Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Schools losing thier Specialty.

AuthorMessage
Delver
Aug 15, 2009
Storm:

Diviners, were known for their damage, and fast attacks.

With the Critical system the other schools gained storm specialty, to do greater damage. Wasn't Storm specialty to do great amount of damage? Yet every school has that ability.

Storm has the lowest critical block, and lowest health... Every other school has obtain huge amounts of health and good amount of critical.

Yet Storm hasn't obtain any improvements on it's health, while the other schools become stronger...

Fire:

Pyromancers were known for their Aura spells or Over Time Damage spells.

Basically, everyone has acquire Over Time Damage spell, even Myth has two spells... Didn't they had enough with their double attacks?

Life:

Theurgist, were know to be mage healers.

Life wizards little by little they are losing their fundamentals as healers.

Even now some Life wizards care more to attack, then to actually help and heal teammates.

Now seems everyone can heal... With Life mastery amulet.

The balance of the game is truly tilting.

Squire
Apr 11, 2010
Huh, this again?
Schools are not losing their specialty. Every school started on their own path. If you compare one school to the other, you lose sight of the unique paths each has taken in their journey to get where they are now.

Now let's start with critical, giving everyone the option of critical doesn't mean other schools suddenly have the power of storm. A storm shark, with its base of 375-435 goes critical for 750-870. But if a cyclops spell 265-325 goes critical, 530-650. See? Those are both rank 3 spells, but they do not have the same power. So other schools aren't suddenly hitting with the power of storm. Storm is still, by its very nature the hardest hitting class. It's in the spells.

Every school needs to survive anyway and should have the ability to hit hard enough to be independent shouldn't they? Otherwise, how would anyone tolerate playing as a life wizard or a Balance?

I do think that there are a lot more Damage over Time spells than I'd like to see, after all it kind of messes up my defense game haha. But why shouldn't other schools have damage over time? Fire doesn't have to claim all of them for themselves. Besides, death needed poison for example, because of their lower attack stats, the fact that they don't even get an ok AOE spell until Scarecrow, which sadly is still their only AOE spell, they needed a good early way to bust shields. If any school needs damage over time, its certainly Life...

Nobody loses their fundamental spells, ever. It is all in the play style, and how you manage to make the best of the road you chose when you picked a certain class.

I still low rank spells like troll minion, because it makes a flawless use of the basic myth spells and helps apply wonderful pressure on an opponent. If I was fire, I would still use Fire elf at level 60, I'm sure! Or even Link/power link...

Maybe you are worrying too much about what other wizards can do, instead of working on mastering your own abilities, and or thinking of ways to overcome your own weaknesses. Comparing one school to another though, is not a good way to defend or fight for something.

Astrologist
Jun 04, 2010
Daviato wrote:
Storm:

With the Critical system the other schools gained storm specialty, to do greater damage. Wasn't Storm specialty to do great amount of damage? Yet every school has that ability.

Storm has the lowest critical block, and lowest health... Every other school has obtain huge amounts of health and good amount of critical.

Yet Storm hasn't obtain any improvements on it's health, while the other schools become stronger...

Fire:

Basically, everyone has acquire Over Time Damage spell, even Myth has two spells... Didn't they had enough with their double attacks?

Life:

Even now some Life wizards care more to attack, then to actually help and heal teammates.

I posted a thread with a very similar sentiment after the release of Wintertusk. While I disagree with the balance of the game tilting, I'm in full agreement regarding the "specialties" of the different schools blurring together. At the higher levels with the proper gear, there is very little separating the different schools from one another. It has become increasingly easy to use "exclusive" secondary school spells through amulets, pets, gear, treasure cards, or even wands. With the mastery amulets, these can even be cast with power pips. But what is KI to do? People constantly call for it. You yourself have argued vehemently in the past for spells which cause the very issue you're discussing here.

I'm guilty of "school" envy as well. Back in the earlier days, before I had more than one or two wizards of any other school, right after Celestia was released, I used to think Storm was favored by KI. I found it obnoxious that the school whose balance was supposed to be low accuracy could attain "fizzle proof" status and that by the end of DS (perhaps earlier?) they become more accurate (with gear) than supposed "accurate" schools such as life, death, and balance. I still find it annoying that with Waterworks gear, a storm can only fizzle on storm and fire spells due to the accuracy boost being global. But again, what is KI to do? The ship has already sailed. People get REALLY angry when they go back and adjust released content. People even get angry when something is changed while still in Test Realm before it ever goes live.

Do I wish that KI would spend more time carefully considering the ramifications of changes? Yes, I do. Are they going to? Maybe. Sometimes they do and sometimes they don't. I think it would be nice if KI started making gear that ACTUALLY gives you options. For instance, high health gear for storm but with reduced accuracy. Pip percentage gear for elemental schools but with less health. More accuracy/pip percentage balanced gear for Balance, death, and life, but less health. I also wish that they would get on board with aggregate value caps to "encourage" players to explore these new options... But I have no idea if we'll ever see this.

I guess that the bottom line here is, I understand what you're saying and I have empathy for the essence of your sentiment.

Defender
Dec 23, 2009
the only thing i agree with is life's lack of high rank heals. fire still has a lot of DoTs and storm is still extremely powerful. however, sirens could be raised by 5 or 10

Squire
Dec 21, 2008
Survivor
Feb 21, 2010
Myth needs to equip something to have 2 DoT spells

Lifes now only use Forest Lord and Gnomes
yet no heals sometimes

My friend in waterworks
he was the one doing the healing as a balance
the life was sitting there and attacking
and this i think was before Zafaria

Death is fine
Fire is fine
Storm is fine
Ice is fine(though the new Zafaria armor just kills their universal defense)
Balance is fine

Armiger
May 10, 2010
gtarhannon wrote:
Daviato wrote:
Storm:

Fire:

Life:

I posted a thread with a very similar sentiment after the release of Wintertusk. While I disagree with the balance of the game tilting, I'm in full agreement regarding the "specialties" of the different schools blurring together. At the higher levels with the proper gear, there is very little separating the different schools from one another. It has become increasingly easy to use "exclusive" secondary school spells through amulets, pets, gear, treasure cards, or even wands. With the mastery amulets, these can even be cast with power pips. But what is KI to do? People constantly call for it. You yourself have argued vehemently in the past for spells which cause the very issue you're discussing here.

I'm guilty of "school" envy as well. Back in the earlier days, before I had more than one or two wizards of any other school, right after Celestia was released, I used to think Storm was favored by KI. I found it obnoxious that the school whose balance was supposed to be low accuracy could attain "fizzle proof" status and that by the end of DS (perhaps earlier?) they become more accurate (with gear) than supposed "accurate" schools such as life, death, and balance. I still find it annoying that with Waterworks gear, a storm can only fizzle on storm and fire spells due to the accuracy boost being global. But again, what is KI to do? The ship has already sailed. People get REALLY angry when they go back and adjust released content. People even get angry when something is changed while still in Test Realm before it ever goes live.

Do I wish that KI would spend more time carefully considering the ramifications of changes? Yes, I do. Are they going to? Maybe. Sometimes they do and sometimes they don't. I think it would be nice if KI started making gear that ACTUALLY gives you options. For instance, high health gear for storm but with reduced accuracy. Pip percentage gear for elemental schools but with less health. More accuracy/pip percentage balanced gear for Balance, death, and life, but less health. I also wish that they would get on board with aggregate value caps to "encourage" players to explore these new options... But I have no idea if we'll ever see this.

I guess that the bottom line here is, I understand what you're saying and I have empathy for the essence of your sentiment.

Ahhh, so he finally admits it.

I do agree with you on some of your points though, trade off are supposed to be set.

Health for Power
Accuracy for Power Pip chance
Critical for Resistance

However, these lines have been seriously blurred, especially with the new gear.

Defender
Apr 19, 2010
You might as well say that ice's specialty is gone too because now everyone has universal resistance.......But no, people would diagree and say that everyone should get universal resistance.

Delver
Oct 26, 2010
Dude, you dont get it. Even with life mastery amulet, other schools can't compare to l-ife's healing spells. Life is known of healing, so ya.

You are 100% wrong about everything you said.

Adherent
Mar 18, 2009
darthjt wrote:
I do agree with you on some of your points though, trade off are supposed to be set.

Health for Power
Critical for Resistance

But I am Transcended !!!!!

I am beyond trade offs. I have High health and power. I critical with expert accuracy. I resist at 90%. I swim in 100% Power Pips.

I am the Moon School.

Fear me. :x

Delver
Aug 15, 2009
PIEISGREATYA wrote:
Dude, you dont get it. Even with life mastery amulet, other schools can't compare to l-ife's healing spells. Life is known of healing, so ya.

Anyone can use Satyr, spirte, Dryad, Unicorn, Regenerate, even Rebirth...

Thats almost ALL life school healing spells...

Yet you still say I'm 100% wrong... LoL

Adherent
Jul 03, 2010
carlcarl99 wrote:
Myth needs to equip something to have 2 DoT spells

Lifes now only use Forest Lord and Gnomes
yet no heals sometimes

My friend in waterworks
he was the one doing the healing as a balance
the life was sitting there and attacking
and this i think was before Zafaria

Death is fine
Fire is fine
Storm is fine
Ice is fine(though the new Zafaria armor just kills their universal defense)
Balance is fine

First of all apparently you did not make it clear that you wanted a Life Minion in WaterWorks. I actually have 2 Life wizard friends that run Sun spot though the entire thing and it was the fastest I have ever done that dungeon.

For me WaterWorks is the only place I run as a Life minion and that is because I never liked cheating bosses so hate to deal with them, altho the last time I went in I had to have duel roll of healer and killer because people left, otherwise I am a fighter. Some people who chose life did it to be able to get though the game with the least help, I have soloed much of the game because of it, I never intended to follow around other wizards in the game and make sure they had enough health. I also do not pick my level gear to pump out Rebirths I do it to pump out Forest Lords ever 4th round at the highest available hit rate I can. It worked out ok for me because the friends I have made know what I can do and call on me when they want the fight over, me coming in gives them the option of wasting two pips on their sprite while I kill the monsters.

To this end if I can keep everyone in WaterWorks beginning to end please do not give me another darn healing spell. I don't have half the ones I was given along the way in my deck as it is. I use sprites for quick heals when low on pips, Satyre if only one in group is getting too low and rebirth as every one starts to get hit. My normal fighting deck has 2 sprites, 1 Satrye and 1 Rebirth in it, though the entire second half of the game I have never needed to put more in to get though any of the fights alone or with friends.

Delver
Oct 05, 2010
The day I see other schools using steal health spells then I will say the speciality of schools are completely gone.

Survivor
Jul 20, 2010
kingurz wrote:
darthjt wrote:

Health for Power
Critical for Resistance

But I am Transcended !!!!!

I am beyond trade offs. I have High health and power. I critical with expert accuracy. I resist at 90%. I swim in 100% Power Pips.

I am the Moon School.

Fear me. :x

Lol Awesome!
I think people don't pay attention to the secondary schools enough. My first 3 turns are death blade, spirit blade, Vengence. With sun school spell to enhance my attack on my fourth turn I can hit really hard, but so can every other school. Schools like Storm and Fire will still beat my damage count easily but for me it's just nice to be able to lay a smack down on an enemy and hold my own. I'm happy Life got some good hit spells. Now they aren't forced to play healer. They can switch it around when needed.

These "changes" aren't there to ruin anything but to make every school more useful in battle and in party play. I've used treasure cards sometimes, but I'd rather have my equipment better the school I'm in, than let me use another one and be weak at both. Even with that sort of amulet you still can only use spells you buy with training points. Some of the really nice ones you quest for. Not to mention to be useful at a second school you have to get dual school equipment instead of school specialized gear. Which makes you weaker in the long run. Then if you want to get the specialized spells you have to fill your side deck which ends up slowing down gameplay to find that card you want. A Turn missed can mean victory or defeat versus bosses and higher lvl mobs. It might be nice to be able to throw down a heal ,or use scarecrow to hit and heal, but Honestly your gonna want to make your schools spell crit and do tons of damage/healing most of the time!

Defender
Feb 06, 2010
Daviato wrote:
Storm:

LOL. But you want Storm to get a DoT?? Let me spell that out for you: Damage over TIME.

Oh, but wait?? I thought Storm was supposed to have "fast attacks"?? Last time I checked, DoTs took 3 rounds to do damage. Last time I checked, that isn't a "fast attack".

Wouldn't Storm getting a DoT also take away from Fire's speciality?? I thought you were mad about KI taking away these so-called specialities??

You make no sense. Oh, right it's because you're only looking out for Storm.

And yes, I do have a Storm. I have all schools (lowest lvl is lvl 61).

A+ Student
Mar 02, 2010
Daviato wrote:
Storm:

Fire:

Life:

I agree that some schools have actually lost their specialty in play.
Fire for example, lost their uniqueness in high rank DoT's. Now, Death and Myth can play the same. I wish that Death and Myth only got low rank DoT's like Poison and Humongofrog pet.

Life, however, I have to disagree with. What other school can get high Life critical without crafting their gear and losing a whole bunch of resist and damage boost? Life is the only school that can really put a punch in their heals. Balance and Fire can somewhat do that, but only if they have amazing healing boost or if they critical.

Storm hasn't lost anything. They have actually gained a lot this year. The people that say that Storm can't hit hard due to shields or resist, they just needed damage boost, and I've noticed that. Storm wizards can get up to 97% damage boost, which is a lot. Storm has its uniqueness in power, and also lacks of health.

PvP isn't tilting, it's people lacking of strategy that are.

A+ Student
Mar 02, 2010
gtarhannon wrote:
Daviato wrote:
Storm:

Fire:

Life:

Yes, I've been thinking of the options thing too. I would really want that, it would bring out how the wizard wants to play.

Delver
Aug 15, 2009
kamarynjelise wrote:
Daviato wrote:
Storm:

LOL. But you want Storm to get a DoT?? Let me spell that out for you: Damage over TIME.

Oh, but wait?? I thought Storm was supposed to have "fast attacks"?? Last time I checked, DoTs took 3 rounds to do damage. Last time I checked, that isn't a "fast attack".

Wouldn't Storm getting a DoT also take away from Fire's speciality?? I thought you were mad about KI taking away these so-called specialities??

You make no sense. Oh, right it's because you're only looking out for Storm.

And yes, I do have a Storm. I have all schools (lowest lvl is lvl 61).

Where on my post I'm asking a for DoT spell? If you bringing another discussion, then you the one who is not making sense!

Oh is nice to see you have all schools, maybe going outside and get some sun will be nice... I only have 2 high level wizards, I don't really play the game for a living, I play for fun.

Sometimes people are really rude and dumb... People wanna be rude? Okay I'll be rude... LOL now I'm laughing.

Survivor
Nov 13, 2011
ice is supposed to defend right? well they don't. They have 2 spells for defense tower shield and elemental shield, but they don't have the best defense its a spell called sprite armor and that's life .fire lost its specialty to storm but they are still capable of devastating attacks but storm is better

Defender
Aug 26, 2010
Daviato wrote:
PIEISGREATYA wrote:

Anyone can use Satyr, spirte, Dryad, Unicorn, Regenerate, even Rebirth...

Thats almost ALL life school healing spells...

Yet you still say I'm 100% wrong... LoL

Satyr and Sprite are the only ones a non-life school student can learn the others are treasure cards. I have a life amulet and I occasionally am able to find the regenerate and rebirth treasure cards (through questing) my pet casts unicorn (which requires no pips from me). A true life student can have 7 or 8 rebirths in their deck (depending on rank and deck) whereas I only have 4 total, so I am very careful not to use mine unless its absolutely necessary, I life person doesn't need to worry about running out of the spell.

Defender
Aug 26, 2010
Daviato wrote:

Ok this is really confusing me...NONE of my characters have a base critical or critical block . All of their critical, critical block, and defense are from the gear I purchased.

While my storm does have lower base health than my others its total health, after being well equiped, is within a couple hundred of any of my other characters so I really don't consider it an issue.

A+ Student
Mar 02, 2010
rpacman wrote:
ice is supposed to defend right? well they don't. They have 2 spells for defense tower shield and elemental shield, but they don't have the best defense its a spell called sprite armor and that's life .fire lost its specialty to storm but they are still capable of devastating attacks but storm is better

Actually, Balance gets Elemental Shield. Ice gets Volcanic Shield, Tower Shield, and also Legion Shield.