Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

The Concept Of The Noob

AuthorMessage
Explorer
Jun 04, 2009
Hello, i have been playing w101 for a really loooong time.And recently i have read and commented on this certain subject. A noob is a lower leveled player or something else which i will not say for the sake of anybody young reading this. For example: A player who just started playing who is like i don't know 10-11 years old was called a noob. They asked their parent what it meant and they said something like "I do not want you playing this game any more if they allow this kind of language," their account is deleted and they can never enjoy the fun of this game ever again.
I hate being called a noob, especilly if the wizard is lower in level of me.But sadly the word noob is NOT filtered and the wizard doesn't get penalized if you report them for calling you that. The only thing you can do is not call ANYONE a noob and if you do see someone being called a noob say something like "Hey stop it he/she doesn't like being called a noob," you never know you could make a new friend.
Merry Christmas,
Grace F. lvl 43,life
Cya in the spiral!

Defender
Apr 27, 2009
Adherent
Mar 18, 2009
Or you could just ignore them. Calling people noobs garners attention and the more of it they get the more they will do it.

Squire
Jun 19, 2009
Well, not to be rude, but isn't this bringing the topic up again? :? What really should happen is people stop making topics for this so that it is forgotten rather than remembered. "noob" does mean newbie and I can't see why a parent would take their child's game away for that. It is harshly used, but use the ignore button! The word noob will never be filtered for there's not a reason to. Besides, people find ways around. Next thing you know, noob is blocked and now newbie is being harshly used. It's human nature.

Delver
Apr 12, 2011
i hate that people in pvp call me that for no reason and i destroy them also no reason to take a child's game away some parents are over protective of their children the point is dont call people a noob ignore them or ignore then (one is the button) well all i have to say about this

Blaze Raventail

transcended pyromancer

Delver
Jun 09, 2010
bushbaby123 wrote:
Hello, i have been playing w101 for a really loooong time.And recently i have read and commented on this certain subject. A noob is a lower leveled player or something else which i will not say for the sake of anybody young reading this. For example: A player who just started playing who is like i don't know 10-11 years old was called a noob. They asked their parent what it meant and they said something like "I do not want you playing this game any more if they allow this kind of language," their account is deleted and they can never enjoy the fun of this game ever again.
I hate being called a noob, especilly if the wizard is lower in level of me.But sadly the word noob is NOT filtered and the wizard doesn't get penalized if you report them for calling you that. The only thing you can do is not call ANYONE a noob and if you do see someone being called a noob say something like "Hey stop it he/she doesn't like being called a noob," you never know you could make a new friend.
Merry Christmas,
Grace F. lvl 43,life
Cya in the spiral!

A lot of stuff is filtered already. Noob is nothing more than a new person playing the game and shouldn't be filtered. If a person cant' handle being called a noob then they should work hard on their wizard and "earn" the right to be called a good player.

As one person put it, it is not profanity. and should be left alone. As is too many words have been filtered minus the bad words.

Archon
Oct 24, 2010
It doesn't matter the age of the player on either end of the word noob. It means newbie, aka new player. Everyone was new at one time. Just click 'ignore' and move on.

Survivor
May 15, 2009
RavenLady777 wrote:
Everyone was new at one time.
Same thing I say whenever i see someone call someone else a noob. ' You were one once too, you know!'

Hero
Sep 08, 2008
You know, if I were a KI forum moderator, and been reading about this topic for 3+ years now, I'd come to the conclusion that the majority thinks the word 'noob' is a derogative term and would finally remove that word from chat. ALL chat.

KingsIsle, what is wrong with you? I see nothing wrong with some much worse terminology, yet you do not hesitate at all to remove those from chat.

Your game is made so it is comfortable place to play for all people. Well, the word 'noob' most certainly does not comfort many people. What harm does it do to remove that word from chat? No harm at all. If anything, it will make most people feel better and much more at ease.

What is taking you guys so darn long to understand this?

Squire
Apr 18, 2010
Champion
Apr 18, 2010
Solution: Ignore Button
Other solution: Call them back, and leave.
Other other solution: Just ignore it, without they ignore button.

Ex. One time I was doing a PvP, and some level 54 (i was 58, grant it) kept calling me noobs, and threaten to hack me. I said, "OK". He exploded threating to come to my house and beat me up, I said, OK. It was by far the funniest thing ever. I chained stunned him, then smashed him, and his buddy with an Efreet. He reported me, and both me and my brother, said, OK.

Champion
Jul 30, 2010
bushbaby123 wrote:
A player who just started playing who is like i don't know 10-11 years old was called a noob. They asked their parent what it meant and they said something like "I do not want you playing this game any more if they allow this kind of language," their account is deleted and they can never enjoy the fun of this game ever again.
You forget a 10 or 11 year old shouldnt have text chat so how could they know if people call them nooobs? If they obey the rules and dont lie about their age it shouldnt be a problem. That is why text chat is for slightly more matured 13 and up. So if you dont like people being mean to you dont lie about your age it will save you a ton of trouble and ki a lot of complaints.

Explorer
Sep 01, 2010
I have one word that helps solve mean person problems: so.
Hey you! You're a noob. So
Hey get outa my house noob. If you are a higher lvl say: I am the noob?
If you are both the same lvl say: You called yourself a noob! haha.
I hope that works.

Survivor
Oct 01, 2011
I am level 63 and ppl still call me a noob even though i way higher lvl than them if anyone says that just click the (Ignore) button and continue with your quests :D

Nathan AshBlood legendary
lvl 63 thuergist

p.s Merry Christmas to all :D

Squire
Jun 19, 2009
Y
hanable33 wrote:
bushbaby123 wrote:
A player who just started playing who is like i don't know 10-11 years old was called a noob. They asked their parent what it meant and they said something like "I do not want you playing this game any more if they allow this kind of language," their account is deleted and they can never enjoy the fun of this game ever again.
You forget a 10 or 11 year old shouldnt have text chat so how could they know if people call them nooobs? If they obey the rules and dont lie about their age it shouldnt be a problem. That is why text chat is for slightly more matured 13 and up. So if you dont like people being mean to you dont lie about your age it will save you a ton of trouble and ki a lot of complaints.

Yes, but this is where you'll hit the bump in the road... This would not stop the topics but make them worse. Text chat makes it easier to communicate and battle. I say they should be allowed for text chat, but when they are 10-11 with open chat, that is ridiculous. I have open chat and see all the time young kids with it. How do I know? Either its some really immature adults or just young kids. Its been misused to the point where open chat is getting many restrictions too. Of course, my opinion wont matter as the problem will grow worse. The world has changed from the 90's and now people aren't as friendly to each other...

Illuminator
Feb 09, 2009
Shiningfantasia wrote:
You know, if I were a KI forum moderator, and been reading about this topic for 3+ years now, I'd come to the conclusion that the majority thinks the word 'noob' is a derogative term and would finally remove that word from chat. ALL chat.

KingsIsle, what is wrong with you? I see nothing wrong with some much worse terminology, yet you do not hesitate at all to remove those from chat.

Your game is made so it is comfortable place to play for all people. Well, the word 'noob' most certainly does not comfort many people. What harm does it do to remove that word from chat? No harm at all. If anything, it will make most people feel better and much more at ease.

It's taking them "so darn long" because it's completely unnecessary. I think they're trying to send the message that they can't just fix everything for you because at the end of the day, they simply cannot enforce good manners. It's stated clear as day in their Code of Conduct. The only option they have is to remove words and phrases that are definitively derogatory or suggestive and words that resemble those words. 'Noob' is not downright egregious. Its definition is still up for debate to this day, so no, they're not about to ban the word 'noob' because it's not necessary or (prudent for that matter) at this juncture in any way. You might see that the "majority" feels the word is offensive, but I don't. I see it more as 50/50. I'd honestly recommend that KI keep the word 'noob' in the game's dictionary because the backlash will be 10x worse than the "King/Ruler of the Jungle" badge controversy.

Champion
Jul 30, 2010
hunteray09 wrote:
Y
hanable33 wrote:
bushbaby123 wrote:

Yes, but this is where you'll hit the bump in the road... This would not stop the topics but make them worse. Text chat makes it easier to communicate and battle. I say they should be allowed for text chat, but when they are 10-11 with open chat, that is ridiculous. I have open chat and see all the time young kids with it. How do I know? Either its some really immature adults or just young kids. Its been misused to the point where open chat is getting many restrictions too. Of course, my opinion wont matter as the problem will grow worse. The world has changed from the 90's and now people aren't as friendly to each other...
menue chat is ment for kids less mature who cant handle any slight trash talk but i have a few friend who are to young yet seem quite mature.

Survivor
Dec 11, 2008
Your only a Noob is you can't handle the word noob. I can say that I have never called anyone a noob and have never been called a noob. But if a person does call me that then I would only want to duel them so hopefully they would have a dueling circle in their home in w101. If they don't have one then I would challenge them to a game of knowledge about w101. :) I don't think anyone would actually accept though unfortuantly. Oh well. This storm wizard will just continue to Storm Pwn. Later!

Squire
Jan 21, 2010
Shiningfantasia wrote:

Most companies do not allow customers to make global decisions about their product.
Besides if you cross some lines you find a slippery slope on the other side. Where does it stop? Set your game to menu chat and pretend like everyone else is as restricted as you are!
By limiting those others, you limit me. You limit me and have the gall to tell me that it is for my own good. You expect me live with limitations that are meant to restrict people who actually break the rules. You vote for me, and expect me to take your decision, for me, in happy acceptance?
How Dare You!
I greed to follow the rules of the game. You are not an employee of KI you are trying to change the rules, I do not like that.

I too can be self righteous! At least I admit the self instead of hiding behind a vague, undefined, majority. I mean just how many of you folks are there? Is it really a majority?

Why can't parents explain to their child what a word means and why they should not use that word? It's what my parents and school teachers did for me. Does that not solve the problem without further intervention? Is that the problem? Do you feel the need to be involved? Do you wish to champion a cause? Can you not pick a real world issue? Do you have to bother me during my distraction from that world with those same issues?

Explorer
Jun 04, 2009
I hate it when people call each other noobs, I mean come on it means new! And whenever I see a person call a wizard a noob, 1. I either tell them to back off and add the wizard being picked on, or say: hey we were all noobs once, so stop it alright! And ya know what's funny?(not really) they call me a noob lol and I don't care, my level speaks for itself (70). And by the way the guy/girl calling people a noob is usually a noob, or a high level wizard! I dont get it! Come on guys it is a childrens entertainment! Stop the cussing! Stop the insults! Stop the harassment! Stop the bullying!
Lvl 61 myth, lvl 70 death, lvl 14 balance, LVL 1 STORM!

P.S the wizard you might be picking on may have other wizards! Probably higher then you just leveling up yet another wizard to get to a higher lvl wizard again, instead of wasting time calling people noobs! Disappointing guys!

Survivor
Aug 13, 2010
bushbaby123 wrote:
Merry Christmas,
Grace F. lvl 43,life
Cya in the spiral!
this is true what bush baby123 said no one wants to be called a noob people who get called this on wizard 101 should ask one of their friends for help if the person who called you noob is your friend delete him or her if you don't want to you don't have to but if you do decide to delete that peson maybe you could try and work things out with your friend before you delete Him or her then you would probably see you friend is nice just was mad about some thing and if they say it wasn't that they were mad it might be because they were jeleous of some thing that you were wearing or your house or what lvl your friends are on or if you have a membership or some thing remember this so if or ever happens to you you will know exactly what to do and what to say but it probaly will not happen to you because all the friends I have on wizard 101 are the best friends I have ever had on wizard101 your friends are probaly the same Erin fire stone lvl 22 fire and also watch for my friend too he is awesome Joshua giant hunter lvl12 fire cya in the spiral I hope :P

Survivor
Dec 20, 2011
Every one calls me a noob and I've been playing for two weeks but I'm level 29 and counting.it shoul stay because you get called a noob fight back!!!!

"I rock, but don't like metal .i'm a diviner ,but aren't divine.but it don't matter because in a fight you'll all the way back to unicorn way!"-

Michael swiftstalker,level 29 diviner- wysteria

Squire
Dec 21, 2008
I think that noob is an annoying just joined person. Newbie is the just joined person (but regular). And noob? Wow. I'm not a big fan of the word noob but I know it's not a bad word.

Caroline Sunbright level 70

Survivor
Apr 04, 2009
it is basicly if you call someone a noob then you are a noob simple as that. :D

Mastermind
Aug 10, 2011
mathews223 wrote:
it is basicly if you call someone a noob then you are a noob simple as that. :D

Uh..... O_O O.O

Alura Mythshade level 50 Necromancer
Calamity Orgeblossom level 35 Theurgist
Cheryl Trollcaster level 41 Pyromancer