Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

In-Game Help Meet-Ups

AuthorMessage
Champion
May 03, 2011
Sorry, I couldn't think of a better title for this suggestion. I would like to propose something that has been brought up before, but never acted upon--a way to allow players to get help in-game (i.e., without posting pleas here or on Central) for difficult quests. Yeah, you can stand in a common area and yell for help, but that's kind of hard to do for some people (embarrassing and often results in jeers rather than needed assistance), so a more formal solution is really needed.

Now that Henchmen are out of many players' price range, this would seem to me to be even more urgent. (I, too, feel that the "updated" Henchmen are both overpriced and of limited use. There are plenty of threads on this, so I won't elaborate.) But rather than have people quit the game because they can't move on without help, perhaps KI could think of a way to help people get assistance from players who happen to be online at the same time. I have often needed help, for example, late in the evening when no one on my friend list is available.

Yes, there are many reasons this might be a challenge for the designers. But it can be done. And it would help many players stay in the game--especially younger or less-experienced ones. After taking Henchmen out of the game for many of us, KI owes it to the community to come up with an alternative. At least that's how I see it.

Explorer
Mar 02, 2010
agreed
We should start a petition for this
We can do it on w101 central too.

Survivor
Jul 19, 2010
tabby714 wrote:
Sorry, I couldn't think of a better title for this suggestion. I would like to propose something that has been brought up before, but never acted upon--a way to allow players to get help in-game (i.e., without posting pleas here or on Central) for difficult quests. Yeah, you can stand in a common area and yell for help, but that's kind of hard to do for some people (embarrassing and often results in jeers rather than needed assistance), so a more formal solution is really needed.

Now that Henchmen are out of many players' price range, this would seem to me to be even more urgent. (I, too, feel that the "updated" Henchmen are both overpriced and of limited use. There are plenty of threads on this, so I won't elaborate.) But rather than have people quit the game because they can't move on without help, perhaps KI could think of a way to help people get assistance from players who happen to be online at the same time. I have often needed help, for example, late in the evening when no one on my friend list is available. Yes, there are many reasons this might be a challenge for the designers. But it can be done. And it would help many players stay in the game--especially younger or less-experienced ones. After taking Henchmen out of the game for many of us, KI owes it to the community to come up with an alternative. At least that's how I see it.
i'm not sure i get your point, is it like you can "sign" up to help people and you get the drops and money from the fight as normal as a reward, or would the player who needs help have to pay in addition? please respond.

Survivor
Mar 23, 2011
mginatl wrote:
tabby714 wrote:

Now that Henchmen are out of many players' price range, this would seem to me to be even more urgent. (I, too, feel that the "updated" Henchmen are both overpriced and of limited use. There are plenty of threads on this, so I won't elaborate.) But rather than have people quit the game because they can't move on without help, perhaps KI could think of a way to help people get assistance from players who happen to be online at the same time. I have often needed help, for example, late in the evening when no one on my friend list is available. Yes, there are many reasons this might be a challenge for the designers. But it can be done. And it would help many players stay in the game--especially younger or less-experienced ones. After taking Henchmen out of the game for many of us, KI owes it to the community to come up with an alternative. At least that's how I see it.
i'm not sure i get your point, is it like you can "sign" up to help people and you get the drops and money from the fight as normal as a reward, or would the player who needs help have to pay in addition? please respond.

tabby714 is right about the fact that this has been brought up before. The setup was to meet in realm Pixie at the unicorn statue on Unicorn way. There would be experienced players there at given times to help younger wizards and others that need help. The only thing they did request is that you try to do the quest on your own before requiring help. I don't know if this is still taking place or not and I think the meet time was around 8pm central time. There may have been other time frames, but I am not sure.

A possible solution would be if KI could take an area that is already in game and set up a help station. The biggest problem is that many players do not have chat due to their age or parents restrictions.

There would have to be help station in all realms and a way for the people needing help to request it. Sort of like a help wanted board so they could post what they need and when and where and what realm they can be found. This way the board would be seen in all realms and the volunteers would have a fair chance of finding the wizard needing help.

mginatl, NO, the volunteers would only get whatever rewards that were dropped during the battle. They would not be paid in any fashion other than the good feeling you get by helping someone. Any volunteer requiring a crowns gift or treasure cards for helping should be avoided. Scamming would not be tolerated. ( which this warning should be posted at the help wanted board for all who need help to see and for those providing the help also.)

Champion
May 03, 2011

I guess I was thinking of a system where people who are doing the same quest could meet up to do it together--people not necessarily on one's friends' list, but online at the same time for the same purpose. As it stands, yes, you can go to a crowded realm and stand in front of the sigils and ask to join a group, but a more formal arrangement would be really useful, and save people (younger players especially) the pain of rejection. :?

But Fallon181 makes a more interesting suggestion, about help stations (also I didn't know the Unicorn statue tradition, since I've only been playing for about 6 months). Anyway, I think it would be cool if something could be done to facilitate this from the design end. Including, possibly, additions to the chat menu ("I need help with .....")

Yeah, and of course no one would be "paid." That's just wrong.

Survivor
Mar 23, 2011
tabby714 wrote:

I guess I was thinking of a system where people who are doing the same quest could meet up to do it together--people not necessarily on one's friends' list, but online at the same time for the same purpose. As it stands, yes, you can go to a crowded realm and stand in front of the sigils and ask to join a group, but a more formal arrangement would be really useful, and save people (younger players especially) the pain of rejection. :?

But Fallon181 makes a more interesting suggestion, about help stations (also I didn't know the Unicorn statue tradition, since I've only been playing for about 6 months). Anyway, I think it would be cool if something could be done to facilitate this from the design end. Including, possibly, additions to the chat menu ("I need help with .....")

Yeah, and of course no one would be "paid." That's just wrong.

Tabby714, I don't know if the Unicorn Statue thing is still going or not. If I remember correctly, that was almost a year ago. (this is my second account so you will notice a much later join date.) The only thing I could suggest is to check it out, but I know the last time I took my newest wizard to Unicorn way, I did not see any volunteers at the statue.

Thank you for your comment about my suggestion.