Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

storm minion

AuthorMessage
Explorer
Dec 21, 2008
Please kingsisle why did you make the storm minion selfish. Can you change him. he heals the full health people instead of healing the people who are about to die. plus he does not even know how to attack

Survivor
Mar 12, 2010
He isn't suppose to attack. As storm, with your low health, he spams shields on himself and then taunts, causing the enemies to hit him and his shields so storm can do damage without worrying about health.

Wolf Battletalon
Level 62 diviner

Hero
Jun 11, 2010
If you mean the Water Elemental, then he is not supposed to attack. His spells are for healing you while the diviner dishes out damage.

Delver
Aug 15, 2009
ptpanthers wrote:
He isn't suppose to attack. As storm, with your low health, he spams shields on himself and then taunts, causing the enemies to hit him and his shields so storm can do damage without worrying about health.

Wolf Battletalon
Level 62 diviner

Taunting is very useless and he only heals and shield himself, the minion is as far the worst minion.

What the minion should actually do is shield and heal the wizard and attack with shark, bats and storm-elf.

Defender
Jan 20, 2010
ptpanthers wrote:

Wolf Battletalon
Level 62 diviner

The problem with your statement is that even if you summon him in round one, he won't start taunting until turn 5 or 6, while you are desperate for healing by turn 4. This minion needs a reality check, if he dies, oh well, but if you die the match is over. it really should refocus it's healing, and shields to the caster if his health drops under 50%.

Survivor
Jun 08, 2011
I am balance but when I cast my minion spell it either comes out as ice, fire or storm. Between the three I like the strom best. He/It has saved me a few times because he plays defense and uses Taunt which then allowes me time to get my defenses back in order and to heal. There has been times when I have been nearly KOed but the storm gave me enough time to mount a comeback. He/It shouldn't be changed at all.

Armiger
Feb 25, 2009
This same subject has come up a few times in the past and it hasn't been changed yet.

I have used mine a few times and occasionally he will give me a heal, but other wise, he is useless.

Foxtrump, I also have a balance wizard with the same minion, but don't even load it. I use the Helpful Mander instead since he does give me pips and shields, so I am able to heal myself when needed.

Adherent
Jul 03, 2010
goldendragon18 wrote:
This same subject has come up a few times in the past and it hasn't been changed yet.

I have used mine a few times and occasionally he will give me a heal, but other wise, he is useless.

Foxtrump, I also have a balance wizard with the same minion, but don't even load it. I use the Helpful Mander instead since he does give me pips and shields, so I am able to heal myself when needed.

Same here he shields and heals self repeatedly, occasionally throws me a bone, taunts till the cows come home and they still never hit him even though I wish for it, he makes me so frustrated I want to walk over to him and drain him to the ground, needless to say I don't need that in my deck to annoy me, he's outta there.

The really good minions have no health, do get hit and die before you actually get good use out of them, no win win here, past Krock Land you are just wasting pips on them, to bad they didn't make them for the whole game not just the beginning of it but I guess that would make henchman unemployed and we can't have that.

Delver
Aug 15, 2009
As you can see many people have ask for storm minion to be improve, but since we are storm wizards KI doesn't want to improve it.

The other minions got improve, but ours didn't.

Adherent
Mar 18, 2009
The Water Elemental's taunt will not work if you are taunting the enemies at the same time. You can taunt by using the Taunt spell, attacking, or healing yourself or someone else. If you don't do these things and let your minion Taunt, it "will" start getting the attention.

My advice is either to blade up, shield up, or shield up your minion while you are waiting on enough pips to blast the enemies away in one shot. Once you start attacking your Water Elemental is useless and should be destroyed for either health or pips.

However, in the areas where enemies can crtical, minions have been severely handicapped and don't provide the same utility like they did in Dragonspyre.

Astrologist
Jun 04, 2010
Daviato wrote:
As you can see many people have ask for storm minion to be improve, but since we are storm wizards KI doesn't want to improve it.

The other minions got improve, but ours didn't.

Do you honestly think that KI considers storm wizards to be the red-headed step child of the game? What improvement was made to other minions but not to storm? There is always a difference of opinion among players of various schools and if you review the boards, you will see MANY storm wizards who want to keep the minion the way he is. Personally, I love him and use him frequently both in PvE and PvP. The difference is I didn't start with the storm school and therefore I have never was able to reduce my strategy to simply "strike first, strike hard, strike often".

The storm minion works great when used while the player shields until the enemies begin attacking him. This is because healing or attacking will draw fire to you. Used strategically, he will take the heat off you long enough for you to blade, trap, or both so that you can wipe the field in a single strike. He is effective in PvP because you will find many players deploy minions for the express purpose of destroying shields. Our little friend here will draw their shield breaking attacks to himself, thereby allowing you to force your opponent to contend with your shields and he has enough health to withstand most unboosted 4 pip AoE attacks.

As with most complaints about minions (and there are many, from every school) it seems that the issue arises when one does not see the strategic value of the minion and therefore works against it rather than with it.

Astrologist
Jun 04, 2010
kingurz wrote:
However, in the areas where enemies can crtical, minions have been severely handicapped and don't provide the same utility like they did in Dragonspyre.

I would add, however, that a 3 pip minion taking one or two giant strikes is more effective than a 3 pip spirit armor. That makes them useful even in higher levels. I have seen many players who still use a spirit armor in Celestia while complaining about how useless a minion is, and the reality is that your minion MIGHT shield and heal you before it dies as well as taking the hit(s) while you are prepping for a one hit kill.

Hero
Sep 08, 2008
I don't think Storm needs a minion. Ever.

Neither does Ice. I am still ticked that Ice minion can dish out shark attacks. Absolutely kills me inside. Why? I don't know. Maybe because shark was taken away from Myth minion.

And Myth is the master minion user, not Ice.

Storm does not need a minion.
Balance, being balance, I would grant them the use of a minion. Mander only.
Life does not need a minion.
Death definitely does not need a minion.
Fire really does not need a minion either, but I'd allow the current one.
Ice does not need a minion.
Myth. They are advertised as an official minion user. They deserve the minions for their low damage attacks.

Adherent
Mar 18, 2009
gtarhannon wrote:
kingurz wrote:

I would add, however, that a 3 pip minion taking one or two giant strikes is more effective than a 3 pip spirit armor. That makes them useful even in higher levels. I have seen many players who still use a spirit armor in Celestia while complaining about how useless a minion is, and the reality is that your minion MIGHT shield and heal you before it dies as well as taking the hit(s) while you are prepping for a one hit kill.

True, but these areas also have more enemies that cast powerful enemy all spells (like Frost Giant, Tempest, Fire Dragon, etc). Besides the Water Elemental and Talos, most minions only have 400 health, so even towers don't help. But yes, agree with you that minions are the only 100% shields in the game, it is just disappointing that they can no longer serve the role they were designed for at the higher levels.

Astrologist
Jun 04, 2010
kingurz wrote:
True, but these areas also have more enemies that cast powerful enemy all spells (like Frost Giant, Tempest, Fire Dragon, etc). Besides the Water Elemental and Talos, most minions only have 400 health, so even towers don't help. But yes, agree with you that minions are the only 100% shields in the game, it is just disappointing that they can no longer serve the role they were designed for at the higher levels.

Its certainly more of a challenge to keep your minion working for you than it was, I'll grant you. I tend to cast my minion when the enemies are low on pips (or about to be if I'm in second position) and then give it a bit of protection as well... particularly when I'm playing my myth. Well, unless I'm casting puppet. He's just meant to agitate them like a delayed 100% shield or act as a shield breaker. :D The thing about the attack all spells you mentioned is that most of them are elemental meaning that a single tower shield will generally augment my minion's elemental shield giving him a one hit 75% protection to fire, ice, or storm. I have strategies for every minion at high levels, actually... but that's probably best kept for a different thread. Regardless, the point is, if he lasts 3 to 4 rounds, then either does some damage, places a trap, or maybe heals or shields me, then finally takes a hit meant for me... he was worth the pips.

Hero
Sep 08, 2008
Yes, I see minions not as a damage source, but more as a shield source. Even if a single attack is diverted towards Talos, (which Talos would most likely survive) it will have served it's purpose.

Minions also don't run out of mana, nor spells. They can and will keep attacking/defending indefinitaly.

Now, discussing storm minions, even though it has a useful purpose, I found an effective way to play my Storm wizard without ever having to use him.

It has been established already that Storm minion has it's purpose, however great or little that it may be. Whether to actually use it is up to the player. If it serves no purpose to a certain wizard, then that wizard is free to not use that minion at all.

Much like I never ever use my Minotaur minion. Ever. Because it seems to me that the Minotaur minion was designed to be just like a Water minion is to a Storm wizard.

Survivor
Aug 15, 2011
waleedprw wrote:
Please kingsisle why did you make the storm minion selfish. Can you change him. he heals the full health people instead of healing the people who are about to die. plus he does not even know how to attack

i agree he uses about twenty sprites on him and one on you! he doesnt have any cards but a sprite and something i forgot and taunt! plz let storm have atleast a few good battle card!But sort of it is fair because my school, storm is the most powerful! But fizzles most!