Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Asking random people to be your friend.

AuthorMessage
Defender
Aug 26, 2010
I want to know what is up with random people asking to be my friend when I go through the commons or on my way to the Bazaar.

Is it because they see my gear and somehow get it in their heads I would gift them? (Let's not get into people standing around in the commons begging for stuff... guess there aren't any vagrancy laws in the Spiral)

I sometimes think they might need help on a quest, especially if they don't have open chat. I don't mind helping but rather than trying to "friend" me, first ask if I could help you, there are chat phrases for that. It makes more sense then to just randomly friend everyone you see.

If you are one of the people who ask random people to friend you, please tell me why.

Defender
Dec 23, 2009
TamelaD wrote:
I want to know what is up with random people asking to be my friend when I go through the commons or on my way to the Bazaar.

Is it because they see my gear and somehow get it in their heads I would gift them? (Let's not get into people standing around in the commons begging for stuff... guess there aren't any vagrancy laws in the Spiral)

I sometimes think they might need help on a quest, especially if they don't have open chat. I don't mind helping but rather than trying to "friend" me, first ask if I could help you, there are chat phrases for that. It makes more sense then to just randomly friend everyone you see.

If you are one of the people who ask random people to friend you, please tell me why.

ive had a similar experience. i was doing toh with some guy ive never met before. in the middle of the first battle he asked to be my best friend. i have no idea what he was trying to pull off so i just quit and started again

Survivor
Sep 12, 2010
TamelaD wrote:

Well random people ask me when I am am in the commons. But i'm not a person who asks random people. i think it is because of my high level.

Survivor
Aug 12, 2011
I ask random people but that is because I normally need help with a quest.

Illuminator
May 22, 2009
TamelaD wrote:

Most of the time, when you get a random friend request in WC, it is usually a young player. A year ago, when my 10 year old great-niece still played, I saw her randomly clicking on people and sending friend request. I explained to her that most people didn't like having people send them friend request. I would think there are other young players out there that do the same.

Hannah Lifebringer level 70 Life

Archon
Oct 24, 2010
Well that's kind of how you make 'friends' here. Everyone is random unless you have 'real life' friends that play the game.

I accept most friend requests. If they immediately ask for gifts, I simply ignore them. (Ignore is great 'cause they can't re-ask you to friend them over and over again.) And by accepting these requests, I've made friends who have helped me tremendously over the last year.

Give people a chance... there are some great players and really nice people out there!

Mastermind
Sep 19, 2009
Usually it is if I am doing quests with a random person. I friend them so if I die, I can port back into battle.

Hero
Aug 23, 2009
I get random friend request all the time, no matter the world, usually I accept and find out they need quest help that I am happy to provide and has led to becoming good friends in game. But as stated by others previously the "gifters" get ignored and deleted immediatley and I never hear from them again.

Hero
Jun 11, 2010
I'll usually be nice and friend any random person, but I'm going to clean out my friends list soon and only keep real friends. I try to only ask to friend either nice people who saved my butt in a battle, or people I know in real life.