Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Storm Shield Spamming In PvP

AuthorMessage
Delver
Oct 05, 2010
I will like to begin by vouching for storm :
-Storm is a school meant to cause quick and fast damage to make up for their health but since shields began to be spammed against them this balance has been tipped to favor the opponent.
-Low level pip moves such as storm snake, lightning bats, wild bolt also waste blades and time while the opponent can simply cast another 0 pip glacial shield or get bladed for a monstrous attack against storm.
-About the prisms, only works for 1v1 and why does storm have to waste another round (which determines a lot in a PvP match) while the rest don't have to?
-Those who suggest shatter or pierce, there's such a thing as DUAL SHIELDS and why does storm have to waste 6 pips just to break shields (4 if you have myth mastery amulet).
-A storm DoT will not break PvP, it would also waste blades and it would simply make the opponent have to time their shields instead of just spamming them.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Reasons not to give storm a DoT:
-Without shield spamming storm would win 75% of all their battles without using an actual strategy.
-Team up with myth and let them clear shields problem solved.
-Life doesn't have a DoT either and they do a lot less damage then storm THEY DESERVE IT MORE.
-Have you guys ever heard of transmute storm elf, I mean really if you can't afford a few treasure cards thats pretty pathetic.
-You guys seem to critical most of the time so that basically already surpass our shields anyways.
-Wild bolt them constantly, then attack with kraken or something since you guys don't even need blades to cause some serious damage.
-If storm shields are such an inconvenience to you, use insane bolt since it only hits you 20% of the time ( I once got hit 5 times in a row by this move).

Please reply with reasons why you oppose or support my reasons for storm having a DoT or not.

Explorer
Aug 14, 2011
TheDarkestMask wrote:
-Storm is a school meant to cause quick and fast damage to make up for their health but since shields began to be spammed against them this balance has been tipped to favor the opponent.
-Low level pip moves such as storm snake, lightning bats, wild bolt also waste blades and time while the opponent can simply cast another 0 pip glacial shield or get bladed for a monstrous attack against storm.
-About the prisms, only works for 1v1 and why does storm have to waste another round (which determines a lot in a PvP match) while the rest don't have to?
-Those who suggest shatter or pierce, there's such a thing as DUAL SHIELDS and why does storm have to waste 6 pips just to break shields (4 if you have myth mastery amulet).
-A storm DoT will not break PvP, it would also waste blades and it would simply make the opponent have to time their shields instead of just spamming them.
-Without shield spamming storm would win 75% of all their battles without using an actual strategy.
-Life doesn't have a DoT either and they do a lot less damage then storm THEY DESERVE IT MORE.
-Have you guys ever heard of transmute storm elf, I mean really if you can't afford a few treasure cards thats pretty pathetic.
-You guys seem to critical most of the time so that basically already surpass our shields anyways.
-Wild bolt them constantly, then attack with kraken or something since you guys don't even need blades to cause some serious damage.
-If storm shields are such an inconvenience to you, use insane bolt since it only hits you 20% of the time ( I once got hit 5 times in a row by this move).

Please reply with reasons why you oppose or support my reasons for storm having a DoT or not.

Storm really shouldn't have DoT, because, you don't have to worry about Storm shields anyways. The majority of Storm wizards that I have battled just use Vengeance then attack. It seems like Storm can never get Critical Blocked, especially with Vengeance.

Just don't use blades at the beginning of the match, Storm doesn't need it! Just use Gargantuan Thunder Snake, Lightning bats, or Wild bolt to get rid of shields. Once there health is low (because you most likely got a critical every turn with Vengeance), Storm Blade, then Kraken or Storm Lord *Maybe a Stormzilla or Triton*.

If Storm had a DoT, it kinda would ruin PvP, due to the already strong attacks, high boost (almost at 100%), and high critical.

Imagine this:
A Diviner with, let's say, 92% storm boost. Stormblade - Elemental Blade - Treasure Storm blade - Treasure Elemental Blade - Darkwind - Gargantuan/Colossal - (Storm DoT: Input name here) __________

That's 92 + 30 + 35 + 35 (idk, maybe 40) + 40 + 25 adds up to 257% damage boost, plus Storm's already high attack powered spells. Add a Critical, that's double the damage. Subtract the common Waterworks resist, about 30%, so 227% added to that DoT, not having to worry about shields at all.

If that wouldn't ruin PvP, I don't know what would.

Explorer
Aug 14, 2011
TheDarkestMask wrote:

Storm really shouldn't have DoT, because, you don't have to worry about Storm shields anyways. The majority of Storm wizards that I have battled just use Vengeance then attack. It seems like Storm can never get Critical Blocked, especially with Vengeance.

Just don't use blades at the beginning of the match, Storm doesn't need it! Just use Gargantuan Thunder Snake, Lightning bats, or Wild bolt to get rid of shields. Once there health is low (because you most likely got a critical every turn with Vengeance), Storm Blade, then Kraken or Storm Lord *Maybe a Stormzilla or Triton*.

If Storm had a DoT, it kinda would ruin PvP, due to the already strong attacks, high boost (almost at 100%), and high critical.

Imagine this:
A Diviner with, let's say, 92% storm boost. Stormblade - Elemental Blade - Treasure Storm blade - Treasure Elemental Blade - Darkwind - Gargantuan/Colossal - (Storm DoT: Input name here) __________

That's 92 + 30 + 35 + 35 (idk, maybe 40) + 40 + 25 adds up to 257% damage boost, plus Storm's already high attack powered spells. Add a Critical, that's double the damage. Subtract the common Waterworks resist, about 30%, so 227% added to that DoT, not having to worry about shields at all.

If that wouldn't ruin PvP, I don't know what would.

(I know that's not really how to calculate it, since they count one blade at a time, but this is kind of an overview)

Armiger
May 10, 2010
Well, I am not exactly sure where some of you get your math skills, but let me put this into perspective.

Ice: Resistance to Storm 70% + 20% Fortify Treasure card = 90% resistance for 4 rounds.

Ice Health 4400 range.

This is without ice using any shields.

Fire has good resistance also, which is not as high, but close enough and has several DoT attacks to tear apart any storm shields.

Fire also is around 3500 range in health.

Compare that to storm, who does not get any natural DoT spells, is losing damage boosts, is only around 2500 health, has lowest critical block stats, and lowest resistance of any school.

On top of that, spells are getting nerfed!

Yeah, keep complaining about storm, I am one for balance and I normally defend all schools, including Ice, but if this keeps up, I will start an all out war to Nerf all schools.

Defender
Jan 20, 2010
Farm Harvest Lord for the cap with a Storm Elf card, get the Storm Elf pet, train to Fire Elf, and buy mutates in the bazaar. Do these things and your need for a storm DoT is filled

Defender
Feb 06, 2010
Wow, my single thread started all of this.

Back to the point: EVERY school has to face shields; even ones without DoTs.

(I realize Balance doesn't have an actual shield, but it has it's own disadvantages, and this isn't about the Balance School).

Here's the thing, it doesn't really matter if we feel the Storm school should receive a DoT or not; Kingsisle will be the one to ultimately decide if that's what should be added to the game.

Discussions should just end here; it's all opinion, not fact anyway.

Armiger
May 10, 2010
kamarynjelise wrote:

(I realize Balance doesn't have an actual shield, but it has it's own disadvantages, and this isn't about the Balance School).

Here's the thing, it doesn't really matter if we feel the Storm school should receive a DoT or not; Kingsisle will be the one to ultimately decide if that's what should be added to the game.

You stated something, we have the right to state our views on what you stated.

You state that Every school has to face shields; even ones without DoTs.

Fire, has many DoTs both against single enemies and AoE.
Ice, has many Dots both against single enemies and AoE.
Storm, has to use mutate and 2 training points, or get pet(1 card).
Balance, has 2 different multi attack spells and no Balance shield.
Death, has a few DoT spells against single opponents.
Life, has no DoT spell, and should also get one.

Now, as for PvP, one thing that most people can agree on, to anyone who actually plays PvP that is, is that most train tower shield. Which means, that most have many storm shields and use them quite often.

Storm shield is the most spammed shield in PvP, even more so than tower(maybe) very close comparison.

Also, when you look at the resistance that Ice is now getting to storm and even fire is not that far behind, without storm having a DoT spell, how are they ever supposed to keep up with the health and resistance of an Ice Wizard?

People really need to think and analyse the situation before they just flat out post saying No.

Delver
Oct 05, 2010
darthjt wrote:
kamarynjelise wrote:

Now, as for PvP, one thing that most people can agree on, to anyone who actually plays PvP that is, is that most train tower shield. Which means, that most have many storm shields and use them quite often.

Storm shield is the most spammed shield in PvP, even more so than tower(maybe) very close comparison.

Also, when you look at the resistance that Ice is now getting to storm and even fire is not that far behind, without storm having a DoT spell, how are they ever supposed to keep up with the health and resistance of an Ice Wizard?

People really need to think and analyse the situation before they just flat out post saying No.

As much as I'd despise the idea of storm getting a DoT I think storm deserves something to surpass shields. As a death warlord I always have tower shields in my deck and I also keep a few volcanic shields in any case I battle storm. I've also noticed that Ice is getting overpowered..not only can they completely crush storm with their extreme health and defenses but mostly any school except fire and myth. Life truly deserves DoT most of all if you ask me but at the very least storm needs a DoT spell against single opponents cause in PvP storm battles are mostly based on luck with wild bolt spells and insane bolt spells cause of the storm shield spam crisis I would like to see someone give some very good reasons why NOT to give storm some DoT's.

Defender
Feb 06, 2010
darthjt wrote:
kamarynjelise wrote:

I never said that others can't state their opinions. And judging by your response, you've missed the point of what I said. No one's going to change anyone's mind on the matter, so just leave it to Kingsisle.

And yes, I have analyzed it, I just don't agree. Ever heard of having different opinions??

Besides, there's no reason to discuss this now, Zafaria was JUST released, meaning the next world (and spells) won't be released for at least another year.

So your options for Storm shields will remain the same for another year or so, get over it, I have.

Survivor
Jun 23, 2009
Are you angry because YOUR strategies aren't working and THEIRS are? Dude, deal with it. Honestly..! It's just their way of winning. You're just mad that you can't win now. :P

Armiger
May 10, 2010
kamarynjelise wrote:
darthjt wrote:
kamarynjelise wrote:

I never said that others can't state their opinions. And judging by your response, you've missed the point of what I said. No one's going to change anyone's mind on the matter, so just leave it to Kingsisle.

And yes, I have analyzed it, I just don't agree. Ever heard of having different opinions??

Besides, there's no reason to discuss this now, Zafaria was JUST released, meaning the next world (and spells) won't be released for at least another year.

So your options for Storm shields will remain the same for another year or so, get over it, I have.

Well, here is the thing, KI actually does read these posts and takes into consideration what people have to say. They listen to both sides.

Now, if I was to let your post go unchecked, because you are not storm and dont want storm to have any DoT spells, then I would be the fool.

I am nobody's fool, so, when it comes to posts like this, I state the facts.

Yes, you are entitled to your opinion, but until you walk a mile in their shoes, it doesn't really count.

As for waiting another year and getting over it, lol, you are funny. Did schools not get new spells with the release of Wintertusk? That was not a whole new world, that was just an expansion.

Just because you may not like something, does not mean it is best for the game or everyone involved.

Explorer
Aug 14, 2011
darthjt wrote:
kamarynjelise wrote:
darthjt wrote:
kamarynjelise wrote:

Well, here is the thing, KI actually does read these posts and takes into consideration what people have to say. They listen to both sides.

Now, if I was to let your post go unchecked, because you are not storm and dont want storm to have any DoT spells, then I would be the fool.

Yes, you are entitled to your opinion, but until you walk a mile in their shoes, it doesn't really count.

As for waiting another year and getting over it, lol, you are funny. Did schools not get new spells with the release of Wintertusk? That was not a whole new world, that was just an expansion.

Just because you may not like something, does not mean it is best for the game or everyone involved.

Exactly...

It would actually be pretty cool if they made a new expansion, like Wintertusk, and had Storm have a DoT, but one that costs a lot of pips for not too much damage (still good damage, just not too much).

Storm Elf would be too good, considering most Diviners don't use blades anyway and it would just be an amazing shield breaker. (The reason fire has Fire Elf is because they need blades for their attacks and Elf would take away their blades for small damage)

Maybe the DoT could be (7 or 8 pips - [Around] 300 + [Around] 600 Damage over 3 rounds) That's a 900 damage DoT for 7 or 8 pips, while Diviners still keep their damage, and Colossal/Gargantuan could affect the first attack most, so it's not considered too overpowered. (It could be equal to Storm Lord, almost, if you count the Stun as 200 damage - 200 + 690 = 890 damage)

But, if you're suggesting that Ice already has 70% resist to Storm + 20% fortify = 90% resist (without any shields), then how will a DoT help in the first place. Yeah, it will help against other schools, but I don't see the point against Ice.

For now though, Storm Elf treaasures, Storm Hound pets and Amulet are the way to go.

P.S.-
Really, kamarynjelise, I doubt your thread started all of this (all of this being 9 or 10 small posts )

Delver
Oct 05, 2010
QueenJade124 wrote:
Are you angry because YOUR strategies aren't working and THEIRS are? Dude, deal with it. Honestly..! It's just their way of winning. You're just mad that you can't win now. :P

If You're Referring To Me, Then I Must Tell You That 70% Of The Time I Win Against Storm And I Also Happen To Be A Pro Storm Shield Spammer I Just Wanted To Hear The Opinions Of Everyone Else.

Delver
Aug 15, 2009
TheDarkestMask wrote:

As much as I'd despise the idea of storm getting a DoT I think storm deserves something to surpass shields. As a death warlord I always have tower shields in my deck and I also keep a few volcanic shields in any case I battle storm. I've also noticed that Ice is getting overpowered..not only can they completely crush storm with their extreme health and defenses but mostly any school except fire and myth. Life truly deserves DoT most of all if you ask me but at the very least storm needs a DoT spell against single opponents cause in PvP storm battles are mostly based on luck with wild bolt spells and insane bolt spells cause of the storm shield spam crisis I would like to see someone give some very good reasons why NOT to give storm some DoT's.

I agree, is very unfair our Storm School has to suffer like that.

Maybe to help Storm wizards, Storm Hound could be trainable.

Defender
Feb 06, 2010
darthjt wrote:
kamarynjelise wrote:
darthjt wrote:
kamarynjelise wrote:

Umm, actually, my Storm Wizard is lvl 66. And I'll repeat this one last time, I have wizards from ALL SCHOOLS (with the lowest lvl at 61). I pvp on all of them, and I can still win; shields or not.

A+ Student
Mar 02, 2010
TheDarkestMask wrote:

Storm shouldn't because Storm wizards are meant to attack once and make that one hit hard. Also, any shield effects Balance school so Balance is more into the problem then Storm.

Astrologist
Jun 04, 2010
darthjt wrote:
Well, I am not exactly sure where some of you get your math skills, but let me put this into perspective.

Ice: Resistance to Storm 70% + 20% Fortify Treasure card = 90% resistance for 4 rounds.

Here's the thread this quote came from! I've seen several folks reference it. At any rate, your math is wrong here. 70% + 20% fortify is an effective resistance to storm of 76%, not 90%. Here's why:

(1-.7) x (1-.2) = .24

If 24% is the remaining amount of damage (the part that wasn't resisted), then the two together represented a 76% resistance. I'd also like to point out that if the storm attacking was using both infallible and either a treasure unstoppable or an extraordinary, then the fortify would be completely negated and the ice would only be resisting at 55% because of how an armor pierce effect is applied.