Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

How can I stand up to rich wizards?

AuthorMessage
Defender
Mar 05, 2009
I've been playing for several years, with GM/Legendaries in each school. A couple of weeks ago I finally decided to start wizard #8 specifically for solo PVP. She's a level 15 Myth wizard with Ice secondary (can't get Tower until 16th) and she just learned Infection today. So far I'm 6-9, which is pretty discouraging, :( but I want to get better.

Most of my losses have been against apparently wealthy wizards, all decked out in the very best Crown gear and pockets full of high-rank Treasure cards. My most recent loss was to a level 12 Life wizard with a Myth Mastery amulet, who stomped me into the dirt with a Minotaur and Ninja Pigs back to back.

Money's really tight for our family, it's been hard just to scrape together enough to pay for our subscriptions each month. There's no way I can ever afford Crowns. So how am I ever supposed to compete against all those rich PVP wizards that spend Crowns like they grow on trees?

- Victoria RoseTalon, lvl 15 Myth

Explorer
Mar 27, 2011
from my own experience (i never bought crowns either), you need to wait until you are max level.

Most of the crown gear can be found around the spiral. One among others, mastery amulets drop rarely in waterworks and (apparently) tower of the helephant.
I know it may sound bad, but as much as I can understand your frustration (been there..), I also don't see the point of being warlord at lvl 20.

The title ought to belong to players that can stand any opponent (not beat - just stand for a reasonable time), and honestly no lvl 20 will ever compete against an undecent lvl 70 unless the first get an extremely lucky series of hits and the second plays without deck.
Then again: if you want to fight for fun, go to practice matches. People are less annoying there. If you play for the tickets, well, even loosing you will get some. generally enough to buy the items you will need when you will get to the right level.

To improve your deck, think of the treasure boosts: strong, giant and monstruous are cards that can be terribly useful on your one and two pip spells. Amplify costs no pips and will boost your next 4 hits. And you can buy higher level myth spells or special ones to help you out in battle (think of myth banshee, for example).

Finally, if you really got the urge to beat some people, buy some insane bolts: it will be a 50/50 chance (well 80/20, actually) but at least you get your chance before they can cast minotaur.

Squire
Apr 18, 2010
Quite frankly, you really can't. you should make a choice of crowns for a month or a sub. Maybe you could alternate, but i really don't know what you can do. I know your situation but there is nothing you can do against rich wizards. Just find a way to beat them I guess.

Delver
Aug 30, 2011
StarsongKY wrote:
I've been playing for several years, with GM/Legendaries in each school. A couple of weeks ago I finally decided to start wizard #8 specifically for solo PVP. She's a level 15 Myth wizard with Ice secondary (can't get Tower until 16th) and she just learned Infection today. So far I'm 6-9, which is pretty discouraging, :( but I want to get better.

Most of my losses have been against apparently wealthy wizards, all decked out in the very best Crown gear and pockets full of high-rank Treasure cards. My most recent loss was to a level 12 Life wizard with a Myth Mastery amulet, who stomped me into the dirt with a Minotaur and Ninja Pigs back to back.

Money's really tight for our family, it's been hard just to scrape together enough to pay for our subscriptions each month. There's no way I can ever afford Crowns. So how am I ever supposed to compete against all those rich PVP wizards that spend Crowns like they grow on trees?

yes, it is really hard. i used to be one of the "normal" wizards and my loses also are because of those "filthy rich" people you describe. well, at least during this summer i got a lot of crowns and became one of them. well, i mean, how can you lose to the low level 12? getting power pips at that level is rare and she cant possibly be able to collect enough to quickly attack with with minotaur and ninja pig. well i cant say anything about this, the people used their (or their parents') money to get such gear so you will just have to join them or try to stand them.

Champion
Apr 18, 2010
Level up or Rank up. Sorry, but that the only way. The reason being is that at higher levels, the dropped gear is better than the crowns gear. At higher ranks, the arena gear out classes crowns gear. Leveling up would alleviate the situation of mastery amulets (since their use drops at high levels.)

P.S.
You made it look like as if wizards who do spend crowns are bad and spoiled people. That is not true. They just have an advantage over wizards who don't spend crowns.

Hero
Jun 08, 2009
Solstice64 wrote:
Level up or Rank up. Sorry, but that the only way. The reason being is that at higher levels, the dropped gear is better than the crowns gear. At higher ranks, the arena gear out classes crowns gear. Leveling up would alleviate the situation of mastery amulets (since their use drops at high levels.)

P.S.
You made it look like as if wizards who do spend crowns are bad and spoiled people. That is not true. They just have an advantage over wizards who don't spend crowns.
Solstice is absolutely correct. I do have crowns, but I barely use any bought gear, just Hawkrider Claymore and Life Mastery, and that's because I normally save crowns. Now, at a lower level, yeah, Crowns gear rules the Arena, that's why I don't pvp on lower level wizards. Not a big fan of splurging on an Ascendant Staff just to get to Warlord before battles grow more intense. In my opinion, it's much more fun to max out your wizard, get cool gear and spells, then go blasting people into sparkly, magical dust with spells like Triton, Rain of Fire, and Skeletal Dragon. That's what the game is all about, after all. Also, Solstice is again correct, not all Crowns owners are spoiled brats (thankfully, i'm living proof of that fact lol).

Cya in the Spiral,

Paul Stormglade, Transcended Diviner, Sergeant-ranked Warlord Slayer

Go Sparks!

Defender
Mar 05, 2009
I didn't mean to imply wizards who can afford those things were spoiled or anything. It seemed a little unfair when I was on the losing end so many times, but I guess mostly I'm just jealous.

I have picked up a couple pieces of Crown gear dropped from Nightshade, a hat with a Sprite card and a robe with a Tower Shield, and a Weakness necklace, and those are helping some. I've also "borrowed" a Sea Dragon pet with Spritely from one of my Legendary alts until I can hatch and train my own Myth pet.

Hopefully more practice will help too, learning when to put shields or weakness up before the damage comes, but not too early so they don't just wand it away. Gaining levels & new spells will help too, I'm looking forward to my Death/Life combo shields & Tower Shield at 16th and my Cyclops minion at 18th, and the minion spells from the trainer in Krokotopia once I get there.

Champion
Jul 30, 2010
elvinlith wrote:
from my own experience (i never bought crowns either), you need to wait until you are max level.

Most of the crown gear can be found around the spiral. One among others, mastery amulets drop rarely in waterworks and (apparently) tower of the helephant.
I know it may sound bad, but as much as I can understand your frustration (been there..), I also don't see the point of being warlord at lvl 20.

The title ought to belong to players that can stand any opponent (not beat - just stand for a reasonable time), and honestly no lvl 20 will ever compete against an undecent lvl 70 unless the first get an extremely lucky series of hits and the second plays without deck.
Then again: if you want to fight for fun, go to practice matches. People are less annoying there. If you play for the tickets, well, even loosing you will get some. generally enough to buy the items you will need when you will get to the right level.

To improve your deck, think of the treasure boosts: strong, giant and monstruous are cards that can be terribly useful on your one and two pip spells. Amplify costs no pips and will boost your next 4 hits. And you can buy higher level myth spells or special ones to help you out in battle (think of myth banshee, for example).

Finally, if you really got the urge to beat some people, buy some insane bolts: it will be a 50/50 chance (well 80/20, actually) but at least you get your chance before they can cast minotaur.
yes i agree once you are max lvl you dont need to worry about because you wont face those people for a long time. mainly because they are high ranked.

Survivor
Mar 14, 2010
StarsongKY wrote:

Just to inform you there is a way. inviting some friends to play will give you a little over one thousand crowns. Just invite someone that you know and if they get sub then *boom* you get crowns.

Explorer
Feb 25, 2010
Tower will make a huge difference! And you're right, timing is a lot. If you can get even a few crowns, Heartsteel athame from the wizard city vendor in the shopping district is only 250 crowns and gives 5% universal defense.

The spritely pet will also help a lot because just one sprite is probably 1/3 of your health or so.

I find that the treasures that help the most are weakness (especially for double attack or DOT schools) and treasure tower (especially for max judgement players). High ranking attack spells are too expensive to spend the gold OR the pips on at low level. Think more about how to defend against the most predictable attacks, like the pet card users, while casting the spells that you can afford.

Good luck!