 47.9% LESS with WW (1.46*1.45*1.35 vs 1.49)

When looking at it like that, it comes down to, "do I want to do more damage and fizzle less, but take more damage" or "do I want to take less damage, but fizzle more and do less damage".

Personally, I chose to do more damage and fizzle less, cause 99% of the time you can recover health quickly after battles -- and fed my WW gear to my pet.

Survivor
Nov 21, 2010
If you don't have the time to run Waterworks, maybe it would be better to create your gear from the recipe vendor in Sudrilund.

I have gear for my Death wizard and Ice wizard from there.
My Life wizard has two pieces from Waterworks and the foot wear is bought.

You don't need the Gear from Waterworks to go through this game.
Yes I know it helps. But there are alternatives.

Mastermind
Jul 25, 2010
Professor is right what's worth buying it, You feel better earning it and anyways it would be fair for the others who struggled for it. I suggest if your a master aritstian you can get winter tusk gear.

Defender
Jun 06, 2009
fastgold202 wrote:

I disagree that an easier way to get the gear is needed. Grinding and farming have been an integral part of getting things in this game since day one (Lord NightShade again, chaps? I haven't gotten the LeftHanded MonkeyWrench yet!) and were I a betting man, I say that's not going to change.

I ran Water Works 20 times (+/- 1) to get my gear. It was fairly consistent; I got one piece of gear about one in every four runs. I think I got the hat first, on my fourth time through. Robes on run 8. Hat again somewhere around run 12. Robes again around run 16. On the 20th run (plus or minus 1 since I had started to lose count) I finally got the Boots.

I cemented my best online friendship during those times, as people I'd bumped into elsewhere kept running it over and over again with me to help me get my gear.

Now that I think about it, all the people on my friends list with the Gold Star turned on, other than family members, are all folks with whom I'd done some kind of grinding or another.

Yes, Water Works is time consuming. And when you first make Level 60, it can be challenging. And I'm realizing that one of the things that cultivates the kind of customers KI probably wants most is making these challenging enough to require a good team to complete. I suspect good team players also tend to make good customers; but that's a guess on my part.

So I reinforce my earlier statement: I don't think this is going to change anytime soon.

The advice given by someone else I think is the best: If you cannot put the time in to grind on Water Works for awhile, it is a reasonable alternative to either buy the best items you can get in the Bazaar, or the best items you can Craft (probably in Grizzleheim, based on current experience).

Water Works gear is the reward for a particular kind of patience and excellent play; if you are not willing or able to make that investment, there shouldn't be any shortcuts to the rewards that others have earned.

As noted, the difference in the equipment isn't huge (unless you PvP, but that's a whole different mindset anyway). I frankly favor my Vibrant Chieftain's Helm (Crafted item from Sudrilund) over my Hood of Esprit (Water Works item) for regular gameplay in all but about three specific dungeon battles. The bragging rights and benefits of the WW gear are no match for a good +45% Lifeblade at your side (apologies to Mr. Lucas and Mr. Solo for liberty with the misquote).

As to the Menu Chat problem in complex dungeons (Cheating Bosses), I've been thinking about that for quite some time and will post those thoughts on a new thread.

- Stephen EarthMender
Life Wizard
Pixie Realm

Explorer
Jul 17, 2009
I have to both agree/disagree with the previous posters. I do agree that if you're willing to put in the time necessary to go thru the dungeon then maybe the drop rate should be bumped up just a touch.

On the other hand, as a player who only has a limited amount of time to play due to the fact that I'm an adult with a job, family and many real life responsibilities than cannot be set aside to spend unlimited hours grinding away at dungeons, gardening, pet training.....you see where this is going?

I believe KI needs to start considering that their player base isn't just children, teens etc. There are many, many adults who play as well and that needs to taken into consideration when developing ideas for additions to the game.

I won't ever quit playing Wizard. I love the game, however I do find myself playing less and less due to the fact that I cannot allow my fantasy life to take over my real life.

The choice for me goes......

Go to work(don't particulary like it but I go), earn money(a little anyway), pay for a roof over my head(yeah call me soft but I like to stay dry and warm), feed my stomach(sorry....it's still real primitive it likes to get fed regularly....missed out on the evolution part)

or

Play the game.

I know which one I'd choose......unfortunately life taught me early on that I don't always get what I'd like.

Survivor
Aug 26, 2009
I kinda agree, but then again, I don't really see the problem. When I did Waterworks with a couple of buddies (Life, Storm, Fire, and myself as the "blademan" because I was balance), it was long, but easy. But I see your point about how long it takes to get the gear. I remember the first time I finished Waterworks, so exicted I was gonna get I my all gear, but only got a weak athame. Sad thing about it: IT WASN'T EVEN IN MY SCHOOL! But I guess if you do it over and over again, you'll get your gear.

Defender
Jun 06, 2009
linny913 wrote:
On the other hand, as a player who only has a limited amount of time to play due to the fact that I'm an adult with a job, family and many real life responsibilities than cannot be set aside to spend unlimited hours grinding away at dungeons, gardening, pet training.....you see where this is going?

Yes, seeing as how I am an adult with a job, a family, and many real life responsibilityes that cannot be set aside to spend unlimited hours on the game myself.

linny913 wrote:
I believe KI needs to start considering that their player base isn't just children, teens etc. There are many, many adults who play as well and that needs to taken into consideration when developing ideas for additions to the game.

I submit to you that Mastery Amulets, Pet Talents, and the Bazaar were added to the game with precisely this kind of consideration in mind.

linny913 wrote:
unfortunately life taught me early on that I don't always get what I'd like.

That lesson applies in-game as well. :-) Lots of people have indicated they'd like to simply buy their Level 60 Water Works gear. For the moment, anyway, they can't get what they want.

Even one Saturday Water Works run per month would have gotten me my gear eventually.

- Stephen EarthMender
Life Wizard
Pixie Realm