Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

. . . isnt a word mrs. greyrose

AuthorMessage
Explorer
Mar 24, 2011
professor greyrose i was wondering about your saying and the . . . was like the words were continued. i dont know if they are existing words yet but i came up with an idea!
with a mind that is set and a heart that is pure", victory is assured!" :)

Illuminator
Feb 09, 2009
'...' is called an ellipsis. It's used in place of words when quoting a text or person and the words would be too much to write, or when the words are irrelevant to what one is trying to say. She was quoting something or someone, so she just put the ellipsis in place of the words I suppose she didn't feel were relevant in what she was trying to say.

Squire
Dec 21, 2008
This is funny. I was just typing those three dots when I was level 7 getting my unicorn spell (Aww, I was so cute) and then another guy just walked up to me and said, "Stop cussing Caroline" LOL.

Caroline Sunbright level 70 life

Mastermind
Sep 11, 2010
The use of three periods is known as an ellipsis (not to be confused with eclipse (when the moon covers the sun) or ellipse (a flattened circle)), and is mostly used to indicate a tone in text.

On Wizard101, it often indicates that someone has tried to use a word that isn't allowed, and is most often seen in the middle of a sentence and in obvious place of a word.

In common writing, it's used to indicate (unfinished) thought or trailing off into silence... But it can also be used in the middle of a sentence to indicate that someone is... considering what words to use.

... It can also be used at the start of a sentence to indicate thought, or a pause before talking.

You might, however, see it used in quotations, in which case the ellipsis tells that something has been ommited from the full sentence or phrase. ("... and I'm not sure about the Universe." (Albert Einstein)).

So, no, an ellipsis is not a word, but it's still perfectly legal to use while writing.