Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

what happened to dot being fires special?

AuthorMessage
Defender
Nov 19, 2008
isnt dot suppost to be fires special thing? then why now do every school have at least 1 dot spell?

Explorer
Mar 18, 2009
KennethB wrote:
isnt dot suppost to be fires special thing? then why now do every school have at least 1 dot spell?

There are Stealing spells that are not Death (There are Steal Charm and Steal Ward spells.. Key Word STEAL). Healing spells that are not Life (Anyone need a HAND?). Minions that aren't Myth. Why should one school have exclusive rights to a certain type of spell???

Armiger
May 10, 2010
KennethB wrote:

Really? Well, I thought weakness was Balances specialty, how about we take weakness from efreet then, since it was stolen from balance? Oh, also, fire is not supposed to have stuns either, so we will take those away from fire too! One last thing, Fire is not supposed to be able to heal, so link and powerlink must go also, since they are not in the Life Class...

You need to give back pixie to, while you are at it, unless you want to stop the complaint now and keep what you are given and allow other schools a bit of knowledge...

Hero
Jul 27, 2009
as you begin to notice once you pass level 58 the spells begin to show a convergence. as your wizard matures in the game the higher level the spell the more the abilities of the spells begin to intermix giving the wizards new abilities in fighting the darkness that is trying to undo the spiral.

Defender
Feb 06, 2010
KennethB wrote:
There are Stealing spells that are not Death (There are Steal Charm and Steal Ward spells.. Key Word STEAL). Healing spells that are not Life (Anyone need a HAND?). Minions that aren't Myth. Why should one school have exclusive rights to a certain type of spell???

Key word, death STEALS health, not blades/wards. HEALTH.

Illuminator
Feb 09, 2009
dragonpfyre219 wrote:

Actually, Death's medium is sapping health from its enemies, Life's medium is spells that only heal and aid the target(s), and Myth's medium is getting around shields and debuffs as well as dominion over minions and minion aid spells.

Hero
Jun 08, 2009
darthjt wrote:
KennethB wrote:

Really? Well, I thought weakness was Balances specialty, how about we take weakness from efreet then, since it was stolen from balance? Oh, also, fire is not supposed to have stuns either, so we will take those away from fire too! One last thing, Fire is not supposed to be able to heal, so link and powerlink must go also, since they are not in the Life Class...

You need to give back pixie to, while you are at it, unless you want to stop the complaint now and keep what you are given and allow other schools a bit of knowledge...
Yea, he might also want to hand over all his damage dealing spells too, they belong to Storm, lol. About the all schools getting dots: 1. this isn't really true, Storm, Balance, and Life don't get dots. 2. Schools dont really have "special things", we simply have exclusive spells. For example: Other schools can train fire elf, get Basilisk or Poison, But you, as Pyromancer, get a compelete arsenal of dots. The Links, Dragon, Rain of Fire, Fire Elf, Scald, etc (if I left any out). This is true with Life's healing spells, Myth's henchman, etc.

Cya in the Spiral,

Paul Stormglade, Transcended Diviner

Go Sparks!

Squire
Dec 21, 2008
DOTs aren't just for fire, but it's what fire is most well-known for.

Illuminator
Feb 09, 2009
darthjt wrote:

Technically, the effect that Efreet deals is different (not by a whole lot, but still) from Weakness. Last time I checked, Fire didn't have Stun. Even if it does, stunning hasn't been established as a school-specific ability. As for healing, Life's medium is healing. Not sapping health, not healing and attacking at the same time, just healing. In my opinion, Link is just a loophole taken advantage of. Pixie is an exception because without a cheap, basic healing spell no one would be able to survive combat.

Armiger
May 10, 2010
AkihiroHattori5 wrote:
darthjt wrote:

Technically, the effect that Efreet deals is different (not by a whole lot, but still) from Weakness. Last time I checked, Fire didn't have Stun. Even if it does, stunning hasn't been established as a school-specific ability. As for healing, Life's medium is healing. Not sapping health, not healing and attacking at the same time, just healing. In my opinion, Link is just a loophole taken advantage of. Pixie is an exception because without a cheap, basic healing spell no one would be able to survive combat.

Technically, fire is not balance, nor death, so should not get a weakness of any kind.

Technically, life is the only school that should get any type of healing spells at all, even pixie, so every spell that heals, besides death's drain spells should be taken away.

Stuns are actually for myth and ice. Stun block is from ice. So any school other than those should have them taken away.

I mean, if Fire is the only school that should technically be allowed DoT spells, then Technically, every school should be stripped of spells and effects that do not belong to their school.

What is good for the goose is good for the gander, is that not correct?

Either that, or these people need to quit complaining!

Astrologist
Jun 04, 2010
AkihiroHattori5 wrote:
Last time I checked, Fire didn't have Stun.

Choke is a stun all spell. They get it at the end of Krokotopia.

Explorer
Mar 18, 2009
AkihiroHattori5 wrote:
dragonpfyre219 wrote:

Actually, Death's medium is sapping health from its enemies, Life's medium is spells that only heal and aid the target(s), and Myth's medium is getting around shields and debuffs as well as dominion over minions and minion aid spells.

I was making a point. That no school has exclusive rights to a certain type of spell. I have a Transcended Necromancer and Legendary Fire, Storm and Life.

Sapping and stealing (as far as the attacks) are the same term. Read the ghoul, vamp, wraith.. etc.. "xxx *steal icon*, swap half to *heal*"

Life is not the only healing school. Balance has Helping hands and Availing hands. My husband ( 2 Balance Legends) can heal just as well as a Life Legend (he kinda cheated though, Life second)...

Myth is not only known for getting around shields, but for the Minions, and there are Minions that are not Myth.

Again. Making a point. Akihiro, thank you. But you keyed in on the wrong parts.

Explorer
Mar 18, 2009
kamarynjelise wrote:
KennethB wrote:

ANother that missed the point.

Historian
May 01, 2010
Lets just put it as this, DoT will cease to become fires specialty when at least one school has MORE DoTs than fire has. Myth seems to be about stunning and minions, correct? They have 4 stuns, and 5 minions, does this mean that myth is the ONLY school that can take advantage of stuns and/or minions? I dont think so, saying ever school has one minion (balance has 2, but not the point), and only 3 other schools actually have stuns (fire ice storm).

Illuminator
Feb 09, 2009
dragonpfyre219 wrote:
I was making a point. That no school has exclusive rights to a certain type of spell. I have a Transcended Necromancer and Legendary Fire, Storm and Life.

What about double attack spells (Myth ability)? Sapping/stealing health spells (Death ability)? Attacking outside one's school (Balance ability)? Technically they are exclusive to their school.

Life is not the only healing school. Balance has Helping hands and Availing hands. My husband ( 2 Balance Legends) can heal just as well as a Life Legend (he kinda cheated though, Life second)...

Balance is an amalgamation of all the other schools, so technically it doesn't count. Your husband's doubly disqualified since his secondary is Life.

Myth is not only known for getting around shields, but for the Minions, and there are Minions that are not Myth.

That is true, but the other schools only have access to one minion. Also, Myth's ability of minions isn't really highlighted; its ability to bypass shields is. Fire is known for DoTs, which is its only medium.

Again. Making a point. Akihiro, thank you. But you keyed in on the wrong parts.

Sorry, but I'm still not seeing your point.

Delver
Jul 09, 2009
darthjt wrote:
KennethB wrote:

When did it ever say weakness was Balance's thing? Balance takes from all the schools so doesn't have much say in this.

Aaron Drakewalker Transcended Pyromancer

Explorer
Mar 18, 2009
Pulling my nose out before I say something that will really offend anyone...

Champion
Apr 18, 2010
AkihiroHattori5 wrote:
Pixie is an exception because without a cheap, basic healing spell no one would be able to survive combat.

That's exactly why schools outside of fire have a small amount of DoTs. How could any school survive combat without a way to navigate around shields? I feel the problem is some schools are left out on these very useful spells (life, death, and balance.)

As said before, DoTs will remain fire's specialty as long as no other school gets more of them. Plus fire has the only DoT utility spell (fuel) and the only X pip DoT (heckhound.)

-Solstice64

Illuminator
Feb 09, 2009
Solstice64 wrote:
That's exactly why schools outside of fire have a small amount of DoTs. How could any school survive combat without a way to navigate around shields? I feel the problem is some schools are left out on these very useful spells (life, death, and balance.)

As said before, DoTs will remain fire's specialty as long as no other school gets more of them. Plus fire has the only DoT utility spell (fuel) and the only X pip DoT (heckhound.)

-Solstice64

If it's true that no school could survive without a DoT, then why do only Ice, Death, and Myth have DoTs? The other schools get along just fine without them, so I don't get why they're necessary. Navigating around shields isn't even necessary to begin with. Shields only decrease effectiveness; they don't completely render the spell useless. Plus, using that as a justification to adding a DoT after Rank 9 or modifying a Rank 9 spell to be a DoT spell doesn't make sense because of the armor piercing ability recently added to the game. As I've said before, all the other schools have at least one exclusive ability. Fire has none. How is it fair that people are asking for even more than was originally planned? Lastly, I'll give you Heckhound, but not Fuel. It's not directly available since you have to complete Grizzleheim and parts of Wintertusk to gain access to the spells.

Defender
Feb 06, 2010
dragonpfyre219 wrote:
kamarynjelise wrote:
KennethB wrote:

ANother that missed the point.

No, I didnt "miss" any point. That's like saying attacks (all schools) and double-attacks (myth) are the same, ONLY because they both have "attack" in them.

Death's medium IS NOT stealing, it's STEALING HEALTH. Complete difference. Therefore, that statement isn't even valid.

Astrologist
Jun 04, 2010
slammer111 wrote:
Lets just put it as this, DoT will cease to become fires specialty when at least one school has MORE DoTs than fire has. Myth seems to be about stunning and minions, correct? They have 4 stuns, and 5 minions, does this mean that myth is the ONLY school that can take advantage of stuns and/or minions? I dont think so, saying ever school has one minion (balance has 2, but not the point), and only 3 other schools actually have stuns (fire ice storm).

I agree with your general point that Fire continues to be the DoT master. However, I just have to point out (because this assertion that myth is about stunning has always bugged me a bit) that Ice has 3 stun spells and stun block thereby giving it the same amount of stun related spells as myth. The fact that ice gets freeze at the level 2 enrollment quest (the reward for which is extremely school focus related) and the fact only ice gets a stun block spell (and for free) has always seemed to indicate to me that ice is the origin of stun. In fact, ice stun spells outnumbered myth until the introduction of medusa and remain tied with the release of the new rank 9 spells.

Its silly I know... I just had to point it out.

Astrologist
Jun 04, 2010
AkihiroHattori5 wrote:
That is true, but the other schools only have access to one minion. Also, Myth's ability of minions isn't really highlighted; its ability to bypass shields is. Fire is known for DoTs, which is its only medium.

Fire is also know for heavy versatility and for being the only elemental school that can heal. The reason it is so deadly is because it has a vast array of dots, many AoEs, deals the second strongest damage per pip, and has some of these strategic spells:

Link
Steal Charm
Immolate
Choke
Smoke Screen
Power Link

In my opinion the thing that is most highlighted about fire is its strategic versatility, not simply its DoTs.

Astrologist
Jun 04, 2010
Solstice64 wrote:

I think you meant life, storm, and balance.

Solstice64 wrote:

-Solstice64

Agreed. I do think its worth pointing out that there are several DoT options available to a storm (which would involve either pets or treasure cards) and balance has both chimera and hydra which are the only triple hit spells in the game. Finally, both balance and life have heal over time spells (and quite powerful ones as that) so I don't think we'll be seeing any real DoT options for them in the near future.

Delver
Aug 30, 2011
flarzedrago9 wrote:
darthjt wrote:
KennethB wrote:

When did it ever say weakness was Balance's thing? Balance takes from all the schools so doesn't have much say in this.

Aaron Drakewalker Transcended Pyromancer

you forgot about link and power link. they do heal over time, which is not fire's speciality, so it sapped from balance, life, and myth & ice for weakness, heal, and stun. when do you ever see life steal anything from schools outside its own? its few dots only heal, they don't steal life, and you fire wizards and all others have taken the healing power of link, power link, and pixie from life.

Explorer
Apr 10, 2010
A better question is what happened to stun being ice's special (i.e. basalisk, medusa, that fire stun thingie, storm lord). at some point or another each school intertwines like how balance can heal (availing hands or helping hands)

Luke Lifesword lv. 70 (I hate the title)