Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

To People Complaining About Henchmen Prices

AuthorMessage
Defender
Feb 22, 2009
The Henchmen are expensive, because they're something to help you in a pinch, not to use every battle. Another example of this is the mounts. They're expensive because they're nice to have, but you don't need them. I barely use Henchmen, myself. I used them once, when I faced the Level 58 spell quest boss on my storm. Other than that, I haven't used them at all. You really don't need them that much. Come to think of it, I barely use crowns at all. I sometimes have them, if I get a gift card for my birthday/Christmas. If I don't, oh, well, I just keep going. My advice is, if you're in a situation where you rely on Henchmen EVERY SINGLE BATTLE then you should probably either (a) go back and do some side quests, or (b) reorganize your deck. The only time I can think of a real excuse to use Henchman is in a battle with a boss for a school quest. Other than that, they don't really have much point.

Alex Dragonbreaker Level 61 Storm
Jacob Stormhunter Level 57 Balance
Cameron Lifespear Level 29 Life
Luke Skywalker Level 19 Myth
Aaron Skullspear Level 19 Death
Cameron Icepyre Level 9 Ice

Survivor
Jul 06, 2011
milo10000 wrote:
The Henchmen are expensive, because they're something to help you in a pinch, not to use every battle. Another example of this is the mounts. They're expensive because they're nice to have, but you don't need them. I barely use Henchmen, myself. I used them once, when I faced the Level 58 spell quest boss on my storm. Other than that, I haven't used them at all. You really don't need them that much. Come to think of it, I barely use crowns at all. I sometimes have them, if I get a gift card for my birthday/Christmas. If I don't, oh, well, I just keep going. My advice is, if you're in a situation where you rely on Henchmen EVERY SINGLE BATTLE then you should probably either (a) go back and do some side quests, or (b) reorganize your deck. The only time I can think of a real excuse to use Henchman is in a battle with a boss for a school quest. Other than that, they don't really have much point.

Worst. Logic. Ever. I suppose once gas prices get too high, you just don't buy it? The price difference is clearly skewed, and needs to adjusted. Mind you, KI has addressed people's concerns over this issue in many recent threads, and for that, I applaud them once again.

It's not about whether you need something or not, it's about make things fair and accessible. Game companies have had a trend of gouging their customers over time, seeming to get greedier as time goes on.

While I have no doubt that MMOs require revenue to provide support and further content, they also have an obligation to meet the player's expectations. Well, at least if they want to stay in business.

Defender
May 31, 2011
I am one of the people who have bitterly complained about the new henchmen. Like most who have been complaining, I do use them in a “pinch” and I believe they are way over priced for even for that.

The way they are functioning now they are not even worth ANY increase in price. The older ones functioned MUCH better.

As to going back to doing side quests and arranging cards, I have been doing that all along. And I still have times I hire henchmen.

I am afraid you are making way too many assumptions about those of us who are voicing our disappointment in the new henchmen.

There is a current thread about the new henchmen under KI’s announcement of them. I am wondering why you didn’t contribute your thoughts on this topic there?

Defender
May 31, 2011
UncleGlenny wrote:
milo10000 wrote:

Worst. Logic. Ever. I suppose once gas prices get too high, you just don't buy it? The price difference is clearly skewed, and needs to adjusted. Mind you, KI has addressed people's concerns over this issue in many recent threads, and for that, I applaud them once again.

It's not about whether you need something or not, it's about make things fair and accessible. Game companies have had a trend of gouging their customers over time, seeming to get greedier as time goes on.

While I have no doubt that MMOs require revenue to provide support and further content, they also have an obligation to meet the player's expectations. Well, at least if they want to stay in business.

Very well said! I have written a response as well, but it has yet to be posted. Still, I have to say I agree with you.

Survivor
Mar 23, 2011
UncleGlenny wrote:
milo10000 wrote:

LOL. Well said UncleGlenny.

Survivor
Mar 23, 2011
Most of us don't hire henchmen for every battle and in fact very rare. Usually the only time we hire them is to help us with the spell quests when you can't have your friends help you. But even then, the current price is unacceptable.

For those that do use them every battle, go back and calculate how much you have spent on crowns just for hiring henchmen. Helping you through normal mobs and bosses is what friends are for. Hiring henchmen every battle does not allow you to raise your wizard to their full potential because you rely too much on the henchmen. You want to know what your wizard can do on their own and build their skills. You will die a few times but that is part of raising your wizard.

Adherent
Mar 18, 2009
Like I've said in other posts, it's not about the price, but rather what we are getting in return for that price.

Before we got a semi-decent henchmen for 60 crowns. All of sudden, the price bumps up to 400 crowns, for what I can tell, a simple cosmetic change to animals versus wizards. I can't see the "new" power in the henchmen for 400 crowns. (other than new spells for the level 70 henchmen, that would have logically been purchased for 70 crowns under the old system)

However, Prof Greyrose has already indicated in many other posts that KI is readdressing either the price itself or what the henchmen will do for that 400 crown price.

Geographer
Nov 22, 2010
fallon181 wrote:
Helping you through normal mobs and bosses is what friends are for.

There ARE people who play this game and never add anyone to their friends list, and don't talk to other players either. They have their reasons for doing so and aren't likely to change. They are likely to need henchmen for "normal mobs and bosses". Are they to be penalized because they choose to solo the game?

And what about everyone else who choose not to call on friends, or who want to fight something "normal" when their friends aren't online? Shouldn't they be able to buy decently priced, well designed, working henchmen (since henchmen are offered for sale) whether they are fighting something that isn't "normal"?

Unfortunately, the only things you can buy henchmen for are the "normal" mobs and bosses. You don't dare buy them for use with cheating bosses because they trigger the cheats. So if you can't buy them for "normal bosses" because you're supposed to use friends, and you can't buy them for cheating bosses because they cause problems, exactly when would you suggest buying them for?

Explorer
Feb 18, 2011
UncleGlenny wrote:
milo10000 wrote:

I agree with both of you. The prices are high but if henchmen are the thing that holds your hand through the spiral thats wroung too. But really the prices should be cut in half. Good Luck in spiral! :D

Survivor
May 06, 2010
Prices aside, i usually only buy a life henchman to help in battles that i solo, but now the life henchmen don't even heal their master just themselves leaving me dead

Explorer
Jun 04, 2009
400 crowns for a level 70 henchman. I think they should do 1 crown per level. I do only use them sometimes when i need them and they do come in handy a little overprised but they will probally lower it when new level henchmen arrive it has happened before.

Delver
Sep 22, 2010
milo10000 wrote:

Ok what .... Really What? this post makes no sense .... first off the main complaint is they don't help you they help them selves people are abit (to say the least) upset because to spend 400 crowns or even 200 crowns or even 100 crowns on Henchmen you exspect to get help .... when you dump any amount of crowns on anything in the game you exspect it to help you.... and for you to say "They're expensive because they're nice to have." is out of line concidering that they jumped form 60 crowns for level 60 to 200 crowns and then double to 400 crowns for a level 70 .... you Play your game Your way And the rest of us will play it our way .... Happy Gaming....

Survivor
Dec 09, 2008
crystalwizard12345... wrote:
fallon181 wrote:
Helping you through normal mobs and bosses is what friends are for.

There ARE people who play this game and never add anyone to their friends list, and don't talk to other players either. They have their reasons for doing so and aren't likely to change. They are likely to need henchmen for "normal mobs and bosses". Are they to be penalized because they choose to solo the game?

And what about everyone else who choose not to call on friends, or who want to fight something "normal" when their friends aren't online? Shouldn't they be able to buy decently priced, well designed, working henchmen (since henchmen are offered for sale) whether they are fighting something that isn't "normal"?

Unfortunately, the only things you can buy henchmen for are the "normal" mobs and bosses. You don't dare buy them for use with cheating bosses because they trigger the cheats. So if you can't buy them for "normal bosses" because you're supposed to use friends, and you can't buy them for cheating bosses because they cause problems, exactly when would you suggest buying them for?
Well, i have used them for cheat bosses and they worked PERFERCTLY! When i was doing the final dungeon in Wintertusk, i used henchmen for every battle in it sense none of my friends were on. In the last battle, they only triggered the cheat stuff twice. I just used the menu chat an told them who to hit. It pretty much worked! :D But i do have a tendency to talk to my henchmen....

Explorer
Dec 25, 2010
Nick16567 wrote:
UncleGlenny wrote:
milo10000 wrote:

I agree with both of you. The prices are high but if henchmen are the thing that holds your hand through the spiral thats wroung too. But really the prices should be cut in half. Good Luck in spiral! :D

If you choose to use henchmen to get yourself threw every battle. Who cares? It's your money. It's not like the gold can be farmed and traded on ebay- heck you can't even trade gold player to player. The only thing that can be traded is cards and honestly that's not going to make you any amount of profit trading player to player.

So why can't a player user henchmen every battle? I mean it really is THEIR personal enjoyment to how they play. I don't support the jack in price. It's stupid. I used to freely pay the old price. Drop a few henchmen here and there. Now I have absolutely zero urge to even buy one. I don't even care if they get a species change. What I do care about is KI bleeding out it's players like cash cows. (Sorry I don't come from Mooshu).

Survivor
Sep 08, 2010
I like this thread. I agree with you, and I can think of very few times that I actually USED them.

1. For the Forest Lord quest, 3 Death (come on, 13K health, life? You expect me to hit 2,000 damage per centaur?)
2. On Meowiarty's floor in Big Ben, an Ice and a Life
3. During the Jotun battle, an Ice who died within five turns (lol)

That's about it.