Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

brighten up snowflake wall hangings.

AuthorMessage
Squire
Jan 21, 2010
I bought a large snowflake wall hanging. While the snowflake is selected, during placement, the snow flake is a nice bright white. When I actually place the snowflake on the wall it turns grey. I guess the snowflake is supposed to reflect the light in the room. Though it doesn't seem to matter how many candles or light sconces I put near it.

I know that some items are always bright and some items are always dark no matter where they are placed. Indeed there are a number of items that are so dark, that I cannot see any detail on them unless I go into placement mode and hover the cursor over them. Of course this doesn't help me when I visit in other people's houses, nor does it help people visiting my house.

For example the oni statue is always a brilliant white, why cannot the snowflake have this property? The first housing object I found to be too dark was a purple stone with a bear claw design. It may as well be a plain purple rock, the design is lost in the "shadow."
Seriously though, I see a bright white snowflake in the crowns shop; I place it in my dorm room and it turns stone grey with faintly orange highlights? The school plaques and shields are always brightly lit when placed.
I would like every furniture item to be bright so that I can see their designs.
I mean really! The snowflake is the color of snow slush, from the road, as seen by candle light!

Defender
Jan 20, 2010
zebulous wrote:
I bought a large snowflake wall hanging. While the snowflake is selected, during placement, the snow flake is a nice bright white. When I actually place the snowflake on the wall it turns grey. I guess the snowflake is supposed to reflect the light in the room. Though it doesn't seem to matter how many candles or light sconces I put near it.

I know that some items are always bright and some items are always dark no matter where they are placed. Indeed there are a number of items that are so dark, that I cannot see any detail on them unless I go into placement mode and hover the cursor over them. Of course this doesn't help me when I visit in other people's houses, nor does it help people visiting my house.

For example the oni statue is always a brilliant white, why cannot the snowflake have this property? The first housing object I found to be too dark was a purple stone with a bear claw design. It may as well be a plain purple rock, the design is lost in the "shadow."
Seriously though, I see a bright white snowflake in the crowns shop; I place it in my dorm room and it turns stone grey with faintly orange highlights? The school plaques and shields are always brightly lit when placed.
I would like every furniture item to be bright so that I can see their designs.
I mean really! The snowflake is the color of snow slush, from the road, as seen by candle light!

The problem you are having is that you are placing the snowflake on a gray wall. The Snowflake is somewhat translucent, and therefor you are picking up the color of the wall on the other side.

for the best effect, try hanging it on the "Snowy Night" wallpaper in the crowns shop.

Squire
Jan 21, 2010
I did not mention what wall paper I was using, because I didn't think that it mattered. I AM using snowy night wall paper!

What now, mister magic?!

Squire
Jan 21, 2010
Ah, JinZah I read your post and became annoyed.
I don 't see my reply. If it does get posted I do apologize.

Now then:

I already had the snowy night wall paper on the walls in my dorm room before I placed the large snowflake. After reading your comment I tried the snowflake in the cottage house and the sultan's palace. The snowflakes are off white when hanging on a wall. When placed against a white wall in the sultan's palace the snowflake looks particularly ugly. If you place the snowflake in the darkest corners of the sultan's palace the snowflake looks appropriate. In those two corners, on the ground floor as far from the windows as possible, the white specks on the wall are the same off white as the snowflake. In the cottage the snowflake is just grey.

In the dorm room if you face the wall opposite the door:
placing the Large snowflake on the walls to either side of the door cause it to lose most of its small spokes, and it is grey. If you place a snowflake on the wall opposite the door it will turn blue. still facing that wall skipping the windows: if you place the snowflake on the right hand wall, the flake will be grey. If you place the snowflake on the left hand wall it will be a very dark blue, almost black. The snowflake is actually difficult to see against this wall if you are using snowy night wall paper.
These colors are constant, you can use the snowy night wall paper, snowflake wall paper or bare dorm walls. The snow flake is always the described color for that particular wall. I used a large snowflake and then a small snowflake on each of the five walls. I changed wall papers loaded a new wizard then switched back to view the two snowflakes against the different backgrounds.

I hypothesize that the snowflake wall hangings are receiving the same lighting effect as the wall they are hanging on.
School shields, plaques, and banners do not have this limitation as any white markings on them are always bright no matter what wall they are on. Again, I would prefer the snowflake wall hangings to also have the same highlighted effect as the school wall hangings.

Thank you JinZah for your post, I would never have done all of that testing if I had not become angry after reading your post.