Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

How is pvp unbalanced?

AuthorMessage
A+ Student
Mar 02, 2010
Too many people say that pvp is unbalanced! I don't get it! How is PvP unbalanced? If you're one of those people, then explain your reasons please

Survivor
May 09, 2010
I think it's unbalanced due to the level difference between comatants. I have a lvl 47 storm toon and recently faced a lvl 35 ice toon accompanied by a lvl 60 balance toon. How was that fair? I got one-shotted by balance and died. The low lvl gets his points just for being there, and I had no chance and my standing went down. Fair? I think not.

A+ Student
Mar 02, 2010
randylay wrote:
I think it's unbalanced due to the level difference between comatants. I have a lvl 47 storm toon and recently faced a lvl 35 ice toon accompanied by a lvl 60 balance toon. How was that fair? I got one-shotted by balance and died. The low lvl gets his points just for being there, and I had no chance and my standing went down. Fair? I think not.

They fixed that in the last update, now wizards will fight around only their level unless your teammate is a high level and you're a low level, you're going to fight both high and low levels.

Champion
Jul 30, 2010
randylay wrote:
read gama's post it tells how the pvp system works to quote darthj get all the facts before you complain.

Squire
Apr 18, 2010
randylay wrote:

Fair? I think yes.

Explorer
Mar 15, 2011
joujou11cool wrote:
Too many people say that pvp is unbalanced! I don't get it! How is PvP unbalanced? If you're one of those people, then explain your reasons please

1. Fire Myth and Ice all have the easiest and greatest variety of spells that allow them to cake-walk around shields. Ice has less of them, but Ice has a far greater capacity to "tank" while doing this, and also has a better bubble.

2. Fire Myth and Ice all have better minions than every single other school in the game. Period.

3. The advantage of basically being able to do whatever the heck you want if you're going first.

PvP never was balanced. Perhaps it was never intended to be.

Defender
Apr 19, 2010
jojowild23 wrote:
joujou11cool wrote:

1. Fire Myth and Ice all have the easiest and greatest variety of spells that allow them to cake-walk around shields. Ice has less of them, but Ice has a far greater capacity to "tank" while doing this, and also has a better bubble.

2. Fire Myth and Ice all have better minions than every single other school in the game. Period.

3. The advantage of basically being able to do whatever the heck you want if you're going first.

Who actually uses minions passed lvl 50 anyways? I don't and lot of other people i'v played don't either. It takes away pips and the minions would use your traps. People should just stop talking about lesser/greater minions because after a certian level they are pretty much useless....

Geographer
Aug 28, 2010
jojowild23 , nice post.

I would like to add a few items that I also think make it a bit unbalanced.

Adding to Life's solid hit, we have two life Dispels, really creating a position between a rock and a hard place for almost all Wizards.
Even Fire and Myth can have a hard time if Life starts casting in a few more Life Dispels. Not saying it not good for Life, but it can make Life almost impossible to beat, if they know how to pvp.

Myth and Fire can stack Blades, and most wizards have no way to removed them. Yes, I know there are spells to remove them, but other than those show up few and far between. Once Myth or Fire stack Blades, the wizard on the other side is as good as dead. These hits are up around 1000 a round or more, and you just can't survive the hit.

Raising Doom and Gloom and increasing the Monster with Life stealing has really put Death in a good state. Especially against a Balance that doesn't have a Aura (or one they can use). Once this is out, or if the Aura battle is won, Death is unstoppable almost. The only chance a good Fire or Myth have is to Blade, Blade, Blade and Hit as hard as possible.

I don't see Ice as having a great advantage like many do. Yes, they increased their health, and you can craft the new gear, but I don't really se a ton of people doing that, just because of the number of Sunstones and Golden Pearls required. The Manmonth is a nice spell, but not a show stopper like some schools got.

It just seems like certain schools got a real advantage over others since Wintertusk.
Plus I really think the introduction of Critical made the game a bit lopsided too. Fire and life seem to go critical all the time now in the Arena.

I have a Myth, Death, and Life, so I'm not a Ice player complaining on the other schools. I have everything but Fire up at level 70, but my Life. So I don't feel like a complete noob saying these things.

Joe.

Defender
Jan 20, 2010
hanable33 wrote:
randylay wrote:
read gama's post it tells how the pvp system works to quote darthj get all the facts before you complain.

I've read the post, and the problem is people have found a way to manipulate the averaging system. They will team their level 70 with a level 1 on a dummy account they set up. The level 1 will have lost a huge number of matches before hand, to drop the 500 PvP points they start off with to 0. once the level 70, and level 1 are in the same team the matching system averages them out to face opponents in the mid 20's to mid 30's. the level 1 is used to wand off shields, and add treasure blades, while the level 70 builds up pips for a massive AoE.

Explorer
Mar 15, 2011
Alexander5335 wrote:
jojowild23 wrote:
joujou11cool wrote:

Who actually uses minions passed lvl 50 anyways? I don't and lot of other people i'v played don't either. It takes away pips and the minions would use your traps. People should just stop talking about lesser/greater minions because after a certian level they are pretty much useless....

Really? You've never seen Ice and Fire wizards use the minion annoyance method? It can actually be quite lethal. Recently, actually, I've seen fewer and fewer Myths use their minions in random ranked, but Talos is still fairly formidable.

Passed level 50, the truth is, traps are less common.

A+ Student
Mar 02, 2010
jojowild23 wrote:
joujou11cool wrote:

I'll try my best to come up with something that will counter each point(Don't blame me if my reasons's fail)

1. There are many ways to block Fire and Myth actually, people just can't see that. I'll tell you a way of doing it without Triage;

Fire: Too many people think of a DoT to get rid of the shields so they don't shield too often. Well, if you place a shield, Fire's going to have trouble attacking, really. The DoT is always weaker then the main attack, so the wizard won't have to worry about that. 1 shield will do the trick. Also, Efreet can be taken out by using a pet or amulet to disarm it, or even by using your wand to shake it off.

Myth: Not many people have noticed this, but there is a way to block their double strikes. Even though they hardly use them anymore, I just keep my Fortify up and spam the weaknesses. You can also block Medusa with a shield, Myth wizards intend to hit a hard strike, don't forget that during combat. So, if you shield up, the Myth wizard may use his/her pips to shake off the weaknesses or shields. Basilisk. This power house is a pretty good one. But also easily blocked. To block this spell, get your defenses up quickly. You won't be able to get around the first 2 DoT hits once this comes into play, so get ready while you can.

Ice has its own way of getting defeated. Woolly Mammoth is a really weak spell and Ice wizards lose damage boost. Sure, the stun can hit, but it only attacks once, so use 1 shield say bye to that. Snow Angel's attack is the main hit, don't worry too much about the DoT, just shield once then use a heal quickly, because you'll know they're going to spam their Wyverns on you. Maybe even the Frostbites. Shield up anyways, show them who has the best defenses, then their spells are all weak. Weakness and Plague works well against them too.

2. I have to agree with Alexander5335 there, he knows that hardly anyone uses their minions. Even if they do, use an AoE or just even let them waste their pips. That's 2 power pips they're wasting, while you still have an extra round to attack. Death wizards could easily heal extra with Scarecrow, so I wouldn't use a minion against them.

3. I play very well first or second, no matter what, my enemy has a tough time attacking me. While they try to break my defenses, I go for the attacks. Shatter works fine there, but I always keep a Reshuffle in handy. Many people do, I'm not the only one. Also, I know a bunch of people that actually attack with a Banshee/Vampire/Seraph/Kraken/Wild Bolt/Insane Bolt/ Spectral Blast/Immolate/Humongofrog at the first round. So I say both wizards have an advantage.

Thanks for your time of posting your reasons.

A+ Student
Mar 02, 2010
Lion359 wrote:
jojowild23 , nice post.

I would like to add a few items that I also think make it a bit unbalanced.

Adding to Life's solid hit, we have two life Dispels, really creating a position between a rock and a hard place for almost all Wizards.
Even Fire and Myth can have a hard time if Life starts casting in a few more Life Dispels. Not saying it not good for Life, but it can make Life almost impossible to beat, if they know how to pvp.

Myth and Fire can stack Blades, and most wizards have no way to removed them. Yes, I know there are spells to remove them, but other than those show up few and far between. Once Myth or Fire stack Blades, the wizard on the other side is as good as dead. These hits are up around 1000 a round or more, and you just can't survive the hit.

Raising Doom and Gloom and increasing the Monster with Life stealing has really put Death in a good state. Especially against a Balance that doesn't have a Aura (or one they can use). Once this is out, or if the Aura battle is won, Death is unstoppable almost. The only chance a good Fire or Myth have is to Blade, Blade, Blade and Hit as hard as possible.

I don't see Ice as having a great advantage like many do. Yes, they increased their health, and you can craft the new gear, but I don't really se a ton of people doing that, just because of the number of Sunstones and Golden Pearls required. The Manmonth is a nice spell, but not a show stopper like some schools got.

It just seems like certain schools got a real advantage over others since Wintertusk.
Plus I really think the introduction of Critical made the game a bit lopsided too. Fire and life seem to go critical all the time now in the Arena.

I have a Myth, Death, and Life, so I'm not a Ice player complaining on the other schools. I have everything but Fire up at level 70, but my Life. So I don't feel like a complete noob saying these things.

Joe.

I'll try to make a counter for each of these reasons...

1. The dispels are OK, many wizards carry around the Lifeforce blade anyways.

2. Basically any school can stack blades/traps, and it's a known fact that as soon as wizards get up to level 50, they use traps a whole lot less. There are also shields that I use very often to take care of the enemies. Every strategic wizard knows to keep a load of shields and Reshuffles in deck.

3. Doom and Gloom can work as a backfire too, and all of Death's drains are weak, so many wizards won't have to deal with that. And also, how does Death have an advantage against a Balance wizard? Balance has the most shields in wizard101, not to mention Weaknesses. Aura or not, Balance wizards can defend themselves very heavily as well as arm. And also, if a Balance wizard were to use Power Play, it wouldn't effect either wizard, because they get around 90% power pip chance.

4. It's true that not many Ice wizards have the crafted gear, and their spell is a show stopper. They have the stun on Woolly Mammoth.

5. Critical isn't bad because basically everyone blocks nowadays, also, after Wintertusk came out, the only thing that each school had an advantage on one another is power and damage.

Thanks for taking your time to post.