Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

PowerPlay is useless, and needs to be altered

AuthorMessage
Geographer
Aug 28, 2010
Dear KI,

On the next update, please consider changing Balance Power Play so that's it useful.
As far as I can tell, when I use Power Play, it help everyone, including the enemy (Pve) and in PvP.
It is a spell that I never see used, I find it almost a spell designed to hurt Balance, in a number of ways.

Power Play would make sense, if it only helped Balance Wizards.

I will admit, I have seen one and only one Balance Warlord use it.
He downgraded his Pips, and built up defense, with designed plans on using it. He was the rare exception to the rule, no one else seems to wants it.

Yes, I can see it helping Balance to some degree at times, but the downside is that in PvP or in Pve, it's useless.

I would rather see it give just Balance spells +15%, that's better than what it is. How about -35% to Pips, that's better than what it is, imo.
That could affect Storm, Fire and Myth, but help Balance who already has high pip percentage.

I know that Helping Hands was upgraded to Availing Hands, and this was a big help. It made sense, because most Balance had moved to the Life Amulet and where using Satyr.

Imo, with the new level 68 spells, Balance can no longer compete in PvP.
Yes, they have the all famous Blade, Feint, Feint, trap, blade, shatter and Judge, but that is a mindless way to play.
This way of play is great for someone that doesn't want to form a stratergy.

Please look at giving us something, so that we can be compeditive in PvP.

If anyone decides to reply, and suggest the Myth Amulet and Shatter, (or state that feints use, is a great stratergy), don't.

Thanks,
Joe.

Astrologist
Jun 04, 2010
Lion359 wrote:
On the next update, please consider changing Balance Power Play so that's it useful.
As far as I can tell, when I use Power Play, it help everyone, including the enemy (Pve) and in PvP.

You're absolutely right. I have voted this spell the most useless of all time in many posts.

Lion359 wrote:
He downgraded his Pips, and built up defense, with designed plans on using it. He was the rare exception to the rule, no one else seems to wants it.

I find that an odd strategy. Power Play is 4 pips and the clear loser to every other school bubble. Since you can only have 1 up, it is an inevitable loss to "bubble war" folks which I commonly see in the arena. I myself have considered this strategy but discarded it for the very reason I just mentioned.

Lion359 wrote:
I would rather see it give just Balance spells +15%, that's better than what it is. How about -35% to Pips, that's better than what it is, imo.
That could affect Storm, Fire and Myth, but help Balance who already has high pip percentage.

If it was only 2 pips it would be useful, if only to compete in the bubble war or to more adequately support a defensive gear over power pips posture.

Lion359 wrote:
I know that Helping Hands was upgraded to Availing Hands, and this was a big help. It made sense, because most Balance had moved to the Life Amulet and where using Satyr.

Yes, they have the all famous Blade, Feint, Feint, trap, blade, shatter and Judge, but that is a mindless way to play.

If anyone decides to reply, and suggest the Myth Amulet and Shatter, (or state that feints use, is a great stratergy), don't.

Thanks,
Joe.

Bottom line here, I agree with you. Powerplay is one of if not "the" most useless spells in the game. Due to the high pip cost, I never even found it to be an effective spell at any point of PvE, no matter my level. I have only ever used it to thwart someone else's bubble and that only because it was on a piece of gear that I was using so it wasn't like I could take it out of my deck.

Hero
Jun 08, 2009
Hi, this is my two cents. Global spells like Powerplay are designed to hamper your enemy greatly or drastically increase your own stats, but at a cost. The reason it affects all participants in a given fight is the same reason they gave Insane Bolt a backfire chance: It would simply be too powerful. You can have a permanent Firetrap around the battlefield that Earthquake from an inexperienced teammate couldnt remove, but anyone else who is a Pyromancer would also have increased power. A Death can put up a Doom and Gloom, but they're own healing potential is sacrificed as well. So, when a Sorcerer needs Power Pips for a devastating Judgement (little strategy hint here) they will cast Powerplay. If it only affected the Caster or his allies, then it would become exceedingly powerful. The cost of Powerplay is that you will also be boosting your enemy's stats, as is the same with every other Global (aka Bubble) spell out there.

Cya in the Spiral,

Paul Stormglade, Transcended Diviner

Go Sparks!

Astrologist
Jun 04, 2010
bionaknight wrote:
Hi, this is my two cents. Global spells like Powerplay are designed to hamper your enemy greatly or drastically increase your own stats, but at a cost. The reason it affects all participants in a given fight is the same reason they gave Insane Bolt a backfire chance: It would simply be too powerful. You can have a permanent Firetrap around the battlefield that Earthquake from an inexperienced teammate couldnt remove, but anyone else who is a Pyromancer would also have increased power. A Death can put up a Doom and Gloom, but they're own healing potential is sacrificed as well. So, when a Sorcerer needs Power Pips for a devastating Judgement (little strategy hint here) they will cast Powerplay. If it only affected the Caster or his allies, then it would become exceedingly powerful. The cost of Powerplay is that you will also be boosting your enemy's stats, as is the same with every other Global (aka Bubble) spell out there.

Cya in the Spiral,

Go Sparks!

Powerplay costs 4 pips making it the most expensive global spell in the game. Let's analyze what you get for that. You cannot have greater than a 100% power pip chance so there is a diminishing return right there. You could try to use it knowing that your power pip chance is lower than average thereby benefiting you more than your enemies. Alas, your enemy's bubble (unless he is balance) costs less in pips than yours. While the other bubbles boost or reduce a specific category of spell, powerplay makes ALL your enemies spells more deadly by allowing their casting to proceed faster. Finally, while every other bubble can work in tandem with others (for instance, you can stack infection with doom and gloom or a fire trap/blade with wyldfire), powerplay sits alone costing more to cast and providing less tangible benefit. Bottom line here is... it is a terrible spell.

Hero
Jun 08, 2009
Ok, sorry, thought it was two pips. I wouldn't call it useless, though, just hard to use, maybe not favorable when fighting a fast attacking school. At the original poster, if you don't like it you don't have to use it.....

Cya in the Spiral,

Go Sparks!

Survivor
Jul 26, 2008
Same here, for life. I have to watch the bazaar to get a giant spider for a bubble for 30% damage. If i use the healing bubble, a match would basically never end

Geographer
Aug 28, 2010
bionaknight wrote:

Cya in the Spiral,

Go Sparks!

To add to what Gtarhannon has already stated, try thinking of it this way.
My Balance already has almost 100% Power Pips, therefore the spell is useless for me, to start with.
Second, I cannot live under a Aura of Fire, Storm or Myth, that is a Treasure card, at 45%. Think of it, besides life, which can outheal anyone in the game, Balance cannot last very long under that aura. If I cast Power Play, I give Myth, Storm or Fire a huge advantage, it's boost their Power Pips significantly. Ask me why, I would even try to use it, and even if I learned the Myth Aura, again it's useless against a Myth (one of the strongest 1v1 players in the game).
Even if I did use it, I would quickly lose the Pip war against anyone by Life, who doesn't need their aura.

Now, on the other points, I would like to counter,,,,,

The reason it affects all participants in a given fight is the same reason they gave Insane Bolt a backfire chance: It would simply be too powerful.

Reply: Too Powerfull for who? It doesn't help a Balance at all.

You can have a permanent Firetrap around the battlefield that Earthquake from an inexperienced teammate couldnt remove, but anyone else who is a Pyromancer would also have increased power.

Reply: So True, and that is my point, why would I give a Fire, Myth, or Storm a huge boost in Power Pips?

A Death can put up a Doom and Gloom, but they're own healing potential is sacrificed as well.

Reply: Not ture at all, a Death can heal perfectly fine under Doom and Gloom. Scarecrow, Wraith, and Stein Monster all heal them perfectly under Doom and Gloom. So while you are dying, they are attacking and healing at the same time, as if no bubble is up at all. I have a level 70 Death, and know how he plays under Doom and Gloom.

So, when a Sorcerer needs Power Pips for a devastating Judgement (little strategy hint here) they will cast Powerplay. If it only affected the Caster or his allies, then it would become exceedingly powerful. The cost of Powerplay is that you will also be boosting your enemy's stats, as is the same with every other Global (aka Bubble) spell out there.

Reply: Again, Balance has almost 100% Power Pips, why would they try to bring it up over 100%, they wouldn't. Using Power Play is a waste for a number of reasons, not to mentions it's cost in pips.
Anyone that uses Judgement knows that any tower shield can block it fast.
Not to mention there are only certain times when you can use it.
It's an X pip spell, costing you every pip you have, and therefore it is almost only used as a final kill spell. So people attempt to Spam Judge, but normally only go so far up the ladder and then stop quick.
Any good player will be ready for it, and use stun or prepare heals, shields, weakness, etc. You cannot rely on the Judge for a win, you need to play to get your opponent into the kill zone. This cannot be done with the Judge, because it leaves you open to being brought down quickly with no way to heal.
Point is, it's not like any other aura out there, as you state. A myth Aura only boost Myth, a Fire only Fire, but Balance boost everyone in the game circle.

So, just as was stated, this is just a Bad Spell.

Joe.

Explorer
Aug 14, 2011
Lion359 wrote:
Dear KI,

It is a spell that I never see used, I find it almost a spell designed to hurt Balance, in a number of ways.

Yes, I can see it helping Balance to some degree at times, but the downside is that in PvP or in Pve, it's useless.

Thanks,
Joe.

Well, that's Balance for ya...
P.S- Shatter gets rid of all traps, just saying.

Adherent
Mar 18, 2009
Geographer
Aug 28, 2010
Lucara stated:

Just saying, you are wrong, that was long ago, KI changed that.
Now when Shatter is used, all Traps stay in place, and I just gave it a test to prove it.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Back to Power Play, I expect that KI will not changed it, but I have a second idea that is even better.

A 2 pip "Aura Removal" for a Balance, and it could also be a treasure card that Death and Life could use also. It would simply remove the exsisting aura, and make Myth, Storm, Fire, etc put up a new one.
This way Balance would not get any enhancement to boost their spells, as I expect that KI already feels that the Judge can generate enough damage. That seems evident but the weak Chimera spells, they gave Balance.

So, what do you say KI, it would make the Balance Players a great Christmas present. As Balance not being able to remove a +40 or +45 aura is a doomsday sentence for them.

Thanks,
Joe,

A+ Student
Mar 02, 2010
Lion359 wrote:
Dear KI,

Thanks,
Joe.

I agree with power play, but it has helped me when I only went for health stats. I actually use strategy other then just a lame Judgement after a couple of blades. If you find Balance lacking of ways of strategy, you're totally wrong. With Balance, you can shield and weaken your opponent a whole lot and then attack. Also, you can be a judge spammer. You can be a person that spams a certain low rank spell such as Spectral Blast or Locust Swarm. I never ever use Judgement anymore as it is really a waste of all your pips for a low amount of damage and then you can't double attack with it. Balance is the most advanced school, it's not only about Judgement. I see many Balance wizards today only using Judgement as a finisher when their opponent has low health, and that's sometimes what I'd do, but I'd rather go with the Spectral Blast or Sandstorm. I'm level 64, and I compete very well in pvp, trust me.

Geographer
Aug 28, 2010
joujou11cool ,

It's not that I don't think that Balance is not competitive below level 68, they can be, if the right statergy is used. The point is, they can't use their aura in PvP, it's four pips. You can't win the Pip war, and you can't win under a +45 hit Treasure Aura of someone else, like Storm, Myth or fire.

I have the Myth aura, but I can't use it against Myth, which means that any Myth can put up a Treasure Aura and pound me into the ground, and I can't do a thing about it.
With the Level 68 spells, damage is much higher, and you have less time to survive in battle. Fire and Myth now can take you out fast if they have a aura up, much faster than when it was Level 67 or below.
You will see this when you hit a high Powered level 68 Myth, Storm or Fire.

A Balance can use spectral blast, but you don't know if it's gonna hit for the low level or high, you can't know. Chimera is the lowest hitting 68 spell in the game, and tell me how many people don't throw up a myth/death shield early in the game? Very few, I can tell you that, and it kills chimera solid.

All I'm asking is that if Balance is to complete in the new level, that it has a way to get rid of the other players aura.

Let me state this very clearly, under a aura of +45 on the other pvp players spells, the odds of a Balance player winning is zero or darn close to it.
Add this with a Blade and a level 68 spell, and Balance is in trouble quickly.

Why they made the Level 68 Balance the weakest player, I have no idea.
But they clearly are at a huge disadvantages, unless they can remove the aura of the other player. Then they are only at a disadvantage, not a huge disadvantage.

Please get to the next level, get your spells, and head to the battlefield. You will soon see what I am talking about, when that +45 goes up.

Joe.

Explorer
Mar 15, 2011

Joe,

You're absolutely right about Power Play. A while ago, Solstice64 I believe put up a post for balancing PvP, quoting (I think) Onion Knight over on Central, and suggested Power Play be changed to 15%+/15%- friends/enemies. I think that is a wonderful idea and something I'd actually be able to use in PvP.

Lion359 wrote:

Thanks,
Joe.

I know what you're saying, man, I really do. There are times when Balance feels seriously outmatched.

However, I have never worn a mastery amulet in the arena and my Transcended Sorcerer just achieved Warlord. Chimera isn't weak by the way, in my opinion. With proper blading and perhaps some Infallible, I can get mine up to 1000 per head against high resist opponents. The problem with Chimera is getting the chance to cast as 9 pips is a heck of a lot to spend. So you're right about it in that capacity.

In my opinion, Judgement is still a competitive spell in the arena. Fairly impressive for forty two levels later! Sometimes I'll Feint, usually only if they don't have a tower shield up and they have used a lot of tower shields already and I am in the new infallible . I don't need Shatter or double--quadruple Feints to compete either. Sometimes at most just a feint a blade and hex or Feint and blade. Sometimes only a blade is necessary! Like you said, I always try to work them into the Kill Zone with Scorpions, SB, Hydra, Nova, Sandstorm, and perhaps Chimera. By the way, to all the people who I've seen in these posts who claim how easy it is to stop Judgement with tower shields and so forth: You're not doing such a hot job, in my experience. Not, surely, backing up your talk with your walk.

Ice, in my opinion, is the problem school for Balance. And Mammoth, I think, is maybe the best new spell.

But as for the new 68 spells, just a word of encouragement for ya Joe: I have yet to be beaten by the new Basilisk spell and since the update have a perfect 7-0 record against Myth wizards, many times with me going second. I only mention this to prove that Balance can compete against what many believe to be the top 1v1 pvp school and against perhaps the "biggest" new 68 spell.

Explorer
Aug 14, 2011
Lion359 wrote:
Lucara stated:

Now when Shatter is used, all Traps stay in place, and I just gave it a test to prove it.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Back to Power Play, I expect that KI will not changed it, but I have a second idea that is even better.

A 2 pip "Aura Removal" for a Balance, and it could also be a treasure card that Death and Life could use also. It would simply remove the exsisting aura, and make Myth, Storm, Fire, etc put up a new one.
This way Balance would not get any enhancement to boost their spells, as I expect that KI already feels that the Judge can generate enough damage. That seems evident but the weak Chimera spells, they gave Balance.

So, what do you say KI, it would make the Balance Players a great Christmas present. As Balance not being able to remove a +40 or +45 aura is a doomsday sentence for them.

Thanks,
Joe,

Sry haven't been on my myth in A while o:

Explorer
Aug 14, 2011
Lion359 wrote:
Lucara stated:

Thanks,
Joe,

On the topic, that would actually be pretty cool, great idea.

Survivor
Mar 14, 2010
Lion359 wrote:
Dear KI,

Thanks,
Joe.

I agree. maybe KI could put a -35% field for power play instead.

Geographer
Aug 28, 2010
Cheese,

I would be happy with a minus 10 percent, but I'm sure that KI will not change it.
I would be just as happy if they made a new utility spell, that allowed us to just dispell auras, as these treasure aura at +45 percent are just too much with the new hitting power of the level 68 spells.
Just one blade on the volcano or the new Myth spell, with a +45 aura, and then a few traps or feints tossed in, and you are in trouble.

Life wizards have no issue with this, as they have Triage to kill them both.
I have been trying to find Triage in the store, but they are almost impossible to find.

So, bottom line, I would really like to see a one or two pip utility disspell, for the aura's. Maybe everyone could get it, not just balance.

Joe.

Armiger
May 10, 2010
Sorry Joe, but I don't quite see your point on this issue.

Power Play is a great spell from the level it is learned, until around level 55. After that, like most lower level spells, it is put out to pasture.

Is it fair?

Well, Ice gets Ice and Frozen Armor spells, and taunts!

Life gets an aura that costs 3 pips and allows everyone to heal.

Death gets a minion that is x-pips and now loses healing ability on sacrifice with doom and gloom. (horrible change on that)

Storm has the worst minion in the game, not that many use minions after level 55.

Fire has not lost anything, but then again, they are fire.

Myth has a minion that is x-pip and that is nowhere near as good as talos!
Also, myth has not gotten any really good and powerful AOE spells!

Pretty much all schools get spells that become useless after a certain level, it is part of the game.

Defender
Feb 06, 2010
Lion359 wrote:
Lucara stated:

Thanks,
Joe,

Ahhhh, I just posted a new thread about this "Aura Removal". Guess I should've read your post first, wasn't trying to "steal" your idea. Head over to The Dorms to see it, if you'd like.

Also, I've never felt "doomed" to face any Global Spells, but maybe that's just me.....

Astrologist
Jun 04, 2010
darthjt wrote:
Power Play is a great spell from the level it is learned, until around level 55. After that, like most lower level spells, it is put out to pasture.

I'm sorry man, I think we'll have to agree to disagree on that point. I think its fair, after all I've mentioned on many occasions how every school has spells that become useless, but I have had exactly one situation where that spell has been useful (a large group situation) and for the pips, I probably would have been better letting someone cast an elemental global and then used hydra or spectral blast. In a solo situation (the majority of my play), this spell has almost always turned against me and at best has been a wash.

Geographer
Aug 28, 2010
darthjt wrote:

Is it fair?

Death gets a minion that is x-pips and now loses healing ability on sacrifice with doom and gloom. (horrible change on that)

Storm has the worst minion in the game, not that many use minions after level 55.

Pretty much all schools get spells that become useless after a certain level, it is part of the game.

Darthjt,

I have no problem with them no changing Power Play, I agree it's useless at level 55 or so.

I'm not sure I agree with your Myth listing, as Myth has more than one Mionion, and has Frog. Frog can do some real damage when added with the new Collosal +275 spell.

So Fire and Myth got some great new spells. Both are hard hitting, both are DOT, and can be game ending, real quick.

Life got a killer, in that it adds two Life Dispells, perfect.
Ice finally got a Powerful spell in it's new 68 spell, with a stun.
Storm's new spell is real damage, and to AOE.
I don't see anyone complaining on the above five spells.

Death got a better waith spell, in the Krackinstein (sp?) Monster.
It's side effect is -25 to a heal and it's great heal that it gives the Death Wiz. Not too bad, but no where at good as the above five.

Now we get to the Balance Wiz, a weak spell with no side effect.
I really see Balance as getting the real short stick this time.

My point is, Balance has been and is dropping to the bottom of the PvP listings. Just to be able to compete, it needs this spell.

Now I know that people will start whining and say, oh my they got Judge and Feint. Yeah, but you can't use this setup with shatter in Tourneys.
I have had this used on me in matches, and it works great, but I see this just as cheap as spamming Insane bolt or wild bolt.

My point is, Power Play is 4 pips, and helps evryone in the game, including the enemy's Minion. So for Balance in PVP, they have no way to counter an Aura, and they need to be able to counter it to win.
That's why I really think they need a utility spell to dispell auras.

Joe,

Armiger
May 10, 2010
gtarhannon wrote:
darthjt wrote:

I'm sorry man, I think we'll have to agree to disagree on that point. I think its fair, after all I've mentioned on many occasions how every school has spells that become useless, but I have had exactly one situation where that spell has been useful (a large group situation) and for the pips, I probably would have been better letting someone cast an elemental global and then used hydra or spectral blast. In a solo situation (the majority of my play), this spell has almost always turned against me and at best has been a wash.

Oh, I quite agree that in a solo situation, that spell it totally useless. I find a lot of spells totally useless! I just can't see a justified change for 1 school when almost all schools are given spells that are "useless".

Armiger
May 10, 2010
Lion359 wrote:
darthjt wrote:

Is it fair?

Darthjt,

I have no problem with them no changing Power Play, I agree it's useless at level 55 or so.

I'm not sure I agree with your Myth listing, as Myth has more than one Mionion, and has Frog. Frog can do some real damage when added with the new Collosal +275 spell.

So Fire and Myth got some great new spells. Both are hard hitting, both are DOT, and can be game ending, real quick.

Life got a killer, in that it adds two Life Dispells, perfect.
Ice finally got a Powerful spell in it's new 68 spell, with a stun.
Storm's new spell is real damage, and to AOE.
I don't see anyone complaining on the above five spells.

Death got a better waith spell, in the Krackinstein (sp?) Monster.
It's side effect is -25 to a heal and it's great heal that it gives the Death Wiz. Not too bad, but no where at good as the above five.

Now we get to the Balance Wiz, a weak spell with no side effect.
I really see Balance as getting the real short stick this time.

My point is, Balance has been and is dropping to the bottom of the PvP listings. Just to be able to compete, it needs this spell.

Now I know that people will start whining and say, oh my they got Judge and Feint. Yeah, but you can't use this setup with shatter in Tourneys.
I have had this used on me in matches, and it works great, but I see this just as cheap as spamming Insane bolt or wild bolt.

My point is, Power Play is 4 pips, and helps evryone in the game, including the enemy's Minion. So for Balance in PVP, they have no way to counter an Aura, and they need to be able to counter it to win.
That's why I really think they need a utility spell to dispell auras.

Joe,

You might have misread me a little bit there Joe.

Myth has an x-minion, that is nowhere near as good as a 5 pip Talos minion. Once you learn Talos, all the other minions are not quite worth the time.
As for Froggy, trust me, I love my frog and know the damage it can do, my point was, that 4 pip spell is the last best AoE attack myth has. Yes, it got earthquake, which at times can be useful, at times, but does the same damage for 2 more pips. It also gets the pet spell, but that is only 1 card and only enchanted with giant or something close.

My point was, is that all schools get spells that are useless of the get go, or useless after a certain point.

As far the level 68 spells, I like chimera, I think it is a great spell. Unfortunately, it does take a while to blade up properly for it, since spiritual blades each cost 1 pip to cast. Which is why, this would be a good time to bring in simplify and make those 1 pips spells cost 0 pips... Oh how nice would that be?

Anyway, on to your further troubles. PvP tournaments! Not exactly sure who's bright idea it was on the rules of the tournaments, but so be it.

Let me ask you this, can balance last long enough to get 14 pips or 7 power pips? Does Balance have high attack boosts? Does Balance have a high critical chance? What Kind of damage would Judgment do to a player without shields? After all, the only shield that protects your opponent is a tower shield. A simple fire elf would tear through those shields. Then cast a treasure Vengeance card, and you are ready for your best effort at winning, a powerful Judgment. If necessary, you can use a scorpion with colossus after, if they possibly live!

I know these tournaments really stack the deck for some schools, which is why you will find more of those schools in the top rankings, but sometimes, you have to think of your schools strengths and use them to your advantage.

Now, you have to keep in mind, if your opponent uses an aura, yes, you will have to change it, and no you are proably correct in not wanting to use powerplay, but in tournaments, you get to see what school you are facing and know to get a different aura.

Geographer
Aug 28, 2010
Hi Darthjt,

Golem is 0, don't forget my main buddy.
Troll is 1-3.
Cyclops is 1-4,
Minotaur is 3 pips, gets rid of whites and shields itself, not a bad minion.
(I have even used this /tc Minion for my Balance, it's not a bad minion)
Talos is 5, and I agree, is a bear of a minion.

I agree, many spells become useless, and Power Play is certainly one of Balances. As as many of the lower ignored useless spells, KI will not change them, and just ignores them. This makes sense, since the lower level Wizards need them, so I completey agree.
That's why I suggested that Balance have a utility spell, as it has to have a way to kill the +45 aura's.
Even Death got a change to it's four pip aura, if I remember correctly it was increased in it's power and decreased in it's pips.
I can understand why Life doesn't need an aura, it can outheal anyone in the game. It's got all the tools to removed Infection. Plus when added to the Myth amulet, it's got it shield remover. Add in it's new spell and feint, and you got a Warlord (on the rise).

Unlike other spells, chimera takes time to Blade and Trap to generate any real power. Plus it has no side effect, but a +20 Hit aura would have been a great addition to this spell.
I don't think that I have been in one battle over the past month where someone didn't drop down a Ethershield early in the match. Then right after that a Volcanic shields, it 's standard until you find out who you are facing. This kills Chimera dead in it's tracks.

On the idea of hitting with Judge, it leave you defenseless, no way to heal, or even change an aura. The only time you can really Judge is to to a OHKO if you are sure, or if the other guy has just used all of their pips (a rare instance).
If Balance had a middle the road Balance spell, lets say a 6 pip 600 balance hit, it would be great. But that's not going to happen, I'm sure of that.

Bottom line, Balance really needs a way to stop the aura, as most of Balance's hits are all middle of the road in the power area.
I have seen lots of battels where a Balance will shatter, then Hydra, and then Chimera. With the correct setup, that seems to work fine, but take out Shatter, and it falls apart fast.
So Balance needs to wear down the other side, and stay alive, until it gets that opening.
The only way to stay alive is to be able to kill that Fire, Storm, Myth, Ice, etc +45 aura.

That's my take on it....
Joe.

Armiger
May 10, 2010
Joe,

Well, the whole idea of Outlawing Shatter in Tournaments sounds pretty bias to me.

Do they outlaw a spell in every school? Are there limits to shields? Limits to spells? limits to heals? How can you limit or outlaw one thing and not another? Are all dispels outlawed? or just limited?

Now, as far as an aura goes, Life is in the same boat as Balance, both have an aura that costs a lot of pips and both can help the enemy.

The problem with Balance is, the fact that Hydra and Chimera are both Balance spells, however, Balance boosts do not work. This is an error in my eyes. Yes, they might do Elemental Damage or Spiritual Damage, but they are Balance spells and should be boosted according to Balances Boost!

This I believe, would solve most of the problems you are facing.